• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

FYI for any other Gear S3 owners who had their battery turn to shit after the latest update, a reset seems to work wonders. My watch dies in less than 12 hours yesterday with minimal use. Today it's only lost 11% over 14 hours or so.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/13/need-moto-snapdragon-625-cookin/

Dang knew the moto z play was a beast in battery, but the G5 is great too!

I mean the battery is only like 15% smaller so it makes sense.

625 is light years better than all of the other previous 6XX and 4XX phones like the 617/430/410 ect...

The processor node allowing for an upclock helps a metric fuck ton with performance while the smaller node is $$$ for battery.

The only thing shaky is the gpu isn't nearly as good as the cpu.

NeOak

625 is light years better than all of the other previous 6XX and 4XX phones like the 617/430/410 ect...

The processor node allowing for an upclock helps a metric fuck ton with performance while the smaller node is $$$ for battery.

So should I wait for the KEYuno instead of the S8 for battery life?

:thinking:

Menaged

7.1.2 available for me.
I'll do a factory reset after the update.
Do you guys recommend restoring the apps after the update or start wit a clean slate?

Ty4on

I'm skeptical performance will be that much better. 2Ghz A53 is still 2Ghz A53. Maybe sustained, but that was never the A53's downside unless you're running something really threaded.
I couldn't resist, the iPhone SE always seemed like the iPhone I'd want to dip my toes in the water with. It was only $227 for the 32GB after tax including one month of service. It'll be my work phone and see how it does.
Inb4 it makes the S8 feel painfully slow :p

I'm guessing size will make the most difference. Even I feel like the SE is small.

Hasney

Ugly? I really like the look at least it's using that wasted space in the recents menu

I've got a big gap at the top of my homescreen that I can't use where the Google bar used to be. Everything was straight before, now I have an offset G logo to the left and a date in the top right I can't get rid of, even when I have a date elsewhere on the homescreen where I want it. Prefer the outline buttons instead of the white ones too.

IronRaven

After using Android Pay for a vending machine, I'm finally convinced that mobile payments are the future. Or at the very least, should be the future.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Urgh need something ios lol.

Still no a10 iPad and new iPhone is still half a year away.

Maybe I should snag a SE as well?
You definitely should. Only $200. Best phone deal today.

oneplus still killin em (on the android side)
6I9eABU.jpg

Jeffrey

that iPhone time lololol
They will always win this stuff lol.

Regardless at least for me, I still generally get things done quite a bit quicker on Android for my needs thanks to quicker animation, back button, splitscreen etc.

Don't really play 3d games or render videos lol.

reKon

Banned
They will always win this stuff lol.

Regardless at least for me, I still generally get things done quite a bit quicker on Android for my needs thanks to quicker animation, back button, splitscreen etc.

Don't really play 3d games or render videos lol.

Yeah my past few flagships have had excellent performance because I choose well and don't really fuck with carrier shit anymore. I can't put up with iOS's limiting software and it doesn't play nice with certain google apps that I need fully functional like Google Photos.

reKon

Banned
The S8 is only 4 mm less wide than my phone. It's crazy how I can still tell that it's smaller than my phone. It's not even that much wider. No wonder people say the S8 is so "small". This is how you design phones. To top it off, they still have the triple tap make the screen smaller. Then can resize it to where you would like the smaller screen size to be. No excuse for Company's making these big phones to have this.

I wonder how long we will have to wait until we start seeing "Bezel-less" smartphones that offer smaller screen sizes (IE 5", 5.2", or 5.5"). Having handled the S8 a few times in Best Buy I don't think I'd be able to use one as my daily driver and that probably means I may not end up getting the new iPhone 8. It's obviously a lot smaller than what phones with similar screen sizes have felt like in the past, but I have come to realize I cannot reach most of the display using only one hand and I also can't pull down the notification shade with one hand.

I hope if the Pixel 2 goes bezel-less Google offers a more approachable smaller size rather than being like Samsung and doing 5.8" and 6.2" models. Although, I imagine that probably has to do with how much you can fit into the device so maybe it won't happen due to restrictive reasons.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One thing I dislike about having Apple stuff again is that I miss being able to just use my stuff. I feel like a chump when I use my Apple Watch, iPhone 7+, and Airpods all together. It's ridiculous. With Android, I can just use it. Now with all my Apple stuff, it just feels ridiculous and "look at me."

Jeffrey

I wonder how long we will have to wait until we start seeing "Bezel-less" smartphones that offer smaller screen sizes (IE 5", 5.2", or 5.5"). Having handled the S8 a few times in Best Buy I don't think I'd be able to use one as my daily driver and that probably means I may not end up getting the new iPhone 8. It's obviously a lot smaller than what phones with similar screen sizes have felt like in the past, but I have come to realize I cannot reach most of the display using only one hand and I also can't pull down the notification shade with one hand.

I hope if the Pixel 2 goes bezel-less Google offers a more approachable smaller size rather than being like Samsung and doing 5.8" and 6.2" models. Although, I imagine that probably has to do with how much you can fit into the device so maybe it won't happen due to restrictive reasons.

eh... even a pixel or iphone not plus isn't too easy to 1 hand. you need to go SE or smaller.

just gave up on that dream years ago. I still have 2 arms so its fine.

One thing I dislike about having Apple stuff again is that I miss being able to just use my stuff. I feel like a chump when I use my Apple Watch, iPhone 7+, and Airpods all together. It's ridiculous. With Android, I can just use it. Now with all my Apple stuff, it just feels ridiculous and "look at me."

?

i mean you can always use an android watch (kinda) or other bluetooth earbuds.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

This is true. I would much prefer to use my Huawei watch and my headphones without looking for an adapter. Feels very constricted.

Top Bottom