• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

What a surprise, so par for the course, OnePlus has proven they are useless. After requesting my order to be cancelled on Monday, yesterday afternoon I received an email advising me it's been dispatched. On contacting the support, they told me that the status of my order changed too quickly. 48 hours?!?!? I now have to reject the parcel when it arrives, hoping that it's not the Mi5 that I ordered instead.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 (2016) worth it? I really want a 4:3 Android Tablet, the Amoled screen seems to be amazing (I do like my Comics) and they currently have a 50 Euro cashback promo running so it would be 300 Euro.

Not a big fan of Touchwiz, but that's nothing a Launcher can't fix... Anyone got this one? How's the battery life?

Saiyan-Rox

What a surprise, so par for the course, OnePlus has proven they are useless. After requesting my order to be cancelled on Monday, yesterday afternoon I received an email advising me it's been dispatched. On contacting the support, they told me that the status of my order changed too quickly. 48 hours?!?!? I now have to reject the parcel when it arrives, hoping that it's not the Mi5 that I ordered instead.

Why did you decide to cancel? Mine has been great so far only had a slight issue with wallpaper setting.

Hasney

Why did you decide to cancel? Mine has been great so far only had a slight issue with wallpaper setting.

Because their support was shit, SURPRISE SURPRISE.

OnePlus 3 order cancelled, spoke with support this morning and asked for a shipping update, it's currently sitting at Payment Processed Awaiting Dispatch. They said there was an issue and the order is still pending payment, now I've seen the money come out my account so I know it's not. She said she doesn't know why and will escalate to the payments team........

Pretty much all my experience with OP support has been shocking, they still have a long way to go in that area. Guess will be looking for something similar on an 820 chip, till then the 6P will suffice.

I was advised that my 2nd order had an issue (first already cancelled due to fraud check) and that I would be refunded and then debited again for a new order. Told them just to cancel the order and went looking for another alternative which I picked the 128GB Mi5. It's missing band 20 for 4G but I'm with Three so it has some coverage.

Saiyan-Rox

Because their support was shit, SURPRISE SURPRISE.

I was advised that my 2nd order had an issue (first already cancelled due to fraud check) and that I would be refunded and then debited again for a new order. Told them just to cancel the order and went looking for another alternative which I picked the 128GB Mi5. It's missing band 20 for 4G but I'm with Three so it has some coverage.

Ah shit I see what you mean the support there is really bad I don't care how much they say they're upgrading it and making it better. I took a gamble and got through this time device is working great but if I have issues I go the PayPal route and dodge the customer service (if it can even be called that)

Caderfix

I want to buy a new smartphone, but I can't decide between LG G5, LG V10 and Galaxy S7 Edge. Can you, please, give me your opinion about those three options?

LeleSocho

Banned
I want to buy a new smartphone, but I can't decide between LG G5, LG V10 and Galaxy S7 Edge. Can you, please, give me your opinion about those three options?

G5 build quality is bad and so is the screen.
V10 has marvelous build quality but it's a generation behind and with a SoC that sucks way too much energy.
The only S7 Edge "problem" is TouchWiz, if you can look past that then buy that.

In any case i would go with either V10 or S7.

if these are the choices then get the S7 edge. You can put a launcher over touchwiz I guess. Updates will come slow but eventually. Better hardware than those other 2.

Soodanim

After about a year and a half my Z3 Compact has succumbed to the apparently common headphone port looseness issue, so it's time for it to make way for something new.

But I need your advice, GAF.

Do I go for the Nexus 5X, the Moto X Play, or something else?

&#8226; The X Play has a bigger battery, SD card, water resistant coating, (I definitely need 32GB minimum), and screen size (the extra .3" isn't necessarily better though, I'm used to <5" but have big hands)
&#8226; The 5X has the fingerprint scanner, quicker Android updates (I'll almost definitely try N given what I've seen of the feature set), USB-C, and according to TechRadar a slightly better processor
&#8226; Both seem to have good enough cameras
&#8226; Both have access to fast charging via additional fast chargers
&#8226; Neither have wireless charging (come on, my Nexus 4 and 7 have that from 3+ years ago)

For price, the Nexus 5X is £206 for 32GB and the X Play is £220 for the 16GB (can't find the 32GB for sale, which is a pain as I've used 15GB of the internal on the Z3C even after transferring data to SD card in M).

After about a year and a half my Z3 Compact has succumbed to the apparently common headphone port looseness issue, so it's time for it to make way for something new.

But I need your advice, GAF.

Do I go for the Nexus 5X, the Moto X Play, or something else?

• The X Play has a bigger battery, SD card, water resistant coating, (I definitely need 32GB minimum), and screen size (the extra .3" isn't necessarily better though, I'm used to <5" but have big hands)
• The 5X has the fingerprint scanner, quicker Android updates (I'll almost definitely try N given what I've seen of the feature set), USB-C, and according to TechRadar a slightly better processor
• Both seem to have good enough cameras
• Both have access to fast charging via additional fast chargers
• Neither have wireless charging (come on, my Nexus 4 and 7 have that from 3+ years ago)

For price, the Nexus 5X is £206 for 32GB and the X Play is £220 for the 16GB (can't find the 32GB for sale, which is a pain as I've used 15GB of the internal on the Z3C even after transferring data to SD card in M).
I owned the X play for a while and I'd personally recommend the 5X over it. Yes the battery is super on point but everything else about the phone isn't that good. Notably the chip running it is very lacklustre. I don't know if I can recommend it, especially now.

ElNino

Yeah. 1080p pentile displays are not really 1080p. Only green subpixels are effectively 1080p as stated in the Anandtech review.

In case anyone thinks this is an exageration, I was watching DetroitBorg's OP3 review and you can clearly see this crosshatching patterns in the video (which he uploads in 4K). Specifically look at the solid red and blue on the Chrome icon:

DX7P7J7.png

Here's an iPhone 6s Plus (which is also 5.5", but an IPS LCD), for reference,

A3EYIGM.png

#NeverSettle
Maybe it's my eyes deteriorating, but I don't see any noticeable problems with my OP3. Coming from my 950XL, it's obviously a lower resolution (at a similar size screen), but it doesn't look bad to me at all.

RuGalz

Maybe it's my eyes deteriorating, but I don't see any noticeable problems with my OP3. Coming from my 950XL, it's obviously a lower resolution (at a similar size screen), but it doesn't look bad to me at all.

this is internet, specs on paper >>> real life perceivable difference

ElNino

this is internet, specs on paper >>> real life perceivable difference
For sure, I picked up the OP3 because I wanted to give Android a shot after years of (sometimes) happily using WP. I didn't even know the OP3 was coming until last week and just took a chance on it based on the experiences of others who owned, and mostly still use, the OPO.

Android quirks aside, it seems to be a pretty good phone to me thus far but I've only had it for a few days.

Asgaro

Anyone have an Xiaomi, Gionee or BLU? Good or bad experiences?

I plan on keeping my Z3C for about 2 more years, but just started looking for manufacturers that are known for battery life.

I discovered GSMArena's filter tool which is insanely handy.

Some trends I could gather so far:

- sub 5.0" with exceptional battery life is dead. There are a handful though but those are devices meant for in the trenches lol. Real work oriented units.
I would definitely have considered a consumer device even when it's rather thick.
- Devices with 4000+ mAh started arriving in 2014 but boomed really only starting from 2015.
- Xiaomi, Gionee and BLU seem manufacturers really going for exceptional battery life. Xiaomi is the most popular one currently.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock &#8207;@RDR0b11 5 minutes ago

It seems Marlin and Sailfish are alive and well. And made by HTC.

!

David Ruddock &#8207;@RDR0b11 5s seconds ago

Since that apparently didn't stick: Marlin and Sailfish are the next Nexus phones. They are very real.

!!

y'all got leaks

Blue Lou

Does anybody know how to control which app is being controlled by Bluetooth?

I like to listen to podcasts using pocket casts but when I change the volume using the dial on the car's entertainment unit, the app will switch to Poweramp and start playing music.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope the HTC deal is a one year deal. I can skip a year and stay with the 6P no problem, after that I would like a new Nexus device.

Sailfish specs:

Manufactured by HTC
5" 1080p display (~440PPI)
Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit processor (model unknown)
4GB RAM
2770mAh battery
32GB storage (unknown if multiple models will be available, or even if this is the base storage level)
12MP rear camera, 8MP front
Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
USB-C port (bottom)
Bottom-firing speaker or speakers (unknown if dual)
Top-mounted headphone jack
Bluetooth 4.2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ller-of-two-upcoming-htc-built-nexus-devices/

Sailfish specs:

Manufactured by HTC
4GB RAM
2770mAh battery
32GB storage (unknown if multiple models will be available, or even if this is the base storage level)
USB-C port (bottom)
Bluetooth 4.2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ller-of-two-upcoming-htc-built-nexus-devices/

That doesn't sound terrible, but we'd need to know the SoC to see how much of a step up it is from the botched 5X.

Even then, 4GB RAM OS great and wireless charging seems to be dead. Oh well. Hopefully the S7 gets cheaper soon.

And it can still be average at best.

Average but will be better than the 5x. Disappointing but better. My 5x had awesome battery life until google had to turn the idle frequency up.

For reference the G5 has a 1440p display with a 2800mAh battery. I would imagine the 5x will have much better battery life than the G5 but we need to know the SOC to say for sure.
Samsung-benchmark.010.jpeg

I worry that if it really does have a 5" display the bezels are going to be huge and negatively impact the size. Kind of hard to feel confident that they will produce a compact phone given that the One A9 had a 5" display and it is the same height as the larger screened HTC 10 and nearly the same width as it.

Drifters

Sailfish specs:

Manufactured by HTC
4GB RAM
2770mAh battery
USB-C port (bottom)
Bluetooth 4.2

/gif whatthefuckisthisshit.gif

And then queue the most relevant gif... BUT HOW MUCH?
tripleh999.gif

Having owned an M8, let's rip this apart for the godphone that was the HTC One M8 compared to this and reflect on the HTC One as well.

5" 1080p display (~440PPI) - Don't believe this (the 1080p that is). I would image we get a QHD screen and even perhaps an first for HTC... AMOLED for notifications akin to the 6P.
Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit processor (model unknown) Come on folks, this is an 820, it is known.
4GB RAM - Noted.
2770mAh battery - /gif blink182singerinawigWTF.gif - No, no no no, same as the HTC 10 or higher.
32GB storage - Base (Thank you based Google!) and probably 64/128 variants.
12MP rear camera, 8MP front - Most likely same sensor as in the HTC 10, maybe different sensor. OIS as well.
Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner - Yes. Front facing fingerprint readers suck balls.
USB-C port (bottom) - Duh.
Bottom-firing speaker or speakers (unknown if dual) - For the love, dual front please.
Top-mounted headphone jack - WTF?
Bluetooth 4.2 - Yup.

Sailfish specs:

Manufactured by HTC
4GB RAM
2770mAh battery
USB-C port (bottom)
Bluetooth 4.2

Does Hwuwei know about this thinking they are doing the nexus this year?

Screw them small phones tho

Honestly, having a 1080p display is perfectly fine for a 5" or smaller screen. I'd rather take that then cramming a QHD screen in there just for the sake of having one. The only concerning thing about the specs is the battery life. That being said the Nexus 5X had great battery life for my usage and it was also dealing with the crappy 808 processor. I'd reckon this phone will offer a significant improvement over the 5X if it is using an 820 or 821.

I checked some reviews on the HTC One M8 and it sounded like that phone got pretty great battery life back in the day and it was using an older version of Android and a smaller 2600mAh battery. My hope is that the small size is an indicator that it might be packing a great screen to body ratio.

Soodanim

Are you kidding me? It's not even a choice.
All I know is that 16GB phones need to die as far as I'm concerned. I'm currently at 15GB internal and 18GB SD used, so the new Nexus needs to exist I'm 64GB if I'm going to even look twice at it.

At the price point there is fuck all that meets my specifications, with the G4 Plus being the closest but lacking NFC.

Jigolo

Honestly, having a 1080p display is perfectly fine for a 5" or smaller screen. I'd rather take that then cramming a QHD screen in there just for the sake of having one. The only concerning thing about the specs is the battery life. That being said the Nexus 5X had great battery life for my usage and it was also dealing with the crappy 808 processor. I'd reckon this phone will offer a significant improvement over the 5X if it is using an 820 or 821.

I checked some reviews on the HTC One M8 and it sounded like that phone got pretty great battery life back in the day and it was using an older version of Android and a smaller 2600mAh battery. My hope is that the small size is an indicator that it might be packing a great screen to body ratio.
for the love of God I hope it does. this phone should not be taller than 138mm or wider than 68mm

I'll accept 2770 if it's a small phone - like nexus 5 in size. If it's huge and only 2770 instead of lets say 3000mah. That's a shame.

I respect that they didn't gimp it because it's smaller. All about execution...

for the love of God I hope it does. this phone should not be taller than 138mm or wider than 68mm
That's not even realistic. I just checked several 5" phones including the HTC One M8, Nexus 5, One A9, and Galaxy S4 and none of them are narrower than 68mm and only one of them (The Nexus 5) is shorter than 138mm, but it is dangerously close to being at that point.

Top Bottom