• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

I suppose it's understandable that he would "sell-out". Gotta make money somehow.

I have no issue really. Just find it hilarious how dbrand gets to you eventually if you have a YouTube channel about phones.

I've never seen this channel before but I'm freaking out watching someone scratch up a phone like that. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh STOP!

It's a great channel. Dude has a great sense of humor. And no you will never not be squeamish.

Holy shit. He bent the Nexus 6P no problem.

I lost a Nexus 6P due to an unfortunate bending accident. Forced me back to my old HTC M8 until the Galaxy S8 comes out.

I really should have watched that video....

NeOak

I dunno about raw.

I've never used a Pixel camera during a long holiday. I can only speak to my 6P. If the Pixel took photos as easy and as fast as the iPhone 7+, excellent. But it doesn't do Portrait mode without lens blur. Lens blur is slow. Portrait is instant.

I hope Google doesn't pull a Samsung and keeps going hard with the Pixel 2 camera. Smartphone cameras have a lot of work to put in. Watch super powerful processors and great software get us to DSLR levels. Apple has already done a bunch of things to photography that camera companies never did in their decades of experience. Like dynamic flash color. Here's hoping these tech companies don't sit on their laurels. I actually think photography is an area Google and Apple know has much room for improvement.

Google Photos is still way better than Apple Photos but Google's software is a bigger pita to use on an iPhone. Even with Google's free storage, beating the tightly integrated iOS software is tough. I'm sticking with Google to avoid ecosystem lock in.

Lumia_1020_Camera_Side_0.jpg

When an almost 4 year old phone still takes better pictures than anything new, and did so with just a Snapdragon S4.

Best part is the "Living Images" that was introduced with the Lumia 920 almost 5 years ago. But hey, it took Apple 3 years to copy it as "Live Photos".

Worst part about losing Nokia was that we lost the most competitive and innovative company in terms of Camera and Audio. To this day, what other company has done HAAC recording with 4 microphones for videos with 5.1 and noise canceling?

Going to a S8+, I know the camera will be a downgrade from my Lumia 950 :(

Jeffrey

Holy shit. He bent the Nexus 6P no problem.

I lost a Nexus 6P due to an unfortunate bending accident. Forced me back to my old HTC M8 until the Galaxy S8 comes out.

I really should have watched that video....

He does tend to do these videos when a phone is new so wait for that s8 video! I do recall Samsung stuff being pretty sturdy though.

Jeffrey keeps getting his name wrong.
Think it's Zack? It's just easier to say Jerry lol.

He does tend to do these videos when a phone is new so wait for that s8 video! I do recall Samsung stuff being pretty sturdy though.

Think it's Zack? It's just easier to say Jerry lol.

I made sure to check out his Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge video. Probably the closest we have to the S8 and I don't think he'll have an S8 video done before release.

I learned my lesson with the 6P anyways: don't keep my very expensive phone in my pocket while wearing jeans and crawling around on the floor with my 18 month daughter. Shit will bend....

NeOak

I made sure to check out his Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge video. Probably the closest we have to the S8 and I don't think he'll have an S8 video done before release.

I learned my lesson with the 6P anyways: don't keep my very expensive phone in my pocket while wearing jeans and crawling around on the floor with my 18 month daughter. Shit will bend....

But you can easily exchange it at the Apple Sto... oh wait...

Jeffrey

I just stopped wearing jeans once I start getting big phones lol.

Khakis for work. Gym shorts for other time lol.

kaiyo

Sony flagship cycle always confused me. They basically resell the same phone again every few months with slightly new something and a new name?

And its a fixed schedule too. So the XZ isn't getting the 835 so it's basically last year phone with extra slowmo?

XZs is just a refresh of the XZ. XZ Premium is the "Successor" of the Z5 Premium. XZ2 (5.2") will come out in Oct-ish probably with SD835. And maybe with the same design as XZ Premium except the back is matte instead of reflective like on the XZ Premium.

demented

I know the release is on 21st April but some s8s already leaked, at least in my country. Few sellers have them, starting selling them this weekend, right now only hands on.
800e s8 900 s8+, hopefully that drops because it's more than at operator...

CronoShot

My unlocked Moto Z finally got a security update! It was on November for the longest time. So what is it? March? Maybe even April?

Nope. February. Moto pls.

clav

Was (mostly) joking. Point is, Moto likes releasing months old security updates. Seemingly without reason too, since the Droid models are up to March.

Some people complain about updates breaking the system ranging from reduced battery life to application errors + function losses.

Slower can be better for users who don't want to understand technical details.

I guess weird release intervals involve engineering teams who need to communicate with their hardware partners to certify drivers. Qualcomm is partially to blame. Project managers put all their efforts in flagships, and teams are only so big now since marketing budgets usually dwarf engineering's. If your product doesn't sell, then there is no next product. If nobody hears/knows about the product, then obviously it's not going to sell.

You have to understand process involves money unless the hardware was manufactured under the same label (see Samsung Exynos + other new proprietary chipsets).

For Google though, big picture is trying to eventually build a kernel that can update seemlessly through the mainline Linux kernel. Google is already a big Linux kernel contributor, and I suppose they were hoping some partners were going to hop on board. That never did quite occur as you see every hardware manufacturer out there branching out with their own proprietary chipsets. Now Google is willing to spend more money in developing hardware to make that happen.

clav

I don't work there, so I don't know the details at the company. Also I guess Google's Pixel isn't on AOSP software.

Google releases two updates. One pushes out at the first day of the month, and another pushes out almost a week after.

I mean it should have came with a SD821

Edit: it's also dual Sim (hybrid sim/mSD card tho) and is 64gb internal storage compared to XZ

Still not worth 700. They didnt even try to add user experience stuff like wireless charging or QC 3.0. Upgrading the battery and make it QHD would've been a good start too. It's a joke.

clav

I just don't bother with QC unless you plan on replacing your phone every year.

Doubt users replace batteries since so many here were vocal about non-replaceable batteries by saying ease of replacing is a non-issue.

kaiyo

Still not worth 700. They didnt even try to add user experience stuff like wireless charging or QC 3.0. Upgrading the battery and make it QHD would've been a good start too. It's a joke.

The XZ already has QC 3.0. The adapter it comes with is not QC3.0 though, but is better for overnight charges. As quick charging kills the battery faster.

Quasar

Yes iphone can shoot raw photos.

Andy prefers iphone but he has switched to android more than once already but he always seems to go back to iphone eventually. And it's usually something related to photos lol.

Given his Android podcast (which is great) and general chatter I've not seen him go back. He does of course still use iPhones though (though his regular phone continues to be a pixel), but then he seems to test almost everything in relation to cameras.

Seems like the new HTC u phone is sd835 but doesn't support qc 4.0?

Samsung is still 2.0?

This stuff is so confusing.
I honestly stopped trying to understand this stuff.

anyway I used a G6 today for a decent length of time and it's actually not bad. I mean I'd never buy it and the S8 was better in almost every single way from my hands on but it's definitely a huge improvement over previous LG stuff. If you're an LG guy at least.

Seems like the new HTC u phone is sd835 but doesn't support qc 4.0?

Samsung is still 2.0?

This stuff is so confusing.

Samsung has their own Adaptive Fast Charging tech that they used well before QC was a thing. their included chargers use their tech. supporting older QC is probably part of their deal.

Not really sure what to replace my 6P with in a few months, no upcoming phone really excites me.

Well the good news is that the Nexus 6P is a great phone aside from its tendency to bend (RIP.....). Looks nice. Great screen. Great camera.

What would be exciting for you? I had the 6P and the S8 looks pretty exciting for me, but that's mostly because I've had to go back to using the HTC M8 for now.

Groof

Well the good news is that the Nexus 6P is a great phone aside from its tendency to bend (RIP.....). Looks nice. Great screen. Great camera.

What would be exciting for you? I had the 6P and the S8 looks pretty exciting for me, but that's mostly because I've had to go back to using the HTC M8 for now.

don't forget the battery not giving two shits about you.

I honestly stopped trying to understand this stuff.

anyway I used a G6 today for a decent length of time and it's actually not bad. I mean I'd never buy it and the S8 was better in almost every single way from my hands on but it's definitely a huge improvement over previous LG stuff. If you're an LG guy at least.
Damn lol. Never ever?
don't forget the battery not giving two shits about you.
"Fuck you and your family."- 6P battery

Neva Eva. LG is not long for this world. Other than the deranged fingerprint location the s8 is better in every single way. I legit don't know why any human would purchase. I'm not even being a LG hater I genuinely don't get it lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Neva Eva. LG is not long for this world. Other than the deranged fingerprint location the s8 is better in every single way. I legit don't know why any human would purchase. I'm not even being a LG hater I genuinely don't get it lol.
It's been like that forever. Unless you wanted a removable battery, zero reason to go LG over Samscum.

this_guy

LG's drop in value quickly and by June/July you should be able to find a G6 hopefully in the $400-450 range. At that price I'd consider LG.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Actually the dual camera setup in the LG might be better than the S8 as well. At the very least it wins for certain use cases.

Software is basically a wash.

Samsung wins on the display and the chipset for whatever the chipset is worth in the real world. Samsung also wins on base storage.

Both phones have shit audio not counting headphone jack.

Honestly you could make a case for just getting the LG IF it was actually cheaper. As Jeffrey said when the phone drops in price then it's probably a worthy pickup. I don't see the S8 dropping in price anytime soon. So a $500 G6 might make a compelling case in a few months.

For what's it's worth our boy who posts here occasionally posted his G6 video review today.

Android Headlines LG G6 Review

Top Bottom