• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
If it's a 2K screen with that small of battery... you better fucking hope to god that 835 is that fucking efficient...

I think that this is the main improvement in this CPU. Not so much the performance. The GPU got a big boost as well.

I'm fine the 835 performance if it allows the S8 to perform as well as the Exynos S7... at the very least. The issue here is that I think that for the S8, is that any battery life improvements would be offset by the bigger screen, which is fine, if it were the Exynos version. The SD820 version is the really the one that needed the boost - not that battery on this bad, but the Exynos version has a 15% - 20% boost in battery performance. That's just bad.

Woot. My 3T arrived today. Hopefully there isn't any defects.

I guess their new sales tactic is to release one with a small battery and then release one with a bigger battery 6 months later.
You might be on to something. Especially after the glowing reviews for the 3T. They should focus on making an outstanding camera at the midrange sector...

IronRaven

These targeted ads are just mocking me at this point.

IPt9cFr.jpg

Ty4on

LCDs have their own set of issues though. The real world true story is neither display type is perfect. There also is huge variance in displays of the same type. Not all LCDs are equal. Ditto for AMOLED.

With LCDs though a lot of them are smaller or have been minimized. I guess the biggest is pixel response time and while it's not very noticeable nowadays scrolling text is still almost impossible to read and is unacceptable for VR.

The big thing to me is reliability wise they pretty much don't age and there's not much to go wrong until the backlight burns out. AMOLEDs will get better, but I doubt we'll ever get to a place where they don't age one way or another. Phones are replaced often, but they're also used heavily with the screen on for hours every day.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Sorry this was posted before and I'm dying to know if this is a phone issue or just the nature of my old screen vs the new screen.

So I have a Moto G5 Plus and my old phone was a Moto X Gen 2. The screen on the G5 Plus is an IPS LED and the X Gen 2 was AMOLED.

First thing I noticed with the Moto G5 Plus was that the screen was really washed out and dull compared to my old Moto X Gen 2. I know the G5 Plus has an IPS LCD display and the Moto X Gen 2 has an AMOLED display but jeez the G5 Plus looks terrible.

I adjusted the brightness, tried to use auto brightness, and went betwen the VIbrant and Regular colors for my display and it still looks terrible.

I never really thought there would be this large of a difference between the AMOLED screen on my old phone and the IPS LCD on the new phone so I'm guessing something might be wrong.

Googling and reading reviews never mentioned anything.

Are there any suggestions with changing the settings or is there really something wrong with my phone? I posted on the Lenovo forums but it's mostly a shit-show.

Sorry this was posted before and I'm dying to know if this is a phone issue or just the nature of my old screen vs the new screen.

So I have a Moto G5 Plus and my old phone was a Moto X Gen 2. The screen on the G5 Plus is an IPS LED and the X Gen 2 was AMOLED.

First thing I noticed with the Moto G5 Plus was that the screen was really washed out and dull compared to my old Moto X Gen 2. I know the G5 Plus has an IPS LCD display and the Moto X Gen 2 has an AMOLED display but jeez the G5 Plus looks terrible.

I adjusted the brightness, tried to use auto brightness, and went betwen the VIbrant and Regular colors for my display and it still looks terrible.

I never really thought there would be this large of a difference between the AMOLED screen on my old phone and the IPS LCD on the new phone so I'm guessing something might be wrong.

Are there any suggestions with changing the settings or is there really something wrong with my phone? I posted on the Lenovo forums but it's mostly a shit-show.
Pretty sure that's just from you getting accustomed to an amoled display. Did you check the color accuracy for your phone?

Ty4on

It could be that you're used to the saturation and gamma of the old phone. I suggest going to a store (with your Moto G, screens look different under different light) and compare it to an iPhone (LCD) and a Samsung Galaxy S7/S8 (AMOLED) with the display set to basic. Both of them should be calibrate accurately to SRGB so if they also look washed out, you're probably just used to the Moto X while if they're fine you might have a bad screen.

Haven't seen any analysis results of the G5 display, but I think we would've heard something if it was off the norm.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Pretty sure that's just from you getting accustomed to an amoled display. Did you check the color accuracy for your phone?

Is this referring to the "Color Mode" in my display options?
I have two options, Standard or Vibrant, and while they look slightly different the overall grossness is still present.

I did unlock my developer options and I don't have the option for "Picture Color Mode' with the sRGB toggle. Everything in the developer options menu is exactly what I would expect but that specific option is not present when it should be between "Running Services" and "WebView Implementation"

Picture below is what it should look like and mine doesn't have the "Picture Color Mode" option.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention:
The neat-o thing is if I search in Settings for 'color' the "Picture Color Mode" shows a hit but when I tap on it it takes me to the developer options menu but the option isn't there.

It could be that you're used to the saturation and gamma of the old phone. I suggest going to a store (with your Moto G, screens look different under different light) and compare it to an iPhone (LCD) and a Samsung Galaxy S7/S8 (AMOLED) with the display set to basic. Both of them should be calibrate accurately to SRGB so if they also look washed out, you're probably just used to the Moto X while if they're fine you might have a bad screen.

Haven't seen any analysis results of the G5 display, but I think we would've heard something if it was off the norm.

That's my plan after work today.

Menaged

My Nexus 5x battery keeps getting shittier post Nougat. Android OS at 18% battery drain.
I'll give 7.1.2 a try when it's out, and if it doesn't help I'll try downgrading to Marshmallow.

TransTrender

Gold Member

I guess this is what you were looking for.

On color accuracy, the G5 Plus reasserted its dominance with a Delta-E rating of 0.94, significantly better than the Honor 6X's 3.28 and the Blade V8 Pro's 2.6. (Numbers closer to 0 are better).

From here:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/moto-g5-plus,review-4277.html

Also the pictures of the phone screen on the review site look better than the one in my hand.

Oh look, you are wrong!
The "b-but you haven't seen the latest and more modern panels, those were problem 5 years ago" cycle is in full throttle once again like clockwork.

Burn in happens, but you are greatly exagerating the cons of AMOLED. And, Am I?
Kudos for putting words I didn't say, too

reKon

Banned
No bixby voice at launch. No shame Samsung. I really need to stop giving this company my money.

I just bought a fucking TV from them because LG won't make their OLED cheap enough. I love a good picture, but not at a $1000 premium. Just doesn't make sense.

Maybe they should have waited till it was ready. Like on the S9.
lol I don't even know what to say about them any more. I swear it's amateur hour in the android world sometimes. Do they even care?

Speaking of that. Did everyone read that article on the huawei dude showing you why android wear is failing. Not sure if it was posted but it's all great.

http://www.scmp.com/business/compan...wei-ceo-sees-no-future-wearable-smart-devices

I'm mostly just rooting for oneplus and for google to not suck with the pixel 2.

Quasar

lol I don't even know what to say about them any more. I swear it's amateur hour in the android world sometimes. Do they even care?

Speaking of that. Did everyone read that article on the huawei dude showing you why android wear is failing. Not sure if it was posted but it's all great.

That's clearly not how I took the article. Though its interesting that a CEO who doesn't get wearables would even greatlight such a project.

Of course that said...I haven't seen a case yet for me to buy a smart watch from anyone to replace my fitness watch. and I think there needs to be some radical tech advancement for that to change.

It has like no side bezels. Can't get much smaller unless you go curved.
I just don't like small phones. My Moto X from 2014 feels like a toy. And people want that?
Yeah. Was at the bar after work and there were a bunch of friends with iPhone 5,6, and 7s and my phone looks like shit.
Also a Nexus 6p and Moto Pure and mine still looks like shit.
Perhaps you got a defective unit then?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Perhaps you got a defective unit then?
Most likely.
A Best Buy right now and they had a phone out. Double checked color settings and brightness and the other phone looks better.
Getting an exchange now.

Edit.

Whelp the plan was to get an exchange but they were out of stock on both colors of the 64GB version and the closest stores with inventory were too far away for me to willingly, possibly, make two trips. Got to go back tomorrow with the accessories and return this phone, order the new one, and use my old one until the new one gets in.

Jeffrey

I just don't like small phones. My Moto X from 2014 feels like a toy. And people want that?

I don't mind small phones, but they must be actually 1 hand usable (can reach notifications).

Otherwise make it as big as it can fit on my car mount and my khakis!

I miss my mate 9 lol. Such a beast. EMUI 5 was a letdown though.

That's clearly not how I took the article. Though its interesting that a CEO who doesn't get wearables would even greatlight such a project.

Of course that said...I haven't seen a case yet for me to buy a smart watch from anyone to replace my fitness watch. and I think there needs to be some radical tech advancement for that to change.
Just shows there's no real vision there is what I took away. A guy with no vision for the market dictating what gets put out. Like why bother.

NeOak

Tempted to get one of the iPhone SEs for $200 at AT&T due to craving to play with a new phone while waiting for the S8+.

Sigh.

No bixby voice at launch. No shame Samsung. I really need to stop giving this company my money.

Can't believe the balls on them to give it a dedicated button that will undoubtedly continually go off in your pocket. That's a big enough reason not to buy the s8 right there.

NeOak

Can't believe the balls on them to give it a dedicated button that will undoubtedly continually go off in your pocket. That's a big enough reason not to buy the s8 right there.

huh? wut? got a source for that statement or is it "Tales from your ass"?

Quasar

Because this makes sense to them somehow. Goddamn it Google.

Well having it in the home app makes sense to me.I do think the implementation that seems like it opens a browser window though is dumb. As is my apparent inability to add to lists with assistant with Allo.

Mindwipe

Well having it in the home app makes sense to me.I do think the implementation that seems like it opens a browser window though is dumb. As is my apparent inability to add to lists with assistant with Allo.

The app implementation doesn't even work outside the US because Google Express doesn't exist.

What a collosal fuck up.

LeleSocho

Banned
Burn in happens, but you are greatly exagerating the cons of AMOLED. And, Am I?
Kudos for putting words I didn't say, too

Burn in doesn't happen on any remotely decent LCD though, "burn in happens" should really be the motto of OLED users.
I'm not exaggerating anything, high end consumer OLED displays still have weird subpixels layout, still have rainbowing, still consume more when displaying bright colors, still have ghosting/motion blur because they are emissive display, still have IR etc. etc.

Oh please are you trying to convince me that "Oh look, some people haven't even looked at a Samsung's top end AMOLED displays." doesn't mean that the problems we have talked about are not present in the "latest and greatest" like people say every. single. year. only to be proven wrong? I didn't put anything in your mouth the intent was clear, you are not fooling anyone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tempted to get one of the iPhone SEs for $200 at AT&T due to craving to play with a new phone while waiting for the S8+.

Sigh.
Go for it. It's really nice and the size is really refreshing.

Update my P9 lite to Nougat/EMUI.
Somehow the fingerprint turned bad and won't recognize my fingerprint.
It's grinding my gears that it won't unlock so fast just like before.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung again copying Apple by releasing a non-functional voice assistant.

Top Bottom