• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

The little hole on the side is odd and the overall case design looks cheap to me. But watches are about personal taste.

specs matter in smartwatches too...

"does it have a speaker?"

"does it have NFC?"

"does it have GPS?"

"does it have HRM?"

"does it have rotary navigation?"

luckily, it seems like everyone is following Samsung's lead on an embedded ambient light sensor.

ArchAngel

haha, just charged my Vector Watch for the first time since I got it in January. 2 Month battery and charged to full in 30 min at a PC.

I love this and could not buy a "watch" which is foremost just a second screen which I had to charge daily. I hope we'll get 3-4 days of battery on Android Wear watches someday ...
R.I.P Vector though :(

Blackhead

Redarse
specs matter in smartwatches too...

"does it have a speaker?"

"does it have NFC?"

"does it have GPS?"

"does it have HRM?"

"does it have rotary navigation?"

luckily, it seems like everyone is following Samsung's lead on an embedded ambient light sensor.

Androidwear Watch Comparison Spreadsheet

soooo... Hugo Boss is the only 2017 Android Wear watch that doesn't look like straight crap?
? Are you only looking at renders?

Hugo Boss Touch hands-on
ioHGLKl.jpg

AYiUkci.jpg

4BV6WA1.jpg

7pKXg9s.jpg

Movado Touch Hands-on

Tommy Hilfiger TH24/7You hands-on

And more renders to investigate:
No square watches this generation though...

Hasney

Yo, Nexus 6P people who have their phone shut off at like 20-30%. I'm currently posting this at 5%, so I'm just wondering if you guys got your phone at launch or not since I got mine about 4 months after the fact, so wondering if I should just look out for it as my battery ages.

Groof

Yo, Nexus 6P people who have their phone shut off at like 20-30%. I'm currently posting this at 5%, so I'm just wondering if you guys got your phone at launch or not since I got mine about 4 months after the fact, so wondering if I should just look out for it as my battery ages.

I got mine at Swedish launch which was like 4-5 months after its US launch. Everyone knows my battery woes.

In fact just now on my way home it died at 28% while I was trying to find my way home from an unknown place

reKon

Banned
I have to say... The Galaxy S8 leaked pictures look very impressive. This is the shit I've been waiting for. The only disappointing thing is how safe the played it on the battery. If they are somehow able to achieve the same battery life as the S7 and S7 edge for both models, I guess I'll be satisfied. I'm talking Exynos version. I don't trust Samsung not to mess up the SD version.

Next iPhone design might be crazy. Apple has been taking L's with their phone design so it's about time.

Hasney

I got mine at Swedish launch which was like 4-5 months after its US launch. Everyone knows my battery woes.

In fact just now on my way home it died at 28% while I was trying to find my way home from an unknown place

Weird. Admittedly I was hoping everyone was going to say it was at launch so I'd have an excuse to get a new phone later in the year because I feel I don't need one, but I do like new stuff. Wonder if it's a battery QA thing with the battery, since I always seem to get lucky with those outside of Samsung products (Switch Joycons work from a new room, PSVR tracks perfect, launch 360 still works, quiet fan launch PS4 and Pro)
I have to say... The Galaxy S8 leaked pictures look very impressive. This is the shit I've been waiting for. The only disappointing thing is how safe the played it on the battery. If they are somehow able to achieve the same battery life as the S7 and S7 edge for both models, I guess I'll be satisfied. I'm talking Exynos version. I don't trust Samsung not to mess up the SD version.

Next iPhone design might be crazy. Apple has been taking L's with their phone design so it's about time.

It really does. I'm turned off from Samsung products in general after my experiences with an S4 and using cheap transistors in their early 720p TVs that I bought. Customer service being outsourced to a terrible company on the UK really didn't help that either. But come the Note 8/9, I hear that contract is up so if they change that, they have my attention.

Really?

You can thank apple for that s8 design, and G6.. Everyone's only chasing that based on the years long rumours that apple is working on similar. Though samsung still botched it with that awful fingerprint sensor location. It's like we aren't 100% there but fuck it lets do it anyway attitude.

It does look nice though. If there were rumours cirucating that the iphone in 2019 or something would have a screen on the back and front and and speakers that come out the flaps you best believe that's what you'd see on the s9/s10.

You can thank apple for that s8 design, and G6.. Everyone's only chasing that based on the years long rumours that apple is working on similar. Though samsung still botched it with that awful fingerprint sensor location. It's like we aren't 100% there but fuck it lets do it anyway attitude.

It does look nice though. If there were rumours cirucating that the iphone in 2019 or something would have a screen on the back and front and and speakers that come out the flaps you best believe that's what you'd see on the s9/s10.

WTF. Apple has hardly had any design change since IP4. It is the same shit. Samsung has edge variants for a while now. All companies have been trying to reduce the bezels for a while. Sharp had bezel less phone for some time now ( 2014 it was announced). Xiaomi has one for some time now. They are working phones. Watch apple come out with same shit again with hardly any design change. Or they will focus entire presentation on one change call it revolutionary even though it has been present for a while now.

Jeffrey

yeah... not buying on samsung copying apple at the very least.

I can't think of the last samsung that had any apple design elements, which is fairly rare for android phones which often tend to have at the very least a 'hint' of apple lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If anything everyone is chasing LG.

Since the G2 they've been working with no home button and slim bezels. G6 is just the logical continuation of their phones over the past few years.

Oh please, the very rumour of apple planning this big iphone update doing this and that is enough to spark all these companies to beat them first. It's not an inherently bad thing. Competition in that sense is good but lets not act like samsung copying apple or trying to beat apple to something based on rumours is a new thing.

There is literally an article out right now detailing Samsung company culture and how their mentality is 100% to beat apple first to things. It's about the apple watch. Go read it.

This is what they do.

If anything everyone is chasing LG.

Since the G2 they've been working with no home button and slim bezels. G6 is just the logical continuation of their phones over the past few years.
Any company that has less bezels and is solving it by shoving things on the back or sides is taking a shortcut imo. Samsung is diong it with the S8. We already saw in that leak that the fingerprint sensor location was a last minute decision because they couldn't figure out how to do it like apple is rumoured to in time. But I won't disagree that LG was more on the natural path but again lets not forget these apple design rumours have been lingering for years. No surprised they'd ramp up trying to get to it first.

reKon

Banned
Yeah Wtf.

They upped the batteries from last year.

The S7 had a 3000mAh battery and the S7 Edge had a 3600mAh...

Well I guess they technically have a similar amount of surface area to work with, but they are pushing pretty large increases of screen area here. So it's a matter of see if the 10nm processor + increased AMOLED efficiency will be enough to have similar or better battery life for going from 5.1 to 5.8 inches...

I know how much you adore Apple, but damn no shame here at all.

EmiPrime

Personally of all the new Android phones I am most excited to find out in what ways Sony will disappoint with the Xperia XZ Premium.

Pachimari

I think the Samsung Galaxy S8 is the best looking phone I've seen since the LG G3 (which I am still sporting, since my iPhone 6 broke last year), and I am looking to upgrade but it's gonna be so expensive. I've never bought a Samsung smartphone as I've never been much into them.

Well I guess they technically have a similar amount of surface area to work with, but they are pushing pretty large increases of screen area here. So it's a matter of see if the 10nm processor + increased AMOLED efficiency will be enough to have similar or better battery life for going from 5.1 to 5.8 inches...
Note 7.

they get a pass.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apple beating everyone to thin bezels despite not even announcing a phone with thin bezels. Apple rumors count more than shipped products in terms of who did it first and who is following who.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys are delusional if you think companies aren't reducing bezel size to counter the Apple rumors. Companies removed headphone jacks because of Apple rumors. Headphone jacks.

IronRaven

You guys are delusional if you think companies aren't reducing bezel size to counter the Apple rumors. Companies removed headphone jacks because of Apple rumors. Headphone jacks.

And despite this, only a few companies that make Android phones have decided to blindly follow Apple. LG still has a headphone jack on their G6 and the bezel-less(ish) display was a nice way for them to experiment with a new aspect ratio. I'm suspecting the S8 will probably have a headphone jack.

If anything, companies are now bragging that their phones have a headphone jack still while the iPhone doesn't.

wow for the first time in like 3 months! my phone shutdown when it was actually at 3% battery instead of 20-40%

we should start a rumor that apple is going to not go smaller and instead put in a 5000 mAh battery

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh please, the very rumour of apple planning this big iphone update doing this and that is enough to spark all these companies to beat them first. It's not an inherently bad thing. Competition in that sense is good but lets not act like samsung copying apple or trying to beat apple to something based on rumours is a new thing.

There is literally an article out right now detailing Samsung company culture and how their mentality is 100% to beat apple first to things. It's about the apple watch. Go read it.

This is what they do.

Any company that has less bezels and is solving it by shoving things on the back or sides is taking a shortcut imo. Samsung is diong it with the S8. We already saw in that leak that the fingerprint sensor location was a last minute decision because they couldn't figure out how to do it like apple is rumoured to in time. But I won't disagree that LG was more on the natural path but again lets not forget these apple design rumours have been lingering for years. No surprised they'd ramp up trying to get to it first.

LG has literally been trying this for like 4 or 5 years now. How is this suddenly sparking LG. This was before Apple even had the Plus.

Not to mention Samsung invented the screens they are going for to do this. Apple fundamentally can't even do the iPhone 8 without Samsung as nobody has a smart phone display other than Samsung that is thin enough to pull it off.

kaiyo

And Sony (Ericsson) were one of the first with the smart watches, and Sony with Xperia XL with small bezels (75.6% Screen to body ratio back in 2013).

edit: and Sony is not making either now.. lol

reKon

Banned
I mean these comments are coming from the usual suspects so it shouldn't surprise any of you. In the end we all get better smart phones despite the whole diminishing return thing. On the hardware front, the only thing that would top what we have is physically stronger phones and much better battery life (although I am extremely content with mine - can last two days easily with normal use).

yagal

Apple beating everyone to thin bezels despite not even announcing a phone with thin bezels. Apple rumors count more than shipped products in terms of who did it first and who is following who.

Yup, and it is not like the big android manufacturer are lagging behind Apple

LG G6 preorder are up on amazon.it
750€
April 20

This phone is sooo sexy, I will try to buy a version with the quad dac after a price drop

S8 will have and 3.5 jack
Companies who have removed headphone jacks are doing ... very well like HTC

Quasar

Given phones with both of those were out before even a hint of any rumour I'm confused. But then Apple invents everything, everyone else are just photocopying Apples hard work.

Apple copying Samsung with OLED.

Clearly that was Samsung just copying Apples unannounced products.

companies did both things before any Apple rumors.

it's not even the same companies doing both things.

did companies copy Apple with no removable storage?

or were they copying Google?

Jeffrey

Copying is a weird way to say it. I mean all tech design looking the same is people looking at each other's napkins in silicon Valley bars anyways.

reKon

Banned
So I picked up a Chromecast ultra in hopes of getting better quality than my TV's built in android apps. Why can't I get this thing to use HDR? It's infuriating

damn, wasn't that one of the main touted features?

anyways, speaking of TVs, I just ordered a KS8000. I really wanted an LG OLED, but I couldn't push myself to drop nearly $3K for one (I have to go at least 65 inches - size is my most wanted upgrade). Hoping that in 3 - 4 years OLED prices go down due to competition so that I can get a 75 inch for ~$2K

damn, wasn't that one of the main touted features?

anyways, speaking of TVs, I just ordered a KS8000. I really wanted an LG OLED, but I couldn't push myself to drop nearly $3K for one (I have to go at least 65 inches - size is my most wanted upgrade). Hoping that in 3 - 4 years OLED prices go down due to competition so that I can get a 75 inch for ~$2K

So far I hate this thing. The only good thing is that the CW app doesn't break every 2 seconds when I cast to it, but $60 too much to watch 2 shows for the next month and a half or so.

In the end we all get better smart phones despite the whole diminishing return thing. On the hardware front, the only thing that would top what we have is physically stronger phones and much better battery life (although I am extremely content with mine - can last two days easily with normal use).

That's very true, though I think that Android has now caught up so far in technology that the upgrades in hardware, etc. are starting to become minimal (& like you said, diminishing returns, etc). People who already have high-end phones from 2016 (or even 2015), shouldn't be looking forward to spending even a lot more money for possible minimal upgrades.

But if you're like me who hasn't had a new Android smartphone since 2014 or below, then yeah, you should definitely take the time to upgrade. And so far for me, it's between the Google Pixel 2, the Nokia 8 (Nokia P1) & the Oneplus 4/5, unless there's another high-end smartphone which will be just as great, being non-Samsung ones (now that I have the money saved for a high-end smartphone).

Jacir

For those who are in need of a scientific calculator app. I just downloaded Archimedes Calculator and messed around with it. It's a diamond in the rough. Im not an advanced scientific calculator user yet but I think it's legit.

Top Bottom