• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

LeleSocho

Banned
Hey folks! I think I will jump to the Android platform really soon. Now I am looking into smaller phones, 5" or less, and eyeballing the Xperia Z Compact. Now benchmarks and all that do not seem that great in comparison. Was there a general consensus if Nougat improves that a bit? Is it maybe recommended to root it and get rid of the Sony stuff to make it more performant?

Assuming you are talking about the Z5 Compact (the first one was released in 2014 that's very old) It's not worth at all, it was released in a year when chips were pretty crappy... it will overheat/throttle like crazy. No Nougat will not make the experience better.
I suggest looking at the 2017 version of the Samsung A3 or A5 depending on the size you like the most.
Otherwise if you want cheaper stuff and you are not scared of tinkering with your phone i'd look for Xiaomi selection.

derFeef

Assuming you are talking about the Z5 Compact (the first one was released in 2014 that's very old) It's not worth at all, it was released in a year when chips were pretty crappy... it will overheat/throttle like crazy. No Nougat will not make the experience better.
I suggest looking at the 2017 version of the Samsung A3 or A5 depending on the size you like the most.
Otherwise if you want cheaper stuff and you are not scared of tinkering with your phone i'd look for Xiaomi selection.

Thanks for the info! I want to avoid Samsung but I guess in my case it won't be easy, lol.

Furyous

Hey folks! I think I will jump to the Android platform really soon. Now I am looking into smaller phones, 5" or less, and eyeballing the Xperia Z Compact. Now benchmarks and all that do not seem that great in comparison. Was there a general consensus if Nougat improves that a bit? Is it maybe recommended to root it and get rid of the Sony stuff to make it more performant?

The X Compact is comparable to the iPhone SE. The Huawei P10/P10+ is your best bet if you want to own a device similar to the iPhone 7/7+. It runs a skin similar to iOS and includes a microsd card slot and IR blaster. The P10 brings two day battery life thanks to its 1080p display.

LeleSocho

Banned
The X Compact is comparable to the iPhone SE. The Huawei P10/P10+ is your best bet if you want to own a device similar to the iPhone 7/7+. It runs a skin similar to iOS and includes a microsd card slot and IR blaster. The P10 brings two day battery life thanks to its 1080p display.

Maybe i misinterpreted but i don't think he wants to pay full flagship price for his next phone that's why i suggested those one, if you are willing to pick a top of the line though then yeah Huawei P10 seems the best bet for size (it's 5 inches) and familiarity with the UI.

derFeef

Yes :D
Not a flagship. A good, compact phone that does not feel cheap. After browsing a bit, the A3 really looks like my best bet.

Hangouts meet logo.

These guys are just trolling.

ap_resize.php

Jeffrey

Yeah but I haven't turned it on in weeks. It probably has to be updated a bunch heh. Do you seriously want me to check? I can although you'll need to be specific in your request.

I have only been using my SE and man, I don't miss a big screen at all. I've been going bigger and bigger, peaking at the Nexus 6. I implore all you big screen users to give a small phone a shot.

Yeah don't care that much lol. Might snag a cheap used 7 plus at some point.

I agree going smaller is pleasant. I did kinda go from a mate 9 to a pixel lol.

Reckoner

Yeah but I haven't turned it on in weeks. It probably has to be updated a bunch heh. Do you seriously want me to check? I can although you'll need to be specific in your request.

I have only been using my SE and man, I don't miss a big screen at all. I've been going bigger and bigger, peaking at the Nexus 6. I implore all you big screen users to give a small phone a shot.

I kinda did this going from the Nexus 6 to the iPhone 6s. I'm not going back.

kaiyo

What are you talking about?

The very first Xperia compact (z1 compact) came out in early 2014. Xperia Z3 compact came out in late 2014. Z5 compact came out in late 2015. Z5 is probably the better phone with SD810 that came out that year.

Any who, he was referring to Xperia X compact which released fall 2016 with SD650. It's a pretty decent phone.

Maybe i misinterpreted but i don't think he wants to pay full flagship price for his next phone that's why i suggested those one, if you are willing to pick a top of the line though then yeah Huawei P10 seems the best bet for size (it's 5 inches) and familiarity with the UI.

Then why would you mention Z5 compact at all?

Jeffrey

Irregardless of how scummy dbrand is, they've dropped a not so subtle hint of the S8: https://twitter.com/dbrand/status/840244398923403268

Looks like the leaks we've been seeing recently are actually real.
I mean the leaks are not really leaks but more like... I assume you probably can buy a s8 now if you look hard enough lol.

S8+ in a case.

https://twitter.com/techdroider/status/840240012167856128

Cases kinda ruin the edge look imo but I wouldn't want to drop a s8 especially if the rumored price hike is true.

LeleSocho

Banned
What are you talking about?

The very first Xperia compact (z1 compact) came out in early 2014. Xperia Z3 compact came out in late 2014. Z5 compact came out in late 2015. Z5 is probably the better phone with SD810 that came out that year.
That's what i said? the first one released in 2014 and the Z5 has the Snap810 which is crap.

Any who, he was referring to Xperia X compact which released fall 2016 with SD650. It's a pretty decent phone.

Then why would you mention Z5 compact at all?
My bad there, for some reason i totally forgot the X Compact existed... it's indeed a pretty decent phone too bad it being at 28nm so battery might not be the best but hey if it's nicer looking in your eyes than the ones i said then sure i think it's a nice alternative if found at a good price.

I mentioned the Z5 compact because it being an old phone i thought he found it at a decent price and was oriented towards that.

Jeffrey

Anyone use dbrand? They pretty much fund the YouTube phone review scene.

But these are pretty pricy. Feel like it's cheaper to just get a case.

IronRaven

I guess the tone about dbrand is different here than on other discussion boards I've been on. I've seen a lot of hate for dbrand else where.

zewone

I actually just bought my first dbrand today.

I got the G5 yesterday. I don't usually like cases, but G5 seems like it would be a bit easier to slip.

I feel like a skin can help without adding on the extra bulk of a case.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Talking about cases, anyone know of a Moto Z bumper that allows for mods?

I tried the Incipio one and it's huge and adds a lot more bulk than I feel necessary, too much depth between the edge and the screen, almost 2 mm.

And the Verizon one is ultra slippery though otherwise what I need.

I can't believe there's not cheap knockoff ones out there out of a matte grippy silicone/tpu.

Zoogue used to make these perfect for me "classic" or "social" cases which had this perfect matte grippy side texture but nothing there anymore for the Z.

I might be just bad with these things but dbrand is hard as fuck to install. I had a spare phone and got a free one so I tried applying it....shit's a whole to-do. I watched the installation video on the the site and the shit was almost 5 mins long.

I probably just have no patience for those types of things.

Jeffrey

I might be just bad with these things but dbrand is hard as fuck to install. I had a spare phone and got a free one so I tried applying it....shit's a whole to-do. I watched the installation video on the the site and the shit was almost 5 mins long.

I probably just have no patience for those types of things.
I just watched the video and it's basically a screen protector process? Well with some hair dryer the curves lol.

Man I do hope the snapdragon s8 doesn't run like ass.

Hogging up the new chipset and using it bad would be a bummer!

The UI will be ass I'm sure. Samsung can get fucked for ruining performance even more on their phones when rooted and blowing a fuse in it. That shit is going overboard. I could never seriously use a Samsung phone for long periods of time now since Knox started up.

-edit- Well I might use the international versions since those don't seem to have the issues with unlocking and flashing custom roms like the qualcomm variants have.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Talking about cases, anyone know of a Moto Z bumper that allows for mods?

I tried the Incipio one and it's huge and adds a lot more bulk than I feel necessary, too much depth between the edge and the screen, almost 2 mm.

And the Verizon one is ultra slippery though otherwise what I need.

I can't believe there's not cheap knockoff ones out there out of a matte grippy silicone/tpu.

Zoogue used to make these perfect for me "classic" or "social" cases which had this perfect matte grippy side texture but nothing there anymore for the Z.
There's this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/edge-mod-supercharge-your-moto-z#/

$15 bumper.

Lulubop

So my galaxy 7 edge has a permanent screen zoom that I can't seem to get rid off. Any ideas? I've messed around with the settings but I can't figure it out

Futureman

anyone know if T-Mobile will still pay for your early termination fee (Verizon) if you switch?

I use Google Voice and once again Verizon is charging me for like $20 in text messages. Tired of this happening, so I just want to get on a plan that has unlimited text and data.

Jeffrey

Man even floss didn't give the new HTC a go and he loves like every phone lol.

Saying it's not worth the 800 he paid after tax.

Top Bottom