• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

nice!

here's mine!
tlwnQfJ.png

that's all I saw

Side note I hate how all the major carriers will fawn over you if you are a new customer or adding lines, but they give 0 fucks if you are an existing customer.

You almost are better off switching carriers every year or two to get the credits. It's fucking stupid.

Yeah since you don't have to do contracts any more it's better to just switch if something better comes along. It's more of a hassle if you're on a family plan if everyone needs to get a new phone.

If you're on an individual line Cricket, AT&T GoPhone, or MetroPCS are all solid choices and you can get pretty much any unlocked phone to use on those carriers.

Not only that, but this is another reason why you should immediately get phones that comes automatically unlocked/sim-unlocked.

ty_hot

Appreciate it. Yeah, it used to be there but outs just vanished. Googled it and odd even different in pictures with block not being an option anymore. Guess I'll grab a dialer. Any you recommend as the best?
Try getting one from a big company so that the odds that they will use your contact list for spam purposes are smaller :)

Nothing in Android O looks even remotely interesting; maybe the notifications, I guess.

We've really hit snoresville with these annual OS updates (on all platforms, not just Android). Long gone are the years of significant yearly updates.

Even so, there's only a minimal amount on people who are on Android Nougat (2.8% total) while approximately 31.3% of people are still on Marshmallow, 32.5% (total) of people are still on Lollipop & 20.8% of people are still on KitKat (Link).

Meanwhile, you have approximately 79% of people on iOS 10, which is the recent version for iOS as a whole (Link).

There's only going to be a very small amount of people on Android 8.0 (or Android O), & that will mostly apply to people like myself who's bound to get themselves recent high-end smartphones such as the Pixel 2 coming out this year (& the Pixel 2 will most likely be the first smartphone to receive it).

Please no home screen posts. There's a thread for that.

Where at? These homescreens that I've seen so far here on these last few pages looks very nifty.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Welp Qualcomm'd

Anandtech

Our initial testing shows that Snapdragon 835’s Kryo 280 CPU is an octa-core, big.LITTLE configuration with four semi-custom A73 “performance” cores and four semi-custom A53 “efficiency” cores. Kryo 280’s performance cores are pretty much equivalent to Kirin 960’s A73 cores in both integer and floating-point IPC, but comparing them to Snapdragon 820’s Kryo CPU shows mixed results: integer IPC improves but floating-point regresses.

That being said

The Snapdragon 835’s updated Adreno 540 GPU, through a combination of microarchitecture tweaks and a higher peak operating frequency, is another evolutionary step along the VR path, delivering a 25% peak performance boost over Snapdragon 820’s Adreno 530.

As expected. Qualcomm continues to be middling at best in the CPU setup where as their GPU setup is much more reliable in terms of gains year over year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder how much better the Apple processor will be. They and Samsung have been killing Qualcomm. For at least a couple of years. But Qualcomm is weak and has no response. Really awful company. They're more focused on anticompetitive practices rather than competition. Like Intel.

derFeef

Is there a good app that can play youtube playlists in the background? I know Firefox can for example, bu that's not really that convenient.

Vanillalite

Is there a good app that can play youtube playlists in the background? I know Firefox can for example, bu that's not really that convenient.

No.

Web browsers get around this via the mobile app.

Google won't let anything like that on the play store since they have their own paid service in YouTube Red.

Vanillalite

Rather have Hawaii than HTC available. Plus AT&T doesn't carry anything now other than the iPhone, Galaxy, and the occasional LG phone.

Adding more choices to their lineup is great for consumers especially who want to buy with device payments.

this_guy

Rather have Hawaii than HTC available. Plus AT&T doesn't carry anything now other than the iPhone, Galaxy, and the occasional LG phone.

Adding more choices to their lineup is great for consumers especially who want to buy with device payments.

Like Flossy said Hawaii is the new HTC.

The Mate 9 seems much nicer than the HTC Ultra and costs less.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First off I want to join the chorus of laughter about the U Ultra. I watched that teardown and damn

funny because I find the Vive to be a magnificently designed device and they are making smart revisions to that as well. What on earth happened to their phone division?

--

Secondly. help me please o mighty GAF :3

I have (and very much enjoyed my time with) the v10, but it's dying. I cracked the screen (first phone it has ever happened to me with) and hardware-related-or-otherwise I've become unhappy with the performance in recent months.

But I dunno what to get. The G6 looks so beautiful and I absolutely love the screen design, I've been hoping for something like it for ages. Thing is I rely daily on something many consider a dead feature in the IR blaster to control my AV. That's becoming a redhead feature apparently. So rough to see it gone from every mainline flagship. :(

So there's the v20, but finally got my hands on it on Monday and man it just does not make any impression whatsoever on me. I might just be ready for a smaller phone after the v10 too, especially if I don't need to love screen real estate.

I was dragged kicking and screaming to give up physical keyboards and I guess that time is coming now for the IR blaster. I dunno if I should just give in now, go for the G6, get the v20 and hold out for another generation.

Or maybe there's some obscure option I should consider. Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Vanillalite

First off I want to join the chorus of laughter about the U Ultra. I watched that teardown and damn

funny because I find the Vive to be a magnificently designed device and they are making smart revisions to that as well. What on earth happened to their phone division?

--

I have (and very much enjoyed my time with) the v10, but it's dying. I cracked the screen (first phone it has ever happened to me with) and hardware-related-or-otherwise I've become unhappy with the performance in recent months.

But I dunno what to get. The G6 looks so beautiful and I absolutely love the screen design, I've been hoping for something like it for ages. Thing is I rely daily on something many consider a dead feature in the IR blaster to control my AV. That's becoming a redhead feature apparently. So rough to see it gone from every mainline flagship. :(

So there's the v20, but finally got my hands on it on Monday and man it just does not make any impression whatsoever on me. I might just be ready for a smaller phone after the v10 too, especially if I don't need to love screen real estate.

I was dragged kicking and screaming to give up physical keyboards and I guess that time is coming now for the IR blaster. I dunno if I should just give in now, go for the G6, get the v20 and hold out for another generation.

Or maybe there's some obscure option I should consider. Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

You've got 4 options.

Get the V20 if you can find it on sale
Get the OP3T on the cheap low
Get a Galaxy S7 or edge (depending upon your screen size preference) as they try and move stock
Wait for the Galaxy S8 to be unveiled next week and preorder that

If you're gonna pay the premium for the G6 might as well just get the S8. I'd mention the Mate 9, but that's even bigger than all the phones mentioned.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You've got 4 options.

Get the V20 if you can find it on sale
Get the OP3T on the cheap low
Get a Galaxy S7 or edge (depending upon your screen size preference) as they try and move stock
Wait for the Galaxy S8 to be unveiled next week and preorder that

If you're gonna pay the premium for the G6 might as well just get the S8. I'd mention the Mate 9, but that's even bigger than all the phones mentioned.
I have the tmobile jump dealy and can basically get the v20 or galaxys for just the fee to replace the v10, or get credit to buy a replacement.

I've been pretty anti-Samsung in recent years. Loved the note edge actually, gimmick and all, wish they'd try another of those. But I will give the S8 a fair look.

Does the Mate 9 have an IR blaster? :p

I wonder how much better the Apple processor will be. They and Samsung have been killing Qualcomm. For at least a couple of years. But Qualcomm is weak and has no response. Really awful company. They're more focused on anticompetitive practices rather than competition. Like Intel.
the only thing keeping them afloat it seems.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I have the tmobile jump dealy and can basically get the v20 or galaxys for just the fee to replace the v10, or get credit to buy a replacement.

I've been pretty anti-Samsung in recent years. Loved the note edge actually, gimmick and all, wish they'd try another of those. But I will give the S8 a fair look.

Does the Mate 9 have an IR blaster? :p

the Mate 9 does indeed have an IR blaster

NeOak

You forgot they still carry the NEC Terrain!

:p

Jeffrey

--

Another option is the honor 8. Smaller phone but great performance. Sexy back. Ir blaster. Often around $300.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I guess ebay is seemingly the only option for the pixels for the moment so that makes sense.
Another option is the honor 8. Smaller phone but great performance. Sexy back. Ir blaster. Often around $300.
Damn, nice recommendation. This might be the only phone I've seen with both a glass back and IR blaster.

Top Bottom