• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

black_forum-png.510738

hypebeast? fuck outta here

Note 7 was the best Black phone ever!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Matte Black all the rage cause people woke and realized glass backed or polished black like the iPhone blows ass in real world use.

Shit is slippery as fuck and scratches easy while being a fingerprint magnet.

Floss loves them, but he's always got that big ass micro fiber cloth on deck to use like every time he picks up a phone like that.

Matte Black all the rage cause people woke and realized glass backed or polished black like the iPhone blows ass in real world use.

Shit is slippery as fuck and scratches easy while being a fingerprint magnet.

Floss loves them, but he's always got that big ass micro fiber cloth on deck to use like every time he picks up a phone like that.

you should always have a bigass microfiber cloth on deck.

Alucrid

Banned
what's the benefit of displays with curved edges? was just using a samsung with it and it felt really bad to touch anything on the screen on those edges.

LeleSocho

Banned
what's the benefit of displays with curved edges? was just using a samsung with it and it felt really bad to touch anything on the screen on those edges.

No benefit at all, only downsides but because they could do it now every phone has to have it.
Can't wait until everyone wakes up from this fad.

Asgaro

I'll stick with my Garmin Vivoactive HR. Until smart watches catch up to what that does, I see no reason to look elsewhere.

A big plus for Garmin smartwatches is their battery life. I don't see Android Wear devices hitting a week of battery life anytime soon 😁
(Garmins even reach 2 weeks if you disable Bluetooth and only sync from time to time)

(Pleased Garmin Forerunner 235 user here! Wearing it nearly 24/7.)

BraXzy

My contract runs out next month and I'll be looking to figure out what I'm going with next. I currently have an LG G3 and I'm sick of how slow it is so I definitely want a fresh phone. Obviously the S8 is announcing soon and there are others coming soon...

I'm considering picking up a SIM only deal I've spotted (£4.50/M for 12M after cashback) and then have the freedom to buy a phone outright. That'd still work out cheaper than a 2 Year contract on whatever new phones announce... right?

ty_hot

So, just to be clear - my Mum has an ancient Moto-E, which came with Hangouts pre-installed. It does not have enough space any more to install literally any apps, because the updates to the system apps take up the entire space, and because it runs a version of Android that doesn't support sending apps to the SD card.

Google are going to constantly update a version of her SMS app that will break it, and divert her to the store to download an alternative that she won't have enough storage space to install. And she'll call me, and I'll fudge it somehow, and then the next day exactly the same fucking thing will happen.

Idiots. Seriously Google, you shipped hundreds of millions of devices like this you fucking idiots.

I'll literally end up buying my Mum a new phone just to avoid the hassle over this. But there are lots of people who can't, and Google has just decided to fuck those people - especially in developing markets. Idiots. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

My das had the exact same Moto E, he could only have Whatsapp on it and absolutely nothing more. He HAD to buy a new phone this month because it was beyond unusable.

Jeffrey

You know at this point, unless you have all the money to spend like AJ (or me kinda), pretty much very few reason to spend over $500 for an Android phone.

Regardless of which phone, these things will happen:

- end of or huge delay in software and security updates.
-phone gets the lags.
-battery is shit.
- boot loops.

Best case only one of these happen, worst case all of them.

So at some point you start thinking, I can basically buy a oneplus or zte flagship every year or Samsung Galaxy every 2 years. 🤔

Still think there is plenty merit to upgrading Android phones annually,while ios every 2 years is fine.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I actually find using an older phone kind of noble. It's a humble approach to life. If my SE camera were top of the line, I'd be happy. I'm using my 7+ this week and for the next couple weeks while on holiday. The battery life and camera are much better than the SE but it's not that big of a change.

On Android, switching to a new phone felt better. It was a bigger leap. Apple stuff is good every couple of years. I think a lot of that has to do with Android OS. The leaps OS wise were bigger and more noticeable on newer Nexus phones. Plus, new phone feel and the constant hardware revisions. It felt fresh unlike Apple's every other year switch. Android phones are more exciting in that sense.

Some also went to crap. Nexus 4 boot looped. Nexus 5 boot looped or the power button broke. 5X boot looped. 6P battery takes an L. Other than the battery, the 6P is still pretty good day to day a year later.

Jeffrey

Really the only reasons to upgrade to a new iPhone is when ram jumps up. It's always a warning sign that your current phone is gonna run like butt on new ios.

IronRaven

6P battery takes an L. Other than the battery, the 6P is still pretty good day to day a year later.

I feel the same way. I was super late to the Nexus 6P train, but it was and still is leaps and bounds ahead of my HTC One M8 outside of the DAC and the Boomsound^tm speakers.

Battery life has been pretty "meh", but quick charging makes up for it. I have also don't have the early shutdown problem that seemingly everyone else who owns a 6P does. Knock on wood that it keeps not dying early.

Top Bottom