• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Could you tell me more about your Gear S2? I want a smartwatch with GPS for my runs but the options are limited. I know nothing about Tizen but I am in love with my Galaxy Tab S2 and maybe I could invest more in Samsung products.

It has Here maps, but I don't really use it at all. I'm not 100% sure about the GPS functionality though. A quick Google search states the Gear S2 3G has GPS though so maybe you wanna look into that.

My battery life tanks whenever I enable location on my phone. Really disappointing because without it I don't seem to get Google Opinion surveys as often if at all and then I have to remember to enable it again if I go for a walk and if I forget to turn it off afterwards my battery will go straight to hell.

wilflare

My battery life tanks whenever I enable location on my phone. Really disappointing because without it I don't seem to get Google Opinion surveys as often if at all and then I have to remember to enable it again if I go for a walk and if I forget to turn it off afterwards my battery will go straight to hell.

do you switch on Device Only mode or Battery Saver?

Were you using a USB 3.0 Drive and a USB 3.0 Port?

Yup. My external HD is 3.0 and my port is 3.0. Both blue and I just installed the drivers on my motherboard. The port wasn't even working until I installed the correct driver. Like I said though it's definitely faster, but not as much as I would have thought.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh damn he's back.
:D

Except for that overheating 810.

Not with that infamous SnapDragon 810 chip inside.
Yeah the 810 stinks. It is fine day to day but you can definitely notice the heat issues slowing you down when multitasking. That said, the 6P is still a great phone. Will the new SD be that much better than the 810? Is it a huge leap or does it fix the heat issues?

The 2017 iPhone is on my radar.

Yeah the 810 stinks. It is fine day to day but you can definitely notice the heat issues slowing you down when multitasking. That said, the 6P is still a great phone. Will the new SD be that much better than the 810? Is it a huge leap or does it fix the heat issues?

Are you that naive? Both chips have been getting talked about on here for how long now.

It is well known the 810 was a misstep. The 820 is nothing amazing but it is almost double the single core performance, the best gpu on the market and doesn't have heat/throttle issues like the 810.

The 820 is a pretty good replacement, having zero heat issues when gaming and battery life is good too.

Groof

I could see myself upgrading if they bring back wireless charging. And they have a white version that I can actually buy.

They best keep the camera quality going too. The 6p consistently takes great shots, even though it's slow.

I could see myself upgrading if they bring back wireless charging. And they have a white version that I can actually buy.

They best keep the camera quality going too. The 6p consistently takes great shots, even though it's slow.

Aluminium body means wireless charging is dead for now. No one cares about it enough to adopt it to metal bodies.

At least not until Apple does it and declares how magical wireless charging is. Then everyone and their mother starts to copy it.

Thank you, Apple. I can't wait for your unicorn phone next year.

Hello Gafness my old friend, I've come to ask about Android phones again.

I need another phone, and these are the options:

LG G4 or Nexus 5X 32gb.

Groof

Aluminium body means wireless charging is dead for now. No one cares about it enough to adopt it to metal bodies.

At least not until Apple does it and declares how magical wireless charging is. Then everyone and their mother starts to copy it.

Thank you, Apple. I can't wait for your unicorn phone next year.

Look at the size of the glass window, enough for them to fit in wireless charging behind that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are you that naive? Both chips have been getting talked about on here for how long now.

It is well known the 810 was a misstep. The 820 is nothing amazing but it is almost double the single core performance, the best gpu on the market and doesn't have heat/throttle issues like the 810.
So it isn't a big deal. It is literally a chip that's a year old without heat issues. BFD. Also, naive doesn't mean what you think it means.

#team6P

Look at the size of the glass window, enough for them to fit in wireless charging behind that.
Yep but those puck chargers won't work. It would be imbalanced. Likely need a differently shaped charger with coils at an end instead of centered.

Found a new Galaxy S7 for 499€. As my Nexus 5 continues to wear down (iffy wireless charging, 3 cracks in the frame), it's getting really tough to pass on deals like that. Especially a couple of weeks before my vacation, where I really don’t want to run around with a powerbank to make it through the day.

I have a hard time believing that it's really a window and not just glass slapped on aluminum, to make the design a bit more distinctive.

Yep but those puck chargers won't work. It would be imbalanced. Likely need a differently shaped charger with coils at an end instead of centered.

I’d rather deal with that than not having Qi at all. I only have cheap plates anyway and could rearrange the coil if necessary.

Why is that? That's how it works on the 6p so why would this be different

You mean the visor?

2wUcaG6.jpg

There's still aluminum beneath it and wireless charging still wouldn't work through that. It would have to be plastic.

I still think Apple isn't doing wireless charging until the true wireless charging solution is ready. Latest reliable report says it might be next year but I'd be surprised. But 2017/2018 could be it. Being able to have an adapter in a room and the phone charging as soon as you enter even if it's in your pocket or anywhere really is game changing.

Groof

You mean the visor?

2wUcaG6.jpg

There's still aluminum beneath it and wireless charging still wouldn't work through that. It would have to be plastic.

oh word? Didn't know that.

The 6p is quite durable though. Slipped out of my pocket last night and hit the concrete. Slight dent on the corner, nothing serious.

Asgaro

I've been using this app Carat for quite a while now. It gives recommendations on which apps are biggest battery hogs.
After about a week of collecting data you also get a score regarding battery life, compared to all other devices in their database.
I get 87/100. (Sony Xperia Z3C)

They recently started with questionnaires.
Hoping something useful comes out of this. At least it isn't fishy since it's a university project.

(Also, it says it takes 5 to 15 min. within the app, but (at least this first) questionnaire took only a minute. 9 questions.
Problem if you're a student though: you had to give your income category (no real numbers) and well, I don't have a job.)

Bboy AJ

Sounds like something you should be paid for.

Futureman

I still think Apple isn't doing wireless charging until the true wireless charging solution is ready. Latest reliable report says it might be next year but I'd be surprised. But 2017/2018 could be it. Being able to have an adapter in a room and the phone charging as soon as you enter even if it's in your pocket or anywhere really is game changing.

what technology is this?

it's funny when I tell (non techy) people about my S7 being able to do wireless charging they think iPhone can do it as well. They seem shocked when I tell them it can't.

So it isn't a big deal. It is literally a chip that's a year old without heat issues. BFD. Also, naive doesn't mean what you think it means.

#team6P

That 6p wont have shit for resale value since it will be struggling to run software sooner than later. It wont have Google's new branding which will also hurt resale value. No body knows who the hell huawei is. Oh and the 6p bends even with a case on.

The iPhone 7 is an even worse option since all your thunderbolt headphones will be expensive as fuck and every song you listen through them will be drm. Buying into Apples games is suicide imo.

Upgrade to the 2016 Nexus 6.

Groof

That 6p wont have shit for resale value since it will be struggling to run software sooner than later. It wont have Google's new branding which will also hurt resale value. No body knows who the hell huawei is. Oh and the 6p bends even with a case on.

wrong

Futureman

I thought there was a Google app where you could hold your camera up to something and it would identify it? Or was that at I/O and it's a coming feature?

longdi

Banned
Afaik, G4 has boot loop problems, aka your motherboard will die one day.
6p has crappy structural integrity, bends easily, besides the ovesizing and 810 shitpu.

Get the S7e or Huawei p9 or m8.
Otherwise i feel Note7 is looking like a winner takes all flagship!

FFP2

So it seems like the Moto X Play is getting discontinued over here lmao I have all the luck.

Is the Z5 Compact any good? Sony seemed to have fixed the build quality issues of the Z3 but it has the dreaded 810 and the camera seems a little mediocre. At least it isn't massive.

I need some help with finding a clock widget, or telling me I'm crazy and it doesn't exist.

I want a clock that is on a black background and the actual clock is transparent, so that I can stretch out the background of the clock so the black background can cover roughly 3/4 of my screen, so I can just leave the far right side to slot in a bunch of app icons.

I specifically want it so the clock part is transparent so that I can have a cool designed background that would just peak through as the digits of the clock and also on the right side behind where my apps are.

I hope I'm describing this well enough. Haha.

Edit: Yay! The add showed up again. Haha.

I want my home screen to look like this, but I want to run my apps on the side.

Top Bottom