• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Just be like me. Buy and sell phones when bored.

Doesn't hurt the bank much when phones typically hold their value ok unless bomba

this_guy

Last year was the first time I didn't buy multiple phones in year. I think phones are at the point where they're good enough and top of the line only gets you a marginal upgrade from last year's models or a mid range phone.

I don't mind ads if it lowered the cost of the pixel and Google home.

Pixel with offers.
but it won't lower the cost lol. Home costs money and all the devices with assistant cost lots and lots of monehhh.

Just dumb as shit. I joke around a lot but this is legit a huge turn off. Google just doesn't care about your shit guys.

Shit like this just makes me question why I should pay iPhone prices for a Pixel when Google can spy on me and make money off of me indefinitely while I use the device. When a Nexus was $300, sure who cares. But $600+, I start to rethink it.

Shit like this just makes me question why I should pay iPhone prices for a Pixel when Google can spy on me and make money off of me indefinitely while I use the device. When a Nexus was $300, sure who cares. But $600+, I start to rethink it.
I'm sitting here hoping the pixel 2 is good to drag me away from the iphone 8 but mannnnnnn shit like this just irks me. Don't know why I bother.

Lol. Indefensible.
prettay much

at least this was funny

demented

As the release of s8 is nearing I'm getting excited at idea of replacing my Xperia Z2. I love this phone, it's beautiful and sturdy as hell but there are some things that can't be fixed. Now with s8 I'm scared seeing all my friends with s6 and s7 edge have broken screens. I tend to drop phone almost daily, not om purpose but it happens and I'm scared already. Plus there's no insurance here. Can some bumper or case help with this (besides otterbox)?
Any other top of the line upcoming phones? I really liked op3t but decided to hold off a bit longer.

As the release of s8 is nearing I'm getting excited at idea of replacing my Xperia Z2. I love this phone, it's beautiful and sturdy as hell but there are some things that can't be fixed. Now with s8 I'm scared seeing all my friends with s6 and s7 edge have broken screens. I tend to drop phone almost daily, not om purpose but it happens and I'm scared already. Plus there's no insurance here. Can some bumper or case help with this (besides otterbox)?
Any other top of the line upcoming phones? I really liked op3t but decided to hold off a bit longer.
Other than S8 the next best phone to wait for is Oneplus 4 probably in may/june. Then there's nothing till the pixel 2 really. HTC will have a flagship sometime in the summer too.

Jeffrey

Yeah people always argued that buying Chinese phones means you are leaking your data to China.

At least you get a good deal!

Not like windows pc are discounted when Microsoft throws ads at you.

demented

Other than S8 the next best phone to wait for is Oneplus 4 probably in may/june. Then there's nothing till the pixel 2 really. HTC will have a flagship sometime in the summer too.
I figured it's those 2 but 3t came out in November I think and 1-2-3 were July through August iirc so I could hold for that but with it selling out right away.. And pixel2 probably end of the year which is so far away :( I know s8 will disappoint me in some way plus the price is ridiculous but guess I'll have to keep waiting :/

Yeah people always argued that buying Chinese phones means you are leaking your data to China.

At least you get a good deal!

Not like windows pc are discounted when Microsoft throws ads at you.
I think that shits dumb too. Literally only reason I don't use a mac as my desktop pc is because apple sucks at updating their lineup. I'd get a mac mini if they didn't completely give up on it lol. Using an intel NUC at the moment.

Google is so fucking confused and I thought it would get better with the Pixel but it just hasn't. Maybe what I really want is an iOS device :/

kaiyo

I figured it's those 2 but 3t came out in November I think and 1-2-3 were July through August iirc so I could hold for that but with it selling out right away.. And pixel2 probably end of the year which is so far away :( I know s8 will disappoint me in some way plus the price is ridiculous but guess I'll have to keep waiting :/

XZ Premium?

Jeffrey

Man even mkbhd is hating on the HTC. This phone is getting more Ls than trump.

I'm just baffled at its size with the tiny battery. It's like as big as a mate 9 lol.

NeOak

Thinking of a S8 if it has the 4 antennas.

Working on the countryside makes you want to have the best you can get in terms of reception. That used to be Nokia pre-Lumia.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
http://m.androidcentral.com/zte-axon-7-first-non-google-device-get-android-711

Plot twist. Axon 7 is the first not Google phone to get 7.1.1.

Seems to have ironed out some of the kinks of 7.0 as well.

This isn't a plot twist, Axon has been straight phenomenal with the support for this phone. First, they give you an amazing package at a steal of a price, then they support the heck out of it. Security updates, Daydream, 7.1.1, what more do you want from a phone? If they stick a good camera on the next one it's game over. Love these guys.

Jeffrey

whens the last time a phone's been wrecked this hard in reviews?

Feel like flagships typically have a certain level of standard these days. Everyone is various shades of 'good'.

even last year's g5 was at least trying something with its 'friends'.

From one of the best phones from last year (HTC 10) to one of the worst this year. He'll even the 10 at 700 was deemed too high price wise and they even discounted it day one to 600.

The product of an advertising company serves you ads? I'm so shocked.

But seriously, it's a big reason why people would pick an Echo over Home. While you give up part of your privacy for both devices, Google has this "creepy" image that Amazon hasn't and things like this play right into it. I don't have use for any of them, but if I'd consider one, I'd definitely pick an Echo over a Google Home. But I also gave up on Google Now over a year ago, because it was so useless, so what do I know.

Blackhead

Redarse
The product of an advertising company serves you ads? I'm so shocked.

But seriously, it's a big reason why people would pick an Echo over Home. While you give up part of your privacy for both devices, Google has this "creepy" image that Amazon hasn't and things like this play right into it. I don't have use for any of them, but if I'd consider one, I'd definitely pick an Echo over a Google Home. But I also gave up on Google Now over a year ago, because it was so useless, so what do I know.

Um Amazon has been selling Kindles with 'Special Offers' aka Ads since 2011. Home Advertising would not be a reason I'd chose the an Echo. I don't have any faith in Amazon either

Um Amazon has been selling Kindles with 'Special Offers' aka Ads since 2011. Home Advertising would not be a reason I'd chose the an Echo. I don't have any faith in Amazon either

The difference is that Amazon has been upfront about this, is selling the device for a reduced price and still offers the regular, ad-free version.

Did Google advertise the ad-serving feature for Home? It's an honest question, because I haven't been following it all that much. Either way, it's still playing into the perception that Google is this creepy data and ad company, which is what I meant.

this_guy

Amazon tells you it has ads and will give you a discount.

Google says their ad is not an ad.

ty_hot

Got the 7.1 update for the OnePlus 3T. March security update included.

Awesome.

No idea why they kept having only 5 (and not 6) quick toggles in the status bar... I currently have: Wifi + Cellular + Data Saver + Spotify + Bluetooth and wish I could have the screen orientation lock as well. meh.

After I updated and hard reseted it, my Ok Google command was working with the screen off, but now, after installing everything and messing with the configs it isnt (only works with screen on). Any idea where I could have done something wrong?

edit. it seems that it only work on devices that have specific hardware so that it doesnt drain the battery life. The reason why it worked for me earlier is that it was charging (then it works).

Furyous

Does the P10 have Android Pay support? It's basically god tier phone but missing a few things:

HDR display
Manual video mode (manual photo mode is hands down the best on any smartphone)
Wireless charging
Quad DAC
Daydream support

I can forgive them for the lack of HDR display, wireless charging, and quad dac. Daydream support and manual video mode are musts for me.

Jeffrey

Does the P10 have Android Pay support? It's basically god tier phone but missing a few things:

HDR display
Manual video mode (manual photo mode is hands down the best on any smartphone)
Wireless charging
Quad DAC
Daydream support

I can forgive them for the lack of HDR display, wireless charging, and quad dac. Daydream support and manual video mode are musts for me.

I assume so if you have an international phone.

Hasney

Godammit, my YouTube app just updated to some shitty layout. There's no menu at all any more and they split the my page thing off into two parts and the back button just leaves the app completely.

Fuck off Google.

EDIT: Also, the 30 second adverts I could skip previously no longer have a skip button....

EDIT2: back seems to work while a video is in a small window. Seems more like a bug on that one.

Top Bottom