• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hasney

They really should have not bothered with that 6GB since they're not using it and increased the screen quality OR customer service.... Really, that last one more than anything. Hopefully everyon who's buying one knows they're as good as fucked if anything goes wrong. There's already been issues in this thread just ordering an OP3.

Halcyon

Anybody give me an opinion:

Looking to replace my first gen moto g.

I want to spend no more than 400 dollars. I'm looking at the Moto g4 plus but I'm wondering if I should get the older Nexus 5x or find a 6p on sale.

Is there some other unlocked phone that would be a better value than the g4 plus? Camera being a focus this time around since the first gen moto g is garbage.

I want to spend no more than 400 dollars. I'm looking at the Moto g4 plus but I'm wondering if I should get the older Nexus 5x or find a 6p on sale.

Is there some other unlocked phone that would be a better value than the g4 plus? Camera being a focus this time around since the first gen moto g is garbage.

You can get an unlocked LG G4 for around $300 on Amazon. Also Nextbit Robin is an option. It's about $400 and on sale for $300 sometimes.

Saiyan-Rox

They really should have not bothered with that 6GB since they're not using it and increased the screen quality OR customer service.... Really, that last one more than anything. Hopefully everyon who's buying one knows they're as good as fucked if anything goes wrong. There's already been issues in this thread just ordering an OP3.

Custom ROMS should be able to unlock it but of course that means you'll loose dash charging....

I'll admit i'm not as hyped for it as I was when I first ordered the phone last week cause of all this stuff that's coming out and isn't been spoken about by complete fanboi pos. but i'll give it a fair judgement of my own trying out OOS for a bit then jumping too CM or Paranoid for a while afterwords to give it a proper go. if all else fails i'm sure i can sell it for the value I bought it as as there are impatient people out there.

the screen thing isn't worrying me too much I mean people complained about the N6 screen and I never noticed an issue at all for the year I owned it :S. The RAM thing is insanely stupid though I mean really fucking stupid.

Noema

32GB Nexus 5X for $300

Indeed, I'm member 4k something on the forums so a very early adopter that got the OPO. But then I got vocal in the forums and seemingly didn't get a two invite. No big loss tbh, was rocking a G4 then a Z3+. But I thought given the new 820 I'd see how it was.... got my loop headset,(now sitting beside my OP drone) tried ordering that night and payment failed. Reordered money gone from my account and they claim order now not complete.

Have ordered a Mi5 Pro in white, will flash CM13 on arrival

kharma45

Anandtech destroyed OP3's display, it essentially says it's an high end screen from 2010.
It doesn't have a single redeeming factor lol

I'm not surprised. All the advances now are being made on 1440p displays. As soon as it was announced to be again 1080p you could tell that's where massive costs were being cut.

Is the g4 gonna be a better camera? Ive heard good things.

Yes, battery is shit though.

Quasar

Just got done enabling 2FA on all applicable (to my knowledge) services I use, using Authy.
Total of 15 services.

Major service that isn't using 2FA yet, at least not worldwide: PayPal. Pretty crazy...

Annoyingly its sms only. But then so is the 2fa Apple uses.

Of course the most annoying is how banks dont use any (at least not any Australian banks I'm aware of). Hell many still have small fixed length passwords.

Isnt psn supposed to get 2fa soon?

Quasar

I'm not surprised. All the advances now are being made on 1440p displays. As soon as it was announced to be again 1080p you could tell that's where massive costs were being cut.

Which is fine with me. Not everyone needs super hires screens. About the only reason I'd really need it is for vr. Otherwise frankly I'm happy enough with 720p.

Jigolo

pDph399.jpg

kbseJuK.jpg

Love this feature. Split view on tablets is gonna be slick

Jzero

I'm getting decent battery life. However I've gotten a couple of instances of the phone just staying awake for no apparent reason and only a hard reboot fixes it.
I still have to charge my phone at least twice a day though unfortunately.

Noema

I still have to charge my phone at least twice a day though unfortunately.

Idle battery drain is still the worst part of the Android way of life.

It's telling that for the third year in a row Google has wrestled with this issue and gotten barely any improvements. Volta was a joke and Doze works under such weirdly esoteric and specific conditions it barely qualifies as a feature.

If the N preview is any indication, we're in for another year of "oh Google play services just drained 25%of my battery while the phone was in my pocket and it feels like I just put a hot poptart in my pants."

Idle battery drain is still the worst part of the Android way of life.

It's telling that for the third year in a row Google has wrestled with this issue and gotten barely any improvements. Volta was a joke and Doze works under such weirdly esoteric and specific conditions it barely qualifies as a feature.

If the N preview is any indication, we're in for another year of "oh Google play services just drained 25%of my battery while the phone was in my pocket and it feels like I just put a hot poptart in my pants."

My 5x had great battery life up until 6.0.1. I was getting 3.5 hours minimum of screen time and it barely sipped battery during standby. It was the most impressive battery I had ever seen on Android. Unfortunately that all went out the window with 6.0.1 and then even worse with the March security update where performance was fixed. Now battery life on N with Project Fi is just a joke.

I would.like to hear how battery life is going for someone with the HTC 10 since it's close to stock and doesn't have the horribly inefficient 808/810.

While you're right, 1080p at 5" is still fine.

But a pentile 5.5" 1080p screen is absolute garbage. Not surprising that it's coming from OnePlus. I really, really don't understand how people can still buy their shit, much less pre-order it without any reviews out.

Hey, if anyone is looking for a deal on a Motorola X Pure Edition(64GB with little to no additional upgrades) and a Moto 360 Sport(I know there aren't many people looking) I can buy it at a discount and have it sent to you. You customize it and everything. Combined they retail for $600 but I can get it for $300. Just hit me up. I have positive feedback on here and you can use PayPal without FF if you want to pay the fees. Otherwise, it's PayPal FF.

Moto X Pure Edition

Moto 360 Sport

Updated the storage and price because Motorola is running a deal for $400 for this bundle which means I can do it for $300.

Noema

While you're right, 1080p at 5" is still fine.

But a pentile 5.5" 1080p screen is absolute garbage. Not surprising that it's coming from OnePlus. I really, really don't understand how people can still buy their shit, much less pre-order it without any reviews out.

Yeah. 1080p pentile displays are not really 1080p. Only green subpixels are effectively 1080p as stated in the Anandtech review.

Anandtech said:
With the OnePlus One and OnePlus 2 for comparison it's completely obvious that the OnePlus 3 has a lower effective resolution, with text exhibiting distracting artifacts, and solid patterns that are red, blue, or white having a crosshatch pattern that simply isn't visible on OnePlus's older smartphones.

In case anyone thinks this is an exageration, I was watching DetroitBorg's OP3 review and you can clearly see this crosshatching patterns in the video (which he uploads in 4K). Specifically look at the solid red and blue on the Chrome icon:

DX7P7J7.png

Here's an iPhone 6s Plus (which is also 5.5", but an IPS LCD), for reference,

A3EYIGM.png

#NeverSettle

Google posted the EOL times for the nexus devices. They won't be supported after these times:

Nexus 5X: September 2017
Nexus 6P: September 2017

Nexus 9: October 2016

Nexus 5: October 2015

Nexus 7 (2013): July 2015

Nexus 10: November 2014

Priz

I would.like to hear how battery life is going for someone with the HTC 10 since it's close to stock and doesn't have the horribly inefficient 808/810.
Took it off the charger about 1pm on Saturday and with somewhere between light and moderate usage on Sat/Sun ended up charging it on Sunday night even though I still had about 22% battery left as I don't have a USB-C charging cable at work. Checked on it with the stock charger maybe 20-30 minutes later and I was at 67%...

So far been happy with the battery life and the charging speeds when it's getting low and I use my QC3.0 car charger or wall one. The 10 might not be the most exciting phone to own, but it's stability and performance has made me happy with the purchase. Still wished they threw in a set of headphones in the package, though...

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah. 1080p pentile displays are not really 1080p. Only green subpixels are effectively 1080p as stated in the Anandtech review.

In case anyone thinks this is an exageration, I was watching DetroitBorg's OP3 review and you can clearly see this crosshatching patterns in the video (which he uploads in 4K). Specifically look at the solid red and blue on the Chrome icon:

DX7P7J7.png

A3EYIGM.png

#NeverSettle

MKBHD never mentioned any of this and he's normally all about the screens from what i've seen :S

Took it off the charger about 1pm on Saturday and with somewhere between light and moderate usage on Sat/Sun ended up charging it on Sunday night even though I still had about 22% battery left as I don't have a USB-C charging cable at work. Checked on it with the stock charger maybe 20-30 minutes later and I was at 67%...

So far been happy with the battery life and the charging speeds when it's getting low and I use my QC3.0 car charger or wall one. The 10 might not be the most exciting phone to own, but it's stability and performance has made me happy with the purchase. Still wished they threw in a set of headphones in the package, though...

Sounds like a solid phone all around. Nice.

The HTC 10 battery is legit. Great standby and 4.5 hours SoT.

When will we get a Nexus 8? The only numbered Nexus not represented 10 and under (if you consider Nexus S as 2 and GNEX as 3).

Jigolo

The HTC 10 battery is legit. Great standby and 4.5 hours SoT.

When will we get a Nexus 8? The only numbered Nexus not represented 10 and under (if you consider Nexus S as 2 and GNEX as 3).

8.5ish" tablet would be nice and probably an instabuy for me if it had A4 paper aspect ratio again, with the usual goods.

Furyous

Google posted the EOL times for the nexus devices. They won't be supported after these times:

Both of these came out last fall and this is utter bullshit. Nexus devices need a minimum of three years of support IMHO. Just in case anyone wonders why I am so picky about smartphones then they need to look at this information. Getting stuck with a device full of compromises after two years must feel awful.

this_guy

Just noticed the latest update to Opera Mini has a built in ad blocker. Unfortunately you can only use it when the data savings option is turned on (websites get compressed and run through Opera's servers before they reach your phone). Still it's a nice option to have and still my main browser.

Noema

MKBHD never mentioned any of this and he's normally all about the screens from what i've seen :S

He also called the display on the Nexus 6 "crazy good", "very bright" and "one of the best in any smartphone" and we know it's anything but.

He also loved the OP2 and never mentioned the ridiculous performance problems due to OP basically disabling the A57 cluster.

I like MKBHD and I enjoy his videos, but his 'reviews' are more like very pretty extended hands-on. They don't have any depth to them. And he, like most Youtube personalities, has a vested interest in keeping the companies that supply him with early review units happy. That doesn't mean he's a shill, but he has to be careful not to step on any toes.

The only YouTube reviewer who does any sort of in-depth analysis is Erika Griffin. I'm looking forward to what she has to say about the OP3's display, since it's also her area of speciality and she's really thorough.

Talon

Yeah, for what it's worth, he has the slickest produced videos on YouTube or any other site for product reviews.

Just take it for what it is. I still rely on Anand and Ars for real reviews.

HawkeyeIC

Nexus 9: October 2016

Nexus 5: October 2015

Nexus 7 (2013): July 2015

Nexus 10: November 2014

Won't be supported or no guarantee of support?

Pretty disappointing Google can't even make the effort to support their phones longer than two years while the iPhone 5 is going to be getting at least four years of updates when it receives iOS 10 later this year.

http://i.imgur.com/DX7P7J7.png

http://i.imgur.com/A3EYIGM.png

#NeverSettle

but at the very moment where he zooms in to show that he clearly says you can't even see it unless you bring it up right to your eye like with VR

wilflare

anyone getting this random notification "Account Action Required" on the 6P? I can't seem to clear it. The login doesn't work either

Top Bottom