• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Just factory reset the phone. If it still happens then it's the hardware. If it solves it then it was some typical android BS.

Simple dawg. Backup your stuff.

This isn't Windows and this bullshit shouldn't be necessary.

It would be the first hard reset since I got then phone as well. Upgraded from 4.3 all the way up to 6.0.

I'll try some other ways. Hard reset should be the last resort. This isn't Windows Phone/Mobile after all.

This isn't Windows and this bullshit shouldn't be necessary.

It would be the first hard reset since I got then phone as well. Upgraded from 4.3 all the way up to 6.0.

I'll try some other ways. Hard reset should be the last resort. This isn't Windows Phone/Mobile after all.
well I guess you can delete every single app one by 1 and see which one solves it if it's a consistent issue.

well I guess you can delete every single app one by 1 and see which one solves it if it's a consistent issue.

I honestly expect this issue to resolve itself over time. Much like battery draining by Google Play Service. It's just really annoying not being able to pin the issue down to one particular app or issue.

how much storage remaining on your phone

I have around 2 GB left, but I had much less space left and never encountered this particular issue. That said, I won't get another 16 GB phone (w/o expendable storage) again. My podcast backlog alone take almost 2 GB up.

Yeah in 2016, 16GB is rough. My work phone is a 16gb SE these days and my music alone takes up half the free space and just app caches and photos easily fill it up. And believe me I aint taken that many pics on my work phone lol. I hover around 700mb-1.2gb on there.

32GB with no expandable storage is my minimum going forward.

linkboy

Yeah in 2016, 16GB is rough. My work phone is a 16gb SE these days and my music alone takes up half the free space and just app caches and photos easily fill it up. And believe me I aint taken that many pics on my work phone lol. I hover around 700mb-1.2gb on there.

That's why I opted for the 64GB Nexus 6 when it dropped in price last August. I came from a 16GB Nexus 5, never again.

I have 2.02 GB of pictures, 850 MB of "other", 2.07 GB of Podcasts, 1.52 GB of Spotify and the rest is small time apps, like 282 MB Google Play Services, 227 MB Google App etc. I got less than 190 apps installed and activated, which sounds like a lot, but includes system apps as well, so it's basically nothing.

But even when my cache or "other" was full to the max, I still haven't had these issues.

Like I said, it's weird that this issue popped up so suddenly. I might switch back from Nova to the Google Now Launcher to see if it helps. because I sometimes get the same lag when I pull down the notification menu. But Nova hasn't been updated recently either.

It really seems like I'm on the verge of having to get a new phone and the S7 seems like the only logical decision for me, which I really don't want to do. But I have a vacation coming up in a month and being able to take good pictures would be nice. Stupid situation all around.

wilflare

To those using a password manager: which one do you use?

I did some reading up and arrived on 2 favourites: LastPass and SafeInCloud.

Already used LastPass in the past, until about 4 years ago, then I stopped for reasons I can't remember. Probably temporary bugs within the browser extension.
(I actually remembered my master password thanks to the hint. Funny to see old sites I was into, like http://www.darkthrone.com/ )

My requirements were:
- Android client
- desktop: Chrome extension with good reviews
(Enpass didn't pass this)
- decent price
(1Password is a hefty one-time purchase they say, which seems a great deal. But they can charge for major upgrades. So pass.
Dashlane has a too high subscription fee.)

LastPass is 12 bucks a year. Which is decent.

Eventually I chose SafeInCloud because it's even less expensive than LastPass and checks all my requirements.
The desktop part is completely free. The Android client is only 5 bucks and is a one-time purchase!
It's relatively new but I've seen it recommended on for example Android Police.

Another advantage compared to LastPass: your data gets stored on a cloud of your choice (Dropbox, Drive, ...). Not on a central system of the company.

Also has a desktop client.

I'm using LastPass - works well so far, haven't found a reason to change

Noema

Google Photos auto-backup is bugging out on me. It's not uploading several photos at all.

Same for me. Has been going on for a while now.

On a different topic, I've been running DP4 for 4 days now and it's much better than DP3. Snappier, more stable, less buggy. It's getting ready for prime time. Battery life is actually decent.

I don't like the new notifications. In Marshmallow and bellow if I get several whatsapp messages I can pull down on each notification and see all the messages in the conversation without having to open the app. In N, the notification will just show the last message and inform me that there are 'n' messages in the conversation but no way of reading them. It's less density of information and feels like a step backwards.

Sometimes the notification bundles messages if the other person types them fast enough but it'll show me last one only. It's annoying since sometimes I reply from the notification without realizing there were 2 or 3 previous messages that I missed.

wilflare

True. And auto stories. It's actually regressing in functionality. Such a Google thing to happen to it.

I'm getting this sense that Google is just making Photos worse with each update
(e.g. there used to be a tab for Collections on the side menu to see all the Auto-Awesome creations... now you have to tap search and scroll to collections to find all of them... I only found that after some googling :/)

Well, it's phone upgrade time for my family. Mother getting a Nexus 5X and my father will get my old Nexus 5 after I get something.

I'm really not sure about the OnePlus 3 after hearing that you can't use dash charge with custom ROMs. It is still very attractive at its price point, so I wonder if it's ever possible for custom rom developers to hack in dash charging. It's a kernel thing.

Either way, my choice is Nexus 5X at €300 or OnePlus 3 at €400.

vivftp

Kinda odd rumor I came across on another forum stating there will be an Xperia Z6, and that it'll be able to integrate with PSVR

http://nseavoice.com/tech/sony-xper...both-games-smartphone-industry-920010910.html

I don't put much faith in the rumor, but I am curious how it would all work if it were true.

On a different note, if Sony were to stick to their trend of using 1080p displays in their flagship phones (Z5 Premium excluded), then would it make sense to use the screen from PSVR in a phone? A 5.7" 1080p RGB OLED with a 120Hz refresh rate would be pretty decent, I'd imagine.

Well, it's phone upgrade time for my family. Mother getting a Nexus 5X and my father will get my old Nexus 5 after I get something.

I'm really not sure about the OnePlus 3 after hearing that you can't use dash charge with custom ROMs. It is still very attractive at its price point, so I wonder if it's ever possible for custom rom developers to hack in dash charging. It's a kernel thing.

Either way, my choice is Nexus 5X at €300 or OnePlus 3 at €400

i would go with one plus no doubt.

wilflare

I still get both of these regularly. Just the other day I got an "auto awesome" just a minute or two after I snapped the photo

I only get album creations and random video montages these days, no more collages, "add a filter to my still shot" kind of thing

2014, of course.

No. When you state a date without a year that means current year. You could have bought it used. The fact that you hadn't factory reset also leans towards you hadn't had it long.

Factory resets are basically mandotory on old Android phones and especially after many os upgrades.

Hasney

Kinda odd rumor I came across on another forum stating there will be an Xperia Z6, and that it'll be able to integrate with PSVR

http://nseavoice.com/tech/sony-xper...both-games-smartphone-industry-920010910.html

I don't put much faith in the rumor, but I am curious how it would all work if it were true.

On a different note, if Sony were to stick to their trend of using 1080p displays in their flagship phones (Z5 Premium excluded), then would it make sense to use the screen from PSVR in a phone? A 5.7" 1080p RGB OLED with a 120Hz refresh rate would be pretty decent, I'd imagine.

The smart thing would be to Bluetooth with the console and get notifications delivered to your screen as otherwise you might miss them while using VR. It couldn't be used as the screen as there's no way to take the screen out of the PSVR headset.

I'm betting that it would end up just being a PSVR app store like Oculus on Samsung though.

OnePlus 3 order cancelled, spoke with support this morning and asked for a shipping update, it's currently sitting at Payment Processed Awaiting Dispatch. They said there was an issue and the order is still pending payment, now I've seen the money come out my account so I know it's not. She said she doesn't know why and will escalate to the payments team........

Pretty much all my experience with OP support has been shocking, they still have a long way to go in that area. Guess will be looking for something similar on an 820 chip, till then the 6P will suffice.

Asgaro

To those with the June security patch level, can you change permissions without this pop-up appearing?

Lots of people in the Sony Concept ROM community have this pop-up appearing since the latest update.

We have to temporarily revoke the overlay permission of all apps that use an overlay. (Tedious in my case since I have around 15...)

PbCM0ZP.png

Futureman

I thought the previous behavior of Chrome was a single card in the app switcher and recently it changed back to individual tabs showing up in the app switcher?

when I got my S7 yesterday, individual tabs were in the app switcher and after the phone did its initial updates and Chrome updated, now it changed to single card in switcher. That's how I prefer it honestly, but it threw me off after seeing discussion in here.

I thought the previous behavior of Chrome was a single card in the app switcher and recently it changed back to individual tabs showing up in the app switcher?

when I got my S7 yesterday, individual tabs were in the app switcher and after the phone did its initial updates and Chrome updated, now it changed to single card in switcher. That's how I prefer it honestly, but it threw me off after seeing discussion in here.

I believe it's just the Android N Preview that's doing that. Unless they have reverted back?

Looking at the Mi5 Pro as a replacement for my 6P, any comments?

So I just ordered a OnePlus 3. Estimated date of delivery July 7th, damn it. At least Nexus 5 is good enough to use till then.

Hopping off the Nexus train!

Noema

Anandtech OP3 review

Anandtech said:
One thing worth noting is that our set of apps wouldn't come close to utilizing the OnePlus 3's 6GB of RAM. Unfortunately, no matter how many apps we added, this would actually still be the case. The reason is that OnePlus has implemented very aggressive app eviction from memory, which means that your 6GB of RAM is really just sitting there using energy, and in general the utilization is pretty low. This may be a holdover from when the OnePlus 2 shipped in a 3GB configuration, but it's something OnePlus needs to address in a future OTA update. I'd imagine the Android enthusiast community is already at work on, or has already created custom kernels to alter this behavior as well. With 6GB of RAM you should be able to comfortably keep all of a user's frequently used apps resident in memory.

The OnePlus 2 was an unfortunate victim of Snapdragon 810's heat and throttling problems, but OnePlus certainly didn't help the issue by hardcoding in mechanisms to detect Google Chrome and shut the A57 cluster off entirely. With the OnePlus 3 you get some of the best CPU performance in an Android phone, with PCMark's real-world tests demonstrating noticeable gains over the LG G5 which also uses Snapdragon 820.

While I do feel 1080p is a good resolution to choose for a 5.5" RGB LCD panel, it is simply not adequate for a PenTile AMOLED display.

[...] it's completely obvious that the OnePlus 3 has a lower effective resolution, with text exhibiting distracting artifacts, and solid patterns that are red, blue, or white having a crosshatch pattern that simply isn't visible on OnePlus's older smartphones. I completely agreed with OnePlus's choice of 1080p on their past smartphones, but saying that there's no benefit to going higher on a PenTile AMOLED display is simply false, and there's no getting around the fact that the OnePlus 3 has a lower effective resolution than its predecessors.

Regardless of what path led to the OnePlus 3's current display, the end result is that the poor display calibration ruins the phone for me, because the screen is just unpleasant to look at. If display accuracy doesn’t matter at all to you it may be possible to overlook it, but for anyone who cares even the slightest bit the issues with the OnePlus 3’s display will be too severe to live with.

hitgirl

I need a cheap Verizon phone off swappa for my grandma ($50ish dollars). Needs to be able to take a sim card as I am post paid monthly. I don't think a pre paid Moto G would work? What else could I get?

LeleSocho

Banned
Anandtech destroyed OP3's display, it essentially says it's an high end screen from 2010.
It doesn't have a single redeeming factor lol

Asgaro

Just got done enabling 2FA on all applicable (to my knowledge) services I use, using Authy.
Total of 15 services.

Major service that isn't using 2FA yet, at least not worldwide: PayPal. Pretty crazy...

Top Bottom