• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Detox

Also something android does terrible is that unless your headset has an app you are unlikely able to see the battery life of the headset which ios does well for the most part.

Gotta just wing it.
I'm running lineage os 14.1 on my 4 yr old xperia z and it's got Bluetooth battery on the status bar.

#LifeisGood

Jeffrey

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231620630 said:
Sony is literally the pioneer of android feature sets.

He said he's running lineage though.

Anyways it seems like the battery indicator is up to the hardware folks of each Bluetooth set.

So ymmv!

I personally don't care because I haven't had one for months and it doesn't even pop into my mind anymore but I know the android nerdy masses will freak out like crazy if this is true LOL:

I don't think Google has a choice, they are selling rebranded HTC devices as Pixel and the latest HTC device removes the jack.

I say major android OEMs drop it by 2019. Problem is they've already designed this years products and possibly next years a while ago.

Samsung and LG won't drop it ever, thank God. They have something to bludgeon Apple with forever and it's something with a lot of genuine consumer value.

ty_hot

I use a Plantronics BackBeat Pro, bluetooth while commuting, wired to my PC when at work. I just cant use anything with cables on the go anymore AND I cant use any earphone that doesnt have noise cancelling either. Cables and background noise (that subway sound) are annoying. Battery lasts 20-25 hours, with my commute being 30 minutes it takes the entire month to end the battery. It also has an app for android that shows the battery that is very precise (yday it said 1 hour left, today I am charging it). every once in a while I have problems with bluetooth (disconnection, etc), but its very rare and after 10 seconds everything is fine again.

I don't think Google has a choice, they are selling rebranded HTC devices as Pixel and the latest HTC device removes the jack.

Samsung and LG won't drop it ever, thank God. They have something to bludgeon Apple with forever and it's something with a lot of genuine consumer value.
They also had something to bludgeon apple with when it came to flash, and removable batteries, and whatever else. They'll remove it eventually. Especially when they see it didn't hurt Apple's sales a single bit. And especially if it will help them squeeze more tech into the phone.

Jeffrey

I use a Plantronics BackBeat Pro, bluetooth while commuting, wired to my PC when at work. I just cant use anything with cables on the go anymore AND I cant use any earphone that doesnt have noise cancelling either. Cables and background noise (that subway sound) are annoying. Battery lasts 20-25 hours, with my commute being 30 minutes it takes the entire month to end the battery. It also has an app for android that shows the battery that is very precise (yday it said 1 hour left, today I am charging it). every once in a while I have problems with bluetooth (disconnection, etc), but its very rare and after 10 seconds everything is fine again.

Yeah I use the pro 2 at work. It's still a bit heavy and pushes my glasses a bit too hard though so I generally prefer earbuds.

NeOak

I hate how at&t gets Jack shit.

Maybe I should move to t-mobile,but alas no company discount.

Seems like maybe pixel 2 will ditch the headphone jack. Low confidence rumor though. https://9to5google.com/community/rumor-next-gen-google-pixel-2-ditch-headphone-jack-leak/

I can see it happen though. New usbc headphone exclusive for their new messaging service.

I don't think AT&T ever got a Nexus device branded. Verizon and Sprint have done it because of CDMA. I know T-Mobile offered them branded too.

Unlocked will work because it is GSM/etc, but no VoLTE for it due to IMEI whitelisting.

I don't think AT&T ever got a Nexus device branded. Verizon and Sprint have done it because of CDMA. I know T-Mobile offered them branded too.

Unlocked will work because it is GSM/etc, but no VoLTE for it due to IMEI whitelisting.

Pretty sure they got Nexus 6.

Also AFAIK, EMUI and LG UX has battery indicators for Bluetooth devices.

Futureman

Very impressed with Nougat on my Verizon S7. All the visual changes are nice IMO, performance is better and Always on Display is more useful now showing notifications from everything (before it was just phone calls and maybe the Samsung message app (not sure as I don't use it)).

Battery seems normal so far at ~2 hours off the charger. Very nice Samsung/Google! Will be cool of this phone gets Android O next year.

Loving the second screen on the V20. It's so convenient for messages and quick app launching. Def saves battery due to not having to turn the screen on for things like music and notifications.

I just bought Bluetooth iems and the difference in sound quality from wired, Audiophile grade headphones is so apparent. Music sounds muffled with Bluetooth. Either companies improve the sound quality for Bluetooth headphones or they stick with wired.

If Google does get rid of the headphone jack, they better have some decent quality speakers or something in it's place.

Jeffrey

Removing headphone jack isn't the right way to pick a fight in the flagship space. Don't recall moto z doing amazing. HTC u... Did that come out yet?

S8 basically has every gimmick and gizmo available for smartphone including a headphone jack and its already guaranteed to sell like 10x more than any other Android phone.

Performance and battery shouldn't be an issue with grace UI nougat and sd835.

If money isn't an issue it's really hard to argue for anything else at the top price point in android unless you really care about Google updates that add features LG and Samsung had 4 years ago.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC U Ultra shipments begin Thursday (and no, I didn't bite on that one)

I've seen back and forth on the G6's camera. Android Central dudes love it, while David Ruddock (natch) hates it. /shrug

My wife has to markup a ton of pdf's. I'd like to find her some sort of tablet with stylus support for editing/markup of pdf's. What is out there for that? Can I just use a stndard Android tablet like the ASUS Zenpad S3? and get some sort of smartpen?

What are my options?

Help me gaf! :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My wife has to markup a ton of pdf's. I'd like to find her some sort of tablet with stylus support for editing/markup of pdf's. What is out there for that? Can I just use a stndard Android tablet like the ASUS Zenpad S3? and get some sort of smartpen?

What are my options?

Help me gaf! :D

How much do you want to spend? How big or small?

kaiyo

Same thing happened to Sony last month. They had to stop the roll-out in late January due to bugs, then restarted early Feb, then paused again after anouther round of bugs was found. The affected devices are (just like Samsung) all last-gen (Z5 series, Z4 Tablet, Z4/Z3+).

Sony only stop the roll out once, don't think there was a second one. The roll out restarted on Feb 9th and then a minor update on Feb 20th.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231620630 said:
Sony is literally the pioneer of android feature sets.

They do contribute a lot to AOSP.

So I was reading Reddit and people were getting the Assistant update and I decided to just hold the home button and lo and behold I got it on my V20.

kaiyo

So does Gboard not have an option to store email addresses? That seems like a pretty major feature to be missing...

you can add words as shortcuts. That's what i do for my email, and i swipe a few letters and my email will pop up. You just have to manually added in dictionary in the gboard keyboard settings > dictionary > personal dictionary > for all languages > add

RoKKeR

you can add words as shortcuts. That's what i do for my email, and i swipe a few letters and my email will pop up. You just have to manually added in dictionary in the gboard keyboard settings > dictionary > personal dictionary > for all languages > add

Damn, didn't know that. Will do, thanks.

Has Google addressed the Wikileaks news from today?

Laekon

If you are switching phones all the time, are you transferring messages/txts or just starting fresh every time? I wouldn't mind having a few phones but switching seems a pain because I like to hold onto txt for awhile (for no good reason).

jetsetrez

Assistant seems like it could be really useful and interesting.. except, are you shitting me Google, is there seriously no way to input queries/requests via text? I had to come here to ask just because I just couldn't believe Google would ship a product like this without what for most people would almost surely be the preferred input method.

I would love to pop open Assistant, see my daily agenda/news updates, and maybe plan where I'm going/doing when I get on the train in the morning, but I am definitely not talking to my phone to do it.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, considering how they've handled messaging.

Jeffrey

If you are switching phones all the time, are you transferring messages/txts or just starting fresh every time? I wouldn't mind having a few phones but switching seems a pain because I like to hold onto txt for awhile (for no good reason).

Not really. These days I rarely text anyways. Facebook slack line discord etc.

Wish android was more like ios in which you can restore from backup on a new phone and it's basically a full cloning.
I think the main reason I enjoy swapping phones is the ease of doing it.

Way easier to swap phones over say getting a new TV or new car.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Allo and Duo make switching phones a pain.

ty_hot

Assistant seems like it could be really useful and interesting.. except, are you shitting me Google, is there seriously no way to input queries/requests via text? I had to come here to ask just because I just couldn't believe Google would ship a product like this without what for most people would almost surely be the preferred input method.

I would love to pop open Assistant, see my daily agenda/news updates, and maybe plan where I'm going/doing when I get on the train in the morning, but I am definitely not talking to my phone to do it.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, considering how they've handled messaging.

It does support input. I write "set alarm XX" and it works.

Vanillalite

Basically seems like you want Google Now

Jeffrey

Bummer that it seems like only Sony has stereo speakers for first chunk of 2017.

You'd think everyone would steal apples implementation which they stole from HTC who apparently abandoned it.

Maybe 2018.

Vanillalite

Samsung really fucking with timetables this year since they seem to have a times exclusive window of the 835 chip.

Pushes back everyone else's phone by a couple months this year.

On the flip side it could in theory help Google. The 835 in the Pixel will still be in all the other flagship phones, but in theory it won't feel as old if we don't get phones till June or hell July/August if stock issues.

Jeffrey

Samsung really fucking with timetables this year since they seem to have a times exclusive window of the 835 chip.

Pushes back everyone else's phone by a couple months this year.

On the flip side it could in theory help Google. The 835 in the Pixel will still be in all the other flagship phones, but in theory it won't feel as old if we don't get phones till June or hell July/August if stock issues.

I mean it's not like the 821 is a slouch. Especially these days when 625 can basically handle stock Android about as smooth and snappy.

I'm gonna guess those phone buff speed tests between a OP3T and op4 are gonna be close. Heck op3t will probably beat the s8 us variant lol.

Top Bottom