• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

thenexus6

Just started using google keyboard again. Is there anyway to change the enter key to HOLD for emoji not press? Or just turn them off completely. I would prefer a normal enter key instead of an emoji one.

Hitta93

Banned
Jump on Demand with TMobile.

Thinking that will be the best long term option instead of the hassle of constantly searching for deals on phones.

What reasons should I buy the S7 over the HTC 10?

S7 is the nicer phone hardware wise, however it cannot be rooted, which I think is necessary now for adblocking. Mobile ads get really bad on alot of sites plus eat data if you aren't unlimited. I guess you could always use a browser with built in ad blocking though. If you are getting Jump On Demand try to hold out for a month because you will be able to get Note 7 then and it will count as first phone of 3 per year instead of 2nd.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
S7 is the nicer phone hardware wise, however it cannot be rooted, which I think is necessary now for adblocking. Mobile ads get really bad on alot of sites plus eat data if you aren't unlimited. I guess you could always use a browser with built in ad blocking though. If you are getting Jump On Demand try to hold out for a month because you will be able to get Note 7 then and it will count as first phone of 3 per year instead of 2nd.

You can use Firefox and then install ublock origin and many other addons...

diaspora

Not for browser based adblocking.

LQX

Welp, bought a Pixel C. Any rumblings of a Nexus 7 update coming? Would rather something smaller but I figure the Pixel C would not be this low again for awhile.

Also, my sister got a Huawei Honor 5X on Prime Day. WOW! For $120 that is a well built phone. At first glance; compared to the S5 screen, it was not as vibrant but the build quality blew it away. The body looks like a Pixel C and it feels so premium. I thought it would be a flimsy mess but that thing is on the level of these $600 phones. AND it had a perfect screen protector pre-applied on it. That is something I want all phone and tablet makers to adopt.

I have an iPhones 6, and always had iPhones (3G and 4S) and I'm really considering to buy the Nexus 6p because I want a bigger phone... but it looks so damn big. I might wait for the new Nexus that should be slightly smaller, but right now I could have the 6p for 380€... really don't know what to do.
:-/

Noema

I have an iPhones 6, and always had iPhones (3G and 4S) and I'm really considering to buy the Nexus 6p because I want a bigger phone... but it looks so damn big. I might wait for the new Nexus that should be slightly smaller, but right now I could have the 6p for 380€... really don't know what to do.

The nexus 6p is over half a year old with a SoC that probably won't age very well. It's a great phone, but at this point it's just more prudent to wait for the 2016 Nexuses.

Reckoner

Don't do it. The 6P is overrated garbage. Not worth it with that SoC. Wait for the new ones if Qualcomm finally gets things right.

The nexus 6p is over half a year old with a SoC that probably won't age very well. It's a great phone, but at this point it's just more prudent to wait for the 2016 Nexuses.

Don't do it. The 6P is overrated garbage. Not worth it with that SoC. Wait for the new ones if Qualcomm finally gets things right.

I read so many reviews of this phone, I thought it was great. That's a real bummer, 'cause I don't like the other android phones, so I guess I'll wait for the new HTC Nexus.

PS Little noob question: what do you mean with SoC?

yyzjohn

Banned
I read so many reviews of this phone, I thought it was great. That's a real bummer, 'cause I don't like the other android phones, so I guess I'll wait for the new HTC Nexus.

PS Little noob question: what do you mean with SoC?

System on chip. Basically talking about the Qualcomm chip that's powering that phone. Think it's the Snapdragon 810

Even though it has an 810, the 6P is still an outstanding phone. Fast, great screen, great build, direct updates from Google and the battery life is outstanding.

Groof

The 6p is great overall and was definitely worth it at the time.

At this point, just wait for the new Nexus devices

it's been rooted (Qualcomm S7 S7E) for a month now.

Joe

32GB is the real upgrade to get.

It's liberating having so much space

hho9XsY.gif

6P is still fucking outstanding.

Thinking about that BLU as a running phone. Replace the Lumia 640 I have now. Would be nice to stick with Android.

No CDMA support
No carrier specific fuckery with updates
FM radio enabled
The H850 version has bootloader unlock.

Am I a nerd for knowing all this information about a device I do not own yet?

Bumping this again.
Would I be missing out on certain carrier features that would have shipped? I know two others with AT&T-branded devices and they have an unmutable, loud jingle when it boots up. I'm guessing I wouldn't get this with an unlocked device.

wilflare

is there a good Android alternative to the iPad Pro?
think it would be pretty good for classroom use (walking around the class with the tablet + stylus and jotting down ideas from students)

Hitta93

Banned
I got 64GB currently, but think 32GB is a good amount with how widespread cloud storage and music streaming is. If you're trying to record full length movies on your phone, you're doing it wrong.

I got 64GB currently, but think 32GB is a good amount with how widespread cloud storage and music streaming is. If you're trying to record full length movies on your phone, you're doing it wrong.

I live in Australia so my perspective on steaming is different (I get 9.5 gig on my mobile plan for which I pay through the nose).

Streaming music / pictures is fine , movies and even a lot of game updates are not.

I also keep a running backup of my phone (via Titanium) and I'm using ~42 GB at this point in time (ana 17 GB of my 128 is gone to deliberate misrepresentation of HDD sizes , formatting and system).

So I'd say ~64 is probably a workable amount at the moment for my scenario (I went with 128 since I'm not planning to upgrade this year unless one of the Nexii really wows me).

Jeffrey

At least in the US, you don't really want to be on public unencrypted slow wifi, and the data needed to stream video at a decent bitrate for your 1440p phone will eat your monthly data cap in an hour.

There is still value in storage.

At least in the US, you don't really want to be on public unencrypted slow wifi, and the data needed to stream video at a decent bitrate for your 1440p phone will eat your monthly data cap in an hour.

There is still value in storage.

I feel so sorry for anyone in the US when it comes to data and internet usage. I have a mobile data cap of 40gb a month on my 4G connection.

I will never understand why there are data caps on basic internet connection to a computer, seems really weird and arcane to me.

Hitta93

Banned
Really don't do a lot of video viewing on my phone outside of Snapchat. Can't consume media on a screen that small.

10GB a month with 20GB in Data Stash, I'm good.

linkboy

I feel so sorry for anyone in the US when it comes to data and internet usage. I have a mobile data cap of 40gb a month on my 4G connection.

I will never understand why there are data caps on basic internet connection to a computer, seems really weird and arcane to me.

Because money.

Never knew that, that's terrible.

808 was the better option I guess.

Phones have temperature sensors and once it hits a certain temperature, it has to lower performance otherwise it will fry the CPU.

Under certain scenarios, 810 performance can be severely restricted.

Top Bottom