• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hitta93

Banned
Anyone want to recceomend the best 1080p phones on the market? More importantly, the phones with the best battery life?

I don't know about other 2K phones, but only 8 hrs on heavy usage on the G4 is pretty bad.

reKon

Banned
Anyone want to recceomend the best 1080p phones on the market? More importantly, the phones with the best battery life?

I don't know about other 2K phones, but only 8 hrs on heavy usage on the G4 is pretty bad.

The Galaxy S7 Edge has the best battery life (as in BETTER than 1080p phones with good battery life), likely the best camera, and has top tier performance. The better version is the Int'l version of the phone, which has been dropped in price off contract over the past few months. It has around a 15-20% boost in battery life and overall performance over the US counterpart, but worse GPU performance.

There are plenty of great 1080p phones, but the the Edge has better battery life than them even with the 2K screen so...

The Xiaomi Mi 5 is also a 1080p phone with excellent battery life, but I'm going guess that you don't live in Asia

Jeffrey

the s7 active has a 4000mah battery. but its only at&T?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Clamoring about IR blasters demonstrates just how stagnant our wireless technology has been.

Hitta93

Banned
The Galaxy S7 Edge has the best battery life (as in BETTER than 1080p phones with good battery life), likely the best camera, and has top tier performance. The better version is the Int'l version of the phone, which has been dropped in price off contract over the past few months. It has around a 15-20% boost in battery life and overall performance over the US counterpart, but worse GPU performance.

There are plenty of great 1080p phones, but the the Edge has better battery life than them even with the 2K screen so...

The Xiaomi Mi 5 is also a 1080p phone with excellent battery life, but I'm going guess that you don't live in Asia

the s7 active has a 4000mah battery. but its only at&T?
TMobile user. American citizen.

I'm guessing the S7 would be the next best option? I don't want to pay extra for a gimmick.

longdi

Banned
TMobile user. American citizen.

I'm guessing the S7 would be the next best option? I don't want to pay extra for a gimmick.

S7 edge imo, it is not really that much bigger than S7. About the size of the old HTC M8, slightly taller, still more compact that Ip6S+

Sure the curved edge might take some getting used to, but the larger screen and battery is well worth it.

S7 active failing the water resistance test! http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-fails-its-consumer-reports-dunk-test-1324635

MANUELF

Banned
Any tip to be able to install an application? I have been trying to install Pokemon Go for over 4 hours and it gets stuck in the installing screen until my phone restarts and three times it have told me that it couldnt get installed, tried to download tubebear vp from the google store but while installing it would tell me I didnt have enough space even if I had over 250 MB, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core 2

Asgaro

Any tip to be able to install an application? I have been trying to install Pokemon Go for over 4 hours and it gets stuck in the installing screen until my phone restarts and three times it have told me that it couldnt get installed, tried to download tubebear vp from the google store but while installing it would tell me I didnt have enough space even if I had over 250 MB, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core 2

What is your Android version? GSMArena says you should have 4.4.2 ( http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_core_ii-6331.php ) but maybe that information isn't up-to-date, so that's why I'm asking.

Pokémon Go requires 4.4.4 and above... See https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/221958248-Supported-devices

(Can't help regarding the Tubebear issue)

MANUELF

Banned

Jeffrey

Not sure what the end statement means

That said I suspect Apple is feeling a lot more confident about the iPhone 7 Plus right now…

its not like this year's iphone is offering that much goodies unless removing the headphone jack is a positive lol.

What determines the scaling of stuff on android? If you put 2 android phones of the same size but different resolutions (1080p vs 1440p), would they look different, like how you change the resolution on pc monitor?

Is this up to the vendors or is it something normal people can tinker with?

Asgaro

What determines the scaling of stuff on android? If you put 2 android phones of the same size but different resolutions (1080p vs 1440p), would they look different, like how you change the resolution on pc monitor?

Is this up to the vendors or is it something normal people can tinker with?

It's determined by the DPI value. When apps developers create apps, I think they target DPIs instead of resolutions.

You can change the DPI yourself. There's both a non-rooted and rooted way. The last one should be more robust since it's a "more native" way of changing the DPI. I read the non-rooted way can make some apps look weird.
However I use the non-rooted method since a few months now and have no issues.
Non-rooted method: http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-...creen-resolution-without-root-access-0160439/

Also note that:
- high DPI = low screen density = less information.
- low DPI = high screen density = more information.

Different screen display sizes:
it seems it is the case that, the larger your screen size, the lower the screen density compared to a device with smaller screen size! Check comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/43kh3z/dpi_comparison_of_different_phones/

That's why I found people with large displays a hilarious sight to see because the buttons and everything are so large, it's like you use an elderly-targeted interface.

(edit: Android Nougat will allow the change DPI from within Settings. Will be 3 options I think. However, there is only 1 option that goes smaller, and all the other are to go larger.
So I assume I'll still have to resort to manual DPI commands to get my wanted small DPI value.)

Try to guess both the display size and the screen resolution based on these screens. Answer in spoiler tags below.
Gk9fhxg.png

Display size: 4.6".
Screen resolution: 720x1280 (720p).

(DPI is set at 260. Default being 320.)

I personally think it's redundant to buy anything over 720p if you don't watch movies or YT content frequently.
I can see it being useful to go 1080p+ if you are already balls deep into VR.
For the moment I prefer amazing battery life.

I also sometimes read "720p is bad because you see dem pixels". This is false. You do not see pixels.
(My eye sight isn't bad. I put all my text (both within OS and within apps) on very small (due to low DPI). My environment jokes about it being so small.)

edit: You will see the pixels if you use VR. That I can confirm.

edit:
DPI comparison I made a while back, for DPI 300, 280, 260, 240.
Note the fact DPI 240 is so low that the tablet layout gets triggered lol: the button locations change.

Jeffrey

It's determined by the DPI value. When apps developers create apps, I think they target DPIs instead of resolutions.

thanks!

yeah been liking how android looks at 1440p scaling wise, but outside of google cardboard, i'm not really seeing anything in day to day usage compared to my 1080p iphone 6+, except shittier battery lol.

huh seems like you can install 3rd party lock screens just fine on the ad supported amazon with ad phones.

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-...om-blu-r1-hd-moto-g4-without-rooting-0172082/

Groof

good 1080p displays are enough usually, 1440p is just nice to have. but saying that you can't see pixels on 720p? either you're on a teensy display size or you've never used anything higher res

Asgaro

No problem.
And forgot to mention: if you do start to experiment with DPI, do not start with my DPI values as baseline. Since each device's default DPI can vary greatly, check what's yours is and then experiment with step sizes of 20 or 40 or so.

Asgaro

good 1080p displays are enough usually, 1440p is just nice to have. but saying that you can't see pixels on 720p? either you're on a teensy display size or you've never used anything higher res

Ok, I can see myself exaggerating here. I should check with a 1080p device first.

bob page

Does anyone know how to get panoramic photos to show up in the 360 viewer when uploaded to Facebook? I've tried modifying the EXIF data but it still ends up uploading kind of screwy (weird distortion & clipping). I took a few on my Nexus 6P using Google Camera.

I personally think it's redundant to buy anything over 720p if you don't watch movies or YT content frequently.
I can see it being useful to go 1080p+ if you are already balls deep into VR.
For the moment I prefer amazing battery life.

I agree; 2K should be more than enough on phones & tablets right now. It's not like a lot of stuff would go beyond Native 1080p at this point.

Going 4K on phones & tablets would not only go overboard, but will also kill your battery life a lot faster in the process (even more so than 2K) such as on those shiny new Samsung smartphones & tablets. Until such technology gets to the point where going 4K won't kill off your battery life faster than normal, then we should be needing it. There's a reason why Apple hasn't jumped forward beyond 1080p as of yet.

I agree; 2K should be more than enough on phones & tablets right now. It's not like a lot of stuff would go beyond Native 1080p at this point.

Going 4K on phones & tablets would not only go overboard, but will also kill your battery life a lot faster in the process (even more so than 2K) such as on those shiny new Samsung smartphones & tablets.

but those shiny new 2K screened Samsung smartphones have better battery life than the 1080p phones.

Quite a few places import the Mi5, I got my 128GB Pro from eGlobal for £330, admittedly you have to check your bands as it's missing band 20/800MHZ which can be a pain.

Furyous

I want an LG G5.
Can I expect the price to go down anytime soon? $600 is a lot of money.

It's $459 on Amazon.

Hey Aegaro, thanks for the post. It's actually quite informative but I disagree due to personal preference. I need a device to last as long as possible so 720p is not going to hold up over three years receiving full OEM software updates. I'm better off waiting for a device with 1080p or 2K so that if it loses support the hardware will not age so bad that the device is unusable.

Can anyone with a 720p device like say the Z5C increase the resolution to 750p and post some feedback?

reKon

Banned
Quite a few places import the Mi5, I got my 128GB Pro from eGlobal for £330, admittedly you have to check your bands as it's missing band 20/800MHZ which can be a pain.

Yeah that's the one big issue. If it had 12 band support, I think that this would definitely be my next choice of phone because it has a good size, outstanding battery life, and I honestly think that it's one of the best looking flagships out.

Asgaro

Hey Aegaro, thanks for the post. It's actually quite informative but I disagree due to personal preference. I need a device to last as long as possible so 720p is not going to hold up over three years receiving full OEM software updates. I'm better off waiting for a device with 1080p or 2K so that if it loses support the hardware will not age so bad that the device is unusable.

Can anyone with a 720p device like say the Z5C increase the resolution to 750p and post some feedback?

Regarding last question:
I'm on a Sony Z3C :) Changing resolution isn't possible; DPI is. (However, you probably meant DPI.)
So all the above screenshots are feedback haha.

First paragraph: yeah, I can see one wanting 1080p as baseline.
I bought my Z3C in June last year. I expect to do about 2 more full years with it. (I'm also not the upgrade-frequently-kind.)
Still expecting Android Nougat to happen on this device since the larger Z3 one received the N Developer Preview.

My next device in 2 years will also be 1080p since by then 720p will be rather extinct in the high-end market. I won't find a 4.6" device anymore by then so I'll get used to 5".
If a device has small bezels 5" should still be doable in one hand (I hope).

MANUELF

Banned
Anyone knows a way to download an app to the sd card? I ask because they always download first to the internal memory but not always are able to move to the sd card
I tried to play One Piece Unlimited Cruis and it was all well until I completed the tutorial then the app tries to download a HUGE ammount of data and my internal memory cant handle it all

Hey guys what is the best controller for the S7 edge? for playing games with physical buttons, especially with an emulator.

iPega PG-9021 or Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad for Android?

Or is there something much better to buy that will work out the box that doesn't require too much tinkering and works all the time?

Thanks.

EDIT: Something compatible with Gear VR as well please, as I might get into that at a later date.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Depends on your definition of this.

Jeffrey

Anyone knows a way to download an app to the sd card? I ask because they always download first to the internal memory but not always are able to move to the sd card
I tried to play One Piece Unlimited Cruis and it was all well until I completed the tutorial then the app tries to download a HUGE amount of data and my internal memory cant handle it all

depends on what version you have, and quite possibly require rooting to force it. A lot of games typically are finicky about that, even if you force it with link2sd.

I wonder if the 821 is going to be in Marlin/Sailfish. Android Police's article mentions they had an unknown chip-set because the 2.0GHz did not line up with the 820 or any other chip. Hopefully the 821 offers some huge battery life strides over the 820.

If you're looking for a phone I can get you a deal on the Moto X Pure Edition.

The Moto X PE 16GB version retails for $300 but I can get it to you for $200. You can customize it(any customizations that don't have additional upgrade fees) and it will be sent directly to your house. You can pay via PayPal.

Don't believe me? Check out this feedback post from ViciousDS on a deal for a MacBook I got them.

Top Bottom