• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Won't be supported or no guarantee of support?
it's more of a "it may get an update, it may not, but if it doesn't you can't complain because we were upfront about the dates"

The fact that they're posting the dates makes it a bit more worrying because maybe it now means they intend to enforce it. 2 years for the latest nexus phones seems low. Should be 3 years guaranteed.

doc2.gif

What exactly are we looking at here. Is that supposed to be good or bad?

2 years of support from Google for their Nexus devices seems super weak.

At this point, timely updates seem to be the only USP for Nexus phones at this point.

I think the general rule should be towards two years from when it is taken off sale. Because many phones, especially in the UK, are sold on two year contacts. You should expect good support and to be kept up to date through that whole time from when you buy it.

Like, you can buy a Nexus 6P now. But you'll not get two years of support on new versions. There's not a newer one to buy yet, and for many people, you change phone at time of upgrade - not on the release of a model.

Drifters

Why is everyone bitching? This has been the norm for us Nexi' users for pretty much always. Google is just catching up with the times and documenting the sunset phase.

Besides, the way tech moves, you'll want another Nexus phone in 2 years anyways so I'm a little lost as to why people are bitching.

Why is everyone bitching? This has been the norm for us Nexi' users for pretty much always. Google is just catching up with the times and documenting the sunset phase.

Besides, the way tech moves, you'll want another Nexus phone in 2 years anyways so I'm a little lost as to why people are bitching.

Probably because they know their precious N5 has finally hit the end of its rope.

Hitta93

Banned
I want to upgrade to the HTC 10, but I feel like this is going to be the one phone that HTC makes that's going to retain crazy value 6 months in.

G4 still performing well, but I just want that design.

RuGalz

Both of these came out last fall and this is utter bullshit. Nexus devices need a minimum of three years of support IMHO. Just in case anyone wonders why I am so picky about smartphones then they need to look at this information. Getting stuck with a device full of compromises after two years must feel awful.

2 years for major update, and everyone seems to ignore the 3 years or 18 months after discontinuation of a device depends on which is longer for security updates. The fact that Android is a lot more mature now with just a handful changes between major versions having that security patch support length is still pretty good.

Because 2 years is weak for a device line like this. Apple does it better, as well as Microsoft. Both do it for different reasons, but there's no reason why Google couldn't do the same.

Probably because they know their precious N5 has finally hit the end of its rope.

Absolutely. And it hurts really bad, because there is no real replacement in sight.

Asgaro

There are tech-savvy people who don't upgrade often.
These are all I've owned:

bOK5YmQ.png

(It's possible I will upgrade more often now that I'm in the Android ecosystem, but the Z3C will probably still receive N. So definitely still 2-3 years removed from an upgrade.)

Asgaro

Phew, I just got around to adding all my not-purchased-yet apps within my bookmarks, to the app AppSales. You get notifs when a wish listed app is on sale.

If anyone's interested in some great apps, check my list. (Based primarily on recommendations from /r/Android, Android Police and Android Authority.)

100 apps in total (Maximum allowed within the Premium version...)
Doesn't include any games or apps requiring root to fulfill their main function.

If I can save around 1 euro/dollar on each app, I save 100 euros/dollars in total.
(Google Play Rewards is still not yet available here in Belgium so can't get paid apps for free...)

Ashhong

Don't usually read up on Android stuff, what is the whole new messaging system? I have a Galaxy S5 for work and would love a better texting app. Current trying out Facebook with texting

Futureman

so I integrated Voice w/ Hangouts. I do not have a text message plan through Verizon.

My two friends who have iPhones sent me a group text to my Google Voice number. It works and I can do group texts from Hangouts on my computer and S7.

in Hangouts on the computer, the chat window says "SMS" on it and in the message window it is saying "via Google Voice."

I should be good right? These aren't going through as texts I would think? As long as they don't do anything with my real Verizon number I should be fine?

RuGalz

so I integrated Voice w/ Hangouts. I do not have a text message plan through Verizon.

My two friends who have iPhones sent me a group text to my Google Voice number. It works and I can do group texts from Hangouts on my computer and S7.

in Hangouts on the computer, the chat window says "SMS" on it and in the message window it is saying "via Google Voice."

I should be good right? These aren't going through as texts I would think? As long as they don't do anything with my real Verizon number I should be fine?

yep

wilflare

seems like my phone is messed up for no reason.
I keep getting this "A change in your account requires you to sign in again" I sign in and I just keep getting errors

I'm stupid about all this sorts of shit, but is that really an upgrade?

Seems like a sidegrade at best? Wasn't he top dog at pocket now?
Pocket Now really isn't a popular website and they certainly don't have the audience that websites like TheVerge (Love them or hate them) and Mobile Nations attract. It looks like he now gets to do his own work and is only associated with Mobile Nations in branding. Presumably they are probably paying him and also provide him resources to get access to equipment and new product launches to review.

It's possible Fisher felt like Pocket Now was holding him back because the only reason a lot of people tuned in to Pocket Now videos and the like were because they wanted to watch his content. Now he gets to do his own thing similar to like MKBHD and other successful Youtube channels.

Because 2 years is weak for a device line like this. Apple does it better, as well as Microsoft. Both do it for different reasons, but there's no reason why Google couldn't do the same.

Absolutely. And it hurts really bad, because there is no real replacement in sight.
Apple does better? Their 1+ year update that more or less forces you to update on how slow it makes it¿

Groof

sRGB is niche. if it wasn't measure, many people wouldn't care. the bare few that do are rare. how often does someone in your vicinity complain about the colour calibration of their screens?

cue all the people telling me they always cared about calibration. good on you

LeleSocho

Banned
sRGB is niche. if it wasn't measure, many people wouldn't care. the bare few that do are rare. how often does someone in your vicinity complain about the colour calibration of their screens?

cue all the people telling me they always cared about calibration. good on you

sRGB is the default color space of the whole web how can someone say it's niche? You could make the argument that DCI-P3 is niche or not that useful on a phone but sRGB? Really?
People not caring how accurate their display is is a different problem and subject.

Groof

sRGB is the default color space of the whole web how can someone say it's niche? You could make the argument that DCI-P3 is niche or not that useful on a phone but sRGB? Really?
People not caring how accurate their display is is a different problem and subject.

the standard isn't niche, the people that care are.

Saiyan-Rox

Posting from my OP3 :)

For what it's worth I can't see the screen issues that were mentioned before and it looks perfectly fine....so far. I'll keep using it and report back (if anyone cares lol)

Quasar

There are tech-savvy people who don't upgrade often.

Yeah. I still used a Nexus 4 till early this year.and frankly only upgraded for 2 reasons.

1. Software updates stopped
2. Thumbprint reader.

I'm certainly bummed as the duration of updates on the Nexus 4 at least seems to have been much better.

2 years of updates on a expensive device is pretty poor. Especially given how important updates are on keeping a internet connected device secure is.

RuGalz

2 years of updates on a expensive device is pretty poor. Especially given how important updates are on keeping a internet connected device secure is.

"Nexus devices in the future. Google is committing to keeping the now-monthly security updates coming for either three years from initial availability in the Google Store or 18 months after it is removed from the store (whichever is longer). Major OS updates are guaranteed for two years from release."

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I can't tolerate basic mode on my Note 5 for a long time. Give me those punchy colors any day of the week, plz!

Top Bottom