• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hasney

Still one of the biggest issues in Android.

It's also why despite being over the performance cap for general use it's sometimes hard to recommend last year's phones. Usually they are good for one big update, and then they get filed to the side.

So if a phone launched with Android M, and it's now gotten the Android N update you might be buying a phone at the end of it's update life.

That's the same in iPhone world still, isn't it? Might have gotten better now they released a lower specced phone, but when my 3G got 4.0 and my 4S got 6.0, I may as well have binned them as they were close to unusable

Ty4on

I have a few days off work and am thinking of finally flashing Android 7.1 onto my Nexus 4. It's bone stock RN and I've never even rooted a device though so does it sound like a good idea to unlock it with Nexus Root Toolkit and proceeding from there? If it fails for whatever reason it'll at least be nice to get a fresh install on it.

I kinda wanna use the opportunity of rooting it to finally down-clock and under-volt the processor too, but I guess I can do that later.

Edit: The earlier posts of poor support seem fitting ._.

I don't buy the speed argument. Sure, phones have been getting faster, but we don't have the massive changes that we used to have and iOS' animations are much more taxing (even sending some new devices to their knees). We've even seen some Android updates reduce the load.
Phones also haven't been getting that much faster, especially mid end. The Krait cores' perf in general tasks is still either faster or roughly the same as the A53 cores we find in pretty much every low and mid spec phone out there. The old Krait ofc lacks 64bit and ARMv8 instructions, but 7 still runs fine on 32bit.

Jeffrey

Seems like the oled iPhone will be short in supply.

Hate staying up to 3am est to preorder iphones. At least Samsung does midnight est and s8 is plentiful in stock still I think.

But yeah with Google on the prowl, 2017 is gonna all be about them 'flexible' oled panels.

Tech rumors about specs are really boring these days. It basically boils down to "successor might have better specs than the predecessor".

Well, yeah. Great. New flagship is going to sport the latest flagship specs. For more shocking news, watch the news at 11.

Unless there is a big design change, those rumors are worthless.

Agreed. Leaks only get interesting once we start getting render leaks or potato cam footage.

Then we will have something to complain amount!

Ty4on

I predict the next "iPhone-gate" will be related to the AMOLED burn in some are going to notice. Not because it'll be bigger than what it is on current phones, but because imperfections like that can blow up in the Apple sphere.

I'm also the biggest AMOLED hater out there so biased af :p

That's the same in iPhone world still, isn't it? Might have gotten better now they released a lower specced phone, but when my 3G got 4.0 and my 4S got 6.0, I may as well have binned them as they were close to unusable

No way. My mom is using an iPhone 5S which launched with iOS 7.0. It's now on iOS 10.3.1 and perfectly usable. Meanwhile my old Nexus 5 - which is probably one of the better supported Android phones - is already abandoned. I'm not even going to get into the sorry state of the Galaxy S4 which was also released around the same time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

We aren't even talking that old though. I think I'd be perfectly fine with getting two Android versions (along with random bug or security updates).

So like 2017 phones would get O and P next year. A lot of phones now aren't even getting that. Look at the OP3.

This is let alone that Apple supports devices for like 3 to 4 years depending.

Like if you wanted to buy that cheap Honor 8 that was on sale over the weekend you had to ask yourself will this thing ever actually get Android O? If it does will that be it? Am I okay with that?

Ty4on

No way. My mom is using an iPhone 5S which launched with iOS 7.0. It's now on iOS 10.3.1 and perfectly usable. Meanwhile my old Nexus 5 - which is probably one of the better supported Android phones - is already abandoned. I'm not even going to get into the sorry state of the Galaxy S4 which was also released around the same time.

4S was back when Apple used generic CPU designs. I'd say the 5S is when Apple started to be a generation or two ahead of everyone in CPU perf. It's kinda insane how beefy that CPU was.

Jeffrey

The best thing Google has done imo is separate security updates from core updates.

I think in general most people dislike the huge updates that change shit around. And on Android often hurts performance and battery life too.

Nougat added splitscreen and better notifications, but these are really only useful for power users.

I bet if Apple wasn't spamming you to upgrade all the time most people would decline to update.

Laekon

How many features does it actually have from the latest iOS? My only iOS device is a current one, iPad Pro, but I remember both my iPad 2 and 4 not really getting any new features. It was basically a new skin some times.

I'll also point out that most os updates now don't add any useful features. They just shuffle shit around and add some emojis. My 5X is no better with nougat then it was with marshmallow. I have no clue what 7.1 added.

Edit: Poster above me gets it in my opinion. I just should have not waited 20 minutes to hit the post button.

Quasar

Tech rumors about specs are really boring these days. It basically boils down to "successor might have better specs than the predecessor".

Well, yeah. Great. New flagship is going to sport the latest flagship specs. For more shocking news, watch the news at 11.

Unless there is a big design change, those rumors are worthless.

Which we haven't seen in forever aside from loss of headphone jacks. Otherwise its all rectangular slabs with rounded corners of ever increasing thinness.

Jeffrey

Which we haven't seen in forever aside from loss of headphone jacks. Otherwise its all rectangular slabs with rounded corners of ever increasing thinness.
These days is about how much slab your slab is. Also how curvy your slab is.

Anyone remember that LG flex? Ahead of its time.

IronRaven

I predict the next "iPhone-gate" will be related to the AMOLED burn in some are going to notice. Not because it'll be bigger than what it is on current phones, but because imperfections like that can blow up in the Apple sphere.

I'm also the biggest AMOLED hater out there so biased af :p

Really? Why do you hate AMOLED?

Ty4on

Burn in, pentile, "dotty" look with lot's of black space around pixels, reflective in sunlight, generally worse brightness and rainbow colors when viewed off-axis. I just don't think they look good.
I know it's far from the greatest panel, but looking at a coworker's OnePlus3T made me scrap plans of possibly getting it down the line. It just flat out looks uglier than my Nexus 4 screen.

LCDs to me just make so much more sense on a computing device. There will be static content, it'll be used in lit places where black levels are fine and there's lot's of white so power consumption is the same or better on LCD.

I'm still on my Nexus 4 so longevity is important to me. Especially now when everything half decent is a fortune. When the lifespan is so poor they can't even put an even number of subpixels in it then ehhhhh.

LeleSocho

Banned

Because it has a buttload of problems that LCDs don't have and all for lower black levels.
Apple will give an huge spotlight to AMOLED problems, i hope it will bring some sanity in the minds of hardware manufacturer and consumers in general.
Goddamn stupid fad hope it dies as soon as possible.

Furyous

Seems like a bad time for Apple to supposedly be implementing software buttons on the new iPhone while using AMOLED for the screen...

That's only for, allegedly mind you as none of us are Apple employees, the 5.8 inch version of the device. The rest of the phones will be LCD wide color gamut displays for modern people that hate burn in.

My fellow AMOLED hater welcome to the club. *passes around fresh botanicals for use in modern vaporizers*

reKon

Banned
Because it has a buttload of problems that LCDs don't have and all for lower black levels.
Apple will give an huge spotlight to AMOLED problems, i hope it will bring some sanity in the minds of hardware manufacturer and consumers in general.
Goddamn stupid fad hope it dies as soon as possible.

I'm going to wait on your receipts on this one.

Burn in, pentile, "dotty" look with lot's of black space around pixels, reflective in sunlight, generally worse brightness and rainbow colors when viewed off-axis. I just don't think they look good.
I know it's far from the greatest panel, but looking at a coworker's OnePlus3T made me scrap plans of possibly getting it down the line. It just flat out looks uglier than my Nexus 4 screen.

LCDs to me just make so much more sense on a computing device. There will be static content, it'll be used in lit places where black levels are fine and there's lot's of white so power consumption is the same or better on LCD.

I'm still on my Nexus 4 so longevity is important to me. Especially now when everything half decent is a fortune. When the lifespan is so poor they can't even put an even number of subpixels in it then ehhhhh.
It's the color fringing, right? I saw a Galaxy Express 3 in person and it has one of the worst displays I've seen on a smartphone. The fringing is even visible in the picture. It looks even worse from a normal viewing distance for me.

Jeffrey

im so glad im partially color blind and not the best eyesight.

none of this stuff bothers me ever lol. I mean well screen burn in is a thing for sure,

Ty4on

It's the color fringing, right? I saw a Galaxy Express 3 in person and it has one of the worst displays I've seen on a smartphone. The fringing is even visible in the picture. It looks even worse from a normal viewing distance for me.

Yeah. All of them has fringing at extreme angles, but it was quite noticeable on the OP3 when I looked at it. It also seems like AMOLEDs suffer more when the screen is dirty (tho LCDs suffer too).
But blacks look so good though.
LCDs have better blacks in daylight tho :p

I also don't notice it much because I always have brightness near minimum. Not really for battery, I just don't like looking at a bright screen.

longdi

Banned
OP3T pentile amoled has like only 60% of the pixels compared to 1080p ips. Even on my s7e wqhd screen, text looks less sharp than wqhd ips.

What happened to the rumor wqhd rgb screen Samsung is using for s8?

I love my LG OLED TV, but I definitely don't need it on my phone. Resolution aside, it wasn't a big step up from the IPS screen on my Nexus 5 and the whites are still to yellowish.

Cipherr

So Apples next phone will have the full front all screen as well. With no more physical home button.

We about to see that shameless 180 from everyone hating on software buttons now. Everyones gonna hop on board with how much sense on screen buttons make. Don't worry though we will accept y'all clowns even still.
3QwjBrw.png

Hasney

Got Android Wear 2.0 pushed again with a different build number on my LG Watch R and it seems much more usable now, although battery life has taken a hit. maybe it will correct itself after a few days use, but maybe LG enabled some of the disabled cores to get the speed up which will drain the battery slightly.

Also got the O beta on my Pixel C and I kinda hate it. The app drawer, the icons and the G icon on the home screen are just bad. I really hate the all white buttons too.

We aren't even talking that old though. I think I'd be perfectly fine with getting two Android versions (along with random bug or security updates).

So like 2017 phones would get O and P next year. A lot of phones now aren't even getting that. Look at the OP3.

This is let alone that Apple supports devices for like 3 to 4 years depending.

Like if you wanted to buy that cheap Honor 8 that was on sale over the weekend you had to ask yourself will this thing ever actually get Android O? If it does will that be it? Am I okay with that?

I was only comparing it to the 2 years of Nexus/Pixel phones as there the only ones to get really if you give a shit about non-security updates. But good to hear they last longer now. Figured they had to with the lower specced SE and when they re-launched the 5 as 5C.

PillarEN

Hey I'm trying to transfer my mom's contacts from her iPhone to her Gmail account as she needs to transfer the contacts to her new android phone.

Following the steps for Part 1 here: https://tunesgo.wondershare.com/iphone-contacts/transfer-iphone-contacts-to-gmail.html#part1

Out of the hundreds of contacts I'm only able to transfer 24. What is the deal? Are some contacts on the sim and some on the phone? I've repeated the process several times. Can't get any more of her contacts? What am I doing wrong iphone to Android users?

Edit: ok never mind. I brute forced the issue using the vCard transfer. So all her contacts are now in her google contacts. For some reason they are not showing up on her phone though. Geez

Edit2: success. It didn't occur to me that the phone wouldn't sync automatically. Had to go to the account in the contacts and resync. We'll finally lol.

Ty4on

Isn't part of the gain from AMOLED on phones from energy consumption?

Yes and no. This "OLED uses less power" is an old myth because they can shut down pixels. They've improved a lot, but historically AMOLED have thrived when the screen was dark (movies, dark themed apps/webpages), but consumed more power than LCD with brighter content (white webpages) because the bigger LCD backlight is more efficient per lumens.

It's also a bit hard to compare because most AMOLED displays will throttle brightness when there's a lot of white on screen because they can't supply the power or overheat. Less so the newest panels, but I still think they use the overhead to boost brightness when APL is low.

It used to be that LCDs were much better in general usage, but as AMOLEDs have gotten better they're maybe around even, probably a bit better with the best AMOLEDs. If you watch a lot of dark content the advantage is higher.

If it is for power I suspect Apple will make the next iOS much darker similar to Apple Watch OS. Their explanation on stage for making it darker will probably be so you can see the black levels.

Jeffrey

Hey I'm trying to transfer my mom's contacts from her iPhone to her Gmail account as she needs to transfer the contacts to her new android phone.

Following the steps for Part 1 here: https://tunesgo.wondershare.com/iphone-contacts/transfer-iphone-contacts-to-gmail.html#part1

Out of the hundreds of contacts I'm only able to transfer 24. What is the deal? Are some contacts on the sim and some on the phone? I've repeated the process several times. Can't get any more of her contacts? What am I doing wrong iphone to Android users?

Edit: ok never mind. I brute forced the issue using the vCard transfer. So all her contacts are now in her google contacts. For some reason they are not showing up on her phone though. Geez

Edit2: success. It didn't occur to me that the phone wouldn't sync automatically. Had to go to the account in the contacts and resync. We'll finally lol.

Had to do this before lol. Still have dupes, too lazy to clean.

LeleSocho

Banned
Oh look, some people haven't even looked at a Samsung's top end AMOLED displays.

Oh look, you are wrong!
The "b-but you haven't seen the latest and more modern panels, those were problem 5 years ago" cycle is in full throttle once again like clockwork.

That's a moot point, OLED consumes less only when the screen is black but consumes more (and the panel itself deteriorates more) when it's white/bright colors, since the web is mostly white colors...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This only works specifically when the screen is displaying true black ie hex code #000000.

Be even a hair off and the pixels have to light up.

Works fantastic for shit like always on displays where it can be true black then just display a small amount of notifications.

Doesn't work so well in that when you're using your phone 99% of the time you aren't actually displaying true black.

LCDs have their own set of issues though. The real world true story is neither display type is perfect. There also is huge variance in displays of the same type. Not all LCDs are equal. Ditto for AMOLED.

PS: Expect Android GAF to keep giving hot takes preferring one or the other though.

Mindwipe

Also got the O beta on my Pixel C and I kinda hate it. The app drawer, the icons and the G icon on the home screen are just bad. I really hate the all white buttons too.

That's all in 7.1.2, no?

It looks like they're abandoning the G already tbh. And it's all stock launcher issues.

LeleSocho

Banned
LCDs have their own set of issues though. The real world true story is neither display type is perfect. There also is huge variance in displays of the same type. Not all LCDs are equal. Ditto for AMOLED.

No one said otherwise but OLEDs have more problems now regardless of their quality.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got some hot takes:

Google Photos is weak sauce on iOS when you take a ton of photos and don't upload them periodically. I went on holiday for two weeks with poor internet. So I had to wait to upload my photos. It's a total pain and super unreliable. Also, iCloud is a pain. I can't mass pull the full size photos from iCloud. I'm figuring out some work arounds.

Man, crap like this is why I miss Android. All I had to do on Android was use Solid Explorer to move photo files to my NAS.

Jeffrey

Uhhhh new rumors say new oneplus will cut battery back to 3000mah for thinness? Pls. Op3 was already kinda below average. 2k screen on 3000mah battery doesn't seem amazing.

http://m.gsmarena.com/new_rumored_s..._snapdragon_835_and_qhd_screen-news-24466.php

Got some hot takes:

Google Photos is weak sauce on iOS when you take a ton of photos and don't upload them periodically. I went on holiday for two weeks with poor internet. So I had to wait to upload my photos. It's a total pain and super unreliable. Also, iCloud is a pain. I can't mass pull the full size photos from iCloud. I'm figuring out some work arounds.

Man, crap like this is why I miss Android. All I had to do on Android was use Solid Explorer to move photo files to my NAS.

Getting anything on and off an iPhone is a huge pain.

Try to get a mp3 on an iPhone through iTunes is still a head scratcher.

Think you have to disable icloud, and sync? Idk.

reKon

Banned
Uhhhh new rumors say new oneplus will cut battery back to 3000mah for thinness? Pls. Op3 was already kinda below average. 2k screen on 3000mah battery doesn't seem amazing.

http://m.gsmarena.com/new_rumored_s..._snapdragon_835_and_qhd_screen-news-24466.php

I was actually thinking about whether the new iPad would be a future possible purchase because I think it's a great buy at its new entry price. But then I did some reading and saw that you still need to use iTunes to use any sort of file transfer. I couldn't believe it...

So that's a big nope for me. That have been a tons of times where I'm about to travel and I quickly want to just drag and drop media to my tablet in 2 secs before running out the door. Sometimes I do it through USB OTG if there's already stuff on there. On an iPad I wouldn't be able to. On top of that, there's no PS4 remote play on it.

Other than that, it's definitely an excellent device for 98% of people out there. Most people I know should not be wasting money on an iPad Pro based on what I see them use it for.

Colleague of mine has a Verizon Pixel, and wants a badge on her homescreen indicating the number of voicemails she has using the Verizon voicemail. Other than suggesting she use Nova Launcher/TeslaUnread, any other suggestions I can throw her way?

I guess their new sales tactic is to release one with a small battery and then release one with a bigger battery 6 months later.

Top Bottom