• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Groof

It must be my social circle, or Scandinavia being focused mainly on Factbook, then.

But yes, a public api would be the best, so no one will do it.

I can vouch for this, at least here in Sweden. Whatsapp was big once but these days it's p much facebook messenger only.

Talon

I think you're missing the point. We'll need to look at mobile revenues to fully grok if they're done a real turnaround.

They peaked at 36.57 trillion Won in Q2 2013. Q1 2016 was 27.6 trillion Won for comparison. If they exceed that, you can crow.

I need some help with finding a clock widget, or telling me I'm crazy and it doesn't exist.

I want a clock that is on a black background and the actual clock is transparent, so that I can stretch out the background of the clock so the black background can cover roughly 3/4 of my screen, so I can just leave the far right side to slot in a bunch of app icons.

I specifically want it so the clock part is transparent so that I can have a cool designed background that would just peak through as the digits of the clock and also on the right side behind where my apps are.

I hope I'm describing this well enough. Haha.

Edit: Yay! The add showed up again. Haha.

I want my home screen to look like this, but I want to run my apps on the side.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Apple uses that 'garbage' wireless charging for their Watch.

Samsung is doomed
And our resident AndroidGAF industry insider:

Didn't you say the same thing this year?
What's the next explanation?
nothing I said is untrue...? Every single year the quarter after a big phone launch is good.

This is a nuanced discussion. Market share is ok but what's the mix? I happen to know for a fact that their flagship lines aka the ones they make the most profit off of aren't doing as well as they used to. They ALWAYS do well the quarter after launching..why wouldn't they? It's a brand new device. Problem is they have trouble sustaining it and there is always a rapid drop.

I'm not saying the company is having trouble, they just aint makin as much money off an android as they used to be. They're rich as fuck though. They can decline for the next decade and still make phones.

This is a company that once blamed the company I work for for the poor sales of one of their phones because it was priced 1 penny higher than the iphone. Samsung is always skewing or straight up lying about their sales numbers. Or using shipped numbers instead of sold through to consumers. Their cheap phones are spreading but the problem is they don't make much money off of those.

Why in gods name would an OEM be funding sales if their phone was selling fine on their own. Can you imagine apple or huawei paying giving carriers money to discount their phones? lol. Samsung needs to do it to boost their first quarter numbers in hopes that it will drive momentum. Funding their own sales isn't sustainable but it's a good turbocharger. Problem is it doesn't usually work. Maybe it's working this time. We'll have to see in Q3/Q4. It's the same reason they stagger their galaxy S line and Note line. They know the S line drops like crazy after launch so they hope the note line picks up the slack until the next S phone.

Samsung is not 'doomed' in that they will wrap it up next year. Look at how abysmal HTC is and they are still lingering. Samsung has enough money to linger until I'm old. I bet you're one of those people who thought BB would never fail or MS would be losing the PC market or whatever else. Samsung is lucky in that the rest of their business is pretty damn successful. They're probably going to make tons on iphone shipments next year just from supplying OLED. Doesn't change the fact that they have a lot of trouble moving their flagship phones.

I'm sure those 450 dollar phones 1 month after a launch are a sign of much success. They'll tout the great numbers like they always do the quarter after launch and then a little later the reports will come out that they're struggling to sell em. Happens every year and people fall for it every year.

I think you're missing the point. We'll need to look at mobile revenues to fully grok if they're done a real turnaround.

They peaked at 36.57 trillion Won in Q2 2013. Q1 2016 was 27.6 trillion Won for comparison. If they exceed that, you can crow.
this man gets it

But again, samsung will be fine for years and years to come but being in denial about what's happening here is what leads to MS/BB scenarios. MS is smart that they've pivoted to cloud and services so even if the windows pc market is on a sharp decline they'll be solid.

edit: They can turn it around though. Who knows? Maybe this is the year. I don't see it though. Especially if the rumours are true about next years iphone. Samsung is also lucky in that the other android OEMs are straight garbage. But yeah they always tout strong numbers after launch, it's later in the year where we learn what's up. Consistency is key. I personally don't believe any numbers coming from samsung unless they're as explicit as possible. They just usually aren't. They'll say "mobile division" did this much money or sold this much and they'll tout strong sales of the s7 but they won't actually say how many sold through. I hope they do though. Would be nice to know so we can compare to later in the year.

It's funny because I actually hope this isn't a one off quarter and it grows quarter over quarter for the next year or two. That would turn up the heat in a nice way. I genuinely don't have that much pride, if their next 3 quarters see profit growth from their mobile division I'll eat crow hardcore breh.

Quasar

Everyone in Western Europe uses WhatsApp. It's annoying to me we don't have a universal sms that reflects society today. I have like six messenger apps because of it.

An open protocol with a public api to build apps on would be great. Like Twitter used to be. Everyone could have their own flavor but the messages would be universally interoperable.

I think those days are over. Email, irc and sms are the last of their breed. Now its all siloed sytems. We cant even have a next gen adium to make the issue a littke easier.

btw for canadians out there I think the nexus phones got delayed to near the end of october. It was the beginning of October before. Not sure if that's worldwide or just a carrier thing.

Just wondering. Are there any decent battery cases for the 5X?
I tried googling and wow there really isn't one lol. 6P looks like it got one recently :/

Valkrai

Picked up a cheap Moto E. Though for some reason, Google Play says Pokemon Go is incompatible with it, despite it being on Lollipop.

Anyone know why its causing this issue?

Noema

Picked up a cheap Moto E. Though for some reason, Google Play says Pokemon Go is incompatible with it, despite it being on Lollipop.

Anyone know why its causing this issue?

I'm pretty sure Pokémon Go requires a compass and/or gyroscope.

The Moto E has neither.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think those days are over. Email, irc and sms are the last of their breed. Now its all siloed sytems. We cant even have a next gen adium to make the issue a littke easier.
Just need someone to build it. But it hasn't been done. There's no money.

Valkrai

I'm pretty sure Pokémon Go requires a compass and/or gyroscope.

The Moto E has neither.

The one I have (2nd gen) has GPS but still unavailable to download.

Edit: Looked at the official requirements. It does need GPS but says nothing about a compass.

studyguy

Wonder if this will get an unlocked bootloader.
Seems okay to fuck around with.

61YPrkEcQPL._SL1000_.jpg

Noema

The one I have (2nd gen) has GPS but still unavailable to download.

Edit: Looked at the official requirements. It does need GPS but says nothing about a compass.

I'm 99% sure the game needs a compass to determine your orientation and a gyro to determine your phone's relationship to the ground.

That 6p wont have shit for resale value since it will be struggling to run software sooner than later. It wont have Google's new branding which will also hurt resale value. Nobody knows who the hell huawei is. Oh and the 6p bends even with a case on.

The iPhone 7 is an even worse option since all your thunderbolt headphones will be expensive as fuck and every song you listen through them will be drm. Buying into Apples games is suicide imo.

Upgrade to the 2016 Nexus 6p.

This, especially when the Google Nexus 2016 will have even better hardware & 4 GB's of RAM. Plus it'll have Android Nougat as standard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
why in gods name would an OEM be funding sales if their phone was selling fine on their own. Can you imagine apple or huawei paying giving carriers money to discount their phones? lol. Samsung needs to do it to boost their first quarter numbers in hopes that it will drive momentum. Funding their own sales isn't sustainable but it's a good turbocharger. Problem is it doesn't usually work. Maybe it's working this time. We'll have to see in Q3/Q4. It's the same reason they stagger their galaxy S line and Note line. They know the S line drops like crazy after launch so they hope the note line picks up the slack until the next S phone.

I'm sure those 450 dollar phones 1 month after a launch are a sign of much success. They'll tout the great numbers like they always do the quarter after launch and then a little later the reports will come out that they're struggling to sell em. Happens every year and people fall for it every year.

Which carriers are getting money to sell the phones cheaply? Because the edge is still like $800 on at&t. Also, where other than the resale market, can I get an edge for $450?

I'm looking at Android phones to eventually replace my LG G3 and I'm a little annoyed by how the market is becoming more niche and feature-rich phones are becoming a thing of the past. Finding a phone that has all the following features:

-Top of the line processor (S820 or equivalent).
-Good camera.
-Removable battery.
-MicroSD memory expansion.
-Fingerprint scanner.
-Wireless charging.
-IR blaster.
-Multi-tasking (Dual Window mode).
-Water and dust resistance.

Before you tell me it's not possible, there was a phone that ticked all these boxes, the Galaxy S5 back in 2014. Besides for an (easily-addable) Qi charging back, it had everything. If I could get that phone with the Galaxy S7's camera, processor and fingerprint scanner, I would. Honestly, I'd pay premium price for it.

Some what am I left with in 2016?

I like that LG phones still have removable batteries and an IR blaster, but for the G5 they dropped wireless charging and (inexplicably) Dual Window mode. And they're not water resistant. The Sony Xperia phones get close, but no removable battery, wireless charging, or IR scanner. The one that has the most features I want is the Galaxy S7, but this year they dropped the IR blaster, which sucks because the S6 apparently had a great one, and dropped removable batteries with the S6. It's not a huge loss, but I just find it puzzling that I'm going to end up getting the S7 basically by default. It's a little boring that the most feature-rich Android phone is also the market leader. Why is no one attacking Samsung on this front by delivering a phone that has more features? We saw that it was possible with the S5.

People will tell me that I'm too demanding and, like I said, I'm going to eventually end up compromising. I'm just puzzled by why, feature-wise, the Android phone market appears to have peaked in 2014.

thuway

If the new Nexus is really going to be 5.5 inches, I'm going to buy the 6P at the discounted rates. It's probably too late to hope for it, but I really do want a 5.7 inch phone at the minimum, it is a deal breaker for me.

yyzjohn

Banned
If the new Nexus is really going to be 5.5 inches, I'm going to buy the 6P at the discounted rates. It's probably too late to hope for it, but I really do want a 5.7 inch phone at the minimum, it is a deal breaker for me.

I've never had a phone bigger than 5.2" so 5.5 will feel like a nice screen size for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Asgaro

Please. Someone get this guy a tablet over here!

ikuze

Can someone help me, please?

I'm not able to do anything with Google Play Games anymore. Whenever I start the App or any App that uses Google Play Games LogIn data, it says that the launch of the activity is blocked. I then have to enter a pattern. However, after entering the pattern, everything is still locked. If I do that in a game, I get into a never ending loop, asking for my pattern. The Google Play Games app on the other hand completely freezes.
The thing is, I don't even have apps hidden or blocked behind a pattern, so I have no idea why my phone asks me everytime. I just checked the list of the blocked/hidden apps again, and nothing is checked there.

Here is a video of my attempt to use my Google LogIn for a game
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67121160/opo/Screencast_2016-07-01-21-52-09.mp4

And here is a screenshot of the Google Play Games App after they asked me to enter the pattern
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67121160/opo/Screenshot_20160709-134814.png

Sorry, they are in German, but you get the idea.

Oh and I'm using the OnePlus One with the latest COS update.
I really want to play Pokémon GO :(

I'm looking at Android phones to eventually replace my LG G3 and I'm a little annoyed by how the market is becoming more niche and feature-rich phones are becoming a thing of the past. Finding a phone that has all the following features:

-Good camera.
-Removable battery.
-Fingerprint scanner.
-Wireless charging.
-IR blaster.

Before you tell me it's not possible, there was a phone that ticked all these boxes, the Galaxy S5 back in 2014. Besides for an (easily-addable) Qi charging back, it had everything. If I could get that phone with the Galaxy S7's camera, processor and fingerprint scanner, I would. Honestly, I'd pay premium price for it.

I like that LG phones still have removable batteries and an IR blaster, but for the G5 they dropped wireless charging and (inexplicably) Dual Window mode. And they're not water resistant. The Sony Xperia phones get close, but no removable battery, wireless charging, or IR scanner. The one that has the most features I want is the Galaxy S7, but this year they dropped the IR blaster, which sucks because the S6 apparently had a great one, and dropped removable batteries with the S6. It's not a huge loss, but I just find it puzzling that I'm going to end up getting the S7 basically by default. It's a little boring that the most feature-rich Android phone is also the market leader. Why is no one attacking Samsung on this front by delivering a phone that has more features? We saw that it was possible with the S5.

People will tell me that I'm too demanding and, like I said, I'm going to eventually end up compromising. I'm just puzzled by why, feature-wise, the Android phone market appears to have peaked in 2014.

S5 was a classic. Fuck the haters. It had everything. Get S7 edge.

when you count all the positives from s7 there is no competition.

Furyous

-Good camera.
-Removable battery.
-Fingerprint scanner.
-Wireless charging.
-IR blaster.

^^^^^^^^^^ MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER WITH A DIFFERENT RACE.

People in here claim bitching about IR blasters is useless but now we have anecdotal proof that I am not the only person that wants these features. Someone PM that guy that said he hates people that bitch about IR blasters and tell me I said holla.

I'm fighting the urge to buy an LG G5 because the build quality is shit and battery life is sus at best. I need a new device but I want something Daydream compatible. My choices are the G5, OP3 because 400 bucks, and the Z5C. All of these are 400 bucks. The G5 comes with everything including an FM radio, USB 3.0, USB C, and supports 24-bit audio. It lacks wireless charging and IP68 certification. Help me AndroidGAF.

Does someone make a 3000 or 4000 mah removable battery for the G5?

Voror

Planning on setting up my own plan with a carrier to get off my family's plan now that I've moved out. Currently have an LG G3 and like it quite a bit, but figure I'll have to get a new one when I sign up as well as being about due for an upgrade anyway.

Just a bit undecided on what direction to go. I've heard nothing but good things about the S7 Edge and more mixed about the G5. Other models I'm unsure of.

Any recommendations based on experience? Not sure if choice of carrier will matter with this. Currently on a Verizon plan but in Austin I've largely been recommended AT&T (have internet through them) or Sprint.

Yea the G5 definitely does not have a 24 bit DAC. One of the worst headphone jacks I've ever used. The only good sound it can provide is through the $200 LG Tone Platinum wireless headphone.

Husker86

Can someone help me, please?

I'm not able to do anything with Google Play Games anymore. Whenever I start the App or any App that uses Google Play Games LogIn data, it says that the launch of the activity is blocked. I then have to enter a pattern. However, after entering the pattern, everything is still locked. If I do that in a game, I get into a never ending loop, asking for my pattern. The Google Play Games app on the other hand completely freezes.
The thing is, I don't even have apps hidden or blocked behind a pattern, so I have no idea why my phone asks me everytime. I just checked the list of the blocked/hidden apps again, and nothing is checked there.

Here is a video of my attempt to use my Google LogIn for a game
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67121160/opo/Screencast_2016-07-01-21-52-09.mp4

And here is a screenshot of the Google Play Games App after they asked me to enter the pattern
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67121160/opo/Screenshot_20160709-134814.png

Sorry, they are in German, but you get the idea.

Oh and I'm using the OnePlus One with the latest COS update.
I really want to play Pokémon GO :(

So your phone is able to have apps blocked behind a pattern and something is being blocked behind a pattern? There is some state issues going on there; something is out of sync with the settings. That definitely isn't any sort of normal Android behavior.

I'd say either check and uncheck all Google related stuff, or reset your phone.

S5 was a classic. Fuck the haters. It had everything. Get S7 edge.

when you count all the positives from s7 there is no competition.
Yeah, it's almost boring it's also the best selling one. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, aiming for minimal bezels is definitely a plus, just esthetics wise. LG used to be the best at that, but have gotten worse with every phone. Sony's bezels on the X Performance look like frames. These days only Samsung and Huawei are trying. And while there are some nice Huaweis like the P9 Plus, none worth getting considering the features I'm looking for. It just blows my mind, it's such a competitive market. Other OEMs should be falling over themselves to say they deliver more features. I guess they've done their research to determine that weirdos like me who want an IR blaster don't matter anymore and you can say it's to save space, but the S6 was smaller and had it, the damn Xiaomi mi5 has one.

^^^^^^^^^^ MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER WITH A DIFFERENT RACE.

People in here claim bitching about IR blasters is useless but now we have anecdotal proof that I am not the only person that wants these features. Someone PM that guy that said he hates people that bitch about IR blasters and tell me I said holla...
IR blasters are the shit. Since I got charging packs for my Xbox controllers I'm determined to not buy batteries anymore. I can control every device with it. Even my old Bluetooth speakers that use a weird thin remote and round aluminium batteries. I'm not buying those. It's almost ridiculously convenient to be able to control the speakers on the same screen you set the music. I've had people justify the removal of the IR blaster by saying apps, like for controlling your Smart TV, can be used. It's like dude, that's so much less convenient and you're admitting remotes suck. Such an underrated feature.

jdavid459

What are the best current 5 in or smaller android phones? I really need a new phone but it seems every flagship is 5.5in...why??

ikuze

So your phone is able to have apps blocked behind a pattern and something is being blocked behind a pattern? There is some state issues going on there; something is out of sync with the settings. That definitely isn't any sort of normal Android behavior.

I'd say either check and uncheck all Google related stuff, or reset your phone.

It actually says that the launch of "Google Play Services" got blocked. I checked every option there is, a few times, but I just can't find where it's getting blocked. Sigh...
I was hoping to not reset my phone, because I hate setting up all again :(

What are the best current 5 in or smaller android phones? I really need a new phone but it seems every flagship is 5.5in...why??
The S7 is 5.1" inches and that's probably the smallest you can currently get while still maintaining flagship quality performance. You could also look at something like the Z5 Compact, but the specs are kind of crappy due to the 810 chipset and I feel like the price is too high. The newest Nexus that will release in September/October is supposed to be a 5 inch phone.

Top Bottom