• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Toki767

The new Hangouts version also removes the merged Hangouts/SMS messages.

Hangouts needs to die a quick death.

They need to either merge Hangouts and Allo, or do something else.

They can't kill Hangouts completely, because then they don't have any chat platform for desktop or tablets. So either focus hangouts or merge with Allo.

And then have Allo do sms.

Mindwipe

Android GAF, please help me out. Ready to jump from Xperia Z3C but I can't seem to pick a new phone.

What's important (in order):
-Camera
-Size (I acknowledge I won't find a flagship the size of the Z3C anymore :( )
-Same or better performance than my current phone (Battery/Speed)
-Willing to wait a couple of months if something is on the horizon

Wait until IFA first weekend of September. Sony might sort themselves out.

Futureman

S7 here. I feel like the audio when listening to music is always a bit too low or a bit too high and I end up having to scrub the on screen volume slider a tiny bit.

Any app that would give the physical volume buttons finer control?

this_guy

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/13/google-android-hangouts-video-messaging/

oh google just realized hangouts doesn't have video messaging on android when its been on ios for half a year lol.

Wait aren't they getting rid of hangout with something else they announced last month, or is it something else. too many initiatives

Just in time for Google Allo! So, uh, when is Allo coming out? It's middle of summer already.

I think I'm more interested in this phone than any others right now (at least until the new Nexus devices are announced). High end specs, ZTE updates their flagships, good speakers and dac, and you also get their Passport/accident insurance program. As long as the camera is solid it hits all the check points for a high end flagship.

Jeffrey

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Apple-versus-Samsung-is-so-over

Starting with the US, in the three months ending May 2016, Samsung accounted for 37% of smartphone sales and Apple 29%. However, sales of their respective flagship models reveal a much closer competition, with the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge accounting for 16% of sales and the iPhone 6s/6s Plus at 14.6%.

weird, is it common that samsung flagship phones sell better than apple flagships in the first half of the year?

mackattk

I think the Axon 7 might be my next phone. Thinking hard about preordering it. Any word on if it supports LTE band 12 for T-Mobile? I assume it would, but would like definitive yes on that.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I think the Axon 7 might be my next phone. Thinking hard about preordering it. Any word on if it supports LTE band 12 for T-Mobile? I assume it would, but would like definitive yes on that.

Seems like it does:
GSM/EDGE:B2/3/5/8
CDMA BC0/1/10
UMTS/HSPA: B2/B5/B4/B1/B8
LTE: B2/B4/B5/B12/B13/B17/B7/B3/B1/B20/B29/B30/B25/B26/B41
2CA: B2+B4,B2/4+B12,B2/4+B29, B2/4+B5, B41+B41, B25+B25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-Axon-7-Unlocked-Smartphone-4GB-64GB-Ion-Gold-/252459025536

That space between the screen and the bottom speaker grill on the Axon 7 is huge. I hope to god there is capacitive buttons there.

Capacitive, as says on the spec sheet above

Jeels

Wait until IFA first weekend of September. Sony might sort themselves out.

Personally really hoping that myself. :( I feel like they peaked at the Z3 and the X series has been an absolute catastrophe. I just can't spend premium (ie above 600 dollars) for something that's somewhat worse than my Z3C and isn't really doing anything different compared to other flagships.

Jeffrey

what determines if a phone is 'daydream' certified? Is it mostly about the screen latency and having the power to run it?

Wonder what the axon 7 offers that other flagships this year don't.

AndyD

aka andydumi
aren't all phones these days beans or 'iphone clones' :p

Wonder if the v20 will support the accessories of the g5.

I bet it won't be accessories based, but a traditional phone. G line will be accessory based (although they are floundering) and V line regular phones.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone use Cricket Wireless? I'm looking to switch from Ting. Call quality and reception has been horrible the last month or so - constant drops and signal loss.

Cricket'll run me about twice what I pay for Ting, but I'd say it's worth it for a reliable signal (I live in rural Kentucky which runs almost exclusively on AT&T). I'd also have access to mobile data, which is nice.

this_guy

Anyone use Cricket Wireless? I'm looking to switch from Ting. Call quality and reception has been horrible the last month or so - constant drops and signal loss.

Cricket'll run me about twice what I pay for Ting, but I'd say it's worth it for a reliable signal (I live in rural Kentucky which runs almost exclusively on AT&T). I'd also have access to mobile data, which is nice.

I've used them before and had no issues. Speeds are capped at 8Mb/s but that's fast enough to stream HD videos. T-Mobile's Binge-On throttles video to 1.5Mb/s and people say that's good enough.

studyguy

Anyone have any experience with the Oneplus X?

I hear the biggest drawback is bands not supported for it which... frankly sucks for a decent budget phone for $200 to a sibling.

Edit, also didn't realize they dropped the series all together. Is it even going to get supported beyond like a year or two

Jeffrey

I bet it won't be accessories based, but a traditional phone. G line will be accessory based (although they are floundering) and V line regular phones.

Depends on how much they want to keep doing this accessory thing. Having v10 support them will probably keep 3rd party around for a bit. I can't imagine them being too thrilled that the g5 bombed.

Anyone have any experience with the Oneplus X?

I hear the biggest drawback is bands not supported for it which... frankly sucks for a decent budget phone for $200 to a sibling.

Edit, also didn't realize they dropped the series all together. Is it even going to get supported beyond like a year or two

didn't know you can even buy one of those new anymore. Thought they sold through their stock ages ago.

Saiyan-Rox

Guys i'm seriously thinking about sending my GF's Blu Life Mark back. there's Engrish on it, the features don't work and her text messages constantly fail to send...oh and she can't seem to change the ringtone for notifications it's just defaulting back to the original one.

Amazon will take this back for a refund right? Also was thinking of getting her the WIleyfox Swift instead https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014UUQUAO/

At least it's got Cyanogen on it so it'll be better software wise but i'm open to suggestions in that price range (brand new)

EDIT: Nevermind sending it back and already bought her the wileyfox swift. damn that BLU phone was a major piece of shit....just gutted we didn't wait for Prime day and get it brand new for 95 :(

kharma45

Guys i'm seriously thinking about sending my GF's Blu Life Mark back. there's Engrish on it, the features don't work and her text messages constantly fail to send...oh and she can't seem to change the ringtone for notifications it's just defaulting back to the original one.

Amazon will take this back for a refund right? Also was thinking of getting her the WIleyfox Swift instead https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014UUQUAO/

Surely Motorola must do something in that price bracket? I saw on HUKD the 16GB n5x on o2 payg upgrade for £130. Honor 5X?
At least it's got Cyanogen on it so it'll be better software wise but i'm open to suggestions in that price range (brand new)

Saiyan-Rox

Surely Motorola must do something in that price bracket? I saw on HUKD the 16GB n5x on o2 payg upgrade for £130. Honor 5X?

I just went for the Wileyfox in the end....i'm hoping it's at least decent and with Cyanogen at least she'll get updates.

Paid £100.25 for the wileyfox from AmazonWarehouse just said the box was slightly damaged but she didn't care.

kharma45

I just went for the Wileyfox in the end....i'm hoping it's at least decent and with Cyanogen at least she'll get updates.

Paid £100.25 for the wileyfox from AmazonWarehouse just said the box was slightly damaged but she didn't care.

Bs grand. At least with Amazon you have easy returns.

Saiyan-Rox

Bs grand. At least with Amazon you have easy returns.

Yeah that's true. forgot to mention the Blu Life Mark also came with a couple of marks on the back even though it was brand new (heh take it that's where the "mark" name comes from)

I just hope Amazon doesn't think i'm pulling a fast one with the return....I got one of those warning emails last year about returns

kharma45

How is Pokémon Go doing on Snapdragon 810 devices?

As someone else said, runs well on the 808.

Yeah that's true. forgot to mention the Blu Life Mark also came with a couple of marks on the back even though it was brand new (heh take it that's where the "mark" name comes from)

I just hope Amazon doesn't think i'm pulling a fast one with the return....I got one of those warning emails last year about returns

You must be returning a lot of stuff

Saiyan-Rox

As someone else said, runs well on the 808.

You must be returning a lot of stuff

I actually didn't lol I think it's because I returned a laptop that was genuinely faulty but I got an Android tablet so I didn't really need it so I asked for a refund (like 6 months after I bought the laptop) but this was last year.

they can't be that pissy i've spent shit loads on amazon over the past week between me and my GF and now another phone and i'll be buying all my PC upgrade parts from them as well so they can't be annoyed lol

thuway

4.7 and 5.5 inch variants of the V20 can easily wreck the Note 7 and allow LG to make up for the G5. Give me the same specs as the V10 with the 820, Daydream compatability, and manual video mode.

Get me a V20, unlocked bootloader, same specs with G20, and an OLED panel. I'm in LG.

ThisOne

Anyone know how I can make some adjustments to Google keyboard? Like, it keep auto correcting "I'm" to "in" and "James" to "Jane's". Stuff like that. Anyway to tell the keyboard what autocorrections it should prioritize?

Top Bottom