• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Dobsie

Can anyone recommend a material design music player that supports flac?

I can't go back to the pre kit kat ui of Poweramp.

Edit: found a material theme.

Any suggestions for free app with above requirements would be great.

Futureman

If you're looking for a phone I can get you a deal on the Moto X Pure Edition.

The Moto X PE 16GB version retails for $300 but I can get it to you for $200. You can customize it(any customizations that don't have additional upgrade fees) and it will be sent directly to your house. You can pay via PayPal.

Don't believe me? Check out this feedback post from ViciousDS on a deal for a MacBook I got them.

how are you selling a new MBA for $500 off? You have to understand people are going to think you are selling stolen laptops unless you can explain yourself.

Rumor has it the Note7 will support the new UFS cards? That would be really nice if that's the case. Can't help but think that the cards will be insanely expensive. I'm gonna say a 64 probably will start around 100.

Jeffrey

summarise please i'm not giving the verge a click

seems to mostly be the sluggish performance that bummed the reviewer out. The camera on the 'enhanced' version is mediocre too.

When you can get moto x pure for roughly the same price with way better specs (just missing the finger print sensor), no real reason to spend $250 for this.

Seems like bumping up the screen size and resolution without a huge bump in performance hurt it more than it helped, but I can see how big screen is an easier sell these days.

how are you selling a new MBA for $500 off? You have to understand people are going to think you are selling stolen laptops unless you can explain yourself.

As I have explained many times, I know a few people. Nothing more. Essentially getting employee discounts.

I understand how it looks but I would never steal anything. Also, ViciousDS can tell you that his MacBook was sent directly to his home from the retailer. If I had stolen it it would've come from my home or something.

Hope that clears it up.

Asgaro

"no"

4D2WCO7.gif

Groof

Average for the most part except that it has really bad performance and a mediocre camera.

seems to mostly be the sluggish performance that bummed the reviewer out. The camera on the 'enhanced' version is mediocre too.

When you can get moto x pure for roughly the same price with way better specs (just missing the finger print sensor), no real reason to spend $250 for this.

Seems like bumping up the screen size and resolution without a huge bump in performance hurt it more than it helped, but I can see how big screen is an easier sell these days.

It's bad but the verge would have said it anyway so they are happy it sucks so they are right this time

thanks for the summaries. sounds about what was expected

real talk, why aren't more apps using dark status bar icons with their light status bars? tell me this ain't sexy

OmegaFax

Received the Moto G4 from Amazon about an hour or two ago.

biyVJ82l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFi2y1Ktt0g

I bought it for my mother to replace her previous phone, a handed down Nexus 4. This is a huge step up from that.

The camera quality is probably a step down from the Nexus 5X (which I used to take the picture and record the video). There's no laser autofocus on the 16gb standard model

All of the Amazon apps, save for the lock screen, can be disabled. With all of the Amazon apps disabled, the links on the lock screen do not do anything and unlock the phone normally.

For the price ($132 /w tax + ~ $20 for an overnighted case and screen protector coming tomorrow), it's surprisingly good.

I lost my friggin' Google Fi SIM card but I have a T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon cards to test and see how the signal is. It's compatible with all of them ... and in theory Fi. It's a micro-SIM slot but it does have a nano-sim adapter included.

Screen is nice. Great viewing angles. The phone doesn't feel too big. It's the same screen size as something like the Zenfone 2 but way less bulky and the Moto G's back texture feels nice and grippy.

Camera takes decent pictures. May not be a star at lowlight. It comes with both the Google and Motorola cameras but the Moto camera is way better.

Edit: Vibrate motor is actually really good and tuned better than my N5X one is for button presses and menu feedback. Doesn't sound like it's rattling (like my 1st generation Moto G). Screen is a little red warmer next to my stock N5X which is bluish even with the dev setting to make it cooler off.

Honestly, I'm impressed with it. Lack of NFC and fingerprint sensor are the big holdbacks for me but I think it's fine for everything else. Eh, as far as the bootloader goes and how to unlock it. Haven't tried it and probably won't since it's not my phone. I just ordered it and set it up. The Amazon stuff is really contained to the lockscreen and it's probably not worth the trouble to take off. From an hour or two with the device, it's probably worth a try.

Honor 8 announced

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_unveils_the_honor_8_with_dual_rear_camera_4gb_of_ram-news-19331.php

The Honor 8 has a 5.2-inch 1080p touchscreen, and a dual-12 MP camera setup on the back, with f/2.2 aperture. The selfie shooter is an 8 MP unit with f/2.4 aperture. The phone has up to 4GB of RAM and 64GB of expandable storage. So far, on paper the Honor 8 is pretty much identical to the P9.

The big difference is the chipset employed. The cheaper Honor 8 has to make do with the older Kirin 950, whereas the P9 sports the Kirin 955. The 950 inside the new Honor handset comes with an octa-core CPU with four Cortex-A72 cores clocked at up to 2.3 GHz, and four Cortex-A53 cores that go up to 1.8 GHz.

Just got rid of my Honor 7, and until Huawei dial back EMUI I won't be getting another. Which is a shame, as specs/build quality/price wise it'll probably knock it out the park. :/

Saiyan-Rox

my GF broke her temporary Nexus 4 phone (she lost her old one lol) and bought a Blu Life Mark from Amazon when it was on sale for £90.

She got it today and it just pains me to use xD she isn't bothered by it at all (she didn't mind the Nexus 4 it was just the incredibly shit battery that was the killer I even replaced it and it got worse) there's bad English sentences in it, it's laggy, it's on Lollipop even though releasing this March and it seems Blu don't update stuff very well so it's probably not gonna get Marshmallow. On top of all this the fingerprint scanner takes a couple of seconds to register and unlock the phone xD I know first world problem but I don't think I could use a phone like that anymore.

Jeffrey

Received the Moto G4 from Amazon about an hour or two ago.

biyVJ82l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFi2y1Ktt0g

I bought it for my mother to replace her previous phone, a handed down Nexus 4. This is a huge step up from that.

The camera quality is probably a step down from the Nexus 5X (which I used to take the picture and record the video). There's no laser autofocus on the 16gb standard model

All of the Amazon apps, save for the lock screen, can be disabled. With all of the Amazon apps disabled, the links on the lock screen do not do anything and unlock the phone normally.

For the price ($132 /w tax + ~ $20 for an overnighted case and screen protector coming tomorrow), it's surprisingly good.

I lost my friggin' Google Fi SIM card but I have a T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon cards to test and see how the signal is. It's compatible with all of them ... and in theory Fi. It's a micro-SIM slot but it does have a nano-sim adapter included.

Screen is nice. Great viewing angles. The phone doesn't feel too big. It's the same screen size as something like the Zenfone 2 but way less bulky and the Moto G's back texture feels nice and grippy.

Camera takes decent pictures. May not be a star at lowlight. It comes with both the Google and Motorola cameras but the Moto camera is way better.

Edit: Vibrate motor is actually really good and tuned better than my N5X one is for button presses and menu feedback. Doesn't sound like it's rattling (like my 1st generation Moto G). Screen is a little red warmer next to my stock N5X which is bluish even with the dev setting to make it cooler off.

Honestly, I'm impressed with it. Lack of NFC and fingerprint sensor are the big holdbacks for me but I think it's fine for everything else. Eh, as far as the bootloader goes and how to unlock it. Haven't tried it and probably won't since it's not my phone. I just ordered it and set it up. The Amazon stuff is really contained to the lockscreen and it's probably not worth the trouble to take off. From an hour or two with the device, it's probably worth a try.

Wait Google fi sim cards work on non recent nexus devices?

23qwerty

Can anyone recommend a material design music player that supports flac?

I can't go back to the pre kit kat ui of Poweramp.

Edit: found a material theme.

Any suggestions for free app with above requirements would be great.

Why not use the material theme for Poweramp?

Snapdragon 821 announced

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10482/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-821-24-ghz-kryo

Hopefully this is what 801 was to 800 and please be on Nexus devices/ Note 7. And hopefully it's more efficient

I wonder if the 821 is going to be in Marlin/Sailfish. Android Police's article mentions they had an unknown chip-set because the 2.0GHz did not line up with the 820 or any other chip. Hopefully the 821 offers some huge battery life strides over the 820.

It will probably be too late for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, as that will be officially released next month.

The Marlin/Sailfish Nexus devices on the other hand, could include it as they would be out within 3 or 4 months from now.

Question is, will including it make the phones more expensive than before?

Edit: Seems that it will be in both phones after all:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobil...cial-just-time-galaxy-note-7-nexus-phone-2016

Ok, can someone explain to me why in Google Calendar, on the Android app, if I create an event, or have an existing event, why I cannot edit the event and change which calendar it's associated with? I have to go through a web browser to change this. If I use the pre-installed calendar app on my phone, I can change it. If I use an iPhone, I can change it. Both instances will show up sync'd in Google Calendar. Only the official Google Calendar app doesn't let you do this. Why? It's been like this ever since I switched to Android and I don't understand why this is still a problem.

Jeffrey

anyone here get the oneplus 3?

Does the 6gb ram actually make a big difference?

Never felt all the penis swinging 'ram race' has ever really helped with multitasking on android.

Like ive had apps hanging out in the background on a 2gb ram iOS device far longer than any 3gb+ ram android device (wonder if there are dev options to tweak this?).

Dont' think ive ever had an app reload on my ipad pro since I got one lol.

anyone here get the oneplus 3?

Does the 6gb ram actually make a big difference?

Never felt all the penis swinging 'ram race' has ever really helped with multitasking on android.

Like ive had apps hanging out in the background on a 2gb ram iOS device far longer than any 3gb+ ram android device (wonder if there are dev options to tweak this?).

Dont' think ive ever had an app reload on my ipad pro since I got one lol.

Nothing takes advantage of 6GB of ram today. It's just there so they could have a talking point. A better screen or bigger battery would have been a better investment with the money spent on that.

4 GB's of RAM should be quite enough for Android devices. Heck, the next Nexus devices doesn't have more than 4 GB's of it.

4GB is more than enough. Even 3GB on my OnePlus One is still plenty. It was just something they decided to throw in to have the biggest number in something to stand out, but a better screen or battery would have been much better.

Jeffrey

Been using this moto x pure 2015 for 2 weeks now, and im having no issues at all with day to day usage in terms of snappiness, as someone that mostly been using flagship iOS devices (outside of work stuff). Not bad for $240 no tax and free shipping (+free 32 gb sd card).

And I remember people looking down at the 808 somewhat. Guess there was a time where I was all about playing the most graphics heavy games when smartphones were still young, but guess I've grown up? idk lol.

Give me a decent display and loud stereo front facing speakers, and can do the twitters and internet browsing and what not fine, and its about all I need.

Battery isn't even an issue with external battery packs and I have charging options in the office/car.

Maybe I should just stick with android for the time being on the phone side, while having an ipad pro for tableting.

Jeffrey

zenfone 3 deluxe confirmed first snapdragon 821 phone

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/12/zenfone-3-deluxe-snapdragon-821/

The metallic ZenFone 3 Deluxe comes in three flavors, with its top model offering pretty much all the best possible specs to date: 6GB of DDR4 RAM plus 256GB of UFS 2.0 internal storage (expandable by up to 128GB via microSD using the second SIM slot). But this will cost you NT$24,990 or about US$780. The remaining two variants are still based on the 2.15GHz Snapdragon 820, and you get either 4GB RAM with 32GB storage (NT$15,990 or about US$500) or 6GB RAM with 64GB storage (NT$17,990 or about US$560). It's worth mentioning that these are certified for Google's Daydream VR platform.

my GF broke her temporary Nexus 4 phone (she lost her old one lol) and bought a Blu Life Mark from Amazon when it was on sale for £90.

She got it today and it just pains me to use xD she isn't bothered by it at all (she didn't mind the Nexus 4 it was just the incredibly shit battery that was the killer I even replaced it and it got worse) there's bad English sentences in it, it's laggy, it's on Lollipop even though releasing this March and it seems Blu don't update stuff very well so it's probably not gonna get Marshmallow. On top of all this the fingerprint scanner takes a couple of seconds to register and unlock the phone xD I know first world problem but I don't think I could use a phone like that anymore.

Ouch, so many better phones out there for £90-£100 :( I'd probably stump up the little extra for a G4 personally in that budget range.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Been using this moto x pure 2015 for 2 weeks now, and im having no issues at all with day to day usage in terms of snappiness, as someone that mostly been using flagship iOS devices (outside of work stuff). Not bad for $240 no tax and free shipping (+free 32 gb sd card).

And I remember people looking down at the 808 somewhat. Guess there was a time where I was all about playing the most graphics heavy games when smartphones were still young, but guess I've grown up? idk lol.

Give me a decent display and loud stereo front facing speakers, and can do the twitters and internet browsing and what not fine, and its about all I need.

Battery isn't even an issue with external battery packs and I have charging options in the office/car.

Maybe I should just stick with android for the time being on the phone side, while having an ipad pro for tableting.
I absolutely love my Moto X Pure. I just hope MotoLenovo will get around to releasing 6.0.1 in North America sometime soon...

liquidtmd

Banned

I get the thrust of what the reviewer is implying with Lenovos changing priorities, but honestly I had a couple of hours with my wifes newly arrived Moto G4 Plus and im sorry but 'stuttering mess' is hyperbolic horseshit.

Not as good value as Moto Gs of days gone by, but I find the build and it's offering solid for sub £200. Personally I think my next around September will be either Moto Z Force or maybe pick up a S7 edge but I see the appeal of a set like the G4 plus.

Saiyan-Rox

Ouch, so many better phones out there for £90-£100 :( I'd probably stump up the little extra for a G4 personally in that budget range.

I'll admit I saw the phone first and thought it would be perfect for her as all she does is text and use facebook/tumbler/snapchat and went years with a GSIII Mini so anything has to be better than that hence why when she lost it I gave her the Nexus 4. In the end it was good she bought the Blu as it arrived the same day she broke the N4 but yeah i'm not digging the phone at all but I guess as long as she's happy it's all good.

Seriously the battery in the N4 was the main reason it was a pain. I even replaced the battery but it woud cave from 50 to 2 in like 20 mins lol But I should have done some proper research on the Life Mark beforehand but as long as she's happy.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

mackattk

128GB 6p for ~$450 after $30 coupon for amazon visa cardholders.. Should I jump in? Currently have a Note 3 and am really itching for a new phone, but knowing that the new nexus phones will come out in the next few months is a really tough decision.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
128GB 6p for ~$450 after $30 coupon for amazon visa cardholders.. Should I jump in? Currently have a Note 3 and am really itching for a new phone, but knowing that the new nexus phones will come out in the next few months is a really tough decision.

ehhhh...I'd say wait. Note 7 is supposed to be introduced early August - that'd be a significant upgrade from your Note 3.

Jeffrey

ehhhh...I'd say wait. Note 7 is supposed to be introduced early August - that'd be a significant upgrade from your Note 3.
expect to pay double the price for 128gb tho (well you can go small + sd card).

Still probably best to save for nexus 2016, which is highly likely to be day dream VR qualified for the extra $100s.

$450 is Oneplus 3 territory.

Top Bottom