• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Regarding the Note 7, if it has a 4000mah battery like GSMArena is reporting along with 6gb of RAM and USB C, it looks like this will be the new God tier of phones. Just needs that waterproofing. My GS7 has been great btw.

Would you switch from the S7 to the Note 7?

reKon

Banned
Would you switch from the S7 to the Note 7?

Nope. The only reason I got a phone this expensive is because I expense the cost through my company. I have considered though buying the Int'l version of the GS7 Edge in a sale off contract and selling my current US GS7. The Int'l version has incredible battery life and noticeable better performance than the US counterpart.

Nope. The only reason I got a phone this expensive is because I expense the cost through my company. I have considered though buying the Int'l version of the GS7 Edge in a sale off contract and selling my current US GS7. The Int'l version has incredible battery life and noticeable better performance than the US counterpart.

Would the international GS7 even make sense in the US? There's no carrier aggregation and the software wouldn't be optimized for that carrier anyway so in the end it may be a wash.

Groof

Disregarding Motorola's recent phone strategy something they always impress me with is their promotional images. Slick.

CmDAk2IVYAA0Bcr.jpg

don't do it cuz 808 and 810 gen suck. save your bones for this year's nexii

For 250 bones it's worth it. Now if it was 400 then nah.

The G4 and G4 Plus from Moto are up for preorder.

The G4 Plus seems somewhat compelling if you can get past the SD 617. The $300 model has 64GB storage and 4GB RAM with fingerprint (albeit a questionable design) and 1080p screen.

Hmm also they seem to work with Verizon and Sprint unlocked? Pretty nice if that's the case.

thuway

It's time to scrap the Xperia division and exit mobile altogether. Sony has been given chance after chance after chance, and they fall into the same tropes every single time.

1.) Pricing their phones nonsensibly to the point where they represent bad value for money. The devices are competent, but to try and layer a premium price over the likes of Samsung, HTC, and LG just screams stupidity.

2.) Championing build quality when it doesn't exist. The Xperia Z lineup has always been water, dust, and scratch resistant. You would think a phone like that could handle a fumble or two? Wrong. Numerous issues from SHATTERED backs from tiny falls, expensive repairs, and overheating have effectively made Sony ditch the Z line and create the X.

3.) Ignoring the US market altogether and arriving so late to the party- that the luster has completely worn off. Xperia Z's when announced tended to have some sort of redeeming quality- whether it be the excellent battery life, decent camera performance, looks- whatever. However, when it comes time to launch in the US- we'd hear rumors for months that Sony was investigating going to carriers, only to find out- they'd launch on T-Mobile when the SUCCESSOR PHONES ARE RELEASED IN EUROPE.

4.) Phones launching with an achilles heel. The Best of Sony branding is quite disappointing, since the original Xperia Z had a screen with god awful viewing angles, the camera sensors are "top of the line"- yet are always three or four steps behind the competition using Sony's PREVIOUS sensors, and to top it all off- sound quality - for a company that champions "audio" - has never been a priority or something any audiophile could hang their hat on. No matter which Xperia has launched there's always a "quirk" that puts the phones into "not worth it" territory unless you are an extreme enthusiast and want to buy a phone as a conversation point since no one owns it.

Incompetence, incompetence, incompetenece. Scrap the division.

November 2015. You're basically getting one more year of OS updates.

LOL. The 5x has been out for 9 months. Google said 2 years minimum for OS Upgrades and 3 years minimum for security updates.

Lets look at the history of the Nexus 7 2013 for comparison. It launched on jelly bean then received, kitkat, lollipop and ended on marshmallow.

Google is just protecting themselves in case a component manufacturer fucks them like we have seen before. It doesnt mean every nexus phone is only getting 1 or 2 operating system updates.

LOL. The 5x has been out for 9 months. Google said 2 years minimum for OS Upgrades and 3 years minimum for security updates.

Lets look at the history of the Nexus 7 2013 for comparison. It launched on jelly bean then received, kitkat, lollipop and ended on marshmallow.

Google is just protecting themselves in case a component manufacturer fucks them like we have seen before. It doesnt mean every nexus phone is only getting 1 or 2 operating system updates.

It's also not guaranteed, so why would you go for false hope, when you don't know how many OS updates the phone will get?

Google's support page states that they're not guaranteeing OS updates after September 2017. That's the only relevant fact and should definitely be mentioned before the phones get recommended. The person can still decide for himself if it's a good deal or not.

It's also not guaranteed, so why would you go for false hope, when you don't know how many OS updates the phone will get?

Google's support page states that they're not guaranteeing OS updates after September 2017. That's the only relevant fact and should definitely be mentioned before the phones get recommended. The person can still decide for himself if it's a good deal or not.

Yes and apple also didnt tell people they were going to update the iPhone 4s all the way through IOS 9 yet they still did.

You dont go by meaningless documents that try to protect companies from lawsuits. You go by update history where google has proven themselves just like apple has.

How many times did oems (especially motorola) say they were going to update a phone then never follow through? Quite a few times moto has dropped the ball even though they guaranteed updates. Others have as well.

Whats funny is this policy isnt even new. It was released last september and then google still went ahead and put the nexus 7 2013 on marshmallow anyway. Also google shouldnt even have released marshmallow for the 2012 nexus 7. It ruined the tablet since it couldnt keep up.

Noema

Disregarding Motorola's recent phone strategy something they always impress me with is their promotional images. Slick.

I played with the regular Moto G4 and the plus the other day at best buy. They are attractive devices and they feel nice in hand. At least Moto hasn't lost that.

reKon

Banned
Would the international GS7 even make sense in the US? There's no carrier aggregation and the software wouldn't be optimized for that carrier anyway so in the end it may be a wash.

I've owned a UK bought Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with the hotspot feature through T Mobile and I've been fine. Barely use Wi-Fi calling which I'd lose.

I've been using Evernote as my main note writing app, but I just got an email that Evernote "Basic" is going to start limiting itself to only 2 devices.

I don't know how they're limiting this since it's just a simple sign-on to your account system currently, but it's pretty shitty to do this and is pretty much cementing my decision to switch to Google Keep (which I'm still hesitant on since Google has a habit of dropping stuff after a while) and OneNote.

I mainly only use Evernote on two devices (iPad and android phone), but if getting my notes on my PC or android tablet or a new phone requires me to deactivate an old device or something, then it's not worth the hassle. No way I'm doing a monthly fee for a damn note taking app.

Futureman

Is Keep pretty full featured? I'm just coming off two years of iPhone and I seem to remember Keep being pretty basic when I had my Galaxy Nexus. I've just been using the Samsung Memos app since I got my S7 a week ago so I guess I don't really need anything fancy.

Jigolo

Is Keep pretty full featured? I'm just coming off two years of iPhone and I seem to remember Keep being pretty basic when I had my Galaxy Nexus. I've just been using the Samsung Memos app since I got my S7 a week ago so I guess I don't really need anything fancy.
it's definitely been updated with more features since way back then for sure. they built reminders into it. don't know what features you're looking for exactly but I'll tell you it definitely isn't the same as it was in the Galaxy Nexus days

Futureman

NeoGAF and Chrome on Android is so obnoxious. ALL THE TIME the space for the ads takes a few seconds longer to load compared to the rest of the page and when I go to touch on a topic the page jumps and I hit the wrong one 😭

Mindwipe

It's time to scrap the Xperia division and exit mobile altogether. Sony has been given chance after chance after chance, and they fall into the same tropes every single time.

Incompetence, incompetence, incompetenece. Scrap the division.

Is someone else going to make a smaller than 5 inch flagship? No? Then fuck off.

I've been using Evernote as my main note writing app, but I just got an email that Evernote "Basic" is going to start limiting itself to only 2 devices.

I don't know how they're limiting this since it's just a simple sign-on to your account system currently, but it's pretty shitty to do this and is pretty much cementing my decision to switch to Google Keep (which I'm still hesitant on since Google has a habit of dropping stuff after a while) and OneNote.

I mainly only use Evernote on two devices (iPad and android phone), but if getting my notes on my PC or android tablet or a new phone requires me to deactivate an old device or something, then it's not worth the hassle. No way I'm doing a monthly fee for a damn note taking app.

looks like its time to move on...

looks like its time to move on...

Ironically, I've been wanting to switch to OneNote, but I'm currently having issues logging into the app from my S7 Edge. It just says "Can't sign in, Please try again later." Works on my Nvidia Shield Portable, but not my phone for whatever reason. Hoping the post I put on Microsoft's support forums finds a solution.

For now I'll just stick with Google Keep until Evernote comes to their senses or OneNote starts working again. I just need to figure out a quick way of transferring all my Evernote notes...

Ironically, I've been wanting to switch to OneNote, but I'm currently having issues logging into the app from my S7 Edge. It just says "Can't sign in, Please try again later." Works on my Nvidia Shield Portable, but not my phone for whatever reason. Hoping the post I put on Microsoft's support forums finds a solution.

For now I'll just stick with Google Keep until Evernote comes to their senses or OneNote starts working again. I just need to figure out a quick way of transferring all my Evernote notes...

i just switched to OneNote after reading this post.

Asgaro

Heh, I was researching the note taking app landscape only the day before yesterday.
It would have been either Google Keep (which I had been using for a few months now) or Evernote. Glad this dilemma is now immediately resolved.

The only thing I hope Google keeps improving on, is organisation. I really like the concept of Notebooks in Evernote. Can probably be replicated with the current label system but it's more of a hassle.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because you don't want to bother layman users with a shitload of settings they can't possible comprehend or want to comprehend, making your program look unnecessary hard to understand.

Ask the guys from Pied Piper how that went for them.

Groof

I hate the flags. Have to there to disable pull down refresh as well. Why are so many features and settings hidden away there instead of the settings?

My guess is that many of those are still being tested, as well as not wanting to overwhelm the user with options in the menus.

Pyrokai

Is the OnePlus 3 legit? My sister is really struggling on deciding between it and the Nexus 6P. It's much cheaper but is there a price to pay for that cheaper price? Will she regret the OP3 in 1.5 years as it turns sluggish or something ? What's their track record?

How good are they with updates? Should she wait for Google's rumored phone?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Edit: Wait, this phone doesn't work with Verizon?!

Fatalah

How do you change the default circle in which Google+ shares?

Super annoying! Every time I share something using G+, the same circle is preselected.

Quasar

How do you change the default circle in which Google+ shares?

Super annoying! Every time I share something using G+, the same circle is preselected.

Not sure. Or rather...cant remember as I just use collections now. I thought the client just defaults to whatever I used last be it collection or circle

ElNino

Is the OnePlus 3 legit? My sister is really struggling on deciding between it and the Nexus 6P. It's much cheaper but is there a price to pay for that cheaper price? Will she regret the OP3 in 1.5 years as it turns sluggish or something ? What's their track record?

Not sure on the Verizon part, but it seems like a good phone to me. Admitedly, this is my first foray into the the world of Android, but I've been impressed so far.

The screen is good (despite some critics complaints I guess), battery life seems fine and the OS has been responsive. My brother still uses his OPO and has no need to upgrade, which is part of the reason why I decided to give the OP3 a shot. Not sure on OS update history though.

Saiyan-Rox

I've had mine for about a week now and so far i've had issues with the Wi-Fi staying connected and the software when it comes to setting a wallpaper as there's no proper way to move them around to make them fit.

Apart from this everything else has been perfect. I don't know why there was so much flack about the screen as I personally think it's fine but then again I never saw the issues with the Nexus 6 screen either.

their updates can take a bit yeah but tbh the OP phones are more of a custom ROM device. the only reason i'm still on stock is because i'm gonna wait till the custom ROMS get a bit more stable.

Also yeah it's GSM only no verizon afaik

ElNino

I've had mine for about a week now and so far i've had issues with the Wi-Fi staying connected and the software when it comes to setting a wallpaper as there's no proper way to move them around to make them fit.
Do you have Doze enabled? I noticed WiFi was sometimes not connected when turning the phone on after a bit and there was some performance lag when comming out of lock, but after disabling doze I haven't noticed those issues anymore, and battery life hasn't been impacted from what I can tell either.

Futureman

I enabled this and it didn't seem to help on NeoGAF? The ad at the top of the page on mobile GAF still takes a few seconds longer to load then the rest of the page and, for example, if I load the OT forum and go to touch the 2nd topic in OT, often the page will jump down and I accidentally touch the 1st topic. It never did this on iOS GAF mobile w/ Chrome.

Top Bottom