• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is true. I would much prefer to use my Huawei watch and my headphones without looking for an adapter. Feels very constricted.
I guess I meant I don't like looking like a brand whore with all the Apple stuff. I prefer using all the Apple hardware together. But it just seems like I'm some kind of Apple nut.

I used my Android Wear watch with my iPhone and while it worked ok, it's not as good. For obvious reasons.

Majine

Banned
It sucks that stock Android phones are endangered. The Pixel is not even available in my country, and they removed Nexus 6P when Pixel got launched.

I wish companies like Samsung and LG would give it as an option.

Like, do they really think people associate their bad skins with their brand? "Oh that's an LG! It's their homescreen!" Fuck no.

Only Apple has that pull. Give it up and give us what we want.

I guess I meant I don't like looking like a brand whore with all the Apple stuff. I prefer using all the Apple hardware together. But it just seems like I'm some kind of Apple nut.

I used my Android Wear watch with my iPhone and while it worked ok, it's not as good. For obvious reasons.
these days NOT using apple products is what makes people look like they're trying too hard lol

When I see someone with an android wear watch it stands out way more than someone with an apple watch. Apple is mainstream. I'd feel weirder being decked out in android gear, but don't think anyone would notice.

Also re: pixel 2. Kind of funny that there's no real leak yet. Only codenames and that's about it.

reKon

Banned
So last week I went t a T-Mobile store and played around with an S8 for the first time. Obviously impressive hardware, but I wanted to see how it actually felt because a few of you were saying there was still "TouchWiz jank".

Well when I was using it, I found none of that at all. It felt just as fast as my phone, which is great because the Snapdragon 820 felt a step behind. So, it's constantly puzzling when I hear this talk from people here saying that they see dropped frames and it's generally janky. Not sure what conditions the version they were using were in, but that's NOT the impression I got at all.

I can tell when a phone is smooth and fast. There was once when I posted that the HTC M8 was honestly the most responsive, fastest phone that I had ever used at the time. I had no desire for it at all. That was just my experience. Low and behold I see an Ars Tehnica article a month later that validates my experience. Anyways after playing around with the S8:

I also ran geekbench just because:

HeOo4ra.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No jank for first couple months. See me again after the initial release.

It's like clockwork.

these days NOT using apple products is what makes people look like they're trying too hard lol

When I see someone with an android wear watch it stands out way more than someone with an apple watch. Apple is mainstream. I'd feel weirder being decked out in android gear, but don't think anyone would notice.

Also re: pixel 2. Kind of funny that there's no real leak yet. Only codenames and that's about it.
Indeed.

Nobody blinks twice at an iWatch, but at least once a week someone asks me about my Huawei Watch.

NeOak

One thing I dislike about having Apple stuff again is that I miss being able to just use my stuff. I feel like a chump when I use my Apple Watch, iPhone 7+, and Airpods all together. It's ridiculous. With Android, I can just use it. Now with all my Apple stuff, it just feels ridiculous and "look at me."

It sucks that stock Android phones are endangered. The Pixel is not even available in my country, and they removed Nexus 6P when Pixel got launched.

I wish companies like Samsung and LG would give it as an option.

Like, do they really think people associate their bad skins with their brand? "Oh that's an LG! It's their homescreen!" Fuck no.

Only Apple has that pull. Give it up and give us what we want.

I mean, someone at work with a Galaxy S5 said "You and your fancy Microsoft phone" when referring to my Lumia 950 as in reverence. I was surprised.

IronRaven

As someone who lives in the Silicon Valley, I feel like the outcast sometimes when I look at my classmates with iPhones. A lot of them have iPhones and lot of them almost look down on me for having an Android device.

I was in a group for a project and literally everyone in that group except me had an iPhone. Most kind of gave me shit for it. :/

Gattsu25

Banned
Been using Pocket Casts for years but I'd like a second podcast app just for a user/password restricted podcast feed. Shame that feature's not supported in Pocket Casts since I love everything else about that app but...

What podcast apps do you guys use that supports username and password protected podcast feeds?

Bboy AJ

Been using Pocket Casts for years but I'd like a second podcast app just for a user/password restricted podcast feed. Shame that feature's not supported in Pocket Casts since I love everything else about that app but...

What podcast apps do you guys use that supports username and password protected podcast feeds?
I use Pocket Casts for password feeds. I just add username:password@ before the feed URL.

Bboy AJ

https://media.giphy.com/media/xHX546S4pQBPy/giphy.gif[/IM]

Okay, that totally works with this feed (last time I tried it was with GiantBomb and it didn't work). Thanks AJ![/QUOTE]
The feeds I use that trick for are GiantBomb. Sure it doesn't work for you?

Quasar

One thing I dislike about having Apple stuff again is that I miss being able to just use my stuff. I feel like a chump when I use my Apple Watch, iPhone 7+, and Airpods all together. It's ridiculous. With Android, I can just use it. Now with all my Apple stuff, it just feels ridiculous and "look at me."

I do hate the limitations apple puts on its gear because they think they know best and that their customers are children (or something).

Hasney

It begins.

Clownish company. Never has a GAF topic title been more appropriate.

Dat terrible thread title.

I was already redeemed at the Allo and Duo announcement, but Google continues it.

And while I was on the first page....

New plan of action

Gonna pass on Pixel C and wait for that Shield Tablet.

I prefer the smaller form factor, and in theory it should have the exact same innards.

Still waiting Vanilla almost a year later, or did you pull the trigger on something?

EmiPrime

Still waiting Vanilla almost a year later, or did you pull the trigger on something?

I'm not Vanilla but incoming Android tablet rant:

The new iPad is everything I wanted a 10" Nexus tablet to be in terms of performance and build to price. I held out for an Android tablet that didn't have an awful SOC and would get more than one update and just gave up. I am much more likely to get an iPhone this year now that I have an iPad.

I don't even like iOS as much as I like Android (are notifications really that hard to get right?) but given Google aren't interested in making tablets any more and have ceded the mid-range to Apple of all companies (WTF) I feel like I am not being catered to any longer.

Hasney

The new iPad is everything I wanted a 10" Nexus tablet to be in terms of performance and build to price. I held out for an Android tablet that didn't have an awful SOC and would get more than one update and just gave up. I am much more likely to get an iPhone this year now that I have an iPad.

I don't even like iOS as much as I like Android (are notifications really that hard to get right?) but given Google aren't interested in making tablets any more and have ceded the mid-range to Apple of all companies (WTF) I feel like I am not being catered to any longer.

Other than the price since it's been out a while now, what's wrong with the Pixel C? Probably the best overall Android device I've ever owned.

Blackhead

Redarse
It begins.

Clownish company. Never has a GAF topic title been more appropriate.
What me most is that there is a UI solution that Google hasn't used. I kinda of understand that Google wants to compete against Facetime, Skype, Slack, VOIP etc and keep shuffling features and brands around. However the best solution then imo would be to create a contacts/messaging hub which can encapsulate all these different services

Re: Windows Phone

Re: WebOS

And of course, third-party Android apps:
It's not that hard...

If Google is serious about delivering a good messaging experience, but can't commit to one service, then they need to mandate a holistic messaging hub on all Android phones by default.

EmiPrime

Other than the price since it's been out a while now, what's wrong with the Pixel C? Probably the best overall Android device I've ever owned.

I don't have any first hand experience of it but my impression is that the Pixel C only became a good tablet after a few firmware updates and when Android N came about and by then it was about 8 months old and it seemed more prudent to wait for an update, which unfortunately has yet to materialise (ho ho). The Nvidia SOC was pretty average on release and I would want a tablet I buy to be good for at least 4 years.

And yeah, the price. Not helped by Google discontinuing the 32GB model in the UK.

If Google is serious about delivering a good messaging experience, but can't commit to one service, then they need to mandate a holistic messaging hub on all Android phones by default.

Never going to happen sadly. :(

Laekon

I've been an iPad and android user since the iPad 2 and use it more than any other device I own. Haven't even been slightly tempted by an android tablet. They continue to function well for years and you can get current models on sale through the refurb store or last year at Best Buy just months after launch. I see no reason to get an iPhone though. And I do almost hate the keyboard for some reason.

Quixzlizx

Can I block Hangouts from getting updated? I've never done that before with a mobile app, but I really don't want to have to text from two separate apps.

Doesn't Google understand that people want something imessage-like?

longdi

Banned
No jank for first couple months. See me again after the initial release.

It's like clockwork.

I dont get this meme, do Samsung phones really get slower after a few months?
Does not make sense to me. The OS fragmentation, wont that be Google's problem? User installing too much jank apps themselves?

reKon

Banned
I dont get this meme, do Samsung phones really get slower after a few months?
Does not make sense to me. The OS fragmentation, wont that be Google's problem? User installing too much jank apps themselves?

There could be some truth to it. I think it honestly depends on what people do with their phone. I typically factory reset after major updates and I never have my storage filled past 70% capacity (I have 20+ games installed). I also restart my phone at least once a week. Some maybe the jank comes to those who do everything the opposite of what I do. I have no idea. I've seen my friends S6 though and he never trys to maintain the phone. It seemed like it was fine in performance.

Paganmoon

Any way to see how long discounted prices last on Google Store? I see Deus Ex Go is 10 SEK right now, but I can't buy it, cause I haven't gotten my phone yet, still 3 days away, and it seems the store requires a device connected to your account, before allowing purchase.

Or is there anyway to bypass that and buy apps anyway?

NeOak

What me most is that there is a UI solution that Google hasn't used. I kinda of understand that Google wants to compete against Facetime, Skype, Slack, VOIP etc and keep shuffling features and brands around. However the best solution then imo would be to create a contacts/messaging hub which can encapsulate all these different services

Re: Windows Phone

Re: WebOS

And of course, third-party Android apps:

It's not that hard...

Contact management in WP is so much better. Doing anything on Android feels like I'm doing contact management in the built in Windows 95 address book compared to Outlook 2016.

TTOOLL

With the S8 on the corner and as a S7 owner I ask myself why is Samsung fragmenting its own ecosystem?

It's kind of frustrating having and excellent phone but not being graced with the latest software. Why differentiating your own flagships?

I would understand if the A line had one software style and the S line another, but inside the same line? Bullshit. Apple does it right, it values its user base more when you know your iPhone 6 has the same software as the iPhone 7.

My S7 was my first Samsung phone and probably my last.

NeOak

With the S8 on the corner and as a S7 owner I ask myself why is Samsung fragmenting its own ecosystem?

It's kind of frustrating having and excellent phone but not being graced with the latest software. Why differentiating your own flagships?

I would understand if the A line had one software style and the S line another, but inside the same line? Bullshit. Apple does it right, it values its user base more when you know your iPhone 6 has the same software as the iPhone 7.

My S7 was my first Samsung phone and probably my last.

Welcome to Android. Every OEM does it except for Nexus/Pixel phones because Google manages the updates for those.

TTOOLL

Welcome to Android. Every OEM does it except for Nexus/Pixel phones because Google manages the updates for those.

I know, that's not what I'm saying. As far as I know thw S8 will come with Android 7.0, the same as my S7. It looks totally different from mine though. The UI is different because reasons.

It's fragmentation inside fragmentation. We don't need to go deeper.

You mentioned Google but I believe One Plus also does it for its devices, I believe they have the same UI.

Laekon

Ah Google Assistant and Pixel launcher want a word with you. Sure they pushed out assistant but they still used it as a differentiator at the start.

That tends to happen when the only things OEM's are concerned about after you buy your phone is how they are going to get you to buy the next one. It's just one of the reasons I have come to prefer Apple. It feels like the only thing Apple is concerned with one you buy an iPhone is keeping you happy and wanting to stay in the iOS ecosystem.

TTOOLL

That tends to happen when the only things OEM's are concerned about after you buy your phone is how they are going to get you to buy the next one. It's just one of the reasons I have come to prefer Apple. It feels like the only thing Apple is concerned with one you buy an iPhone is keeping you happy and wanting to stay in the iOS ecosystem.

They should look at Apple and see that people don't buy a new phone because it has a new launcher.

Jeffrey

I know, that's not what I'm saying. As far as I know thw S8 will come with Android 7.0, the same as my S7. It looks totally different from mine though. The UI is different because reasons.

You mentioned Google but I believe One Plus also does it for its devices, I believe they have the same UI.

Idk besides the launcher (which you can easily flash on) the general design of 7.0 looks similar for all Samsung stuff.

Google literally did this with the Pixel.

Jeffrey

I don't blame companies though. Aosp is smooth but looks like shit. Makes sense for every company to try to make it not look like shit.

Some are more successful than others.

Con_Smith

Banned
Went mid range budget for the Honor 8 but I miss a legit Android experience and better supported rooting scene. Since I'm getting a new job with better pay figure I'd go for a premium to hold me over the next few updates post Nougat.

Debating getting a Pixel XL based on a co-workers experience with the phone and how nice it looks, but it sounds like Pixel 2 could be coming soon.

HTC has been a wash the last few phones but I miss how great the M series was and like some of the features they push even if they are half baked or undersupported.

Been looking at Samsung but I hate how shit the OS tends to be after a few months.

Never really a fan of LG.

Should I just stick it out for a few months until a few more releases are out of should I jump for the S8 or XL? These are the two biggest phones in my sight at the moment but would love suggestions.

IronRaven

Went mid range budget for the Honor 8 but I miss a legit Android experience and better supported rooting scene. Since I'm getting a new job with better pay figure I'd go for a premium to hold me over the next few updates post Nougat.

Debating getting a Pixel XL based on a co-workers experience with the phone and how nice it looks, but it sounds like Pixel 2 could be coming soon.

HTC has been a wash the last few phones but I miss how great the M series was and like some of the features they push even if they are half baked or undersupported.

Been looking at Samsung but I hate how shit the OS tends to be after a few months.

Never really a fan of LG.

Should I just stick it out for a few months until a few more releases are out of should I jump for the S8 or XL? These are the two biggest phones in my sight at the moment but would love suggestions.

If you really enjoy the stock Android experience and you really want a phone right now, the Pixel XL is a solid choice. You could also get the HTC 10 even though it is an older phone. It's got a pretty decent camera, near stock Android, and pretty good build quality.

If you're really looking at getting the S8, I would recommend you to wait and see what all the reviews say. Sure it's shaping up to be a great phone, but you never know what issues may come up.

If you don't mind waiting even longer, you could just wait for the Pixel 2 and see if it's worth it to you.

Jeffrey

Sultan lineage OS is on 7.1.1 now so op3t is a solid option for stock android options.

It's still kind of crazy that OnePlus is still the only 6gb ram phone option in the US. I was expecting some other options by now. ASUS has a 8gb ram phone soon I think, but no date yet?

Mindwipe

Yeah, that's true, but the pixel was the first of its family. Now if they bring the pixel 2 with software to differentiate from the pixel 1 that will be the same as Samsung.

The Pixel-C launcher was completely different to the Pixel until last week. And the C still doesn't have assistant and has no sign of getting it.

Not that it really matters in a world with launchers and icon packs.

Con_Smith

Banned
If you really enjoy the stock Android experience and you really want a phone right now, the Pixel XL is a solid choice. You could also get the HTC 10 even though it is an older phone. It's got a pretty decent camera, near stock Android, and pretty good build quality.

If you're really looking at getting the S8, I would recommend you to wait and see what all the reviews say. Sure it's shaping up to be a great phone, but you never know what issues may come up.

If you don't mind waiting even longer, you could just wait for the Pixel 2 and see if it's worth it to you.

I think the XL has an it blaster but does the s8or 10 have one. Also does the XL do expandable storage?

whats everyone s thoughts on Drupe? the version of android that i use is ZUI stock

so just trying to figure out a solid list of replacement apps

would also be nice to save all my contacts just localy rather than have google force me to save them to a Gmail account every time !

not a Fan of data mining at all but not paranoid and No tin foil hats for me

ty_hot

Sultan lineage OS is on 7.1.1 now so op3t is a solid option for stock android options.

It's still kind of crazy that OnePlus is still the only 6gb ram phone option in the US. I was expecting some other options by now. ASUS has a 8gb ram phone soon I think, but no date yet?
Is it running super smooth and bug free? I tried 2 months ago, it wasn't great, camera was super buggy (front camera specially). And I came back to use Android Pay which works only on official roms (it work on custom ones too, but need some more hacking which I wasnt comfortable in doing to use a bank feature). Funny thing, I never used android pay after that.

And the best feature from OP3T that noone talks about is thr notification slider. It is so easy and fast to change, I feel like all phones should have this.

Is it running super smooth and bug free? I tried 2 months ago, it wasn't great, camera was super buggy (front camera specially). And I came back to use Android Pay which works only on official roms (it work on custom ones too, but need some more hacking which I wasnt comfortable in doing to use a bank feature). Funny thing, I never used android pay after that.

And the best feature from OP3T that noone talks about is thr notification slider. It is so easy and fast to change, I feel like all phones should have this.

I don't like it because it makes it impossible to set up a DND schedule.

IronRaven

I think the XL has an it blaster but does the s8or 10 have one. Also does the XL do expandable storage?

I don't think any of those phones have an IR blaster. The Pixel XL does not have expandable storage, BUT it does/should comes with unlimited cloud storage for photos and videos.

Zenphone 3 Deluxe has 6GB of RAM. It's sold in the USA with proper warranty.

Top Bottom