• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

I do always forget other prepaid services.

Haven't looked into Cricket in a very long time. I'm assuming they still throttle LTE speeds, which I'm not a fan of. Also sucks that you can't tether on unlimited plans (I need tethering ability).

If you only need a single line AT&T's newer GoPhone plans are pretty attractive. $45 ($40 with autopay) for 6gb data, includes tethering, calls to and from Mexico and Canada, and doesn't throttle like Cricket. GoPhone's unlimited plan at $65/month is worse than Cricket's though because AT&T decided to throttle speeds at 3mb/s (versus Cricket's 8mb/s).

Jeffrey

Huh? So the new iPhone will also be AMOLED?

Seems so. From all the rumors out there so far, it seems like the new iPhone will mostly just be a rebranded s8 lol.

Hopefully amoled gives apple the opportunity to do a true dark theme.

Mostly so other android oem will copy it.

The LG G6 reviews and hands-on impressions I've seen are mostly positive (aside from that participation award).

And while there are no actual reviews of the S8 yet, most impressions I've been seeing are pretty negative.

This guy on Reddit working on a review barely has a good thing to say about it.

Q: How does the screen distortion/reflection on the edges compare to the S7 Edge?
I had an S7 edge, and couldn't stand that.

A: Sorry to disappoint you, but this issue still exists. Also, I did find that the screen has a very strange pink hue on the edges.

Q: Battery life?
A: Battery life doesn't seem to be very great.

Q: People say bezel less phones are more difficult to operate than normal phones, so my question is how does it feel to hold the phone? Accidental touches, grip, comfort etc?

A: Well, I do find it a little slippery for my taste. Also, the grip is not that great because of the thin metallic frame. I would not recommend using it on a long term without a case. Accidental touches are still an issue with one hand operations.

Q: Important question! How "smooth" is the phone? Does it lag like the usual Samsung smartphone, or is it smooth like, say, a Pixel?

A: It lags. Framedrops everywhere.

Lots more in there

Jeffrey

The LG G6 reviews and hands-on impressions I've seen are mostly positive (aside from that participation award).

And while there are no actual reviews of the S8 yet, most impressions I've been seeing are pretty negative.

This guy on Reddit working on a review barely has a good thing to say about it.

Lots more in there

Seems as expected. Iterative jump from the S7 edge. Shame performance is still an issue.

The demo units I've played with weren't amazing either.

Will probably use a s8 until the new iPhone comes out. Probably keeping my pixel.

Jeffrey

Am I crazy that I still think mi mix is the doppest looking phone out right now? I think it's to do with the lack of stuff at the top that LG and Samsung don't have the 'courage' yet.

reKon

Banned
Need some advice.

Co-worker wants best small android phone. Doesn't want to wait until May to get Pixel from At&t (fail Google). I might recommend checking Swappa, but in case that doesn't work out.

What's the best small phone that he should go with. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but Sony might actually get a win here. He said he wanted something smaller, reliable, and built well. He's also strongly for stock Android. Pixel would be the perfect choice, but he doesn't want to wait to buy it and he's not waiting for the Pixel 2.The options I was going to give him were:

Sony Compact X (need to explain the fingerprint thing to him though, lol)

Huawei Honor 8

Galaxy S7

Need some thoughts from anyone who has experience with the Compact X and Honor 8.
I think out of these, it's the best bang for buck unless they are still selling $400 S7's.

Jeffrey

Need some advice.

Co-worker wants best small android phone. Doesn't want to wait until May to get Pixel from At&t (fail Google). I might recommend checking Swappa, but in case that doesn't work out.

What's the best small phone that he should go with. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but Sony might actually get a win here. He said he wanted something smaller, reliable, and built well. He's also strongly for stock Android. Pixel would be the perfect choice, but he doesn't want to wait to buy it and he's not waiting for the Pixel 2.The options I was going to give him were:

Huawei Honor 8

Galaxy S7

Need some thoughts from anyone who has experience with the Compact X and Honor 8.
I think out of these, it's the best bang for buck unless they are still selling $400 S7's.

Wait at&t is getting pixel?

reKon

Banned
Hmmm throw the moto G5 plus on that list.

5.2" is smallish. 625 is powerful enough for smooth operation and Motorola is close to stock.

Oh yeah good point. The 625 is crazy efficient. I feel like the camera will be lacking though

Edit: Nvm. The G5 Plus is bigger than you think, lol.

Guess he's not interested in iOS? Supposedly the iPhone SE's going to be getting cheap tomorrow on AT&T. They are supposed to offer it as a GoPhone option for $200 + $40 Service Card although you should be able to use it on a regular plan and just get rid of the old SIM.

Jeffrey

Oh yeah good point. The 625 is crazy efficient. I feel like the camera will be lacking though

Edit: Nvm. The G5 Plus is bigger than you think, lol.
5.2 is the same as honor 8 I think?

Maybe look at LG G6 as well. Deceptively small phone. Don't think it's that much bigger than pixel but with way more screen.

reKon

Banned
Guess he's not interested in iOS? Supposedly the iPhone SE's going to be getting cheap tomorrow on AT&T. They are supposed to offer it as a GoPhone option for $200 + $40 Service Card although you should be able to use it on a regular plan and just get rid of the old SIM.

Yeah he said no iPhone. He's not really into Samsung either because he wants stock... which sucks because Honor 8 is a great bang for buck phone. I'm still going to present that option.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Until idiots like me stop buying their phones for their amazing screens and great cameras, Samsung ain't gonna care one bit about performance. Looking forward to seeing how much more laggy my S8 will be compared to my iphone 7+.

kaiyo

Need some advice.

Huawei Honor 8

Galaxy S7

X Compact is the stock-est one in that list. It's water resistant even though Sony doesn't advertise that.

NeOak

Need some advice.

Huawei Honor 8

Galaxy S7

The S8 is pretty small 😜

I think I'll get a SE to try it out.

This actually sounds like the shittiest flagship HTC has ever made. No headphone jack? Can only use HTC branded USB-C headphones? Have to buy a headphone jack adapter separately? FFS HTC

It also has an anemic battery of 3,000mAh (for a device this size), and uses last year's chipset (821). Oh, and no waterproofing, which is now standard in flagships. All that, and it costs an arm-and-a-leg.

The funniest part is that a teardown shows that there is a lot of empty/hollow space within the chassis. They could have easily upped the battery size or reduced the overall footprint of the device.

Yet, they did neither.

Saiyan-Rox

Got my Google Home today been playing around with it but so far the GF has used it the most to listen to music....which is a free trail for 3 months xD

Hasney

My LG Watch R just got the 2.0 update and... It's laggy to the point of unusable. Looks good though, going to revert and hope the next update fixes it.

It also has an anemic battery of 3,000mAh (for a device this size), and uses last year's chipset (821). Oh, and no waterproofing, which is now standard in flagships. All that, and it costs an arm-and-a-leg.

The funniest part is that a teardown shows that there is a lot of empty/hollow space within the chassis. They could have easily upped the battery size or reduced the overall footprint of the device.

Yet, they did neither.

Damn. How far have you fallen HTC?

Saiyan-Rox

My LG Watch R just got the 2.0 update and... It's laggy to the point of unusable. Looks good though, going to revert and hope the next update fixes it.

That bad huh? my old G watch R lagged a bit on Marshmallow too tbh....I ended up getting rid of it for a moto 360 gen 2 which I like the look of much better but didn't realise updates were...well bad.

RuGalz

Yeah he said no iPhone. He's not really into Samsung either because he wants stock... which sucks because Honor 8 is a great bang for buck phone. I'm still going to present that option.

Honor 8 has shit ton of bugs that's why I want to get rid of it as soon as I can figure out what to get. Leaning toward to when HTC10 goes on fire sale and put LineageOS on it.

Gotta agree with those S8 reviews. Despite it having the best screen, I finally got to see one in person and was disappointed by the very prominent chromatic aberration around the edges due to my glasses. That will give me a headache in a few minutes.
This might rule out the otherwise excellent Galaxy S8 for me.

Laekon

Gotta agree with those S8 reviews. Despite it having the best screen, I finally got to see one in person and was disappointed by the very prominent chromatic aberration around the edges due to my glasses. That will give me a headache in a few minutes.
This might rule out the otherwise excellent Galaxy S8 for me.

I wear glasses and didn't notice anything wrong with the screen.

I didn't notice any either, but the constant glare on the edges is annoying tbh

Oh no, do I just have cheap glasses or something? Maybe it has to do with the glass (from the glasses or the phone)? Definitely in the top left where the screen is rounded, there's like a red edge on the left curve and if I see it without glasses, it's normal.
The LG G6 doesn't have this problem. So I may end up picking that.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Picked up a 64GB Moto G5 Plus and started setting it up.

Overall annoying that Android keeps wasting a lot of 'white space' in the UI when it can be much more compact (7.0/Nougat).
Also flabbergasted that it reports the Android OS install is 10GB. Holy shit.

Strange thing I noticed was the text size for the Weather Underground app was wonky and would be too large and or out of place in some areas. Somewhat resolved by setting the font and icon/theme size to the smallest settings.

My old phone was a Moto X Gen 2. You can definitely see the difference between the superior AMOLED in the X vs the IPS LCD in the G5. Kinda disappointed at how much better the X screen is.

Hasney

That bad huh? my old G watch R lagged a bit on Marshmallow too tbh....I ended up getting rid of it for a moto 360 gen 2 which I like the look of much better but didn't realise updates were...well bad.

No issues prior to the 2.0 update for me, everything was pretty snappy. This is taking 4 seconds to open an app bad.

EmiPrime

I was going to wait for the Android SD835 phones and the Apple godphone to get released before upgrading but my phone battery is pretty knackered (20% drop overnight) and I might need to buy something before then. I don't feel good about buying a flagship now for obvious reasons so I am considering the Xperia X Compact and the iPhone SE. I know what to expect with the SE but nobody I know has the Xperia, I just like that Sony are pretty good for updates and it can be had for about £300 (I think I missed the boat on those 64GB iPhone SE deals). Anyone used both?

Jeffrey

Prebomba. You can get a g6 at launch at sprint for $14.75 a month for 2 years,so $354.

If you are on sprint, seems like a great deal for a participation award!

BraXzy

With the S8 having an all glass back, I feel like it needs a case. Especially after seeing a drop test show it fracture after a waist height drop.

My current LG G3 case is a Spigen and it's done me well... should I grab something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XP521V1/

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a wireless charger to pick up for it? I have no idea what I should go for?

Jeffrey

The best thing about the gear s3 frontier so far after using it for a few months, shit is super durable. It's a huge watch so i accidentally bang it around often, but it's still blemish free. It's usually the wall or what not that transfers onto it lol. Quick soak in water cleans it up.

Lol. I swear reviews in the past dinged it for not having it? So weird.
With the S8 having an all glass back, I feel like it needs a case. Especially after seeing a drop test show it fracture after a waist height drop.

My current LG G3 case is a Spigen and it's done me well... should I grab something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XP521V1/

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a wireless charger to pick up for it? I have no idea what I should go for?

I like spigen rugged armor. Good blend of thin and durable and grip, and also doesn't look funky after used for a while.

S3 is easily my favorite smart watch I've owned and I've had about 4 that I've used for a long period of time. Does all the simple things so much better than AW.

LeleSocho

Banned
S3 is easily my favorite smart watch I've owned and I've had about 4 that I've used for a long period of time. Does all the simple things so much better than AW.

The S3 really felt great and like a real watch compared to every other wearable but dang the recent news about Tizen being secure as a rotten wooden box are scary...

Top Bottom