• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Just played around a bit with the S8 at Best Buy. Insane how small the phone is with the screen size. Screen is gorgeous. The edge stuff isn't too practical though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I dig the narrower aspect ratio. It makes sense for what I use my phone for. You can probably dig up a few of my old posts complaining about widescreen desktop monitors being the mainstream. It makes no sense to lose vertical resolution. I understand wide screen aspect ratios for TVs and mostly entertainment devices. But web browsing, document writing, and similar activities are better for me with more vertical resolution.

Quixzlizx

I dig the narrower aspect ratio. It makes sense for what I use my phone for. You can probably dig up a few of my old posts complaining about widescreen desktop monitors being the mainstream. It makes no sense to lose vertical resolution. I understand wide screen aspect ratios for TVs and mostly entertainment devices. But web browsing, document writing, and similar activities are better for me with more vertical resolution.

Spreadsheets.

thenexus6

Question.. what does my phone do this in certain apps like instagram? But none others? I am using nova launcher but I switched back to google now launcher and its the same.

AMYWs1Z.png

Its got this dark mode thing going, except for signal?

Home screen and most other apps are all white:

Kinda making my OCD go crazy..

Groof

Question.. what does my phone do this in certain apps like instagram? But none others? I am using nova launcher but I switched back to google now launcher and its the same.

Its got this dark mode thing going, except for signal?

Home screen and most other apps are all white:

Kinda making my OCD go crazy..

It's system icons dark theme. It has to be enabled by the developers which is why it doesn't do change in all apps. It's been around since 5.0 I think yet devs still ignore it for some reason.

As for why your signal icon isn't changing colour idk, seems like a bug on your end.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rumors a float this morning.

Google trying to revive LG's push for OLED on mobile which they've basically abandoned.

Guess the line of reasoning is they want OLED panels for the Pixel 2, and they can't get any from Samsung cause Sammy and Apple will have them all. That means Google would have supply chain worries again.

Paganmoon

So is the Galaxy Gear S3 a good Fitbit Blaze replacement? Not followed any smartwatch discussions (since I've been on Windows Mobile), so not sure what's good out there.

Jeffrey

So is the Galaxy Gear S3 a good Fitbit Blaze replacement? Not followed any smartwatch discussions (since I've been on Windows Mobile), so not sure what's good out there.
It's good feature wise but too big and heavy for me. It's like swinging a counter weight when jogging lol

Vanillalite

I feel like you'd be better off just getting a fitness band.

Samsung makes the Fit 2 currently.

Paganmoon

It's good feature wise but too big and heavy for me. It's like swinging a counter weight when jogging lol

Ok, it's stated weight is 59g, the blaze is supposedly 44g, so not that bad, for the greater feature set?

I feel like you'd be better off just getting a fitness band.

Samsung makes the Fit 2 currently.

I've got the Blaze already, but looking for something a bit more, so not sure if another fitness band would be a good upgrade.

Jeffrey

Yo Faceless. How was gorilla glass 5 on the note 7? Is it liveable screen protector less?

I'm researching screen protectors for S7 edge and seems like curved stuff all sucks.

Ok, it's stated weight is 59g, the blaze is supposedly 44g, so not that bad, for the greater feature set?

I've got the Blaze already, but looking for something a bit more, so not sure if another fitness band would be a good upgrade.
If you are fine with the blaze give the gear s3 a try. Most places have a 2 week return policy. It's been discounted to $250 in the past so look for that.

Samsung pay is a game changer alone (if it's supported by your bank and you don't already have a Samsung phone)

Vanillalite

It's bigger. I'd just go to the store and check out the lineup of smartwatches to see for yourself if the size is ok.

You also have to figure out what extra features you really need or will use since you already have a fitness band.

reKon

Banned
Why is BGR always showing up on the Yahoo home page? That web site is fucking terrible and 80% of the articles are clickbait bullshit.

IronRaven

I just turned off my 6P to clear the partition and noticed it stopped recognizing my sim card. I've restarted my phone and it still won't recognize it. :/

Edit: Never mind. It just need to be completely turned off and back on again. Something something volatile memory.

Yo Faceless. How was gorilla glass 5 on the note 7? Is it liveable screen protector less?

I'm researching screen protectors for S7 edge and seems like curved stuff all sucks.
Was fine as my daily driver. Haven't been using a screen protector on any phone in over a year now. Note 4, Note 7 and Note 5 screens are all fine.

Jeffrey

I kind of forgot that OnePlus is a Chinese company. Naturally, they would skip the number 4.

Edit: 8 gigs of RAM seems like a bit of a waste. Would the phone even be able to take advantage of that much RAM?

No clue. At some point the numbers are just for marketing. Also china market loves big numbers. Main reason why Samsung is selling a 6gb ram s8 in china exclusively.

Paganmoon

If you are fine with the blaze give the gear s3 a try. Most places have a 2 week return policy. It's been discounted to $250 in the past so look for that.

Samsung pay is a game changer alone (if it's supported by your bank and you don't already have a Samsung phone)

It's bigger. I'd just go to the store and check out the lineup of smartwatches to see for yourself if the size is ok.

You also have to figure out what extra features you really need or will use since you already have a fitness band.

Thanks, my bank just recently started a co-operation with Samsung, and they've stated Samsung Pay should be launched sometime in 2017. Then again, I'm getting an S8 as well.

Will have to look into the feature set a bit more I think. Looking for something that looks better than the Blaze, and does more, but the size could be an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

Saiyan-Rox

The whle shi=death thing? Whenever i've seen this thing being rumored it never panned out also OnePlus is more a international company than Chinese... yeah I don't think I'm going to believe this rumor.

The said the same about the PlayStation too and I'm sure about other things and it's never happened afaik.

Jeffrey

Wonder if OnePlus will forget op3 exists after 2017 one comes out like they did with op2.

Them still being silent about it getting nougat or not is a bad look.

Vanillalite

Wonder if OnePlus will forget op3 exists after 2017 one comes out like they did with op2.

Them still being silent about it getting nougat or not is a bad look.

Still one of the biggest issues in Android.

It's also why despite being over the performance cap for general use it's sometimes hard to recommend last year's phones. Usually they are good for one big update, and then they get filed to the side.

So if a phone launched with Android M, and it's now gotten the Android N update you might be buying a phone at the end of it's update life.

Tech rumors about specs are really boring these days. It basically boils down to "successor might have better specs than the predecessor".

Well, yeah. Great. New flagship is going to sport the latest flagship specs. For more shocking news, watch the news at 11.

Unless there is a big design change, those rumors are worthless.

Top Bottom