• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How about that improved camera, though

reKon

Banned
How about that improved camera, though

If the software really did improve, I'm fine with that too. Isn't that the kind of issue that Sony has with their cameras? Great hardware, but can't execute on the image processing?

The S7 camera is brilliant.. I don't even have to try. The only main upgrade I want is 2X zoom from the iPhone 7 Plus.

I wouldn't consider an LG for any price until it's proven they've fixed their bootloops

Ok, I hear about this all the time, but how often does this actually happen?

Are we talking RRoD Xbox 360 occurrence? Or is it Sony DS4 thumbstick falling apart level? Or is it Note 7 catch on fire level?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's happened to literally every single LG mobile device I've owned, to include the LG G Watch R.

If the software really did improve, I'm fine with that too. Isn't that the kind of issue that Sony has with their cameras? Great hardware, but can't execute on the image processing?

The S7 camera is brilliant.. I don't even have to try. The only main upgrade I want is 2X zoom from the iPhone 7 Plus.

but it's not the same camera.

IMX333 in GS8 vs IMX260 last year.

HQHWKp6.jpg

or S5K2L2 instead of S5K2L1 last year if you get the Sam sensor.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honor 8 Pro announced in UK:

http://m.androidcentral.com/honor-8-pro

probably not coming to the US

Seems legit, but not as total budget friendly as the Honor 8.

The creeping up in price of these budget phones has me worried. Granted this is the Pro model according to the name. OP3T also went up a hair from the OP3 though.

I just hope the budget flagships don't keep increasing a little bit here or there and next thing you know the OP6 is $600 vs $400.

Neva Eva. LG is not long for this world. Other than the deranged fingerprint location the s8 is better in every single way. I legit don't know why any human would purchase. I'm not even being a LG hater I genuinely don't get it lol.

A lot of people really like that wide angle lens on the camera.

Reckoner

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15188128/phone-bezels-look-dated

Verge shitting on Sony for bezels lol. But yeah, you can argue the practicality of a bezel less screen, but man do they look good at first impression and press renders.

People gonna laugh at your face Sony trying to sell that shit for $700 the week after the s8 was revealed, and the month of positive prerelease coverage for the g6.

I would still take Sony phone because of software

but it's not the same camera.

IMX333 in GS8 vs IMX260 last year.

or S5K2L2 instead of S5K2L1 last year if you get the Sam sensor.

There was also a blind camera test conducted between the two phones. But it was obvious which photos were better and that they came from the S8. But I guess... hur durr same megapixels same camera?

Vanillalite

There was also a blind camera test conducted between the two phones. But it was obvious which photos were better and that they came from the S8. But I guess... hur durr same megapixels same camera?

It wasn't just that though. Samsung didn't make a deal of the new sensor during the press event which muddied the waters.

People figured if it was a new sensor they would have said so. It's also worth noting everyone who did a video from the event said the same thing. It's basically the same sensor with better software. Yet none of the PR reps corrected anyone.

It's nice that's it's a new sensor. I blame Samsung for the PR though since everyone basically had the same info.

CoolOff

So, I'm getting a new phone as part of a new job, but I'm only covered up to what's basically a Galaxy S7 (they have a budget based on iPhone models). Would you guys say it's worth it for me to put in 200 to 250 dollars of my own money to get an S8 instead? Comparing the specs it doesn't really seem like a huge gain?

On a Nexus 5X at the moment and it's frustratingly slow, since it replaced a LG G4 that I lost.

Jeffrey

So, I'm getting a new phone as part of a new job, but I'm only covered up to what's basically a Galaxy S7 (they have a budget based on iPhone models). Would you guys say it's worth it for me to put in 200 to 250 dollars of my own money to get an S8 instead? Comparing the specs it doesn't really seem like a huge gain?

On a Nexus 5X at the moment and it's frustratingly slow, since it replaced a LG G4 that I lost.
Is this your own phone or a work phone?

Seems silly to put money down for a office phone that you lose if you get laid off or something.

But otherwise go s8. Don't feel like buying a year old Samsung phone is a great option.

It wasn't just that though. Samsung didn't make a deal of the new sensor during the press event which muddied the waters.

People figured if it was a new sensor they would have said so. It's also worth noting everyone who did a video from the event said the same thing. It's basically the same sensor with better software. Yet none of the PR reps corrected anyone.

It's nice that's it's a new sensor. I blame Samsung for the PR though since everyone basically had the same info.

the PR reps also said you couldn't swap the buttons... then i found out you could... and tried it myself the next day at Samsung 837

CoolOff

Is this your own phone or a work phone?

Seems silly to put money down for a office phone that you lose if you get laid off or something.

But otherwise go s8. Don't feel like buying a year old Samsung phone is a great option.

It will be my only phone, since I'm going to port my private number to it. Not too worried about job security.

I went down to the store earlier to compare them, and the S8 does look a lot more... expensive...? The S7 design is kind of a let down honestly.

Jeffrey

Damn the verge g6 review.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15188830/lg-g6-2017-review-phone-specs

Participation reward lol. Writer even tries to spin it as a positive but... Damn.

It will be my only phone, since I'm going to port my private number to it. Not too worried about job security.

I went down to the store earlier to compare them, and the S8 does look a lot more... expensive...? The S7 design is kind of a let down honestly.

S7 is what, about $650 in allowance?

If you aren't on Verizon or sprint, maybe check out unlocked phones like oneplus 3t?

kaiyo

Too bad their cameras are average at best and the lack of FP sensor in the US. I don't want to flash a different firmware thanks.

It's their top of the line (sensors) camera. Just that their algorithm isn't up to par with it. Even then pictures taken from it isn't average at best.

Participation reward lol. Writer even tries to spin it as a positive but... Damn.

You forgot to include the picture :p

Brutal but... that's how I feel as well. I heard about the G6 and was super excited for it. It was going to be my next phone. Then I learned about the S8 (I don't always follow android news closely) and suddenly I'm ok waiting 3 more weeks. Sucks for LG.

LeleSocho

Banned

Sounds about right, G6's single hook is the screen and there are phone both already out and in the very proximity of being released that do the screen gimmick better than it.

Actually... now that i think about it aside the screen resolution the Mi Mix which was released in November last year is better in every single way compared to the G6

Sounds about right, G6's single hook is the screen and there are phone both already out and in the very proximity of being released that do the screen gimmick better than it.

To be fair, I don't think it's a gimmick. I think it's going to be the standard soon. My phone looks positively ancient next to the G6 or the S8. And LG did a decent job integrating that screen size into their camera software.

I honestly find it hard to go back to non OLED screens now. So if a phone has an LCD screen, everything else needs to blow me away. And the G6 just didn't do that.

Vanillalite

Lg actually uses the big screen better than Samsung.

Most of Samsung apps don't seem to use the extra screen in a unique fashion. Basically the same stuff as S7 on nougat.

Yeah that camera app looks pretty dope for using the extra screen.

Still say the biggest issue isn't the phone itself. It's purely down to pricing and storage. They should have launched between $500-$600 with 64 gigs.

LeleSocho

Banned
To be fair, I don't think it's a gimmick. I think it's going to be the standard soon. My phone looks positively ancient next to the G6 or the S8. And LG did a decent job integrating that screen size into their camera software.

I honestly find it hard to go back to non OLED screens now. So if a phone has an LCD screen, everything else needs to blow me away. And the G6 just didn't do that.

I used gimmick as a synonym of hook, eye catching feature not as the mainly negative meaning.
Though... curves, rounded borders and bizarro aspect ratios are useless gimmicks that either will not last or will be relegated to the smartphones market.

How do you review a phone without mentioning the size of the screen?

Bboy AJ

Those running Android O, how's it going? And on what phone?

the ZUK Z2 is an impressive phone and i am enjoying it , currently running the most recent indian rom( stock) and looking for recomendations on apps and things to tweak like page width and how to make google apps behave better ?

i also have an LG G2 D02 most current lollipop supported on the platform and wondering what steps i need to take to safely get it from the current rom to somthing like linage OS ?

also anyone got a link to LGs upgrade matrix ?

P.S Nougat is coming to the ZUK Z2 soon -currently in beta

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-zuk-z2/how-to/z2-nougat-update-coming-soon-t3577386

Laekon

I didn't follow any of the S8 launch media so I was really impressed by a demo unit I saw today. The new design feels much better then the S7 edge. The finger print scanner placement on the normal model is easy in my right hand but a little reach in my left. The demo software sucked (US Best Buy). Still its just really nice and makes me consider going back to monthly payments instead of just buying a $400 phone outright.

The battery test linked above takes care of my only real concern. Even if the 835 gets lower battery life it's still good enough for me personally coming from a 5X and being a light user.

Husker86

So Gboard has the GIF button disabled in Hangouts when sending an SMS message.

I'm now using Google Fi, so using Hangouts for SMS is ideal since then I can respond from the web (or any device that has Hangouts).

If you paste a GIF, it displays fine. If you receive a GIF, it displays fine. But no, the Hangouts app has a flag set for SMS messages saying GIF keyboard support is disabled.

I don't know why I expected anything better from Google.

reKon

Banned
They deleted the article, apparently.

jLz8p4f.png

I think they have the least reliable test ever when it comes to testing battery. Like some of there past results have absolutely made no sense.

I like using Anandtech and GSMArena for this kind of stuff.

Top Bottom