• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

950. Like I said in the WP thread, I wanted something smaller/less expensive either way.
Oh, that's going to be rough. You're still switching from a former high-end phone to a low-end phone. It's like switching from a 950 to a 530. Now I'm really curious about your experience.

derFeef

Oh, that's going to be rough. You're still switching from a former high-end phone to a low-end phone. It's like switching from a 950 to a 530. Now I'm really curious about your experience.

We'll see. I am having too much troubles with (now rolled back to production build) WP and apps that I use daily, that I don't really know how much worse it can get honestly.
edit: fwiw I will be sending in my 950 to "repair" through my provider because of crashing problems. If it comes back better then maybe my GF can have it, or I will switch back (doubt it).

Try messing with this launcher if you miss win start screen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.squarehome2

Thanks, that looks neat :)
Really new with that launcher stuff - does that add to CPU/RAM usage on top of vanilla OS?

LeleSocho

Banned

????????????
Maybe the camera and the display resolution but for the other things he will hardly feel a difference.
Also you have an incredibly weird definition of low-end.
Edit: Actually the fact that you used the 530 as a comparison it makes me understand that you know what low end means, you just don't know anything about the A3.

Jeffrey

Thanks, that looks neat :)
Really new with that launcher stuff - does that add to CPU/RAM usage on top of vanilla OS?

Depends on the launcher naturally but generally it shouldn't be notable on recent hardware. Just have to try it yourself.

The app is free.

????????????
Maybe the camera and the display resolution but for the other things he will hardly feel a difference.
Also you have an incredibly weird definition of low-end.
Edit: Actually the fact that you used the 530 as a comparison it makes me understand that you know what low end means, you just don't know anything about the A3.
Perhaps I'm using the term too broadly, but I saw the specs of the A3 and they're equivalent to the specs of a high-end phone from 2012-2013. For me, that's low-end in 2017.

But perhaps you're right and the A3 performs a lot better than I expect it to. I'm just always wary of Android on lower specifications.

LeleSocho

Banned
Perhaps I'm using the term too broadly, but I saw the specs of the A3 and they're equivalent to the specs of a high-end phone from 2012-2013. For me, that's low-end in 2017.

But perhaps you're right and the A3 performs a lot better than I expect it to. I'm just always wary of Android on lower specifications.

You are surely using the term too broadly, the processes are refined so even if at first look a phone looks like the same of a 2013 one if you look closely there are differences that makes them better, the A3 for example is a "low hanging fruit" of the mid-to-high end devices.
I suggest trying one of these devices from the same category even if not Samsung, they are amazing they perform without exaggerating 80-90% of the top of the line SoC and if you manage to find a good deal you end up paying a third or a quarter of the price of the highest end flagship.
Usually the Achilles' heel of these devices is the camera which can be pretty bad.

ty_hot

I got a new transparent cover for my phone, a Nillkin. It's amazing. Fits perfectly to the buttons/holes and is very thin. It also protects the usb-c port so that dirt doesn't go I there.

I had another one before that made the phone double its thickness almost (not literally, but that's how it felt). I have a OP3T btw. My girlfriend has a Galaxy A5 1000 and had a Nexus 6P and she always uses Nillkin as well, always perfect.

They are hard to find in Europe (we found the galaxy and nexus ones once in Lithuania for 10€ each, bought), but it's easy to get then online (eBay shipping from within Europe or aliexpress).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
galaxy-s8-leaks-colors.jpg

Black Pearl, white, Blue Coral, silver, gold, and black.

TTOOLL

Any app that can show my to-do list as a notification in the status bar?
I'm currently using Calendar Notify but it won's show my tasks, I'm also using Weather Timeline to show temperature. I'l like to have everything there.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Black front plus white back is the best combo. Panda phones are excellent.

So apparently. Samsung tried to put the print scanner inside the display but were frustrated and couldn't figure it out in time so they shoved in that weird place in the back instead. How I read is, they saw the rumour that apple was going bezeless and embedding the scanner and tried to replicate it in time and only got part way there since they started too late.

Jeffrey

So apparently. Samsung tried to put the print scanner inside the display but were frustrated and couldn't figure it out in time so they shoved in that weird place in the back instead. How I read is, they saw the rumour that apple was going bezeless and embedding the scanner and tried to replicate it in time and only got part way there since they started too late.
Wonder if Apple will make it in time.

Otherwise could be the main feature of iPhone 8s

Wonder if Apple will make it in time.

Otherwise could be the main feature of iPhone 8s
I think they will. They've likely been developing it for years if patents are anything to go by. Apple won't go bezeless and move a scanner to the back. They'd rather just not do any of it and wait another year.

They're doin it all me thinks. Too much smoke.

Jeffrey

Didn't note 7 iris scanner require you to swipe a few times to even start it? Hopefully they make it seem less.

Anyone else here that go between the 2 platforms just hate how slow ios scrolls lol. 100 posts per page neogaf is torture.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sorta want the GS8, but I'm semi tempted to just say fuck it and get the GS7 Edge deal at BB vs the price difference of getting the GS8E.

Supposedly Nougat helped smooth out the performance issues it has me wondering if I'd rather take the deal on the older phone.

Hmmmmmmmm

Jeffrey

Sorta want the GS8, but I'm semi tempted to just say fuck it and get the GS7 Edge deal at BB vs the price difference of getting the GS8E.

Supposedly Nougat helped smooth out the performance issues it has me wondering if I'd rather take the deal on the older phone.

Hmmmmmmmm

Tim schulfield rereview said the 820 S7 edge has worse performance with nougat lol.

Jeffrey

Well fuck NVM then
Are you looking at the $200 gift card promo?

Seems like a solid price for arguably the best overall phone of 2016 if you aren't super anal about performance. I bet a clean install will fix battery and lag issues as usual.

Probably better deals in a month though.

Vanillalite

Are you looking at the $200 gift card promo?

Seems like a solid price for arguably the best overall phone of 2016 if you aren't super anal about performance. I bet a clean install will fix battery and lag issues as usual.

Probably better deals in a month though.

Yeah was just gonna flip the $200 toward a Switch if they ever fucking come back in stock. Nintendo always gonna be cagey and under ship though.

Seriously though I'm at the point in Android land where I want to pull an AJ and just go get an iPhone at the Apple store tomorrow.

Vanillalite

Just wait 1 month after the s8 comes out and it'll be on ebay for 500 off contract.

I got the oldest phone of any of the regulars in here.

Y'all forget how long my ass been waiting, and my phone battery has shit the bed hardcore as of late. That and I got this stupid duplicate texts bug where I get the same texts from people coming in over and over again.

Jeffrey

Yeah was just gonna flip the $200 toward a Switch if they ever fucking come back in stock. Nintendo always gonna be cagey and under ship though.

Seriously though I'm at the point in Android land where I want to pull an AJ and just go get an iPhone at the Apple store tomorrow.

If you want an iPhone,snag a used 6s plus. Faster than all Android still and still got a headphone jack lol.

My girlfriend is running a Moto G (first generation), and is looking to upgrade because it's on its last legs. The main constraint is that it needs to be not too expensive, so high end stuff is pretty much out unless it's older or at an extreme discount.

The second constraint is that it needs to be not much bigger than the Moto G. Apparently she already has difficulty fitting that one in pockets. All other things being equal, higher battery life is preferred.

Location is Australia. What are the options here?

My girlfriend is running a Moto G (first generation), and is looking to upgrade because it's on its last legs. The main constraint is that it needs to be not too expensive, so high end stuff is pretty much out unless it's older or at an extreme discount.

The second constraint is that it needs to be not much bigger than the Moto G. Apparently she already has difficulty fitting that one in pockets. All other things being equal, higher battery life is preferred.

Location is Australia. What are the options here?
you won't find a phone that small in the android world these days that isn't absolute trash other than maybe the Xperia Z5 Compact. Check if that's available in your region. Might be expensive though but it's the best fit for your request.

Everything else WILL be bigger, some notably bigger. I guess check out the Samsung Galaxy A3/A5.

If iOS is an option, the iphone SE fits perfect too. Inexpensive in amurrica, not sure about australia though.

you won't find a phone that small in the android world these days that isn't absolute trash other than maybe the Xperia Z5 Compact. Check if that's available in your region. Might be expensive though but it's the best fit for your request.

Everything else WILL be bigger, some notably bigger. I guess check out the Samsung Galaxy A3/A5.

If iOS is an option, the iphone SE is fits perfect too. Inexpensive in amurrica, not sure about australia though.

The screen can be a bit bigger as long as the total size of the phone isn't much bigger. Most of the slim-bezel ones are probably high end though.

The screen can be a bit bigger as long as the total size of the phone isn't much bigger. Most of the slim-bezel ones are probably high end though.
the A3/A5 are a bit bigger but yeah the vast majority of android phones these days other than the z5 compact are much much bigger than the original moto G.

Definitely see if you can find the z5 compact for cheap somewhere. That or SE. If slightly bigger is ok then check one of those samsung phones. Even something like the S5 Mini you can probably find cheap but that's really....really...old. Kind of a waste of money imo.

Jeffrey

I think the iPhone 6 6s 7 are roughly similar size to moto g if the price works out better.

This actually is the first time I've ever heard a lady putting their phone in their pocket over a purse lol. Not easy to stash a modern smartphone in pants of any size imo. You kinda are restricted to loose stuff like khakis or sweatpants or gym shorts.

I'm getting a warped sense of prices I think because looking up the Samsung A5 it's like $650 dollars. Is the 2016 A5 good enough? I can probably find that cheaper but not sure where might sell them.

I think the iPhone 6 6s 7 are roughly similar size to moto g if the price works out better.

This actually is the first time I've ever heard a lady putting their phone in their pocket over a purse lol. Not easy to stash a modern smartphone in pants of any size imo. You kinda are restricted to loose stuff like khakis or sweatpants or gym shorts.

She wears jeans a lot and has a wallet case for the moto g currently. I don't have trouble fitting my Lumia 950xl in my Jeans but I am quite tall.

I'm getting a warped sense of prices I think because looking up the Samsung A5 it's like $650 dollars. Is the 2016 A5 good enough? I can probably find that cheaper but not sure where might sell them.

She wears jeans a lot and has a wallet case for the moto g currently.
2016 A5 is much bigger than her moto g though...and not a ton better but it is better. Kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Shit sucks.

The Moto 4 Plus is going for cheap, but is also much bigger.

Z5 compact does look good but that fucking price. I may have to consider the Ebay route.
I'll throw another good phone into the mix... check out the OnePlus X. Warning though, you will not get anymore software updates/android versions from official channels because the chip is no longer supported. If she's fine using what's in the box then it's probably the best one by far that you can get for a low price. Warning though that it's bigger than her current phone. But definitely comes in cheaper. Downside again is no updates.

Also keep checking if you can get a used/refurbished iphone SE.

clav

SE is a definite no, she's not interested in getting an iPhone. But thanks for all the recommendations.
Baseline screen length for Android is 5 inches now, so that adds about 12.7 mm from the original 4.5 inch screen in the Moto G.

She will have to accept new phone lengths, or it really makes buying a small phone budget phone nearly impossible. No manufacturer is going to make a 720p screen smaller now when there's one size that fits all at a very low price.

If she's willing to pay more, Sony phones tend to run small.

Top Bottom