• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Huawei doesn't seem to trust Google's ability to keep Android battery drain minimal when it has annoying apps for managing your memory usage and battery drain - ones that refuse to shut up when something isn't Totally Optimized.

Huawei did a good thing here for the average user. I wouldn't trust Google with managing battery drain either.

Also lol @ Google's phone lineup being shit tier last year. Bootlooping 5X's and auto-shutdown 6P's. What junk. Coincidentally, Apple had the same shutdown issues but actually decided to support their phones instead.

Yeah samsung's sensors look uglier than any other phone on the top. Weird. And there's definitely ways of embedding them beneath the screen. They probably just couldn't get it ready in time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
the last thing samsung needs to do is rush. Nobody's gonna get impatient and buy a G6

guess you gotta keep the investors happy, especially after the note 7

Good news: I went in on the S7 deal for T-mobile; had a $110 gift card, so it came out to ~$230. Not bad.

Bad news: I had to get Gold, because Black was sold out.

I'm getting a black case, but the gold on the front will still be exposed. Any suggestions for mitigating the gaudiness of the thing? I feel like I'm going to be a lighthouse for would-be cellphone thieves using this color.

Jigolo

As far as I know, CDMA could be broadcasted over greater distances than GSM back in the day. I could be wrong though
--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gsmarena.com/here_are_a_...shots_of_the_samsung_galaxy_s8-news-23795.php

If LG G6 is 80% StB ratio this looks like it's around 85%. Nice. Still room for front facing speakers too. Whether or not Samsung engineers can get it done is another question.

EDIT: One more in white so you can really make out how big the bezels are

C6NrASMU0AIC1D_.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those sensors at the top look ridiculous. But it's better than the usual phone style of massive bezels.

Jeffrey

It's a white phone that has mostly black sensors on it. The contrast of dark and light is always going to look a bit weird.

I mean most phones don't have so many of those sensor 'circles' .

Looking at my white iPhone 6s plus and there is the headphone hole. Light sensor and the front camera.

It's not some spider face like this.

I still don't really get the point of iris scanner. Guess it's more useful now that the finger print sensor is on the pack. Shoild be able to unlock at a glance, but I remember the note 7 still required some swipes and what not to even activate the iris scanner.

If LG G6 is 80% StB ratio this looks like it's around 85%. Nice. Still room for front facing speakers too. Whether or not Samsung engineers can get it done is another question.

EDIT: One more in white so you can really make out how big the bezels are

C6NrASMU0AIC1D_.jpg
Christ the sensors up top are bothering me. FUCK

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231586755 said:
That's the old Nokia, this is the new Nokia, who is pretty much the old Nokia but under a new name HMD, who is licensing the Nokia name from the old Nokia.

So Microsoft > Nokia > HMD as far as parent company hierarchy goes? I'm even more confused now

NeOak

So Microsoft > Nokia > HMD as far as parent company hierarchy goes? I'm even more confused now
Nokia Mobile -> Microsoft Mobile

Microsoft gives up and returns "Nokia" brand for phones to Nokia

Nokia -> HMD sells phones as "Nokia"

HMD has old Nokia employees, but saying it is the "old" Nokia phone division is wrong.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
S7 is getting Nougat on Verizon

Meanwhile Sammy UK tweeted the S6 firmware is being looked at for quality concerns so sorry for a delay. No word on how long or wtf is borked.

clav

Joy of Linux development + drivers.

Android's update situation won't improve when this problem has existed for decades.

Who pays the engineers to rewrite + recertify software, especially on proprietary hardware? Gotta spend all time + effort on next hardware release.

edit: Now the situation is slowly improving with recent kernel releases (4.9 + 4.10) with the later adding Nexus 5X + 6P + other set top box support. When hardware finally works out of the box within the mainstream Linux Kernel, that's when the update situation will improve.

kharma45

Nokia Mobile -> Microsoft Mobile

Microsoft gives up and returns "Nokia" brand for phones to Nokia

Nokia -> HMD sells phones as "Nokia"

HMD has old Nokia employees, but saying it is the "old" Nokia phone division is wrong.

It's just rebranded Foxconn hardware. There's nothing Nokia about the devices.

Nikodemos

S7 is getting Nougat on Verizon

Meanwhile Sammy UK tweeted the S6 firmware is being looked at for quality concerns so sorry for a delay. No word on how long or wtf is borked.
Same thing happened to Sony last month. They had to stop the roll-out in late January due to bugs, then restarted early Feb, then paused again after anouther round of bugs was found. The affected devices are (just like Samsung) all last-gen (Z5 series, Z4 Tablet, Z4/Z3+).

I personally don't care because I haven't had one for months and it doesn't even pop into my mind anymore but I know the android nerdy masses will freak out like crazy if this is true LOL:

According to an internal Google document seen by 9to5Google, the Mountain View company's next-generation Pixel flagship will forgo the headphone jack. That would be a departure from the current Pixel, for which Google has touted the jack's inclusion as a key feature over Apple's latest iPhone 7 offerings...

While we can't share the nature of the documentation without putting the source at risk, we can say that the language used presents the removal of the jack as a matter of fact. That said, this information is coming from only a single source and we haven't been able to obtain secondary confirmation as of yet.

To make clear the lower confidence we have in this information, we've decided to share it here in the 9to5Google Community section. This is the medium by which we will be sharing unconfirmed rumors going forward. If our confidence increases, they will be promoted to a full report on 9to5Google.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Follow Apple. The irate masses will berate Apple for doing it first but they'll all succumb eventually and forget why they were ever concerned. Then they'll downplay the past when the next big standard change happens and act like removal of the jack was no big deal.

Jeffrey

i dont mind bluetooth, but with most headphones being microusb charging is kind of a pain.

wonder if folks will adapt... but i dont trust cheap chinese bluetooth headphones following usb -c guidelines lol.

There's a mod for s7 edge that allows you to have dual sound through ear speaker. Pretty interesting that this can be accomplished through software. Makes you wonder why companies aren't doing it.

Jeffrey

There's a mod for s7 edge that allows you to have dual sound through ear speaker. Pretty interesting that this can be accomplished through software. Makes you wonder why companies aren't doing it.

people been doing that with nexus stuff for a while. it's hit or miss, but usually better than stock.

people been doing that with nexus stuff for a while. it's hit or miss, but usually better than stock.

Ah never really paid attention to it. I have a S7 Edge and V20 I got through the sale a couple of weeks ago and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep one of them.

S7 Edge has better hardware, battery life, screen, and notification led, and it's waterproof, but root is screwed on it and basically makes your phone lag

V20 has a bigger screen, root doesn't ruin your phone, better call quality, and I like replaceable battery. Screen is kind of washed out and no led notification light.

Groof

the only issue i have with bt headsets is bluetooth itself. it can be too easy to interfere.

also having to worry about battery life while on the go for yet another device is irritating especially since i listen to music for hours on end

I don't even use Bluetooth at all with my iPhone. I just use the lightning EarPods it comes with. Not an audiophile though. Popped on some earskinz and I'm good. Not a fan of IEMs either. Hopefully when they do drop it the USB c pack ins are good. Or in googles case hopefully they're there to begin with. Not sure why they cheaped out on pack ins with the NA pixel.

Jeffrey

Also something android does terrible is that unless your headset has an app you are unlikely able to see the battery life of the headset which ios does well for the most part.

Gotta just wing it.

I just bought Bluetooth iems and the difference in sound quality from wired, Audiophile grade headphones is so apparent. Music sounds muffled with Bluetooth. Either companies improve the sound quality for Bluetooth headphones or they stick with wired.

Top Bottom