• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Image samples from P10 for ty_hot. Bear in mind there are 3 lossless color modes, and I chose vivid colors for these ones. You can have normal and soft color mods as well.

I actually love the B&W bokeh foto.
Downsized to 1600x1200.

Edit: last 2 photos turned out pretty small here, I had to cut them for uploading to the website I was using. I downsized all of them because I was afraid they'd be too big for the forums. I was posting on mobile which doesn't give a very good idea of how someone will see the photos on a normal browser.

IMG_20170304_192836.jpg

IMG_20170304_193855.jpg

Jeffrey

isn't the battery on the not edge version of s7 kinda bad?

Also kinda hard to go back to microusb after pretty much upgrading all my shit to usb-c.

I knew it all along. :)

What's happening with both CDMA & GSM?

It will be major news across U.S. Cellular, Sprint & Verizon as they use CDMA.

It's more that Qualcomm basically owns all the CDMA patents. So to make a CDMA phone, you have to go through royalty hell that Qualcomm to do so. When CDMA goes away and everything goes back to GSM technology with VoLTE and LTE, then CDMA will basically be dead. It's why Verizon doesn't have as many phones on its network as it can because of the requirement of CDMA bands.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Only 10% increase in performance? That seems off. I thought it was supposed to be around 30%.

Benchmarks are largely just number humping anymore anyways.

Day to day tasks of browsing the web, checking emails, messaging, listening to music or podcasts ect... are easily doable.

Plus all of those tests YouTubers do of trying to run from app to app and timing are stupid too as most don't use their phones like that.

Biggest jump will be for pushing games, higher res screens, and AR/VR shit. At least in terms of performance.

Obviously you'll get other things though from top end chips like better camera and DAC like stuff.

clav

When marketing budgets are larger than engineering budgets, you get what's today.

Minimal improvements + more ads telling you to buy the latest thing.

It's more that Qualcomm basically owns all the CDMA patents. So to make a CDMA phone, you have to go through royalty hell that Qualcomm to do so. When CDMA goes away and everything goes back to GSM technology with VoLTE and LTE, then CDMA will basically be dead. It's why Verizon doesn't have as many phones on its network as it can because of the requirement of CDMA bands.

Oh, OK.

But yes, CDMA has definitely got to go.

Plus all of those tests YouTubers do of trying to run from app to app and timing are stupid too as most don't use their phones like that.

The "how fast an app opens" test was the Gold Standard of phone performance for some of our own Android Gaffers who only want Nexus/Pixel stock builds. I haven't seen as much of that lately though. It was always a stupid benchmark of phone performance, like it's literally unusable if the phone opens the app 1 second more slowly.

The "how fast an app opens" test was the Gold Standard of phone performance for some of our own Android Gaffers who only want Nexus/Pixel stock builds. I haven't seen as much of that lately though. It was always a stupid benchmark of phone performance, like it's literally unusable if the phone opens the app 1 second more slowly.

it was ... until oneplus dipped its salty balls in their mouths after washing the pixel.

Benchmarks are largely just number humping anymore anyways.

Day to day tasks of browsing the web, checking emails, messaging, listening to music or podcasts ect... are easily doable.

Biggest jump will be for pushing games, higher res screens, and AR/VR shit. At least in terms of performance.

Obviously you'll get other things though from top end chips like better camera and DAC like stuff.

Benchmarks are still the easiest way to see performance increases between chips. Newer phones from the last couple of years do pretty much everything else the same in terms of speed like web browsing. I would like to see more smartphone gaming benchmarks but those are few and far between on YouTube.

Vanillalite

Benchmarks are still the easiest way to see performance increases between chips. Newer phones from the last couple of years do pretty much everything else the same in terms of speed like web browsing. I would like to see more smartphone gaming benchmarks but those are few and far between on YouTube.

Everyone cheats on those things as it is anyways.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone because my 6P is irritating me.

6P- *I see my battery is at 35%. I hope you don't mind if I shut down now*

Me- **Twiddling my thumbs like a dumbass on the train with headphones on without music.

Groof

I'm thinking of getting a new phone because my 6P is irritating me.

6P- *I see my battery is at 35%. I hope you don't mind if I shut down now*

Me- **Twiddling my thumbs like a dumbass on the train with headphones on without music.

wait until it starts doing it at 50 or 60%, that's when the real fun begins

Jeffrey

At least pixel doesn't rock even if it kinda is shaped like a door wedge.

Honestly in the current state of things if you want a phone to last more than a year, go iPhone.

Or go budget flagship and upgrade every year for the same cost.

diaspora

At least pixel doesn't rock even if it kinda is shaped like a door wedge.

Honestly in the current state of things if you want a phone to last more than a year, go iPhone.

Or go budget flagship and upgrade every year for the same cost.
My S6 hasn't slowed down after 2 years >.>

Groof

the cold definitely affects the battery a lot. all the times it's died at 50-60% for me is when i've been outside in weather under -10 degrees

LeleSocho

Banned
the 6p is still great in p much every aspect except the battery that just seemingly shat on itself.

The 6P has a Snap810, no one should have bought it even at launch leave alone now that other battery problems are emerging.
----

I wanted to ask for a while but why CDMA is even a thing in the US? Did it have some advantage in the pre-smartphone era or it was because US likes to be a primadonna and choose different and weird standards?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The 6P has a Snap810, no one should have bought it even at launch leave alone now that other battery problems are emerging.
----

I wanted to ask for a while but why CDMA is even a thing in the US? Did it have some advantage in the pre-smartphone era or it was because US likes to be a primadonna and choose different and weird standards?

As far as I know, CDMA could be broadcasted over greater distances than GSM back in the day. I could be wrong though
--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gsmarena.com/here_are_a_...shots_of_the_samsung_galaxy_s8-news-23795.php

Vanillalite

----

That too. 6P is auto disqualified due to the thermal issues with the 810.

6 was the last great Google Phone without a rash of issues.

So after cracking the screen of my work iPhone 5C, I got a new choice for a work phone: iPhone SE or Huawei Honor 8. Because I really didn't like iOS at all, I went with the Honor 8 (obviously, because this is an Android thread)

Holy shit this particular manufacturer skin is annoying. It came with Marshmallow out of the box and didn't have a separate home screen and app drawer. It did the iPhone thing instead where every installed app was on the home screen. Thankfully it got a Nougat update and it added the app drawer back in. I like my home screens personalized, thank you very much, none of that iPhone "show every single app" crap.

But a much more annoying thing is the "Phone Manager" app that refuses to shut up about apps using battery in the background. Yes, of course my work VPN app is "using battery" because all data goes through the VPN, that's how it's supposed to work! No, I don't want to close my VPN you idiots, stop these damn notifications!

Huawei doesn't seem to trust Google's ability to keep Android battery drain minimal when it has annoying apps for managing your memory usage and battery drain - ones that refuse to shut up when something isn't Totally Optimized.

So after cracking the screen of my work iPhone 5C, I got a new choice for a work phone: iPhone SE or Huawei Honor 8. Because I really didn't like iOS at all, I went with the Honor 8 (obviously, because this is an Android thread)

Holy shit this particular manufacturer skin is annoying. It came with Marshmallow out of the box and didn't have a separate home screen and app drawer. It did the iPhone thing instead where every installed app was on the home screen. Thankfully it got a Nougat update and it added the app drawer back in. I like my home screens personalized, thank you very much, none of that iPhone "show every single app" crap.

But a much more annoying thing is the "Phone Manager" app that refuses to shut up about apps using battery in the background. Yes, of course my work VPN app is "using battery" because all data goes through the VPN, that's how it's supposed to work! No, I don't want to close my VPN you idiots, stop these damn notifications!

Huawei doesn't seem to trust Google's ability to keep Android battery drain minimal when it has annoying apps for managing your memory usage and battery drain - ones that refuse to shut up when something isn't Totally Optimized.
Once you tap "ignore" for those notifications you won't see them again. You can also visit the permissions menu and turn off those particular notifications.

I have an honor 8 with Nougot too. I suggest using Nova for further customization like hiding apps you can't erase.

Once the phone set up though it is a joy to use. I use new features like split screen on a daily basis; YouTube and browsing.

Top Bottom