• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

919.gif

sigh

He's not in the U.S? Ive seen posts that made it seem like he is. Huawei is nothing there

PhoneMsShare_zps6vpl4pg5.png

Noema

I thought there was a Google app where you could hold your camera up to something and it would identify it? Or was that at I/O and it's a coming feature?

It's Google Now on Tap. If you have Marshmallow, hold down the Home button while pointing your camera and it'll try to identify what's on the viewfinder.

Asgaro

Checking out the Pokémon GO thread and reading up on the concept...
Perhaps that game could be an incentive for gamers to look for exceptional battery life on their next smartphone purchase lol.

Sony Xperia saved from the dead. neogaf_believe.gif

Have even read about people going out with power banks.

Checking out the Pokémon GO thread and reading up on the concept...
Perhaps that game could be an incentive for gamers to look for exceptional battery life on their next smartphone purchase lol.

Sony Xperia saved from the dead. neogaf_believe.gif

Have even read about people going out with power banks.

So I take it that it is a battery hog?

Talon

lmao Huawei
A few days ago, Huawei published what seemed an innocuous if typically touched-up promo photo proclaiming the photographic prowess of its P9 smartphone on Google+. What the person publishing this photo likely did not know is that Google+, like photo-sharing services such as Flickr, preserves the camera EXIF metadata in any image you post. First, the image.

0107 - Huawei - Facebook - Google - Instagram - Twitter

Lens flare being a matter of taste put aside, that's a great photo of a very attractive human being. The detail in the hair, especially, with the sun hitting the individual strands, is quite striking. And for a smartphone camera, that's downright impressive - edge detail like that can be very difficult to get right. But this photo is almost suspiciously noiseless and crisp. The light balance you can at least chalk up to editing after the fact, all but a given for smartphone camera promo shots, but the level of detail is indeed excellent.

A little too excellent. Well, perhaps not... given the contents of the EXIF data for the photo, which I've pasted below.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Focal Length: 135mm

Exposure: 1/800

F Number: f/4

ISO: 500

Camera make: Canon

Flash: Not used

Exposure Bias: -1 EV

A Canon 5D Mk. III - body only - currently runs $2600 on Amazon. The EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM lens? Oh, that's only $1,900. Oops.

Now, here's the out, and the one I kind of expect from Huawei's official response: the text for the accompanying social media post for this image never explicitly says the image was captured with the P9. But you'd be absolutely forgiven for thinking Huawei very much wants you to believe it was.

We managed to catch a beautiful sunrise with Deliciously Ella. The #HuaweiP9’s dual Leica cameras makes taking photos in low light conditions like this a pleasure. Reinvent smartphone photography and share your sunrise pictures with us. #OO

So, did Huawei come out and say this was a P9 photo directly? No. Do they want you to associate the P9's dual Leica camera performance and this image, per the statement about its abilities in low light conditions "like this?" Of course they do. That's marketing. And when a smartphone and a luxury brand team up to try and sell you something on the basis of a name, you should always be suspicious.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...le-but-exif-data-reveals-4500-camera-took-it/

China don't care.

Asgaro

So I take it that it is a battery hog?

I haven't really read complaints about that, so having the power bank is probably a drastic move or simply for devices with standard bad battery life.
Also, mobile data usage seems remarkably low.

However, the app has to be open and in the foreground to do stuff. As in: locking your phone will make it stop working.
Also only receive notifications/sounds while the app in foreground.
There's a dim function however so your display doesn't use as much power.

edit: Reports (on a Dutch tech forum) of people saying their battery is draining even though the charger is plugged in, while using this app.

what technology is this?

it's funny when I tell (non techy) people about my S7 being able to do wireless charging they think iPhone can do it as well. They seem shocked when I tell them it can't.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ss-charged-phone-for-as-soon-as-2017-ijz3i4si

it's basically this. I agree with apple that currently wireless charging is garbage. Not really wireless if it has to be tethered to something using a wire.

When that shit is ready it will be heavenly.

He's not in the U.S? Ive seen posts that made it seem like he is. Huawei is nothing there

HTC hangin in there lol...

Asgaro

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ss-charged-phone-for-as-soon-as-2017-ijz3i4si

it's basically this. I agree with apple that currently wireless charging is garbage. Not really wireless if it has to be tethered to something using a wire.

I would really have liked my current device to have the current wireless charging implementation (Qi).
In particular for in the car since I put my device in a smartphone holder anyway. Wireless charging holders are available.
It would be great to never having to plug in a cable again at home since all the necessary charging happens while driving.

Samsung Electronic profit guidance is for best Q2 in 2 years

Tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday its second-quarter operating profit likely rose 17.4 percent from a year earlier, its highest in more than 2 years as Galaxy S7 smartphone sales propelled mobile earnings.

"Firm Galaxy S7 sales and growth in sales of mid- to low-tier smartphones have strengthened the mobile divison's market power and profitability, underscoring the recovery in the company's smartphone competitiveness," Eugene Investment & Securities said in a report ahead of the earnings guidance.

Some analysts say Samsung shipped about 16 million Galaxy S7s in April-June, with a higher-priced curved-screen version outselling its flat-screen counterpart and boosting margins.

Lackluster sales of offerings from rivals such as Apple and LG Electronics helped to reduce Samsung's marketing expenses, they said.
oh snap!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Hitta93

Banned
For anyone who might have a Google Wallet account, does anyone know what exactly is the "bonus" you get from signing up to AmEx Serve and Simple?

Asgaro

Wait, what are those app buttons on the right called?

Pintasking.
XDA thread.

I use it to pin my most used apps so I can avoid going to the home screen in-between apps, or having to search in Recent Apps.

There's even more functionality than meets the eye: you can specify a border at the top of your touch screen (at left, right or middle), and when you swipe down from that specific location you can do an 'Alt-Tab' action (=return to previous app). Though this functionality will be redundant starting from Nougat, since there you can double-tap Recent Apps to do 'Alt-Tab'.

Although the app currently works fine and is polished, active development stopped since September 2015 it seems...
It still works on Marshmallow and hope it will on Nougat as well!

edit: Here's a gif I made a while ago.
(I changed my DPI in the meantime so that's why the 'pins' look much smaller in the screenshot above than in this older GIF.)
UY7omGk.gif

Going to be curious how they handle the next year if everything about iphone 2016 rumors are to be believed.

Expecting some highly erotic ads involving headphone jack insertions at the very least.
they'll probably be screwed but don't forget that samsung is likely going to be the major supplier of OLED displays so they will be big winners.

Groof

That's not even close to what I was alluding to.

If the only two markets you could think of was America and China you have a seriously narrow minded view of the world

Hey both got good results from this as I kinda agreed with the others here that it's value will tank but it was the best nexus since the 5 imo

Now to buy those PC parts I need :D

Yeah certainly will drop, but it's still a solid phone so has a good couple of years in it I feel.

Enjoy the parts! My funds have gone towards PSVR.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah certainly will drop, but it's still a solid phone so has a good couple of years in it I feel.

Enjoy the parts! My funds have gone towards PSVR.

Yeah it probably has but I can see it hitting a wall at somepoint.

Thanks! I have one of those ordered swell but I'm still in two minds over it cause Sony and peripherals don't really work same as any side project they do like the vita so I'm still pondering over it.

Dobsie

Would a Samsung Galaxy J3 be a noticeable upgrade over a 1st gen Moto G?

It's for my dad, he barely uses the Moto G but has been complaining of it completely locking up recently.

Blackhead

Redarse

Apple uses that 'garbage' wireless charging for their Watch.

Samsung Electronic profit guidance is for best Q2 in 2 years
Tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday its second-quarter operating profit likely rose 17.4 percent from a year earlier, its highest in more than 2 years as Galaxy S7 smartphone sales propelled mobile earnings.

"Firm Galaxy S7 sales and growth in sales of mid- to low-tier smartphones have strengthened the mobile divison's market power and profitability, underscoring the recovery in the company's smartphone competitiveness," Eugene Investment & Securities said in a report ahead of the earnings guidance.

Some analysts say Samsung shipped about 16 million Galaxy S7s in April-June, with a higher-priced curved-screen version outselling its flat-screen counterpart and boosting margins.

Lackluster sales of offerings from rivals such as Apple and LG Electronics helped to reduce Samsung's marketing expenses, they said.
oh snap!

Samsung is doomed
Thom Holwerda said:
Ben Thompson, 8 July, 2014
Ultimately, though, Samsung's fundamental problem is that they have no software-based differentiation, which means in the long run all they can do is compete on price. Perhaps they should ask HP or Dell how that goes..​
Dan Frommer, 31 July, 2014:
But we've seen this story before. This particular chart shows Nokia's adjusted closing price from the day Apple released the first iPhone, in 2007, to the day in 2013 when Microsoft announced it would acquire Nokia's struggling handset business.
[...]
For Samsung, there's no easy fix..​
Se Young Lee (and Ben Thompson again, curiously enough), 4 August, 2015:
The coming years are set to be more somber for the South Korean tech giant, as it is forced to slash prices and accept lower margins at its mobile division in order to see off competition from rivals including China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and Xiaomi Inc in the mid-to-low end of the market.
Behind Samsung's reality-check is the fact it is stuck with the same Android operating system used by its low-cost competitors, who are producing increasingly-capable phones of their own.
"The writing has long been on the wall for any premium Android maker: as soon as low end hardware became 'good enough,' there would be no reason to buy a premium brand," said Ben Thompson, an analyst at Stratechery.com in Taipei..​
Horace Dediu, 13 October, 2014:
So the short answer is that Samsung needs to create new categories or businesses. The challenge for them is that they need to control the platform and service infrastructure. These are currently out of their control and I’m not quite sure how they can regain that control..​
Fast-forward to today:
Samsung Electronics' earnings guidance for the second quarter of 2016 show the company expecting to record its strongest profits in more than two years.
[...]
The results suggest Samsung's best quarterly performance since it made an 8.49 trillion won operating profit in early 2014 before entering a slump that it's only recently started to bounce back from. The figures are preliminary, though Samsung is usually accurate in its forecasting.​

And our resident AndroidGAF industry insider:

Going to be curious how they handle the next year if everything about iphone 2016 rumors are to be believed.

Expecting some highly erotic ads involving headphone jack insertions at the very least.
they'll probably be screwed
Didn't you say the same thing this year?
-Pyromaniac said:
Samsung literally just launched the S7 and they're doing huge OEM funded sales right now across all carriers in canada (not sure about usa, never checked). Over 100 bucks off.

Aka their launch sales are absolutely horrible and they want to try to boost them so it doesn't look as bad when they announce their launch numbers. But it basically means the phone bombed worse than the s6 because those sales didn't start till later.
People don't think Apple is the only high end when they are dropping 700-800 US dollars on a Samsung. The s7 edge is selling very well in the US.

but below the s6 which was below the s5 etc...

Also I'm in a position to know that samsung has been constantly funding their own sales and price drops since the s7 launched and the only reason an OEM ever does that is to boost opening numbers because they're way lower than expected. So samsung is paying carriers to give that stuff away at lower prices.
the samsungs/LG/Sony/Motos/HTC/etc of world are not here to stay.

Well samsung might be because they make so much money outside of mobile that they can fund failing flagships forever. That's the real problem. All the profit is in the high end and the high end phones are all bombing hardcore because for people high end = iphone. Not that it's a bad thing for consumers, I always thought the best android phones were the ones of good quality and more affordable price. Nexus 5 still the best phone outside of shitty battery.
samsung is having a ton of trouble as well, just less than everyone else. They've been on a serious decline since the s4
samsung will definitely sink but I don't think it will make anyone else better. Literally all the major OEMs are sinking for the most part. Some ranging from extremely sinking to slowly but surely. Mostly the former.

What's the next explanation?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any news on Allo and Duo? Or does that come whenever Google decides to release N?
Yeah what happened to these things? I want to install yet another messenger app no one else I know will ever use.

Yeah what happened to these things? I want to install yet another messenger app no one else I know will ever use.

I think Duo has a ton of potential, and I want something akin to Skype but far more simple.

And I'm curious to see if the Allo experience is any kind of good and how the bot will integrate.

Futureman

I just got an S7... I don't agree that the current implementation is hot garbage but it's not much more than a nice convenience.

I guess one day wireless power will be so prevalent that you'll never have to "charge." Our devices will just be constantly kept at an ideal power level.

The way it is designed looks like they can make slots that support both or one or the other via a physical lockout.
Yeah hopefully they've made it as similar to microsd as possible.

It'll probably be exclusive to the high end phones, until UFS 2.0 becomes cheap enough.

No point in using emmc 5.1 with ufs cards, but who knows, might be a decent compromise for cheap phones.

Bboy AJ

I live in Europe and have never met anyone that uses Whatsapp. Everything is Facebook Messenger and sms in my region.
Everyone in Western Europe uses WhatsApp. It's annoying to me we don't have a universal sms that reflects society today. I have like six messenger apps because of it.

An open protocol with a public api to build apps on would be great. Like Twitter used to be. Everyone could have their own flavor but the messages would be universally interoperable.

yyzjohn

Banned
So if the specs for the new Nexii are already known, can't Google just surprise us and release it early, like before Sept/Oct. I really want to upgrade already.

ukas

Everyone in Western Europe uses WhatsApp. It's annoying to me we don't have a universal sms that reflects society today. I have like six messenger apps because of it.

An open protocol with a public api to build apps on would be great. Like Twitter used to be. Everyone could have their own flavor but the messages would be universally interoperable.

They tried with XMPP, Google even gave up on it. The problem is, everyone thinks they can do better.

Asbel

Pintasking.
XDA thread.

I use it to pin my most used apps so I can avoid going to the home screen in-between apps, or having to search in Recent Apps.

There's even more functionality than meets the eye: you can specify a border at the top of your touch screen (at left, right or middle), and when you swipe down from that specific location you can do an 'Alt-Tab' action (=return to previous app). Though this functionality will be redundant starting from Nougat, since there you can double-tap Recent Apps to do 'Alt-Tab'.

Although the app currently works fine and is polished, active development stopped since September 2015 it seems...
It still works on Marshmallow and hope it will on Nougat as well!

edit: Here's a gif I made a while ago.
(I changed my DPI in the meantime so that's why the 'pins' look much smaller in the screenshot above than in this older GIF.)
UY7omGk.gif
Cool idea but the pins dissappear when u turn off the screen in free version. Sigh..

Asgaro

Cool idea but the pins dissappear when u turn off the screen in free version. Sigh..

Pins do disappear if you restart the device. (Sadly)

Pins disappearing after turning off the screen, I don't remember seeing, even within the free version.
But I just checked the recent reviews and lots of people indeed describe the issue you have...

It must be my social circle, or Scandinavia being focused mainly on Factbook, then.

But yes, a public api would be the best, so no one will do it.

Top Bottom