• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Guys, need a little bit of help. I have a question about power banks, I recently bought OP3 and sold my S5. I kept my 5200mAh connectIT power bank but I'm a little bit worried about powering up my new phone. All I would need to do is change powering cable from micro USB to Type-C. Is it save?

If you use the USB-C cable provided it's fine. Just don't use non-compliant USB-C cables.

Jeffrey

Guys, need a little bit of help. I have a question about power banks, I recently bought OP3 and sold my S5. I kept my 5200mAh connectIT power bank but I'm a little bit worried about powering up my new phone. All I would need to do is change powering cable from micro USB to Type-C. Is it save?

a normal usb to type-c cable is what you need i assume? not sure with output slots are on that power bank.

OnePlus 3 has one huge major flaw in OxygenOS, and that is overly strict battery saving.

- Notifications are delayed because the phone is under Doze. You often get email notifications as soon as you unlock the phone, no notifications are received while sleeping. It seems that the only thing the phone responds under doze are phone calls and alarms (but only scheduled alarms, countdown timer doesn't work!). There is a big thread in OP's forums about this and it's a huge major issue.

- The countdown timer feature in the clock app is useless. If the phone dozes before the timer is up, it will not ring the alarm when the time is up until you unlock the phone. What the fuck?

- Pokemon Go is unplayable because the app loses location immediately if you switch to another app or turn off the screen. Yes, I want to go out on a walk with this battery murdering game, I have dash charging!

- Spotify Running does not work because it uses the gyroscope to detect how you run. Oneplus's stupid battery saver turns off the gyroscope when the screen turns off.

I know Oneplus is really concerned about battery life here, but this is going too far. They need to release dash charging ASAP because OxygenOS is crippled with this battery saving shit. I want to switch to Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android now.

CnVnJ40WYAAPSIF.jpg

so motherfucking futuristic

Saiyan-Rox

Seriously, what were you expecting? How else would a USB adapter look like?

Huh? who says I was expecting anything better? the very fact they did it hurts.

OnePlus 3 has one huge major flaw in OxygenOS, and that is overly strict battery saving.

- Notifications are delayed because the phone is under Doze. You often get email notifications as soon as you unlock the phone, no notifications are received while sleeping. It seems that the only thing the phone responds under doze are phone calls and alarms (but only scheduled alarms, countdown timer doesn't work!). There is a big thread in OP's forums about this and it's a huge major issue.

- The countdown timer feature in the clock app is useless. If the phone dozes before the timer is up, it will not ring the alarm when the time is up until you unlock the phone. What the fuck?

- Pokemon Go is unplayable because the app loses location immediately if you switch to another app or turn off the screen. Yes, I want to go out on a walk with this battery murdering game, I have dash charging!

- Spotify Running does not work because it uses the gyroscope to detect how you run. Oneplus's stupid battery saver turns off the gyroscope when the screen turns off.

I know Oneplus is really concerned about battery life here, but this is going too far. They need to release dash charging ASAP because OxygenOS is crippled with this battery saving shit. I want to switch to Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android now.

They really have went insane with the Doze feature of the phone. I flashed Cyanogen the other day and it's already very stable it's just Android Pay wouldn't work on it which was the big killer for me,

Jeffrey

weird thought doze is suppose to obey your do not disturb settings, bug?

Pretty sure that's how pokemon go works on all devices, ios, android etc.

It's not suppose to work in the background (so they can sell you a $35 dongle thing).

Jeffrey

I just don't understand why lenovo wants to be the first company in the US to have no headphone jack.

Wait for apple or samsung someone else to take the blowback first.

reKon

Banned
I just don't understand why lenovo wants to be the first company in the US to have no headphone jack.

haha, I'm almost convinced that Apple isn't actually going to do it yet

ElNino

My suggestion is to disable Doze. I haven't found the battery to be impacted much at since since doing that.

Toki767

Well Motorola was the first company in the US to have a fingerprint scanner too with the Atrix.

ThisOne

When are we expecting the new Nexus phones to be officially announced? September like last year? I'm hoping to ditch Verizon, get on Google Fi and buy one of the new Nexus phones since my HTC One is starting to crap out.

Noema

just noticed it had 2 gb of ram, that is kinda low for its msrp last year, felt like most phones offered at least 3gb of ram even in the midrange.

seems like a good cheap option for people to get a project fi phone tho.

It was definitely overpriced for what it was when it first launched. SD808, 2GB of RAM and cheaply built. But it's a good dealt for less than $250. Camera is pretty good.

Plus it's still a Nexus that will run Nougat, Oatmeal cookie and Porridge.

Jeffrey

It was definitely overpriced for what it was when it first launched. SD808, 2GB of RAM and cheaply built. But it's a good dealt for less than $250. Camera is pretty good.

Isn't the big thing of nougat the splitscreen though? Would think the processor and ram would hurt that somewhat.

So ZTE emailed me a code for 50 off the Axon 7. Probably going to give it away to anyone who is looking for one. I will figure out when i wanna give it away.

Is there anything better right now for the price? I ask also because someone is trying to get a new phone for Verizon. I know he wants a 6P, but the price isn't low right now (it was a great price during Prime Day, but he couldn't get it then).

Jeffrey

So ZTE emailed me a code for 50 off the Axon 7. Probably going to give it away to anyone who is looking for one. I will figure out when i wanna give it away.

Are review units out for the axon 7 yet? Seems like the best thing since sliced bread for that price, but who knows.

Mindwipe

That's what Xperias used to be able to (optionally) do with Stamina mode and they had to remove it because it wasn't compatible with the CTS. You're not allowed to fuck with Google Play Services under Doze.

That's how Pokemon Go works. You have to keep the screen on and the app as primary on all devices.

Saiyan-Rox

Guys major problem

Today my GF's phone arrives and we're supposed to send the other one back as faulty to Amazon.

But she goes and drops it down the toilet this morning :/ it turns on sends texts but the mic, fingerprint scanner and speakers are all busted. what's the chances of me sending this back to Amazon and them not doing anything as I already said it was faulty?

kharma45

Guys major problem

Today my GF's phone arrives and we're supposed to send the other one back as faulty to Amazon.

But she goes and drops it down the toilet this morning :/ it turns on sends texts but the mic, fingerprint scanner and speakers are all busted. what's the chances of me sending this back to Amazon and them not doing anything as I already said it was faulty?

Don't be a dick. If you try to send it back and they find out you've damaged it and not told them, I'd say you could kiss your Amazon account goodbye.

Guys major problem

Ergh that sucks, personally I wouldn't take the risk, not a good situation but almost a bite the bullet kinda thing, I'm assuming it wasn't faulty in the first place but wanted to swap for a different phone? Chances are they may well check the fault you claimed, also if it has a removable back chances are it also has a water indicator too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Guys major problem

eh...don't be that person. I don't know if Amazon checks returned phones like that, but if they do and see water damage, kiss your account goodbye.

mackattk

If no takers, I am extremely interested in this phone. No big deal if you don't want to give it away or if someone else grabbed it already.

Saiyan-Rox

Ergh that sucks, personally I wouldn't take the risk, not a good situation but almost a bite the bullet kinda thing, I'm assuming it wasn't faulty in the first place but wanted to swap for a different phone? Chances are they may well check the fault you claimed, also if it has a removable back chances are it also has a water indicator too.

Nah not really it was just fricken awful (although it wouldn't send text messages properly and kept saying they didn't send and sent 2-3 times)

Don't be a dick. If you try to send it back and they find out you've damaged it and not told them, I'd say you could kiss your Amazon account goodbye.

eh...don't be that person. I don't know if Amazon checks returned phones like that, but if they do and see water damage, kiss your account goodbye.

Aye I contacted Amazon about it just after I made that post as you said it's an incredibly dick move and it's not me to do that but I guess I just panicked and my GF is in hysterics about it as she feels like a complete dumbass.

Although I contacted Amazon (Rang and Live Chat) and they both said to return the phone and nothing will happen...so there's that.

Jeffrey

Now you learned your lesson. Next time get a phone with decent water resistance/proof like the s7 or w/e shit sony is still peddling.

Well that's just for legacy headphones, USB C will be a straight plug in and BT headphones obviously need nothing. There are other options available to having the adapter and being honest, I'm sure someone will bring out a C > 3.5 that's shorter or better looking.
and what about the also not 'legacy' lightning headphones?

the best other option is having a 3.5mm jack.

removing it is just a cost cutting measure.

Guys major problem

How do people drop their phones in the toilet? And also what does she have butterfingers? If I was you I'd rip her apart for that.

Jeffrey

I'll make sure to pass on the comment to her lol that's 2 phones she's been through in a week so I think one of these is in order

what happened to the phone to begin with that made if 'faulty'?

How do people drop their phones in the toilet? And also what does she have butterfingers? If I was you I'd rip her apart for that.

People are always on their phones in the toilet in any public place ive been to. I've seen executives pissing in the stall while on a conference call lol.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah she was a little clumsy while doing her make up in the bathroom and it just fell in :(

what happened to the phone to begin with that made if 'faulty'?

People are always on their phones in the toilet in any public place ive been to. I've seen executives pissing in the stall while on a conference call lol.

It wouldn't change the notification sounds at all (i even did it myself just to make sure nothing was wrong) and it wouldn't send SMS properl.y. half the time it would say it couldn't send then when she tried again i'd get it 3 times. there was also some manufacturing dents on the back when she got it but she didn't care about that.

Well all in all this has been an eventful day sorry to be a pain guys and make myself look like a monumental prick.

EDIT: Lol now it's fully working after the water dried out xD

RuGalz

"Why merged conversations aren't available any more
Merged conversations used to let you see your Hangouts messages and text messages in the same conversation. We have decided to remove it, because it caused user confusion and had low usage."

Instead of color coding messages so it's clearer, they just remove it. Thanks Googy! Now I have like 3 conversations with done people depending on which number I send my message from.

diaspora

Dunno, Samsung has stubbornly held onto the MicroSD slot, even though they had skipped it on the S6.

edit: Why are you people still using Hangouts? What the fuck man, just use Messenger and WhatsApp like the rest of civilized society.

Top Bottom