• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

ty_hot

Is there a TeamViewer app for Android? Like, to access another phone, not to access a computer? Does TV do that? My dad got his Zen Fone 3 and I am an ocean away and I need to set it up for him,disable useless apps, etc.

derFeef

Yeah I have customized Nova to my liking now, works much better.
Yup. Fresh territory for me. Been Windows phone for a few years, so this is going to be an interesting learning curve.

Hey you and me both. Tell me if you find a good way to sync/import outlook calendar, events and contacts (full infos).

3 phones is a pretty big leak if indeed that's the case.
I don't buy it. I mean this is google and they are dense but why even bother making 3 phones. You can barely stock 2. The 2 you made aren't exactly lighting the charts on the fire. Focus.

Maybe it's that "android one" pixel that they won't sell in NA or some shit.

Nikodemos

NVidia got Nintendo to buy their stale chips?

wat!?`
They're not 'stale'. Remember that a dedicated game handheld can extract more performance out of a chip than a generalist communications device. And Nintendo are masters at extracting performance out of "withered technology".

nVidia gave Nintendo an exceptionally good deal on their leftover X1 chips, sort of how they gave Ouya an exceptionally good deal on their leftover Tegra 3 (only problem was, the Tegra 3 is shit).

LeleSocho

Banned
And Nintendo are masters at extracting performance out of "withered technology".

LxdHYo4.jpg

You are confusing that to "being able to use old tech as valuable gimmick that works as selling point".

Nintendo using straight off the shelf X1 without any customization is them being their usual cheap self, they had no excuse to either let the product out as is in ~2015 or to work closely with Nvidia and use their newest chip in their roadmap.

clav

nintendo must have got them mad cheap

Highly doubt that considering what Nvidia has done with Microsoft and Sony in the past.

They're not 'stale'. Remember that a dedicated game handheld can extract more performance out of a chip than a generalist communications device. And Nintendo are masters at extracting performance out of "withered technology".

nVidia gave Nintendo an exceptionally good deal on their leftover X1 chips, sort of how they gave Ouya an exceptionally good deal on their leftover Tegra 3 (only problem was, the Tegra 3 is shit).

I think Nintendo made a mistake. They should have stuck to AMD or another chip vendor willing to work with them because now everything they write will have to rely on Nvidia for expensive parts and proprietary drivers/code.

Maybe Qualcomm was too reluctant in dealing with Nintendo.

Jeffrey

Switch performance is great if you only game on Nintendo systems. It's garbage if looked at as a console in 2017 though.

It's fine for the most part. Zelda is a struggle in resolution and framerate but I can't imagine many open world games on switch.

That fzero style game looks quite nice,especially for handheld mode.

Sure its not horizon but nothing is like that lol. I feel like most of the games I've played this year from Japan look like ps3 games (often have a ps3 version too) so I guess I'm fine with varied visuals as long as framerate is OK.

Anyways I love how everyone on one plus mailing list got all these hype emails for this new phone color that they are only selling 250 of them and only at Paris lol.

The subreddit is rightfully pissed.

It's fine for the most part. Zelda is a struggle in resolution and framerate but I can't imagine many open world games on switch.

That fzero style game looks quite nice,especially for handheld mode.

Sure its not horizon but nothing is like that lol. I feel like most of the games I've played this year from Japan look like ps3 games (often have a ps3 version too) so I guess I'm fine with varied visuals as long as framerate is OK.

Anyways I love how everyone on one plus mailing list got all these hype emails for this new phone color that they are only selling 250 of them and only at Paris lol.

The subreddit is rightfully pissed.

Mario Odyssey seems to be open world, but the framerate also looked horrible in that. I think the system is good as a handheld, but I think Nintendo will end up screwing people thinking this is getting unified game development by releasing another handheld.

Totally agree about OnePlus. WTF?? They even had evleaks and David Ruddock hyping this shit. I don't get it.

Hasney

LxdHYo4.jpg

You are confusing that to "being able to use old tech as valuable gimmick that works as selling point".

Nintendo using straight off the shelf X1 without any customization is them being their usual cheap self, they had no excuse to either let the product out as is in ~2015 or to work closely with Nvidia and use their newest chip in their roadmap.

Cool. People were already whining about the price, surely the latest chip would have solved that!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Zelda's framerate is killer. Who else here has a Switch? Can we be friends? I don't know if I have any. Frankly, even if I did, we can't do anything!

I do like the idea of a soft launch. It's pretty clever.

Raide

First day of use and I am pretty happy with the oneplus 3t. Taken awhile to get use to Android, especially where things are and how you access settings etc. Still a few complications but they will get smoothed out in time.

Speed is super quick and the battery dash charge thing is awesome.

Camera is also really damn good. A solid upgrade on my old lumia 930.

Switch performance is great if you only game on Nintendo systems. It's garbage if looked at as a console in 2017 though.

I also don't understand the praise for the hardware design and quality.

The screen is plastic and the bezels are huge, because it obviously has to be kid-friendly. I get that, but it's still a knock against the quality and design. When I tried to use the kickstand in bed, it was completely useless, because it kept tipping over on the left, because the kickstand has only one position and is not centered. The right analog stick is unusable in handheld mode for me. If I grab it, like I would normally do, it gives me cramps after 10 minutes. I basically have to hold it with my fingertips. It's not as bad with the grip or split mode. The tiny face buttons are not that bad, but the shoulder buttons are mushy and don't feel good to press at all.

The whole thing is mediocre at best and full of compromises that don't work for me.

Jacce

Banned
It's a handheld that can be docked to play on the tv. And it's the most powerful handheld console to date.

I also don't understand the praise for the hardware design and quality.

The screen is plastic and the bezels are huge, because it obviously has to be kid-friendly. I get that, but it's still a knock against the quality and design. When I tried to use the kickstand in bed, it was completely useless, because it kept tipping over on the left, because the kickstand has only one position and is not centered. The right analog stick is unusable in handheld mode for me. If I grab it, like I would normally do, it gives me cramps after 10 minutes. I basically have to hold it with my fingertips. It's not as bad with the grip or split mode. The tiny face buttons are not that bad, but the shoulder buttons are mushy and don't feel good to press at all.

The whole thing is mediocre at best and full of compromises that don't work for me.
Really? You are the first I have seen complain about the controls in handheld mode. I have put at least 50 hours into Zelda in handheld mode and I have pretty big hands, no problem here.

In fact I find it soooo much more comfortable to use and hold than 3DS/DS hardware. Those always gave me cramps if used for any extended amount of time.

tzare

I wonder if nintendo could've choosen Qualcomm or even Samsung for Switch. Sure Nvida GPu is probably a bit better but also worse whith power consumption afaik

Either way, i think is another misstep from nintendo, their obsession with being different from Sony and MS is taking them to uncharted (lol) territories with every new hw they release.

In fact I find it soooo much more comfortable to use and hold than 3DS/DS hardware
of course it is, it is bigger, that is to be expected. Sure it is more comfortable than vita too.

Jacce

Banned
The interesting thing is Nvidia still sells their X1 android tablet using this chipset for $200. Makes Switch price a bit more reasonable since there is a hell of lot more in that box and their "tablet" has better RAM and storage capacity as well.

The interesting thing is Nvidia still sells their X1 android tablet using this chipset for $200. Makes Switch price a bit more reasonable since there is a hell of lot more in that box and their "tablet" has better RAM and storage capacity as well.

There is no X1 tablet. That uses the much older K1 I believe.

Hasney

I wonder if nintendo could've choosen Qualcomm or even Samsung for Switch. Sure Nvida GPu is probably a bit better but also worse whith power consumption afaik

Nah, it is worse at idle or simple tasks like web browsing, but since you're either resting or pushing the system, Tegra is fine.

Jeffrey

Hardware wise the switch for a portable it's quite impressive imo. Sure it's not the sexiest or slimmest thing but it does its job well which is being able to basically go on forever at full speed without throttling and with the way joycon is placed you won't be feeling any heat at all even if you are playing while charging zelda for hours.

You don't see laptop style cooling solutions in your typical smartphone or tablet lol.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Leaning towards thinking that it is the Android One phone for the US

oh and I got the 1+ email for the Paris sale too. Stupid of them to send that out lol

this_guy

I hope Google will continue to sell the original Pixel and Pixel XL and Pixel 2 launches. They can do like Apple and lower the prices of last year's models. I wouldn't mind picking up a discounted Pixel if nothing else catches my eye since the hardware is still more than fast enough and it works on all US carriers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hope Google will continue to sell the original Pixel and Pixel XL and Pixel 2 launches. They can do like Apple and lower the prices of last year's models. I wouldn't mind picking up a discounted Pixel if nothing else catches my eye since the hardware is still more than fast enough and it works on all US carriers.

Problem is Google can't seem to actively make enough of the damn things as it is. So they won't exactly have a ton of excess stock lying around. Plus I'm not sure how much cheaper the phone will be to make.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am getting lots of Google Maps questions, asking to publish my photos, asking about the places (for example, if a restaurant is cheap, if there is a toillet in there, etc)... I answer because I use basically all Google products (and adblock) so it's a way to pay them, but I do feel like most of it should be in the rewards program. I only got a few questions ONCE from Opinion Rewards, and I am sure I answered accurately, no idea why they started asking me.
Map improvements help your contributor score. At higher levels you get access to some goodies like Drive price discount and so on.

zewone

UPDATE: I tried Greenify on my LG G5 and had considerable gains.

This time I woke up with 66% battery after going to sleep with 100%.

While this still isn't excusable, it's a huge improvement over 9%.

I think it may be a weak cellular signal and I'll try airplane mode tonight.

UPDATE: I tried Greenify on my LG G5 and had considerable gains.

This time I woke up with 66% battery after going to sleep with 100%.

While this still isn't excusable, it's a huge improvement over 9%.

I think it may be a weak cellular signal and I'll try airplane mode tonight.
what the fuck lol that's terrible

My Nexus 5X is bootlooping. Had it since Sept 2015. I didn't think it would happen to me.
you didn't think an LG phone would bootloop on you!?!?!?

The struggle of not being able to afford a new phone every year

AJ is probably laughing it up under his mountain of unopened phone boxes
although I own multiple phones every year, I vow that my next phone (still seeming like iphone 8) will be my phone for a whole 2 years. No swapping.

(but I'll still keep a second for work for testing purposes).

Top Bottom