• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Futureman

Average but will be better than the 5x. Disappointing but better. My 5x had awesome battery life until google had to turn the idle frequency up.

For reference the G5 has a 1440p display with a 2800mAh battery. I would imagine the 5x will have much better battery life than the G5 but we need to know the SOC to say for sure.
Samsung-benchmark.010.jpeg

GS7 international has almost 2 hour better battery life than the US version? The only difference is the processor? I didn't realize that had such a huge impact on battery life? I thought the screen was the main battery drain.

Drifters

Honestly, having a 1080p display is perfectly fine for a 5" or smaller screen. I'd rather take that then cramming a QHD screen in there just for the sake of having one. The only concerning thing about the specs is the battery life. That being said the Nexus 5X had great battery life for my usage and it was also dealing with the crappy 808 processor. I'd reckon this phone will offer a significant improvement over the 5X if it is using an 820 or 821.

I checked some reviews on the HTC One M8 and it sounded like that phone got pretty great battery life back in the day and it was using an older version of Android and a smaller 2600mAh battery. My hope is that the small size is an indicator that it might be packing a great screen to body ratio.

The only reason the M8 got good battery life was because of HTC's freq. kernel tweaks. Stock Android on it sucked; HTC Sense of Lollipop and Marshmallow was an absolute dream!

HawkeyeIC

Bottom fired speaker and fingerprint on the back should mean this is significantly smaller than the 5X. Hope they do the same with the new 6.

LeleSocho

Banned
GS7 international has almost 2 hour better battery life than the US version? The only difference is the processor? I didn't realize that had such a huge impact on battery life? I thought the screen was the main battery drain.

It's their own processor and they optimize for it a lot, kinda like Apple but on a lower level because they don't have a complete control over the OS.

Yep. Which basically proves that brute force batteriy sizing isnt the only way to go.

Im calling it.

Nexus 5 2016 = Snapdragon 818 (slightly underclocked/lower model GPU)

Nexus 6 2016 = Snapdragon 823 ((slightly overclocked)

Jigolo

That's not even realistic. I just checked several 5" phones including the HTC One M8, Nexus 5, One A9, and Galaxy S4 and none of them are narrower than 68mm and only one of them (The Nexus 5) is shorter than 138mm, but it is dangerously close to being at that point.
unrealistic?😂😂

See Xperia ZL

see Xperia XA

check height of Xperia ZL

check width of Xperia XA

I'm hoping Apple rumors are true for thwir 2017 iPhone. bezeless phones are the future and Android OEMs will copy the 2017 iPhone in 2018 when I'm due an upgrade from this year's 2016 nexus

Jeffrey

looking at getting a 'backup' phone these days (also unlocked international travel phone), and while I usually use iOS outside of work stuff, noticed moto x pure starting at $240 today being floated around deal sites.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SEXKI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any impressions of this here in terms of the specs and build/reliability/customer service of modern motorola?

Thanks.

unrealistic?😂😂

See Xperia ZL

see Xperia XA

check width of Xperia XA

I'm hoping Apple rumors are true for thwir 2017 iPhone. bezeless phones are the future and Android OEMs will copy the 2017 iPhone in 2018 when I'm due an upgrade from this year's 2016 nexus
Still looking unrealistic to me. You linked two phones that separately meet the dimensions you wanted because neither of them had both requirements. Also, you have to give up something somewhere. Both phones you linked have really tiny batteries which was seemingly the cost to get those dimensions and at that rate it just isn't a good trade off.

unrealistic?😂😂

See Xperia ZL

see Xperia XA

check width of Xperia XA

So Android OEMs are going to copy themselves? There are already a bunch of Android phones with tiny bezels.

I'll accept 2770 if it's a small phone - like nexus 5 in size. If it's huge and only 2770 instead of lets say 3000mah. That's a shame.

I respect that they didn't gimp it because it's smaller. All about execution...

That's what they really botched with the 5X. It's just really huge for its screen size.

CronoShot

So I've been using the OnePlus 3 for the past few days (coming from a 6P)

- The screen, while having a very blue white balance, is completely fine. I definitely don't think it's bad by any means. It's clear that the calibration is off, but I thought, for example, the Nexus 6's screen was significantly worse.

- Performance is good, but it's really not worlds apart from the 6P. In fact, the 6P's screen feels a tiny bit more responsive to me. Faster touch response maybe? That said, load times for apps are faster on the OP3, but only by a second or two.

- I love the build/form factor of the OP3. It's lighter than you would think it would be, but not so light as to feel cheap. The bezels are tiny, and coming from the 6P it feels significantly smaller in my hand, even though the screens are almost the same size.

- Wi-Fi performance is awful. I guess that's an area that OnePlus cut costs, but I noticed when downloading and updating my apps that speeds are much worse and more inconsistent than the 6P. Also, the OP3 really likes to lose its Wi-Fi connection when it's dozing. Even when you turn the screen back on, you often have to turn Wi-Fi off and then on again to regain connection.

- The OnePlus 3 definitely runs cooler than the 6P. After ~30 minutes of web browsing on Chrome, the 6P is noticeably warm, while the OP3 is almost completely cool.

- The fingerprint sensor on the OP3 is the fastest I've ever used. Much, much faster than the 6P (which was already pretty quick).

- Battery life on the 6P seems to be a bit better, but not by a whole lot.

- Personal pet peeve: you can't play HD videos from Google Play. They only play in SD. Why.

Overall, the 6P feels like the more polished product. Plus you obviously get better update support from Google than OnePlus. But the OP3 is quite a bit cheaper, even with sales for the 6P.

Honestly my original plan was to sell the 6P and use the OP3. But now, I'm returning the OP3 and keeping the 6P, at least until the new Nexuses drop.

Saiyan-Rox

So I've been using the OnePlus 3 for the past few days (coming from a 6P)

- The screen, while having a very blue white balance, is completely fine. I definitely don't think it's bad by any means. It's clear that the calibration is off, but I thought, for example, the Nexus 6's screen was significantly worse.

- Performance is good, but it's really not worlds apart from the 6P. In fact, the 6P's screen feels a tiny bit more responsive to me. Faster touch response maybe? That said, load times for apps are faster on the OP3, but only by a second or two.

- I love the build/form factor of the OP3. It's lighter than you would think it would be, but not so light as to feel cheap. The bezels are tiny, and coming from the 6P it feels significantly smaller in my hand, even though the screens are almost the same size.

- Wi-Fi performance is awful. I guess that's an area that OnePlus cut costs, but I noticed when downloading and updating my apps that speeds are much worse and more inconsistent than the 6P. Also, the OP3 really likes to lose its Wi-Fi connection when it's dozing. Even when you turn the screen back on, you often have to turn Wi-Fi off and then on again to regain connection.

- The OnePlus 3 definitely runs cooler than the 6P. After ~30 minutes of web browsing on Chrome, the 6P is noticeably warm, while the OP3 is almost completely cool.

- The fingerprint sensor on the OP3 is the fastest I've ever used. Much, much faster than the 6P (which was already pretty quick).

- Battery life on the 6P seems to be a bit better, but not by a whole lot.

- Personal pet peeve: you can't play HD videos from Google Play. They only play in SD. Why.

Overall, the 6P feels like the more polished product. Plus you obviously get better update support from Google than OnePlus. But the OP3 is quite a bit cheaper, even with sales for the 6P.

Honestly my original plan was to sell the 6P and use the OP3. But now, I'm returning the OP3 and keeping the 6P, at least until the new Nexuses drop.

Least someone else noticed this it's slightly doing my head in

This is something I noticed with the OnePlus One too and put it down to Cyanogen at the time until I switched ROMs and it persisted. Transferring large files to a network drive would often fail and disconnect.

Gotta wonder how LG managed to make the smallest 5.2" phone three years ago and shoved a 3000mAh battery inside of it and yet phones like the Nexus 5X, or HTC 10 have either smaller batteries or the same sized battery in a larger frame.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gotta wonder how LG managed to make the smallest 5.2" phone three years ago and shoved a 3000mAh battery inside of it and yet phones like the Nexus 5X, or HTC 10 have either smaller batteries or the same sized battery in a larger frame.

I now and I'm still sporting that phone and can't decide on what to upgrade it with.

thenexus6

Bought a Moto G 3rd gen because I was getting sick of my recent P8 Lite and its annoying bugs.

Man this phone is up there as one of the best feeling in the hand. The Moto dimple + textured back shell are awesome.

12-year-old son's 2013 Moto X makes random static sounds coming out of the speaker while both carrying it around in his pocket, holding it in his hand, and even while it sits flat on a surface.

Might be time for an update! That thing has been a workhorse for the past three years.

Furyous

One Plus 3 vs One Plus 2 screenshots from the Pocketnow review.

Is it possible to customize the status bar on the OP3?

The X Performance looks a bit inferior to the Xperia Z5 as far as OIS, battery life, and NFC with the NFC contact point on the front of the device above the display. For $700 I expect S7 performance with all of the specs possible. Sony needs to fix shit for 2017. They have until MWC 2017 to right this ship or lose me as a customer.

One Plus 3 vs One Plus 2 screenshots from the Pocketnow review.

Is it possible to customize the status bar on the OP3?

The X Performance looks a bit inferior to the Xperia Z5 as far as OIS, battery life, and NFC with the NFC contact point on the front of the device above the display. For $700 I expect S7 performance with all of the specs possible. Sony needs to fix shit for 2017. They have until MWC 2017 to right this ship or lose me as a customer.

Yes

I'm thinking about to get the Huawei P9 Plus.
What kind of amoled screen does it have?
Super Amoled Plus? Will i have burn in problems after time?
And how easy is it to get scratches on the back of the P9 Plus? I heard the back is made glossy.

Asgaro

seems like enabling this caused the whole "Account Action Required" mess on my 6P
disabling 2FA, logging in, re-enabling 2FA fixed the whole mess

(lost my Play Store search history in the process but oh well)

anyone use Chromer?

Me. Nearly since its initial release.

DizzyCrow

Looks like my Moto G (2015) is not handling its memory well, with just one tab opened on Firefox it randomly closes, the music player (Shuttle) closes when on background, also Facebook and the Android Keybord when in use. Other apps take ages to open.

If do a factory reset what happens with the 2FA? I'll have any problems to use my account again?

Asgaro

Looks like my Moto G (2015) is not handling its memory well, with just one tab opened on Firefox it randomly closes, the music player (Shuttle) closes when on background, also Facebook and the Android Keybord when in use. Other apps take ages to open.

If do a factory reset what happens with the 2FA? I'll have any problems to use my account again?

You have to use one-time-usage back-up codes then, until you have access again to your authenticator app. Most services provide back-up codes in the settings where you enabled 2FA.

No need - I think - to disable 2FA as long as you have these codes.

BUT, if you're authenticator app is Google Authenticator, it's probably better to disable 2FA everywhere first. Since when you reinstall, Google Authenticator won't automatically show all your registered services.

If you, however, use an authenticator with cloud back-up, like Authy, then I think that disabling 2FA everywhere isn't needed.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

edit: Now that I think of it: e.g. Steam is more strict since I remember a support article in case you have lost your phone or bought a new one. Better to disable 2FA there first, no matter what authentication app you use.
(Then again, Steam doesn't use the Google Authenticator or Authy app. So best to disable 2FA on any service that uses an in-house built app for authentication. I only can think of Steam and Blizzard that are in this situation.)

via Evleaks:

ClxP9rlUsAEEF0z.jpg

i'm in
Iris scanner could be cool if it's fast, can work from a wide angle, and less prone to errors than the fingerprint reader (which isn't bad on my S7, but could be better).

I'll need to see some reviews for the new Note, but I think I'll probably stick with the S7 Edge, which is smaller than my Note 4, but still a big enough size for me to use comfortably.

Every once in a while I miss having the stylus, but not enough to buy a whole phone for it.

Top Bottom