• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Worth noting Ruddock admitted he has more info. He's just not sharing it till he gets more sources to confirm shit.

screenshot_2017-03-14wtjs9.png

I want less leaks these days. Leaks are always underwhelming due to potato cam.

I need marketing hype. Surface book had no leaks so the reveal was pure hype.

The Surface Book was pure hype, because it's a laptop hybrid from the Surface hardware team. No amount of hype and reveal magic could save any of the phones these days, unless it's something completely new.

Can you imagine sitting in a big theater, anxiously waiting for the big reveal of Google's first own phone ever, Sundar Pichai coming on stage and speaking a couple of words, lights go out, hype marketing video starts playing and at the end, they reveal the fucking Pixel?

106PwpLIIXJnXi.gif

I'm not even convinced that the reveal of the anniversary iPhone would be that interesting, even without any leaks beforehand. Perhaps if they refreshed the UI. Otherwise it's going to be just another iPhone with a bigger screen, less bezel and the same home screen we've known for a decade now. Even if we wouldn't know any of the technical details, the embedded fingerprint sensor would be the only, truly interesting feature and even that's something people have been waiting and anticipating for years now, because fingerprint sensors on the back are a bad compromise.

derFeef

What's the best launcher anyway? Everyone suggests Nova but I am not happy with it as well. I tried that W10 tile launcher and it's no real substitute ´to WP (what is) so I will go a different route.

Vanillalite

What's the best launcher anyway? Everyone suggests Nova but I am not happy with it as well. I tried that W10 tile launcher and it's no real substitute ´to WP (what is) so I will go a different route.

Don't fixate on the launcher. You'll be actively using apps on your phone 99% of the time anyways. Focus more on finding the apps you like.

Don't fixate on the launcher. You'll be actively using apps on your phone 99% of the time anyways. Focus more on finding the apps you like.
although I agree that people spend little time on their homescreens, on android launchers could speed up devices too. When I had an S6, Nova was way snappier and less lag/hiccup prone than stock touchwiz.

Hasney

But a good launcher makes it faster and easier to get in said apps. Hell, when I have certain widgets on the launcher, I can do stuff like play music without even opening an app.

ty_hot

Most of them don't even move the icons

Most of them move them by accident but swear to god they had nothing to do with it, they moded by themselves!

My godmother has a Samsung, she has 5 homescreens, she had Facebook in all of them, I asked why and she said that 'it's disapearing so i need to put another one' lol not to say that the icons are positioned randomly. Mine are always in the last (or the 2 last) rows, the average user has them all over the place lol

It's wierd to say but there is a lot to be improved in UI for phones still, even though for us everything works perfectly (almost), for many people these things still dont make sense.

akileese

Galaxy S8 launcher

lol

Half those icons do not even pass a fucking eye test. I look at them and have zero idea what they are or do. Granted, I've been up since 5am and running on four hours of sleep, but I shouldn't need cognitive thought to figure out what an icon opens. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

derFeef

What's your issue with Nova?

I guess not issue per se, but I always see slick an minimal Nova shots and I have no idea how to do that, lol. I guess I need to put in more time - also Prime maybe...
Also I really have no idwa how to sync my outlook.com calendar with the phone so I can use it properly. I guess it's not possible. Contact import works, but not all data get's synced sadly. Like birthdays are missing.

Vanillalite

although I agree that people spend little time on their homescreens, on android launchers could speed up devices too. When I had an S6, Nova was way snappier and less lag/hiccup prone than stock touchwiz.

But a good launcher makes it faster and easier to get in said apps. Hell, when I have certain widgets on the launcher, I can do stuff like play music without even opening an app.

I got that, but they are already using Nova. I just have a feeling that...

I guess not issue per se, but I always see slick an minimal Nova shots and I have no idea how to do that, lol. I guess I need to put in more time - also Prime maybe...

Yep that they are fixated with super theming their phone like some screenshot they saw somewhere vs apps and usability.

Too many people new to Android fall into that must theme, root, and rom asap like it's 2013.

derFeef

Eh, I prefer usability over look, but one not mean I can't have the other. TouchWiz is really not for me. I am used to see what apps have something new for me at a glance - like mail, twitter, facebook and so on. as of now it's mixed across the board or I need a thrid party app for specific apps.

longdi

Banned
I have no issue with touchwiz launcher, i just change Samsung terrible skin to a dark theme found in their apps store.

Using a third party launch adds some micro lags ime

Nikodemos

The Galaxy Tab S3 is, after 1 and a half year, the next high end Android Tablet (after the Pixel C). The Pixel C is soooo overpriced, still at the 700 mark lol. So why wouldnt Samsung price it like that?

Android tablets are a joke, long live the Nexus 7 (2013!) that is still awesome and costed me 200 yeeeaaaarssss ago. (and has a higher pixel density than the S3, almost 4 years later and 3 times its price).
Yeah, it's quite bad in the world of Android tablets.

Especially since no company seems willing to make a reasonably high-end-ish compact tablet anymore. I can't find even a single tablet with the sweet spot combo of an SD652 (or 653) and 4 GB RAM. They either have 4 GB but the weaker 650 (like the new Zenpad 3 8.0), or the 652 but only 3 GB RAM (like the Tab S2). I was hoping Sony would unveil something, but all I got was deafening silence.

And then there are all the other makers churning out those garbage octa-core A53 tablets with bottom-barrel GPUs. No wonder users think Android tablets are garbage. Put out cheap shit, be seen as cheap shit.

zewone

So somethings really wrong with the battery drain on my G5. I felt it was using battery too fast.

I decided to test by leaving my phone at 100% charged unplugged overnight while I slept.

in 8 hours or so it went from 100% to 9% without me even touching the phone.

This is ridiculously bad.

I do leave bluetooth, wifi, nfc, and GPS on. It's possible this is a problem, but it hasn't been on my past phones.

My G5 is on Nougat and I did factory reset after upgrading to 7.0.

Linking to album on imgur as images are large:

https://imgur.com/a/eCHVA

Laekon

So somethings really wrong with the battery drain on my G5. I felt it was using battery too fast.

I decided to test by leaving my phone at 100% charged unplugged overnight while I slept.

Did you just update it? My 5X standby was nothing after the update and it magically fixed itself after a week or so.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
forum_packshot-png.507759

Friends,

At OnePlus, we focus on creating products with meticulous design and expert craftsmanship. This is a belief we share with colette. The iconic concept store in Paris has transcended boundaries to attract worldwide recognition with their high-end and exclusive product offering. Their approach mirrors our own, thanks to their exacting quality demands and detail-oriented work philosophy.

Our latest device epitomizes our work with colette, reflecting our shared attention to detail and devotion to experiences of unparalleled quality. The pop-ups we've hosted in collaboration with colette have drawn hundreds of OnePlus fans to Paris, and now we're taking our partnership to the next level.

Together, we're proud to announce the OnePlus 3T colette edition. The colette edition of the OnePlus 3T is a remarkable and painstakingly designed smartphone that brings the timeless class and unrivalled style of colette to OnePlus.

What is on offer here is the sleekest and most stunning OnePlus device to date. To celebrate the acclaimed fashion boutique's 20th anniversary, we have produced 250 specially engraved units of the exclusive all-black OnePlus 3T featuring the famous colette logo.

To obtain your own device, you'll need to act quickly. The OnePlus 3T colette edition will be available as a 128GB version for 479 Euros, exclusively at colette in Paris. Sales of this limited device start when colette opens its doors on the 21st of March at 11AM. And when we say limited, we mean limited. Early birds will also receive a free pair of OnePlus Bullets to go along with their device. This is your one and only chance to acquire this limited-edition device, so don't miss it!

We can't wait to greet you with your very own OnePlus 3T colette edition.

/eyeroll

another 1+3 you can't have

This is ridiculously bad.

I do leave bluetooth, wifi, nfc, and GPS on. It's possible this is a problem, but it hasn't been on my past phones.

My G5 is on Nougat and I did factory reset after upgrading to 7.0.

Linking to album on imgur as images are large:

https://imgur.com/a/eCHVA

I'm noticing a ton of battery drain on my LG V10 recently. Not sure what the culprit is, as I haven't been using my phone any differently or installed any apps that could kill battery (like games). My last system update (Android 6.0) on Verizon was Feb 24 but it feels like within the past week the battery is just dying within a few hours.

zewone

Did you just update it? My 5X standby was nothing after the update and it magically fixed itself after a week or so.

I just picked up the phone a few days ago. It was on 6.0 out of the box, I updated to 7.0 immediately.

After updating I still factory reset just to be as safe as possible.

this_guy

Finally got a Google Opinion Rewards survey. It's been like over a month since my last one. I used to get these on a daily basis; I wonder what happened.

Jeffrey

Always thought oneplus was more for Android nerd fans. Is a hip French clothing and accessories retailer is the right audience?

I guess they apparently did have 100s of fans coming the last event they had there according to the press release.

ty_hot

Finally got a Google Opinion Rewards survey. It's been like over a month since my last one. I used to get these on a daily basis; I wonder what happened.

I am getting lots of Google Maps questions, asking to publish my photos, asking about the places (for example, if a restaurant is cheap, if there is a toillet in there, etc)... I answer because I use basically all Google products (and adblock) so it's a way to pay them, but I do feel like most of it should be in the rewards program. I only got a few questions ONCE from Opinion Rewards, and I am sure I answered accurately, no idea why they started asking me.

forum_packshot-png.507759

/eyeroll

another 1+3 you can't have

lol the OP3T is an awesome device, but why all this glamour? lol For a new color? northing else is different.

Specially when they area about to release a new phone in 2 months probably.

Raide

Finally caved and got myself a OnePlus 3t. Still boxed up, ready to be unboxed when I get home in an hour or so. Excited to try something new! Going to miss my Lumia 930 but after loads of searching, the 3t seems like a solid upgrade for me.

Will post my impressions later.

Any first timer tips?

Vanillalite

gonefishing.jpg

Droid Life

Yesterday, a report suggested that Google has codenamed the upcoming 2017 Pixel devices “muskie” and “walleye.” Today, I’d like to expand that conversation by tossing out a third device under codename “taimen.” The existence of the name and device comes to us via multiple sources, though the exact details of it are scare.

As for the name “taimen,” this is yet another fish or aquatic animal, just like the others and like almost all Google products that have arrived over the past 6 or 7 years that we’ve been keeping track of. It is a large, large fish in the trout/salmon family. The size is noteworthy (like shamu was) because one source tells us that the phone will have a bigger screen than “muskie” and “walleye.”

What does that mean? How big? We were told that “taimen” is a phone, specifically, so I’m not sure that we should jump to the idea of it being a tablet or hybrid notebook-like device. With that in mind, we are also under the impression that “taimen” is separate from “muskie” and “walleye” internally, which could be a sign that “muskie” and “walleye” are Pixel and Pixel XL follow-ups, while “taimen” is on its own. That’s all pretty vague, I know.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Needs a 4", 5", 6" model. Just like laptops have three sizes.

In other news, remember my Nexus 6P exchange saga? Google said they'd exchange it due to the battery issue. But they could only exchange my Frost for a Graphite. Hell no. That's a total downgrade. They also stated they couldn't repair it. So I asked if they could refund me. They said yes. Awesome.

Jeffrey

Finally caved and got myself a OnePlus 3t. Still boxed up, ready to be unboxed when I get home in an hour or so. Excited to try something new! Going to miss my Lumia 930 but after loads of searching, the 3t seems like a solid upgrade for me.

Will post my impressions later.

Any first timer tips?

First android?

If they decide on doing 6 months between phones, shouldn't we be seeing a new OP in the next 2 months or so?

Who knows with 835 delays what priority slot oneplus gets. Maybe a bit later this year.

Needs a 4", 5", 6" model. Just like laptops have three sizes.

In other news, remember my Nexus 6P exchange saga? Google said they'd exchange it due to the battery issue. But they could only exchange my Frost for a Graphite. Hell no. That's a total downgrade. They also stated they couldn't repair it. So I asked if they could refund me. They said yes. Awesome.

The full retail price? Crazy.

Top Bottom