• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Mindwipe

Guess it was better than Apple releasing a map app that barely worked for a year and no way to change default apps on iOS lol.

Apple Maps arguably still doesn't work now. It was much worse than that.

As it stands the Bixby button basically just loads a recommendation homepage for Samsung to put adverts in, or you have to knacker your device with lag to enable button remapping.

If Samsung has any common sense it will realise that is a very bad place to be in and sort it very, very, very quickly.

Update my P9 lite to Nougat/EMUI.
Somehow the fingerprint turned bad and won't recognize my fingerprint.
It's grinding my gears that it won't unlock so fast just like before.

Haven't seen this happen before, the update has been going well for everyone. What steps have you tried to fix it? Like restarting, etc?

I understand how annoying that is.

multivac

Hey everyone, hoping it's alright to ask a question!

I'm an iPhone guy for a while now and I don't have any experience with Android since the HTC Evo. However, I recently bought a Galaxy S5 to use as a business phone wifi-only with Google Voice/Google Hangouts.

The problem is, the battery life is absolutely abysmal. I'm talking 100-20 over the course of a day with ZERO usage (business isn't open yet so I'm just letting it sit on to test battery life).

I'm used to my iPhone 6 which I can use for hours everyday and still have 50% battery life by bedtime. With that in mind, I can't imagine the S5 battery is performing normally.

Can any S5 owners lend their expertise? Should I buy a new battery? I wouldn't make such a deal out of it but I need something I can leave on the counter waiting for calls and plug in once a day before I go home.

Thanks!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Should have bought something else if you wanted better battery levels.

Did you buy the phone new or used? If you bought it used then yeah a new battery might help.

Still didn't buy a great phone for battery life.

Jeffrey

I'm an iPhone guy for a while now and I don't have any experience with Android since the HTC Evo. However, I recently bought a Galaxy S5 to use as a business phone wifi-only with Google Voice/Google Hangouts.

The problem is, the battery life is absolutely abysmal. I'm talking 100-20 over the course of a day with ZERO usage (business isn't open yet so I'm just letting it sit on to test battery life).

I'm used to my iPhone 6 which I can use for hours everyday and still have 50% battery life by bedtime. With that in mind, I can't imagine the S5 battery is performing normally.

Can any S5 owners lend their expertise? Should I buy a new battery? I wouldn't make such a deal out of it but I need something I can leave on the counter waiting for calls and plug in once a day before I go home.

Thanks!

Return it if it's new. Battery shouldn't be that bad.

If it's used, maybe get a long micro usb cable that can reach your desk?

Wtf is this 1.3GB update my 6p just popped with after the April update just popped and installed

Hmm I swore I already had 47I update as I had a update pop after that announcement last month, wonder why I got so delayed

multivac

Should have bought something else if you wanted better battery levels.

Did you buy the phone new or used? If you bought it used then yeah a new battery might help.

Still didn't buy a great phone for battery life.

Return it if it's new. Battery shouldn't be that bad.

If it's used, maybe get a long micro usb cable that can reach your desk?

I got it for $35 used without a scratch on it which I gather is a fantastic deal, so that was my primary motivation for buying that model. Guess I should've looked into its battery use reputation first though!

I'll buy a new battery then, thanks guys!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I got it for $35 used without a scratch on it which I gather is a fantastic deal, so that was my primary motivation for buying that model. Guess I should've looked into its battery use reputation first though!

I'll buy a new battery then, thanks guys!

Yeah definitely look into a battery.

$35 I can't blame ya!

Saiyan-Rox

Got one of the official pixel XL cases from eBay for £7 (bidding so is a genuine case) and i love it i thought it looked like a cheap case but it feels really good.

Also added a bit of a dbranding to it
3WJLsrH.jpg

Thanks!

Biggest benefit of having S5 is replaceable battery and giant battery cases.

https://www.amazon.ca/PowerBear-Samsung-Extended-Battery-Protective/dp/B015HU1CCC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7X78C4PQC2G7MBPCA2PB

These things last forever with this kind of cases. For business I would do that. I have Lg g3 same era as S5 and it works like a charm.

NeOak

What? The button exists? Go watch a review or go to a store with a demo unit.

I have held both S8 and S8+.

You are really exaggerating about that button being pressed while in a pocket. Stop putting your keys in the same pocket as your phone then.

Go for it. It's really nice and the size is really refreshing.

I'll think about it. Thanks Bboy.

So that is what the extra space inside the HTC U Ultra was for.

Apple Maps arguably still doesn't work now. It was much worse than that.
Yeah, I pretty much can't let my girlfriend use her iPhone to navigate us while I'm driving, especially around downtown Seattle. Calls out turns too late, does weird routes occasionally, isn't as accurate with traffic.

Yeah, I pretty much can't let my girlfriend use her iPhone to navigate us while I'm driving, especially around downtown Seattle. Calls out turns too late, does weird routes occasionally, isn't as accurate with traffic.
Anyone with an iPhone should absolutely have Waze installed for navigation.

Boogiepop

So random quick question: I bought a Galaxy S7 not too long ago, and I've just run up against the storage limits on it. Now, part of the reason I went with this phone was for the SD card slot for memory expansion, but I'm reading now that maybe it's not so simple because of how SD card storage is treated or something?

Pretty much have 16 GB of music, and then some assorted other stuff filling up the rest. My biggest concern is the music itself, as that's where I see much of my future memory usage going too. Oh, and I've been playing stuff off of Play Music, which seems simple enough.

To cut to the chase (aka tldr), if I just go out and get a 32 GB micro SD to plug into this thing, could I just reroute all my music data to that no problem? Or am I going to be dealing with some for of shenanigans to get this all working smoothly? (Pretty much just trying to figure out what I'll be doing ahead of time, before I pull the trigger on buying the SD card)

Boogiepop

Just move the music to the SD Card

And why only 32GB?
Awesome, if it's that easy, then that's good to hear and I'll go ahead and pull the trigger, thanks!

And I'm honestly pretty limited in what I actually use my phone for, so nothing but music is really going to add to the amount of space I'm using up. And seeing as 16 GB of music is all I have after buying stuff for years and years, I'm guessing that probably won't increase dramatically enough any time soon to justify bumping up to a bigger size either.

I have a odd question. So I just jumped from a iPhone to a Pixel XL and when I go to Gmail on my pixel, amazon emails and such dont show the nice logos anymore. My Gmail on ios did. Is that normal? Any way to make the pixel xl do it?

Mindwipe

So random quick question: I bought a Galaxy S7 not too long ago, and I've just run up against the storage limits on it. Now, part of the reason I went with this phone was for the SD card slot for memory expansion, but I'm reading now that maybe it's not so simple because of how SD card storage is treated or something?

Pretty much have 16 GB of music, and then some assorted other stuff filling up the rest. My biggest concern is the music itself, as that's where I see much of my future memory usage going too. Oh, and I've been playing stuff off of Play Music, which seems simple enough.

To cut to the chase (aka tldr), if I just go out and get a 32 GB micro SD to plug into this thing, could I just reroute all my music data to that no problem? Or am I going to be dealing with some for of shenanigans to get this all working smoothly? (Pretty much just trying to figure out what I'll be doing ahead of time, before I pull the trigger on buying the SD card)

Certainly SD cards are not perfect on Android, there are lots of apps that get a bit fussy about having two different types of storage speed.

But... music is not one of them. Play Music absolutely supports SD card use, it's just in the settings, store on SD card, and then all downloads will go there instead. I don't think it will automatically transfer the music already on your device though, you'll probably have to delete it and redownload it.

IronRaven

I have a odd question. So I just jumped from a iPhone to a Pixel XL and when I go to Gmail on my pixel, amazon emails and such dont show the nice logos anymore. My Gmail on ios did. Is that normal? Any way to make the pixel xl do it?

I think that might be normal for the Android Gmail client. For me, all I see is the first letter of the name of the sender.

Jeffrey

A oneplus model number A5000 was spotted in the database of china's radio regulation stuff.

Op3 was A3000. Op3t was a3010.

Glad that new phones are coming out now that Samsung is almost out.

Sanjuro

Howdy, people!

I just pulled the trigger on Galaxy S8+ and have some questions for those who have been using USB-C. My only need for this cable has come with the Nintendo Switch funny enough.

Is there anything else I need to know when purchasing cables or restrictions? I've heard they are easier to damage your product than the standard.

Also on a lesser note, any one have any experience selling phones? I generally want to avoid Craigslist and Ebay. Think I might put something on here or try CEX.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I laughed when the Android guys were the only ones who were laughing with me.

Howdy, people!

I just pulled the trigger on Galaxy S8+ and have some questions for those who have been using USB-C. My only need for this cable has come with the Nintendo Switch funny enough.

Is there anything else I need to know when purchasing cables or restrictions? I've heard they are easier to damage your product than the standard.

Also on a lesser note, any one have any experience selling phones? I generally want to avoid Craigslist and Ebay. Think I might put something on here or try CEX.

Buy on Amazon and make sure they are Benson Leung approved. I would suggest also making sure you buy USB 3.0+ cables to ensure better data transfer speeds.

Sell on Swappa.

Jeffrey

Is Samsung stuff proper USB c guidelines or more like most phones that do fake stuff?

Is it 3.1 speeds?

Will it get fast charge by USB c fast charge?

IronRaven

Still waiting for the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom that combines the Snapdragon 625 with a 5000mah battery. And the camera on it looks solid.

I just took a look at the website for that phone. It looks an awful lot like an iPhone 7, but just slightly different and it has a headphone jack. I love it.

Top Bottom