• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

ukas

The 808 on the 5x is considerably faster than the 617. The 617 is all A53 cores. The 5x has four A53 cores and much faster A57 cores.

The S7 has super fast storage so it's no surprise that it trounced the OP3.

What's surprising is how quickly the OP3 dumps apps off memory.

I thought that was the case with the 5X. Thanks for the info.

The 808 on the 5x is considerably faster than the 617. The 617 is all A53 cores. The 5x has four A53 cores and much faster A57 cores.

The S7 has super fast storage so it's no surprise that it trounced the OP3.

What's surprising is how quickly the OP3 dumps apps off memory.

How is the 653 in that regard?

Noema

Benchmarks I've seen peg it as faster than the 808 as well as more energy efficient. It keeps the little. BIG cluster arquitecture but uses faster and cooler A72 cores instead of the A57s.

It's the high midrange we deserve.

An SD652 powered 2016 Nexus 5x with 3GB of RAM would be delicious.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You mean the 652?

Cores are newer, but they seem to have a lower clock ceiling which for some single threaded stuff means less performance.

So probably better multicore but potentially worse single core due to clock speed.

I think the 510 GPU vs 418 is a wash.

That being said ffs Qualcomm's naming scheme is fucking terrible.

Ty4on

Benchmarks I've seen peg it as faster than the 808 as well as more energy efficient. It keeps the little. BIG cluster arquitecture but uses faster and cooler A72 cores instead of the A57s.

It's the high midrange we deserve.

An SD652 powered 2016 Nexus 5x with 3GB of RAM would be delicious.
Yeah, they need a proper naming structure like:
Generation/Class/Smaller stuff

X86 CPU and GPU names are confusing for people new to them, but not that bad when you get used to it and it's usually trivial to find out what generation they are from the first number.
Right now Qualcomm has nothing to differentiate generations so they have to continuously increment numbers and the only line that makes some sense is the S8XX line.

-------------

Isn't the Snapdragon 65WHATEVER 28nm though? It might still beat the 808, but it sucks when we could have gotten bigger power efficiency gains on 14nm. A 410 successor on 14nm could terrifyingly efficient, but it seems like low end SKUs will stay 28nm for a while.

Noema

PEI4mhm.jpg

What's even the fucking point of having 6GB of RAM if you're gonna dump processes faster than a phone with half the memory.

Put in a larger battery you goons instead of fucking killing background processes when you've got so much memory to spare. Specially since this is a phone for nerds who'll of course obsess over these things.

If I had a OP3 I'd flash Cyanogenmod as soon as I got it out of the box. I wouldn't even boot to Oxygen.

EDIT: Someone figured out a Fix

clav

Straight Talk is always an option. I'm looking at GoPhone for my Nexus 6

edit
If you're in the states, that is

You should probably look at Cricket. I'd prefer them over ST.

I'll miss out on Google integration. Managing phone calls + texts + bogus call filtering without additional software (and not with Hangouts either).

Services are phone agnostic, too, aside from getting the phone into the system.

Groof

i keep forgetting you can double tap the recents key to switch between apps but whenever i do use it, it feels soo goooood

Saiyan-Rox

PEI4mhm.jpg

What's even the fucking point of having 6GB of RAM if you're gonna dump processes faster than a phone with half the memory.

Put in a larger battery you goons instead of fucking killing background processes when you've got so much memory to spare. Specially since this is a phone for nerds who'll of course obsess over these things.

If I had a OP3 I'd flash Cyanogenmod as soon as I got it out of the box. I wouldn't even boot to Oxygen.

EDIT: Someone figured out a Fix

Yeah I'm gonna flash Paranoid Android the moment I get it tbh hope Android Pay works on it as I don't intend to root.

Tbh I do like Oxygen OS though it's just not that great stable wise and from the old PA team swell....but looking at it only the least valuable members of PA were hired by OP

linkboy

You should probably look at Cricket. I'd prefer them over ST.

I'll miss out on Google integration. Managing phone calls + texts + bogus call filtering without additional software (and not with Hangouts either).

Services are phone agnostic, too, aside from getting the phone into the system.

I had Cricket, only reason I dropped them is because, even though they're owned by AT&T, they don't roam.

I drove from California to South Dakota and had no cell service at all from Reno to the Utah border and from just outside Park City to Casper.

Quasar

PEI4mhm.jpg

I assumed for single apps that actually use lots of memory. Does android limit the amount of RAM an app can use?

What is with the banning on this place? Lol.

Im actually happy after a ban. I don't revisit as much so I'm more productive.

Speaking of that I have a perma ban with the verge for calling out authors for their bullshit. Thank God. I should not have been giving that site hits anyway.

this_guy

I had Cricket, only reason I dropped them is because, even though they're owned by AT&T, they don't roam.

I drove from California to South Dakota and had no cell service at all from Reno to the Utah border and from just outside Park City to Casper.

I don't think AT&T prepaid (GoPhone) roams either.

Speaking of that I have a perma ban with the verge for calling out authors for their bullshit. Thank God. I should not have been giving that site hits anyway.

Theverge sucks - something we agree on. Possibly something all of AndroidGaf can agree on? Does such a thing exist?

Saiyan-Rox

from experiences of my own it's usually a personal thing from the admin's on here (apart from the first time lol)

Saiyan-Rox

For shits and giggles I tried to use hangouts for a bit again for SMS but noticed that it doesn't have my contacts names and just their numbers :S

that along with the big "Use Messenger" banner really shows Goog doesn't want you using Hangouts lol

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA

While T-Mobile, ATT and the rest of the world is pretty much GSM.

That being said, fuck sprint and Verizon.

Ok thanks. It was frustrating looking at all of these cool phones online and then seeing that Verizon doesn't support any of them. I'm especially sad I can't use the Sony Z5 Compact. :(

clav

Ah didn't know that.

Can someone ELI5 why US Verizon isn't compatible with most phones? Is it their different network technology?

Verizon and Sprint have a whitelist of what phones can be used on their networks. Sprint also has specific bands that no other carrier uses for LTE. Sometimes you see cases that you can use Verizon phones overseas on GSM networks since that phone supports some worldwide used frequencies.

Both companies brand their handsets to reduce the costs to customers of phone offerings by neutering the number of radio frequencies that work with their networks. For instance, Sprint's LG G5 only works with Sprint networks because it only has LTE bands that work on frequency 25, 26, and 41. If you try to use the other phone on a different network, phone can only use 1-2 supported bands on 2G/3G/4G with limited support. No guarantees though. From my research, Samsung phones have the most supported bands on contracted branded phones.

Only contracted phone that is immune to this practice is the iPhone as Apple includes worldwide support although there are a few nuances between the carrier versions. iPhone SE makes the situation a little bit worse, but generally the main flagship iPhones can work cross network.

For Android, Nexus + Moto X Pure/Play include worldwide radio support although there are differences of the ones sold in Asia vs. USA as the international version supports a few different LTE bands that are not used in the Americas.

That's why I mentioned earlier how come these companies can't make BYOD easier. Nexus phones have supported bands but it takes at least a couple of weeks or even a month to add those phones to the system. I suppose the confusion of an International Nexus 5X vs. USA 5X can cause a delay like on Sprint since the international version is incompatible.

What is the easiest way of creating audio/voice reminders on Android? Like I drive and want to create reminder to mail my boss later in the evening or something.

clav

What is the easiest way of creating audio/voice reminders on Android? Like I drive and want to create reminder to mail my boss later in the evening or something.

Tap Google Now and say, "remind me to ____ at _____"

If you forget to say at, Google will ask at a place or a time. You can also fill out the prompt. I find place is rather unreliable, so I always put down a time.

Hey, if anyone is looking for a deal on a Motorola X Pure Edition(32GB with little to no additional upgrades) and a Moto 360 Sport(I know there aren't many people looking) I can buy it at a discount and have it sent to you. You customize it and everything. Combined they retail for $550 but I can get it for $350. Just hit me up. I have positive feedback on here and you can use PayPal without FF if you want to pay the fees. Otherwise, it's PayPal FF.

Moto X Pure Edition

Moto 360 Sport

Saiyan-Rox

So apparently you can't use the OP3 Dash charge if you load custom OS.....they failed to tell us that little bit of information.

Not that it's as bad as having software that can't use the fingerprint scanner (OP2 days) but still kinda shit

So apparently you can't use the OP3 Dash charge if you load custom OS.....they failed to tell us that little bit of information.

Not that it's as bad as having software that can't use the fingerprint scanner (OP2 days) but still kinda shit

i think by default everyone should assume that things wont work as they should if you modify phone from original status. some time that is good some time that is bad. I do not think manufacture can cover every point but there is some instructions.

Are there already issue with phones software?

Saiyan-Rox

i think by default everyone should assume that things wont work as they should if you modify phone from original status. some time that is good some time that is bad. I do not think manufacture can cover every point but there is some instructions.

Are there already issue with phones software?

Something like fast charge shouldn't though.

From what I hear the ram management is quite bad but apparently that was to save battery which is weird...."here;s 6gb RAM but we're limiting the software so you can't use it all"

Something like fast charge shouldn't though.

From what I hear the ram management is quite bad but apparently that was to save battery which is weird...."here;s 6gb RAM but we're limiting the software so you can't use it all"

ya that was odd. fix was issued i think already with root so that is good.

I'm having a really Android problem.

For a couple of days now, my phone has a weird lag on the lock screen. I wake the phone up and for 80% of the time it takes several seconds until the lock screen becomes responsive. It's really, really annoying. I can't really figure out which app is causing this behavior and it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas what it might be or how I could figure it out?

Futureman

I've had an iPhone for 2 years now.

If I get an S7 and I use Google Voice and integrate it with Hangouts.... What does that mean for my friends who use iMessage? I can still group message with them? Or no?

I'm having a really Android problem.

For a couple of days now, my phone has a weird lag on the lock screen. I wake the phone up and for 80% of the time it takes several seconds until the lock screen becomes responsive. It's really, really annoying. I can't really figure out which app is causing this behavior and it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas what it might be or how I could figure it out?

It is phone problem not android problem. Which phone? Have you modified your phone? New lock screen?

Asgaro

To those using a password manager: which one do you use?

I did some reading up and arrived on 2 favourites: LastPass and SafeInCloud.

Already used LastPass in the past, until about 4 years ago, then I stopped for reasons I can't remember. Probably temporary bugs within the browser extension.
(I actually remembered my master password thanks to the hint. Funny to see old sites I was into, like http://www.darkthrone.com/ )

My requirements were:
- Android client
- desktop: Chrome extension with good reviews
(Enpass didn't pass this)
- decent price
(1Password is a hefty one-time purchase they say, which seems a great deal. But they can charge for major upgrades. So pass.
Dashlane has a too high subscription fee.)

LastPass is 12 bucks a year. Which is decent.

Eventually I chose SafeInCloud because it's even less expensive than LastPass and checks all my requirements.
The desktop part is completely free. The Android client is only 5 bucks and is a one-time purchase!
It's relatively new but I've seen it recommended on for example Android Police.

Another advantage compared to LastPass: your data gets stored on a cloud of your choice (Dropbox, Drive, ...). Not on a central system of the company.

Also has a desktop client.

linkboy

I don't think AT&T prepaid (GoPhone) roams either.

It does and doesn't, it depends on where you're at. It's not up to standard AT&T.

I've had GoPhone in the past and had no issues with it.

I ended up making the switch on Friday. I'm actually getting service at my apartment now (Verizon would go dead the minute I went inside). I'm also paying $55 a month for 6GB as opposed to the $80 I was paying with Verizon.

Another plus with GoPhone is that unused data rolls over.

Asgaro, I use safeincloud as well, totally love it.

Top Bottom