• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

V20 boot loops too? Oh boy.
No clue if it's still apparent these days lol. But LG will forever have the bootloop reputation

Screen-Shot-2017-03-01-at-8.37.39-PM.jpg

G6 vs HTC ultra with the same screen size lol.

NeOak

Wait for the S8.
Ok

It was probably a good pick up when it was on extreme sale. Didn't you buy it? But now, I'd just wait.

Unless you got the V20 on sale or can get it for cheap just wait for the S8. It isn't much longer now and there will probably be great sales on other devices in the mean time in case you want something cheaper.

I got mine when T-Mobile had the 1 day sale for $360. Definitely would get it at that price it's a no brainer. $800 not so much. It's still good but with the G6 around the corner that is going to be cheaper and has water resistance. Unless you really need a Quad DAC, just wait.

AT&T has it at half off on Next, that's why I ask.

Ok

AT&T has it at half off on Next, that's why I ask.
Personally I would pass because that is for bill-credits which sucks since you're basically locked into the carrier. I especially wouldn't want to do bill-credits for an LG phone since it will probably bootloop at some point.

NeOak

Personally I would pass because that is for bill-credits which sucks since you're basically locked into the carrier. I especially wouldn't want to do bill-credits for an LG phone since it will probably bootloop at some point.

Yeah if you are on at&t there are so many $400 android phones with killer specs that don't bootloop

Working countryside, the only decent options are Verizon and AT&T. Friend has T-Mobile but loses signal in this town sometimes.

I need VoLTE where I am because the 3G network is usually overloaded where I work.

So yeah, stuck with AT&T branded phones, because I need VoLTE for work.

With the hundreds of texts I'm sending everyday I'm about to just get a branded Priv.

The WP keyboard is the best, but I'm hitting the limit of what an onscreen keyboard can do for me due to the terminology I have to use.

Jeffrey

LG Watch Style's on sale at Best Buy for $180 for all the different color/models. That's $70-$100 off. Talk about a flop.

style is the gimped one right?

why not just get a huawei watch first gen for way cheaper lol. Think its getting 2.0 this month too

Oh yeah my dbrand came. Took like 20min of carefulness but I'm satisfied with my work. Corners are still slightly bumpy but w/e.

TheGrizz

Hello Android GAF! I recently picked up a GS7. I've been on iPhone since the first generation and wanted to try something new.

My biggest question/concern with Android is iMessage. I am in a ton of group messages and my parents only use an iPod to iMessage me, so it's not like they can text my non-Apple devices. Am i SoL in those group messages and would they have to delete me from the message thread and re-add me to take off the iMessage number? Can I still use iMessage on my iPad to catch any messages that I might miss now that I'm not using iMessage? If I can still use iMessage on the iPad then it's not as big of a concern I guess.

This is seriously the biggest issue with the migration over to Android. Apple really locks you into their ecosystem and makes it really hard to get out.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this concern makes sense to someone.

Jeffrey

Hello Android GAF! I recently picked up a GS7. I've been on iPhone since the first generation and wanted to try something new.

My biggest question/concern with Android is iMessage. I am in a ton of group messages and my parents only use an iPod to iMessage me, so it's not like they can text my non-Apple devices. Am i SoL in those group messages and would they have to delete me from the message thread and re-add me to take off the iMessage number? Can I still use iMessage on my iPad to catch any messages that I might miss now that I'm not using iMessage? If I can still use iMessage on the iPad then it's not as big of a concern I guess.

This is seriously the biggest issue with the migration over to Android. Apple really locks you into their ecosystem and makes it really hard to get out.

Not too familiar with group messages but I do know your iPad should be getting all imesages just fine.

I'm glad me and my friends and family never got roped into the imessage hole. It's all about Facebook messenger and weichat

TheGrizz

Not too familiar with group messages but I do know your iPad should be getting all imesages just fine.

I'm glad me and my friends and family never got roped into the imessage hole. It's all about Facebook messenger and weichat

Yeah the ios ecosystem sucks you in and refuses to let you go.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Switched over to my iPhone 7+ since I'm going on holiday and need a better camera than the crappy iPhone SE has. Man, I hate big phones now. It's too bad there are no good 4" Android options anymore. Big screens are good but they really need to fix the physical dimensions of phones. If every phone felt like the SE but no bezels, we'd be a lot happier.

I wonder if Huawei will give it a go. It's either them or Xiaomi because Sony is dead.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lmfao at that vid title by Floss.

He's the GOAT in terms of YT tech reviewers.

Edit: OMG barely 2 mins in and this is amazing. Floss dropping bombs all over. LoL

NeOak

It should work, but you won't get regular SMS/MMS from other people on your S7 if they send it from an iPhone.

Vanillalite

Nice thing about shrinking the bezels is for me personally a phone like the S8 is probably big enough this go round.

I wouldn't have to defacto get the Edge version just to get a screen the size I want. Bezel removal means I could just get the S8 and pocket the difference that it would cost to bump to the Edge assuming everything else about the phones are basically equal.

How do i get lg g3 weather widget from accuweather for other phones? I downloaded accuweather from play store but widget is garbage. I wish clock plus weather in nice widget format with multi city support in widget it self.

Toki767

Now that Google Assistant has taken over Google Now I can no longer long press the home button to bring up a quick way to see the all the things Google Now listed for me.

Google Assistant sucks.

Switched over to my iPhone 7+ since I'm going on holiday and need a better camera than the crappy iPhone SE has. Man, I hate big phones now. It's too bad there are no good 4" Android options anymore. Big screens are good but they really need to fix the physical dimensions of phones. If every phone felt like the SE but no bezels, we'd be a lot happier.

I wonder if Huawei will give it a go. It's either them or Xiaomi because Sony is dead.

I think you should stick with iphone knowing you do not like anything other than pure google experience you will not get what you want. Stay with iphone SE.carry separate point and shoot if that is only thing lacking.

Vanillalite

Now that Google Assistant has taken over Google Now I can no longer long press the home button to bring up a quick way to see the all the things Google Now listed for me.

Google Assistant sucks.

Ditto

PITA to get the shit I use to easily see via GNow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How's the iPhone SE crappy? It has the same camera as the iPhone 6S. It didn't get worse when the iPhone 7 launched...
Well, the 6P camera is way better than the 6S camera, then. My 6P photos look great and I'm not so hot on the SE ones.

Jeffrey

The problem with 7 plus is that it's basically phablet size looking at the dimensions and weight.

OnePlus 3t is perfectly fine to manage for 5.5

Hey, y'all. Hopefully someone can answer this for me. I have a spam number list such is full of random people that would call all hours of the day. Recently, I've had some weirdo in Nevada calling and just breathing in the phone. Went to add the number to spam, but the option has just vanished!

Is this a firmware/version thing? Did Google do this on purpose? Why?

I'm on android 6.0
Moto G 3rd gen

Wait wait, now that Google Assistant isn't exclusive to the Pixel it's not a selling point any more and now it sucks???

pretty sure some of us called it OEM Bloatware from Google last year.

several reviewers also pointed out the missing features with the caveat that OBVIOUSLY Google would re-add them rapidly.

One of the more ridiculous thing about the Google Assistant is that while I'm at the homescreen, I can access TWO COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT voice assistants pretty much at the same time. It's daft.

Will Samsung release a "non-Edge" version of the S8?

I have the S7 Edge and I wish bought the normal S7. The screen looks nice, but for me it's not very practical, you have to take care not to touch the screen anywhere on the borders.

I hoope there will be a standard version with the same specs and same battery.

Bboy AJ

One of the more ridiculous thing about the Google Assistant is that while I'm at the homescreen, I can access TWO COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT voice assistants pretty much at the same time. It's daft.
It's very Google. And very much like their dumb fans who are always like, "Options are good!! Give us the freedom to choose!"

Blackhead

Redarse

I'm surprised you haven't switched back to Google Voice and then just carry multiple phones of various sizes to use as your heart desires.

Mindwipe

I have the S7 Edge and I wish bought the normal S7. The screen looks nice, but for me it's not very practical, you have to take care not to touch the screen anywhere on the borders.

No, there won't. Though edge rejection was *much* better on the Note 7 than it is on the S7, and I imagine that will carry over to the S8.

Bboy AJ

I'm surprised you haven't switched back to Google Voice and then just carry multiple phones of various sizes to use as your heart desires.
I've never not used Google Voice. It's the best thing Google has ever done aside from Gmail.

NeOak

Only option would be if they release a S8 Active. But that would be an AT&T exclusive.

Top Bottom