• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

KUerESF.jpg

That plus screen size is going to be glorious.

I'm liking the size of the Galaxy S8.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm liking the size of the Galaxy S8.

This. Big screen in a smaller footprint without having to upgrade to the Edge model to get something larger than just 5". So you still get a rather large screen, but without the extra cost.

I think the iPhone will be the same.

I'll be interested to see how well the Plus models for both sell if the regular model fixes the smaller screen issue by getting rid of the bezels without dramatically increasing the footprint of the phones.

derFeef

Starting to enjoy my A3 a bit more the more I use it. It's a nice, small phone - not sure why it's not getting more recommendations here. Probably because of the camera?

Jeffrey

S8 seems like a good size but rumors are it having the same 3000mah battery at S7 which wasn't really known for good battery.

Starting to enjoy my A3 a bit more the more I use it. It's a nice, small phone - not sure why it's not getting more recommendations here. Probably because of the camera?

We don't talk about ultra budget phones much lol.

Jeffrey

I just can't wait cause the S8 is the first 835 phone and I want to see benchmarks for performance and battery.

Best wait for op4 lol. Well benchmarks are leaked already.

I bet it's gonna lose to op3t in speed tests lol.

Unless Samsung really care about performance this time for the snapdragon model.

Vanillalite

Gotta be honest both Android and iOS updates kinda bore me now. Most of the major features are already in.

Everything else especially in Android land is all handled via app updated vs system.

this_guy

Gotta be honest both Android and iOS updates kinda bore me now. Most of the major features are already in.

Everything else especially in Android land is all handled via app updated vs system.

Yeah just give me semi regular security updates and I'm good for the most part.

iOS still has room for growth in notifications but yeah almost everything else is refined. I like that though. The more I grow in this tech world the more I value refinement and consistency.

this_guy

I feel the same way. Unfortunately, security updates seem to be low on the totem pole for most manufactures.

The big manufacturers like Samsung, LG, seem to be doing monthly security updates for their flagships. Even ZTE with their Axon 7 has been quick with updates. Huawei promises quarterly security updates which I can live with. Motorola has been really disappointing after the Lenovo purchase as my Moto G4 Plus is still on the July 2016 security update.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting a new phone. I have a micro sd card in my old android phone. I'd like to stick the card into the new one, move the music off it into the new phone's storage and remove the micro sd card. Is there a way to do this with no access to a computer?

EDIT: Can I transfer by bluetooth?

Jeffrey

Tomorrow, I'll be getting a new phone. I have a micro sd card in my old android phone. I'd like to stick the card into the new one, move the music off it into the new phone's storage and remove the micro sd card. Is there a way to do this with no access to a computer?

from sdcard to local memory? just do it with one of the handful of good file managers on android.

probably easier to manage on pc though.

kaiyo

Bluetooth would be really slow.

Gattsu25

Banned
Pixel C owners, PSA: The Android Beta program has a new beta out that includes the Pixel Launcher instead of the old Google Now Launcher.

IronRaven

The big manufacturers like Samsung, LG, seem to be doing monthly security updates for their flagships. Even ZTE with their Axon 7 has been quick with updates. Huawei promises quarterly security updates which I can live with. Motorola has been really disappointing after the Lenovo purchase as my Moto G4 Plus is still on the July 2016 security update.

That's actually pretty reassuring to hear. I might consider a non-Pixel phone for my next phone then.

Asking again.

Hey, y'all. Hopefully someone can answer this for me. I have a spam number list such is full of random people that would call all hours of the day. Recently, I've had some weirdo in Nevada calling and just breathing in the phone. Went to add the number to spam, but the option has just vanished!

Is this a firmware/version thing? Did Google do this on purpose? Why?

I'm on android 6.0
Moto G 3rd gen

Thanks again.

Vanillalite

If you have both phones you can connect phone to phone via AirDroid and just transfer shit over your local network.

Vanillalite

Virtually no bezels and on screen buttons are hawt.

That being said they aren't game changer, and the UI looks pretty familiar especially since I played with my Wife's GS6 with Nougat last night.

Think I'm gonna just order the Blue Coral GS7 when I get home and cop that free gift card.

835 ain't enough to sway me for the extra cash I would pay out.

Vanillalite

Side note I hate how all the major carriers will fawn over you if you are a new customer or adding lines, but they give 0 fucks if you are an existing customer.

You almost are better off switching carriers every year or two to get the credits. It's fucking stupid.

Side note I hate how all the major carriers will fawn over you if you are a new customer or adding lines, but they give 0 fucks if you are an existing customer.

You almost are better off switching carriers every year or two to get the credits. It's fucking stupid.

It really is, but growth is more important than retention or something like that.

Vanillalite

So the Galaxy S8 benchmarks are all over the place.

The original leaked benchmarks for both the exynos and 835 sucked.

Then new benchmarks hit and supposedly the S8 basically broke Antutu it was so fast.

Idk wtf to think.

this_guy

Yeah since you don't have to do contracts any more it's better to just switch if something better comes along. It's more of a hassle if you're on a family plan if everyone needs to get a new phone.

If you're on an individual line Cricket, AT&T GoPhone, or MetroPCS are all solid choices and you can get pretty much any unlocked phone to use on those carriers.

Jeffrey

Unless you have an older iPhone. In that case, here's some free slowness.

Funny enough ios 10 added frame skipping so that it will skip frames of animation if lag happens.

So performance is sped up on older devices but you will notice less smoothness in the animations lol.

Top Bottom