• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Where are my Gizmodo iPhone 4 style leaks for the new iPhone??

Maybe later lol.

I assume we will get more hints with iOS 11 Beta.

Still no leaks about android o?

Laekon

Anyone bought a used phone off Amazon before? A store with 99% positive and over 68K reviews has the international S7 for $410 listed as like new. New ones are $460. Don't need a new phone but would like to stop thinking about battery life everyday with my 5X.

llehuty

Anyone bought a used phone off Amazon before? A store with 99% positive and over 68K reviews has the international S7 for $410 listed as like new. New ones are $460. Don't need a new phone but would like to stop thinking about battery life everyday with my 5X.
Worrying about battery life and buying a used phone sounds quite counterproductive.

Pachimari

I thought all you doges knew I skipped 2016 to wait for 2017 while riding out this old ass LG G3. LoL
The LG G3 still rocks though. Best phone I've ever had.

I can't find anything on the current market like this one.

Although if I had the money I would spend it on Samsung. I've never bought a Samsung smartphone.

Jeffrey

If it's $50 difference might as well get new.

Just wait a month until s8 to get it cheaper.

Laekon

If it's $50 difference might as well get new.

Just wait a month until s8 to get it cheaper.

Very true. The price is dropping everyday but then at some point it stops or goes up. Some times you see the price of an older item go up when the new one is a disappointment.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Meet the new new new new NEW Google Hangouts

Verge

d_inscreen_01_room_2x.png.png.0.png

d_inscreen_02_search_2x.png.png.png

Toki767

Hangouts becoming two mobile apps, one for video and one for chat, is the stupidest thing.

People like using Hangouts because it's supposed to be an all in one solution.

And they'll add chat bots to Hangouts but they won't add Google Assistant. So stupid.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pretty hilarious. I should just enable iMessage already. No one is making a good messenger with cross compatibility on everything.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Google: they will choose two of the four, right guys?????

I don't see the issue. Hangouts is clearly going the corporate web meetings/presentation route. It's even more clear after today. And Allo/Duo should be the consumer/fun tools.

If they give us Allo PC chat like Hangouts, I am switching in a heartbeat.

I don't see the issue. Hangouts is clearly going the corporate web meetings/presentation route. It's even more clear after today. And Allo/Duo should be the consumer/fun tools.

Alot of the stuff they are adding are things people have wanted for consumer use.

teiresias

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231777169 said:
The verge is garbage.

So it's even worse, they are splitting hangouts into two different services.

https://blog.google/products/g-suite/meet-the-new-enterprise-focused-hangouts/

Glad I went ahead and went back to the Voice app for everything. This crap is ridiculous, but probably makes sense if they're making it more of an enterprise solution so companies can decide whether they want to support both functionalities.

TTOOLL

It's working! That's why people use Facebook or whatsapp instead, since they do pretty much everything Google tries in four different apps.

I use google hangout to make free local calls and cheap international call. Fuck google if they take it away. It is highly mismanaged company when it comes to apps doing same shit.

And this is why you don't put a 3000mah battery in a 5.7 inch QHD display:

(U Ultra, heavy LTE-only day with photos and an hour of music streaming. 8 hours off charger.)
C6gu5LAU4AAIDTo.jpg:large
re: HTC U Ultra. Terrible. Forgot it has that ticker too.

And this is why you don't put a 3000mah battery in a 5.7 inch QHD display:

re: HTC U Ultra. Terrible. Forgot it has that ticker too.

I have Lg G3 which is similar in size and battery. It lasts around 3 hours of SOT.

Honestly screen on time is not fair criteria unless you are not doing anything else and just running screen. If I am running games it is much less life than just browsing.

My Mi5 lasts around 6 hours of SOT if i am doing browsing and youtube.

I have Lg G3 which is similar in size and battery. It lasts around 3 hours of SOT.

Honestly screen on time is not fair criteria unless you are not doing anything else and just running screen. If I am running games it is much less life than just browsing.

My Mi5 lasts around 6 hours of SOT if i am doing browsing and youtube.
well this does have the extra ticker and it is running a more efficient cpu than the g3 did so it's still super disappointing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There was also talk of the Exynos version taking a big battery hit but haven't heard anything since the first week. The Nexus phones took a hit to battery life after the upgrade but it seemed to stabilize.

My Axon 7 has worse battery life after getting nougat and I only use it on wifi. Split screen works nice though.

xero273

not sure if this is a bug, but smart lock on my oneplus 3t doesn't work anymore. I tried resetting the location but everytime i type in my home address, it keeps searching and nothing comes up. Anyone run into this problem?

Is it even worth buying last year's phone once the price drops? Like, I get the low price, but that's one less year it's relevant and one less year it could potentially be useful.

Laekon

Is it even worth buying last year's phone once the price drops? Like, I get the low price, but that's one less year it's relevant and one less year it could potentially be useful.

I don't feel phones are changing that much right now in terms of performance. Most apps still aren't taking advantage of multiple cores and so new processors aren't making noticeable differences. Benchmarks are always getting higher but noticeable differences are not seen in my opinion. So yes a 1 year old phone is a good value.

I really have to say how much the s7 edge sucks. I've tried this phone 2 different times in the last year and I could never use this on a daily basis. The V20 on the other hand is very nice. Great big screen, great audio quality, easier rooting that doesn't ruin the phone, no stupid curved edges. Wide angle camera. It's a win. S7 Edge is going back to T-Mobile.

Jeffrey

Huh just read that iPhone 7 plus was updated sometime after launch to actually utilize the extra 1gb of ram for memory management. I wonder if it can multitask better than 6gb ram androids lol.

Doesn't someone here have a 7 plus.

ty_hot

Found a great deal on the Asus Zenfone 3 (not the max) for my dad in Brazil. 20% off in the cheapest price ever (it will still be 385eur/410usd though...)

5,5'', full hd, fingerprint, 64gb, 4gb ram, android 7.0, snap 625.
Perfect for him (basically email+whatsapp phone, he just needs bigger storage for photos and bigger screen to read easily, and 4gb is great for future proofing it a little, 625 is battery friendly also).

He is coming from a gen1 Moto E, which he can only install whatsapp and nothing more (it has only 4gb of internal memory lol). Im sure it will be a huge upgrade and even he will notive the difference. (he is the type of tech guy that says stuff like 'is the internet faster? - after buying a new computer...)

Anything terribly bad in the phone ? (I am aware of the asus bloatware, but most of it can be unninstalled and the rest disabled, so its ok... plus Google Now Launcher to make it look better)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Huh just read that iPhone 7 plus was updated sometime after launch to actually utilize the extra 1gb of ram for memory management. I wonder if it can multitask better than 6gb ram androids lol.

Doesn't someone here have a 7 plus.
Yeah but I haven't turned it on in weeks. It probably has to be updated a bunch heh. Do you seriously want me to check? I can although you'll need to be specific in your request.

I have only been using my SE and man, I don't miss a big screen at all. I've been going bigger and bigger, peaking at the Nexus 6. I implore all you big screen users to give a small phone a shot.

derFeef

Hey folks! I think I will jump to the Android platform really soon. Now I am looking into smaller phones, 5" or less, and eyeballing the Xperia Z Compact. Now benchmarks and all that do not seem that great in comparison. Was there a general consensus if Nougat improves that a bit? Is it maybe recommended to root it and get rid of the Sony stuff to make it more performant?

Top Bottom