• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah was just gonna flip the $200 toward a Switch if they ever fucking come back in stock. Nintendo always gonna be cagey and under ship though.

Seriously though I'm at the point in Android land where I want to pull an AJ and just go get an iPhone at the Apple store tomorrow.
Do it. A used 6S is pretty cheap.

derFeef

Got my A3 (2017), will report back. Looking forward to a smaller phone and the android thing ;)
edit: I looked at the X Compact but I did not like how it felt and looked. Plus that Sony stuff...

Blackhead

Redarse
Here's a filter from GSMArena, for any phone between 110mm - 130mm with at least 1gb memory from 2015 onward (Moto G had a 129mm height)

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2015&nHeightMin=115&nHeightMax=130&nRamMin=1000

Might be worth checking AliExpress for some of the ones listed above.

Height is the wrong metric to constrain for. Width and Thickness matter more for comfortably fitting in a pocket.

Pyro's first reply is the correct one: the Galaxy A3 is barely bigger than the Moto G but is dramatically thinner.
I'm getting a warped sense of prices I think because looking up the Samsung A5 it's like $650 dollars. Is the 2016 A5 good enough? I can probably find that cheaper but not sure where might sell them.

Galaxy A3 (2016): AUD$196

Galaxy A5 (2016): AUD$322

Xperia X Compact: AUD$417

wait for the A3 (2017) imo

this_guy

Google Assistant just became available on my phone. Moto G4 Plus still on Android Marshmallow 6.01

I'm not going to use it much because i barely touched Google Now.

kaiyo

Shit sucks.

The Moto 4 Plus is going for cheap, but is also much bigger.

Z5 compact does look good but that fucking price. I may have to consider the Ebay route.

Check out the Xperia X compact. It will perform similar to the Z5 compact for day to day usage. Has the same camera as the Xperia XZ

Got my A3 (2017), will report back. Looking forward to a smaller phone and the android thing ;)
edit: I looked at the X Compact but I did not like how it felt and looked. Plus that Sony stuff...
What Sony stuff?

reKon

Banned
I got the oldest phone of any of the regulars in here.

Y'all forget how long my ass been waiting, and my phone battery has shit the bed hardcore as of late. That and I got this stupid duplicate texts bug where I get the same texts from people coming in over and over again.

You're making shit harder on yourself for no reason. I don't know how many times I've said in this thread that the Exynos S7 Edge is THE best Android package, but no one seems to listen. Still has amazing battery life, performance, and industry's best display. If that's too big, the Exynos S7 still has good battery life. Still has a top 3 camera and SD storage expansion has been fantastic because I can go crazy on vacations with the photos and video. Another reason why this feature is vauable is because with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, and Google Music, you can save everything to the SD card. Space is NEVER an issue for me. Samsung also stepped it up on the software for once. The are brilliant features like one handed mode, which they borrowed from Huawei, but it works well here.

I literally have no reason to change my phone for the next few years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Getting the Exynos model in the US is a pain in the ass doe.

This is coming from someone who jumped through hoops and got the fucking UAE version of the GS6 for the wife btw to get a deal.

I'll probably end up just getting the Best Buy deal when I get time this weekend. I did the rough math and I'd have to wait for the phone to hit $450 to get the same deal outright considering I was gonna spend the $200 on a switch anyways.

reKon

Banned
Getting the Exynos model in the US is a pain in the ass doe.

This is coming from someone who jumped through hoops and got the fucking UAE version of the GS6 for the wife btw to get a deal.

I'll probably end up just getting the Best Buy deal when I get time this weekend. I did the rough math and I'd have to wait for the phone to hit $450 to get the same deal outright considering I was gonna spend the $200 on a switch anyways.

I used Swappa to get it brand new many months and it was really easy. You need to understand also that the performance difference between the two versions is legit. My S7 edge never really lags and had been a step ahead of the GS7 I had, no question. Samsung needs to just focus on in-house processors and stop fucking around.

Vanillalite

Is nougat's battery worse than marshmallow? I just got an update notification for my p9. Should I update?

No it's not, but like every Android update shit gets fucked when you update.

So be prepared to have shit battery/performance until you factory reset post update.

Is what it is in Android land. Just part of the cost of doing business these days.

So be prepared to have shit battery/performance until you factory reset post update.

Is what it is in Android land. Just part of the cost of doing business these days.

I didn't notice any difference in performance or battery life on my S7 since upgrading to 7.0. It certainly didn't get worse.

Jeffrey

IOS isn't immune to this either which is why people are stubborn about upgrading.

Always good to start fresh.

Vanillalite

IOS isn't immune to this either which is why people are stubborn about upgrading.

Always good to start fresh.

Yeah I view it like Windows.

I just know like once a year I'm probably gonna reformat. Same with phones. I just do it whenever they get the big yearly software update.

Jeffrey

Yeah I view it like Windows.

I just know like once a year I'm probably gonna reformat. Same with phones. I just do it whenever they get the big yearly software update.

I've actually been fine with Windows for like 10 years lol. Upgraded cpu and gpu and ram over the years and went from 7 to 8 to 10 without any formatting.

Thinking of doing a fresh new pc build too now that gpus seem good for 4k. Am excited!

Hmmm. Seeing iphone 7 plus 128gb for about $600 on Craigslist. Tempting. Unless AJ can beat that xD

Vanillalite

Dat official Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 Keyboard run you about $130.

So you all in for like $730 for the base model + keyboard.

ty_hot

The Galaxy Tab S3 is, after 1 and a half year, the next high end Android Tablet (after the Pixel C). The Pixel C is soooo overpriced, still at the 700 mark lol. So why wouldnt Samsung price it like that?

Android tablets are a joke, long live the Nexus 7 (2013!) that is still awesome and costed me 200 yeeeaaaarssss ago. (and has a higher pixel density than the S3, almost 4 years later and 3 times its price).

Blackhead

Redarse
Tag Heuer's (new) $1,650 smartwatch
eepwbYV.jpg

Water won’t pass through the headphone jack, a unique feature.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dat official Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 Keyboard run you about $130.

So you all in for like $730 for the base model + keyboard.
I just got a surface book instead. Kind of regret it already. Too big and I prefer a simple tablet experience.

Vanillalite

You guys wanted dem leaks.

Welp

tumblr_ogus8hRvwr1udh5n8o1_500.gif

Android Police

ap_resize.php

Corroborating information provided to us by a source, we can share the first public sighting of Google's next-generation Pixel phones: in the Android Open Source Project gerrit (and yes, that means it's running Android). We've only seen one of the phones - walleye - which we believe will be the smaller of Google's new Pixel devices. Muskie, the larger of the two, has not yet appeared. (For reference, last year, we only ever saw Marlin in the AOSP gerrit - there's no guarantee Muskie will ever show up there.)

Jeffrey

I want less leaks these days. Leaks are always underwhelming due to potato cam.

I need marketing hype. Surface book had no leaks so the reveal was pure hype.

Top Bottom