• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

All right, my Android is currently lost or stolen, and I can't track it since location services are turned off right now. What are my options?

Unfortunately, I didn't have any tracking apps installed. I did manage to lock it down and display a message on the screen with my contact information, though.

I'm just not a huge fan of ios atm. Doesn't matter that a10 smokes qualcomm stuff when scrolling down a website is way slower than aosp or lack of good multitasking and system navigation.

My interest in iphone 2017 really does rely on what changes ios 11 brings.

Ehh I feel like even with sluggish ass scrolling, the native ad blocking in Safari is enough to kill Android's web browsing experience. Honestly hate browsing through the ad infested internet on my Honor 8.

Ehh I feel like even with sluggish ass scrolling, the native ad blocking in Safari is enough to kill Android's web browsing experience. Honestly hate browsing through the ad infested internet on my Honor 8.
Have you tried Samsung's Browser (I think it's download able on non-samsung phones)?

Im been pretty happy with the ad blocking on that one.

Jeffrey

I just use adguard. No problems with that.

Any point to run a different os other than stock Android? Maybe os is the wrong word but hopefully you all know what I mean.
Different features? More powerful skinning options or kernel customization that prioritize battery over performance etc.

Tons of stuff you can do with Android if you want.

I just use adguard. No problems with that.

I use that too but it doesn't get everything and the VPN workaround is far from ideal. For instance, it can't catch ads on sites using https which more and more sites are using including Facebook and google search. No way I'm installing their security certificate to intercept my https traffic.

Ugh all I need now is a good small tablet that is USB-C compatible and I can pretty much say bye to micro USB. Only thing that would still use it is my vape. I can't wait to dump all those cables.

The s8 will CERTAINLY not be a good showcase of the 835. They will not optimize it. Best look will be the oneplus 4 I think whenever that comes out.

Laekon

So the price of unlocked Exynos S7's on Amazon have actually started to rise. Not much but it's an odd occurrence. I'm hoping it drops below $400 with the S8 announcement. Though I'm worried the opposite could happen.

EmiPrime

I'm just not a huge fan of ios atm. Doesn't matter that a10 smokes qualcomm stuff when scrolling down a website is way slower than aosp or lack of good multitasking and system navigation.

My interest in iphone 2017 really does rely on what changes ios 11 brings.

Glad I am not alone on this. I hate scrolling on my iOS device, it's akin to mouse sensitivity being set to 1/minimum except you can't change it.

Scrolling speed, notifications, the home button and no default apps are my iOS pet hates. At least one of these four things is being fixed this year!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Glad I am not alone on this. I hate scrolling on my iOS device, it's akin to mouse sensitivity being set to 1/minimum except you can't change it.

Scrolling speed, notifications, the home button and no default apps are my iOS pet hates. At least one of these four things is being fixed this year!
which? not that I am likely to ever adopt ios. :p

Jeffrey

which? not that I am likely to ever adopt ios. :p
Leaks seems to point to at least one iphone trim will ditch home button for nav buttons.

Also props to Alcatel. My brother dropped his idol 3 wrecked the screen and they fixed it on warranty with no deductible or anything.

I can't say scrolling speed has ever bothered me on ios but notifications are my main thing. Default apps used to bother me more but now that devs are just putting the option in their apps to let you choose which browser and whatnot to open it pretty much solved that. System wide would be ok I guess.

WTF my usb-C cable just started burning. Thankfully it prevents the charge making me unplug it and I noticed how hot one end was
for usb c you gotta make sure you get a legit one

Jeffrey

Trying scrolling down a 100 post page on gaf on iOS after doing it on Android. It's infuriating lol.

But that's not my biggest issue. I just hate the back implementation on iOS doesn't do anything on the later app.

Say you click a link that opens Safari. If you tap the top left to go back, the tab doesn't close.

Trying scrolling down a 100 post page on gaf on iOS after doing it on Android. It's infuriating lol.

But that's not my biggest issue. I just hate the back implementation on iOS doesn't do anything on the later app.

Say you click a link that opens Safari. If you tap the top left to go back, the tab doesn't close.
I don't use 100 posts per page because I don't need to overcompensate for anything :p

But I agree scrolling is slower but overall I find it inconsequential. I rarely find myself trying to scroll to a specific point of a REALLY long page. Are people doing this a lot? lol. Just can't relate.

Even 100 posts per page on gaf...yes it's slower but like...I'm reading the posts. There's also quick jump to bottom and top. And it's not TERRIBLY slow. It's just not something I face enough that I ever rage about it or even think about it whereas notifications I interact with daily and REALLY wish they were grouped.

So outside of the Pixel​, is OnePlus quicker with updates than the bigger OEMs? I want something close to that Google look without having to spend Google money or having to worry too much about updates.

Jeffrey

So outside of the Pixel​, is OnePlus quicker with updates than the bigger OEMs? I want something close to that Google look without having to spend Google money or having to worry too much about updates.

Their beta branch is quick. Everything else is about as slow as other oem. You can always go custom roms.

I can't say scrolling speed has ever bothered me on ios but notifications are my main thing. Default apps used to bother me more but now that devs are just putting the option in their apps to let you choose which browser and whatnot to open it pretty much solved that. System wide would be ok I guess.

for usb c you gotta make sure you get a legit one
It was, which is why it burnt itself out and not my phone. It also properly cut off power

Replaced it with a J5 usb-C to c and found a downside to my Anker 21000 usb-C battery pack. The J5 cable has too much space when plugged into it so it wiggles, the Nexus 6p side is snug as hell

MattDoza

So we're all in agreement that a new messaging app gets announced at I/O this year right?
Nah. Not a new one. I get the running joke, but they have to be doing something with Allo, right?

But I think they've mentioned that they have no plans to bring SMS to Allo. Who the fuck knows. Google can't figure this shit out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Off the top of your heads anyone know how T-Mobile Jump!/Premium Handset Protection work re: turning in a broken screen phone and going to an unlocked (BYOD) phone?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not bad though I find the extra space/RAM def creeps up the pricing to where you might be able to find something better on the deal.

Might buy one for my son as a replacement for his old phone provided he gets his grades.

Jacir

puGKebt.png

The boringest :p

What icon pack and weather widget is that?

Mindwipe

Hangouts losing SMS support May 22. Screw you Google

So, just to be clear - my Mum has an ancient Moto-E, which came with Hangouts pre-installed. It does not have enough space any more to install literally any apps, because the updates to the system apps take up the entire space, and because it runs a version of Android that doesn't support sending apps to the SD card.

Google are going to constantly update a version of her SMS app that will break it, and divert her to the store to download an alternative that she won't have enough storage space to install. And she'll call me, and I'll fudge it somehow, and then the next day exactly the same fucking thing will happen.

Idiots. Seriously Google, you shipped hundreds of millions of devices like this you fucking idiots.

I'll literally end up buying my Mum a new phone just to avoid the hassle over this. But there are lots of people who can't, and Google has just decided to fuck those people - especially in developing markets. Idiots. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

So, just to be clear - my Mum has an ancient Moto-E, which came with Hangouts pre-installed. It does not have enough space any more to install literally any apps, because the updates to the system apps take up the entire space, and because it runs a version of Android that doesn't support sending apps to the SD card.

Google are going to constantly update a version of her SMS app that will break it, and divert her to the store to download an alternative that she won't have enough storage space to install. And she'll call me, and I'll fudge it somehow, and then the next day exactly the same fucking thing will happen.

Idiots. Seriously Google, you shipped hundreds of millions of devices like this you fucking idiots.

I'll literally end up buying my Mum a new phone just to avoid the hassle over this. But there are lots of people who can't, and Google has just decided to fuck those people - especially in developing markets. Idiots. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

100% agree.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does the Moto G5 Plus have NFC?

The with offers version for the 64 gigs version seems better than the 6X. The premium to get rid of the ads makes the Honor 6X a better deal though.

Jacir

It's the default icon pack and weather app on my Honor 6x. I'm honestly a newbie, so I have no idea how to provide you information of the specific icon pack and widget.

Oh that's ok. On I go to find stuff from Huawei. Let's see where I end up.

Top Bottom