• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Nothing in Android O looks even remotely interesting; maybe the notifications, I guess.

We've really hit snoresville with these annual OS updates (on all platforms, not just Android). Long gone are the years of significant yearly updates.

Jeffrey

Nothing in Android O looks even remotely interesting; maybe the notifications, I guess.

We've really hit snoresville with these annual OS updates (on all platforms, not just Android). Long gone are the years of significant yearly updates.

Phone pretty much does everything already.

BTW do US phone carriers do good trade in promos for Samsung Galaxy flagships?

Might look into that although it's better to just flip my pixel on used market. It's holding its value quite well.

Violater

Need to upgrade the Misses Galaxy S3, was looking at the S6 but I am not digging the non-replaceable battery.
I have a LG-G4 but I don't like the screen use with my Polarized lenses so I am thinking the Lg line is out.
Thoughts?

Jeffrey

What are y'all's current homescreen?
3XO50JN.jpg

A lot of Icon packs going free these days so I've been playing around with them all. Liking these.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Please no home screen posts. There's a thread for that.

Yo Boy AJ how much faster is web browsing on your iPhone vs Android?
Worse. Android is way faster but less smooth. It'll take like three flicks to scroll down a GAF thread on Android and iOS is a continual slog.

Android O is missing the backup solution we need. Also, the battery refinements are going to be yet another growing pain. Good decision but it'll take awhile to implement well. Finally, the autofill app feature is genius.

Props to my simple stock home screen buddies. Bottom sock and two rows of apps on top of it. And then maybe one more home screen at most. That's the best look to me.

kaiyo

The standout, according to Google, is Sony Mobile. Sony has so far “contributed more than 30 feature enhancements and 250 bug fixes,” a Google spokesperson said.

Chief among Sony’s priorities seems to be helping Android become a better platform for wirelessly enjoying high-res audio. Or at least something close to it, and substantially better than what Bluetooth does right now. Sony has contributed its LDAC wireless audio coding technology to Android O. LDAC can transfer much more data over Bluetooth — up to a bitrate of 990kbps — than what’s typically possible from smartphones. Here’s one explainer from Sony, and here’s another.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/21/15004562/sony-google-android-o-ldac-wireless-music

Side note I hate how all the major carriers will fawn over you if you are a new customer or adding lines, but they give 0 fucks if you are an existing customer.

You almost are better off switching carriers every year or two to get the credits. It's fucking stupid.

not almost.

if you aren't grandfathered in with a sweet deal and you have two carriers with decent coverage in your area, switching every time is a better deal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this lock screen?

I have a Vodafone S6 Edge that I just upgraded to Android 7 and I only started seeing this lock screen after I upgraded. It's pissing me off because I don't want it and it's a lock screen over the regular Android lock screen :/

Jeffrey

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this lock screen?

I have a Vodafone S6 Edge that I just upgraded to Android 7 and I only started seeing this lock screen after I upgraded. It's pissing me off because I don't want it and it's a lock screen over the regular Android lock screen :/

That's not the stock lock screen I hope lol. Looks terrible.

See if some 3rd party lockscreen app was added?

BigBeauford

It's not easy to do a search on my phone, so I figured I would ask: with the G4 being $129 on Amazon, is it worth it at that price, or will the G5 be a big enough upgrade?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That's not the stock lock screen I hope lol. Looks terrible.

See if some 3rd party lockscreen app was added?

Ya it's definitely not the stock lock screen.

Would you know how I can search to see if there was a lock screen app added? Nothing is showing up on my apps list. I'm assuming it may be an app that I have that decided to go rogue and secretly install this lock screen :/

Edit: Found the culprit. It was the Peel remote app. I uninstalled and blocked that turd of an app with package disabled pro and now that shitty lock screen is gone. Reported the app to Google as well.

You can install a different dialer or contacts app that have that feature. On my dialer I have that option under settings, blocked numbers, yours should be similar ( I think all dialers will have it somewhere).

Appreciate it. Yeah, it used to be there but outs just vanished. Googled it and odd even different in pictures with block not being an option anymore. Guess I'll grab a dialer. Any you recommend as the best?

Top Bottom