• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

the phones? bah... giving them away to fam anyway.

waiting on Note 8.

That's fantastic. How did you get that invite, anyway?
on the Wednesday a week before the GS8 launch, they sent out an email to all 10,000+ respondents that the first 50 who replied would win a trip to the GS8 event.

i replied immediately.

the next day, a law firm contacted me about being a winner and sent some documents i had to fill out... so of course i immediately googled it and checked twitter etc and looked up the firm and saw several other people were saying the same thing and saw that the firm handles all sorts of prize claims and also saw that the firm and Samsung responded to others saying it was legit.

then i was like

filled out the forms, emailed them back and waited. explained the situation to my boss who was totally cool with it

on Sunday, they called me to set up flight times etc...

on Monday i was emailed the itinerary.

Tuesday morning i headed to the airport.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
what makes this wireless pad different from older samsung ones?

is there faster wireless charging tech yet?

Biggest thing is this one swivels. The old model your phone lay flat. This model it title so can bring your phone up and I guess see it better for notifications and such.

Seems cool, but as I said before no reason to get a wireless charger just cause. Wait and cop one when they go on sale.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's really interesting how wireless charging is like five years old but uncommon today. Five years ago, no one would have predicted wireless charging as still uncommon.

Apple coming for you.

Jeffrey

It's really interesting how wireless charging is like five years old but uncommon today. Five years ago, no one would have predicted wireless charging as still uncommon.

Apple coming for you.

guess its mostly the charging speed. Also with usb-c and lightning cables... can't really insert it wrong, not really hard to use lol.

And you can't really use a phone while on a wireless mat vs tethered to a cable.

There are just far too little convenience benefits imo.

Also doesn't it heat up your phone quite a bit?

Detox

What's a good mid-range phone? I think I'll be able to get an exnyos s7 edge just under £300 would that be the best option?

Vanillalite

Apple coming for you.

It's too stationary. People might have a charging station at home or on a work desk.

You can't take that with you per se. It's also not a game changer in terms of what it does. It saves you 2 secs from plugging in the cord.

Bigger deal is fast charging. That's where Apple in particular needs to improve. Their batteries last forever, but the charge time blows.

Quick charge is the bigger game changer.

To quote Floss you need that shit, shower, and shave phone.

Biggest thing is this one swivels. The old model your phone lay flat. This model it title so can bring your phone up and I guess see it better for notifications and such.

Seems cool, but as I said before no reason to get a wireless charger just cause. Wait and cop one when they go on sale.

the previous one was tilted.

the one before that was flat.

this one swivels.

and Samsung's wireless fast charging tech is only ~30% slower than wired.

guess its mostly the charging speed. Also with usb-c and lightning cables... can't really insert it wrong, not really hard to use lol.

And you can't really use a phone while on a wireless mat vs tethered to a cable.

There are just far too little convenience benefits imo.

Also doesn't it heat up your phone quite a bit?

it's pretty usable on the stand.

Apple coming for you.

iirc at som,e poiint in time they made a note out of saying their wireless charging tech was faster than the included wired charger of 'a major competitor' or something like that. don't recall the exact words.

Vanillalite

Might try and wait and see if Google gets it right with the Pixel 2 or the iPhone J8sus.

In the meantime I might just order a Moto G5 to tide me over.

Detox

Don't know anything better at that price.

Thanks

OnePlus 3t available for just over £300 on o2 refresh

Is that really better than an s7 edge? Most of the reviews I've read say its a good alternative if you don't want to break the bank on the samsung flagship. I'm pretty sure there will be some great deals on the s7 edge over the next few weeks.

One thing I'm not sure on with Samsung touting the S8's better battery life after 1yr / 2yrs of use. Do the s7's have particularly bad battery life or just the standard losing some charge over time like all over phones?

kharma45

Thanks

Is that really better than an s7 edge? Most of the reviews I've read say its a good alternative if you don't want to break the bank on the samsung flagship. I'm pretty sure there will be some great deals on the s7 edge over the next few weeks.

One thing I'm not sure on with Samsung touting the S8's better battery life after 1yr / 2yrs of use. Do the s7's have particularly bad battery life or just the standard losing some charge over time like all over phones?

It's not better. You'd be mad to take the 3T over the S7.

O2 Refresh I've read numerous times going wrong for people trying to pay off. The theory behind it is good but too often O2 cock up and people are out money quite a while.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really like the fact that Samsung put a hardware button for Bixby. That's a good thing. A dedicated hardware button makes the voice assistant so much more accessible.

Does it work like a push to talk phone or walkie talkie? I hope so.

linkboy

Every once in a while, I'll have an issue with my Nexus 6P where my wifi won't work and my mac address is unavailable.

In order to get WiFi working again, I have to eject my SIM card, reboot the phone and then reinsert the SIM card.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of an issue like that. My phone is rooted, but it happens on just about every custom rom I've used. My SIM card is a Straight Talk Verizon SIM.

It's not a huge issue since a simple reboot fixes it, just a minor annoyance. Seems to have started happening after I upgraded to Nougat roms.

Bboy AJ

Samsung makes everything. Their hardware, pretty much every component Samsung can create. From memory chips, displays and CPUs, Samsung can make a phone without outsourcing anything. Even Apple can't do this - their components are made by other companies.

Not only that, but they've gotten good at it. The Exynos CPU series is competitive, they have a near monopoly over the OLED market because their screens are downright awesome. They can make a phone from the bottom up, without help.

The only thing they cannot do themselves is the software. They rely on Android and it's clear they don't like it as they seem to be distancing themselves from Google as much as possible. See: Android wear, GApps competition apps, Bixby. Samsung doesn't have a replacement for Android. Tizen is not made by Samsung and it's pretty bad, the security and ecosystem is crap. So until Samsung makes their own mobile OS, they can't get total hardware and software control like Apple. They're very close though, except for the fact they have no taste and make trash, speaking design wise.

Thoughts?

Jeffrey

Samsung makes everything. Their hardware, pretty much every component Samsung can create. From memory chips, displays and CPUs, Samsung can make a phone without outsourcing anything. Even Apple can't do this - their components are made by other companies.

Not only that, but they've gotten good at it. The Exynos CPU series is competitive, they have a near monopoly over the OLED market because their screens are downright awesome. They can make a phone from the bottom up, without help.

The only thing they cannot do themselves is the software. They rely on Android and it's clear they don't like it as they seem to be distancing themselves from Google as much as possible. See: Android wear, GApps competition apps, Bixby. Samsung doesn't have a replacement for Android. Tizen is not made by Samsung and it's pretty bad, the security and ecosystem is crap. So until Samsung makes their own mobile OS, they can't get total hardware and software control like Apple. They're very close though, except for the fact they have no taste and make trash, speaking design wise.

Thoughts?

Saw this on reddit lol.

Generally agree. As long as they can figure out how to not suck, then... Idk what else they need they are already at the top of the hill lol.

I'm curious if they are bothered by their performance. Speed tests don't sell phones, but I assume there are image cautious executives at Samsung that don't want their image to be slow and bloat.

Especially compare to Apple.

linkboy

Thoughts?

I love everything about Samsung's phones except the software. I've gotten so used to stock android that it's hard for me to use a Samsung phone.

The price is also an issue since I prefer to buy my phones outright and use pre-paid carriers. There's no way I could afford a Galaxy S8.

LeleSocho

Banned

Thoughts?

I think that on the contrary of what you said Samsung is very scared of leaving Android, for a company the size of Samsung it really wouldn't take that many resources to refine Tizen for a couple of years and make sure that the top100 apps get ported to the new ecosystem, heck even if they wanted to scrap Tizen and start anew it wouldn't take that much at all.
They don't have the courage of releasing one year a true flagship with their own stuff without an Android counterpart, they probably think it's too risky and it would make them lose the status of being THE Android OEM, too bad that in the long run this lack of guts will bite them back because Google seems very serious about making their own phones and they have the control of everything including locking up others out of awesome features (like Google Assistant at the beginning of Nougat).

They have the potential of being a company superior to Apple because they actually make and not only design their own hardware but i think they just don't have the culture to do so.

Thoughts?

I have no doubt in my mind Samsung wants to have their own smartphone OS as their driver for all their products. I believe that's their goal right now.

They're just stuck and can't move on to do it. I don't think 3rd party app support, the fact Android is a huge app ecosystems, is allowing them to move on from Android, together with some other factors.

linkboy

I have no doubt in my mind Samsung wants to have their own smartphone OS as their driver for all their products. I believe that's their goal right now.

They're just stuck and can't move on to do it. I don't think 3rd party app support, the fact Android is a huge app ecosystems, is allowing them to move on from Android, together with some other factors.

I'm surprised they don't fork it like Amazon did. Would solve the 3rd party app support as it's still basically Android, just not from Google.

Outside of not wanting to piss off Google, that would be a better option then trying to make Tinzen a thing.

Jeffrey

5084ce59ly1fe6lyi70f4j217m1jk7li.jpg

Maybe note 8 leak.

Seems believable.

reKon

Banned
The Black version is only $2 more for a total of $262.

This is the best deal I've ever seen for a phone off contract.

Vanillalite

Vanillalite

If Qualcomm could somehow cook up an actual mid range gpu to go along with their current cpu offerings the Moto G6 could be the GOAT.

Played with a G5, and performance is a big step up from the G4. The clock speed bump shows.

625 is a solid jump from the 617.

clav

If Qualcomm could somehow cook up an actual mid range gpu to go along with their current cpu offerings the Moto G6 could be the GOAT.

Played with a G5, and performance is a big step up from the G4. The clock speed bump shows.

625 is a solid jump from the 617.

That's because 61X is garbage just like 808/810.

G5 runs on 430.

I suppose you mean G5 Plus?

Top Bottom