• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I'm assuming the upside is they can build features into android that they can directly support on their own phone. Also completely optimize the software to run on the hardware you produce and let other OEMs deal with it.

Like anything with android rumours, it all depends on execution. More often than not it sucks so we'll see.

Google still won't be able to figure out why Google play services drains the battery

Loxley

via Evleaks:

ClxP9rlUsAEEF0z.jpg

i'm in

I'm so ready. My Note 4 has been great these last (near) two years, and it seems like a Note 7 Edge would be a worthy upgrade. Heck I might even pick up Galaxy VR with it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn it's basically July doges. We are half way through the year and not a single new flagship tablet had released.

Talk about abandoning a sector.

thuway

I just hope that Galaxy Note 7 has a user replacable battery (crickets chirping).

Also whats the deal with Nexus? Is HTC making a Nexus or Huawei? And is Google also making another Nexus phone?

I just hope that Galaxy Note 7 has a user replacable battery (crickets chirping).

Also whats the deal with Nexus? Is HTC making a Nexus or Huawei? And is Google also making another Nexus phone?

HTC are making two phones, and it seems like today's report about the Google Phone is not real (I've taken it as a misunderstanding and it is just the HTC phones, but Google has taken massive control over the production of the unit).

There was some talk that there would be more phones then the two HTC phones, but I don't know if there were any more substantial talk regarding that.

Saiyan-Rox

Literally just saw that Google aren't giving the original pixel chromebook the Android App update....wow I know it's a few years old but i'm sure it's hardware could handle it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Holy smokes at this latest Google Maps detail update. My house and our trees are now 3D and you can see me mowing the yard.

Literally just saw that Google aren't giving the original pixel chromebook the Android App update....wow I know it's a few years old but i'm sure it's hardware could handle it.

They've said its not due to restrictions in the hardware, but devices older then two years will not be getting the functionality.

The new Google phone rumor is most likely bogus.

We are just going to see Nexus phones without any OEM branding going forward.

that's the thing, google also might be getting rid of the nexus branding which is something I heard a couple weeks ago, which would explain why this report is confused.

Too much shit going on, need more leakz.

thuway

that's the thing, google also might be getting rid of the nexus branding which is something I heard a couple weeks ago, which would explain why this report is confused.

Google officially calling them the Google phones? I want the HTC but I am not going to downgrade my screen size from 5.7 to 5.5 inches :/. I really wish Google had stuck with the Based Nexus OEM - Huawei.

Ahh good thought on the matter!

Google officially calling them the Google phones? I want the HTC but I am not going to downgrade my screen size from 5.7 to 5.5 inches :/. I really wish Google had stuck with the Based Nexus OEM - Huawei.

What? How do you know the nexus/google phablet is going to 5.5 in?

Quasar

it's not the same trouble though. Apple is moving tens of millions, just not growing. Android is at like...10s of 10s :p

yawwwwn I hate this time of year. Want to fast forward to september.

Isnt android like 40% of the tablet market! And add to that surfaces and other windows tablets?

wilflare

Android Pay finally launches in Singapore
now we have all 3 services in (Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay)
gonna try it out later

//is PocketCasts still the Podcast app of choice (both on PC and Android)?
or is Google Play good enough?

Android Pay finally launches in Singapore
now we have all 3 services in (Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay)
gonna try it out later

//is PocketCasts still the Podcast app of choice (both on PC and Android)?
or is Google Play good enough?
Google Play works but not if you want to queue up multiple different podcast

Otherwise
AntennaPod

Loxley

Current tablets are fine. We finally have 4:3 Android tablets, which is all that was missing

I just want an update to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with a 4:3 screen and improved stylus integration. Practically no flagship android tablets have native stylus support with stuff like pressure sensitivity and palm rejection for digital drawing, sketching or painting. It's what made my 2014 edition of the 10.1 so much fun to use before age just made it too stuttery and slow to use reliably anymore.

xezuru

Is rooting information allowed on here?
I was wondering how to do such on my GalaxyS5 Mini because the amount of fucking app trash is ridiculous.

Well the Mi5 arrived yesterday, so far so good, although will look to root and remove some trash on there or go the CM13 route. Certainly shifts along with the 820 inside it.

My Note 5 has arrived. So good having a (10 month old) flagship, it runs rings around my old Honor 7.

However, the reviewers weren't kidding, this thing is a fingerprint magnet. Can anyone recommend a skin/wrap for it?

Or any other general tips/tweaks?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At least with the iPad you're still getting great specs. Across their whole lineup.

In Android land it's Pixel C or well Pixel C. Why we don't have an updated Snap 820 tablet yet I do not know.

Saiyan-Rox

They've said its not due to restrictions in the hardware, but devices older then two years will not be getting the functionality.

Still though for something that is near enough the same as the new one in terms of software and price (originally) I'd have expected it to be supported for waaay longer.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
In another repeat of what we saw with the Xperia X, the X performance does not have a fingerprint sensor. For a phone that costs $700, that is really an insane omission. It feels like Sony doesn't even want to sell this phone when every other device in its price range includes this feature. The NFC chip is on the front of the phone like the X, making it essentially useless for Android Pay. Because there's no fingerprint sensor, you have to enter a PIN or pattern to confirm a transaction... but you can't see the screen if you turn the phone around to expose the sensor. It's a very dumb design quirk.

$700.

At least with the iPad you're still getting great specs. Across their whole lineup.

In Android land it's Pixel C or well Pixel C. Why we don't have an updated Snap 820 tablet yet I do not know.

I don't see how a snapdragon 820 is going to be any better than the x1 in the pixel c. In fact its most likely a worse soc in many ways than the x1. It's hard to get good benchmark comparisons due to the pixel c pushing more pixels than 820 phones.

If the form factor isn't an issue I would just buy the pixel c. The pixel c is the first Android tablet I have ever used with zero compromises. It's an amazing device.

reKon

Banned
Regarding the Note 7, if it has a 4000mah battery like GSMArena is reporting along with 6gb of RAM and USB C, it looks like this will be the new God tier of phones. Just needs that waterproofing. My GS7 has been great btw.

Top Bottom