• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Krejlooc

Banned
So, problem, and I'm not sure how to diagnose or fix it - my Galaxy Note 4 has suddenly become extremely unresponsive. As in, within the last 12 hours. Everything is slow to the point of rendering the phone unusable. Example - I'll press the power button on the side to turn off the screen, and the phone will hang for a good 30 seconds until the screen turns off. It takes minutes to actually dial out. I have the S-window cover for the phone, and when I close it, it takes about 15-20 seconds for it to even register that it's closed. When I open it, it takes another 15-20 seconds for my phone to register that it's open.

All these times where it's taking 30 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, etc - my phone is entirely unresponsive. I can't do anything. It's also been rebooting randomly, and when it boots, it takes minutes to fully boot up.

Shit, even checking text messages - press the text message button, it hangs for 30 seconds. Pull up the text message I want to view, hangs for 30 seconds. Try to scroll - hangs for 30 seconds. I type letters on the keyboard and it hangs for multiple seconds between key presses.

I've tried taking out the batter. I've tried killing all processes. I dont visit shady sites on my phone, I don't open weird emails, I don't really do anything with my phone beyond communicating - is this a virus somehow? How do I begin to diagnose this problem? Any ideas on how to service my phone? Is there a way to format and clean install everything?

Had the phone for a couple of years now without any problems. I also still have my Galaxy Note 2 and that still runs fine. I tend to take care of my stuff. This stuff started happening last night right before I went to bed - woke up and now it's even worse. Any help?

Jigolo

mm, like about 4 or 5 gb, I think? I tried to pull up the menu to see exactly how much space I have left, but it's hung up now for several minutes.

Mind walking me through this, or pointing me to a place where I can find out how to do this?
before you try anything try to free up some memory by deleting some apps you don't need. turn off the phone for 5 min then turn it on

if that doesn't work clear you system cache through bootloader

if that doesn't work try factory reset

Krejlooc

Banned
before you try anything try to free up some memory by deleting some apps you don't need. turn off the phone for 5 min then turn it on

Didn't work unfortunately

if that doesn't work clear you system cache through bootloader

if that doesn't work try factory reset

Is bootloader a pre-installed app or something I need to install manually?

So, problem, and I'm not sure how to diagnose or fix it - my Galaxy Note 4 has suddenly become extremely unresponsive. As in, within the last 12 hours. Everything is slow to the point of rendering the phone unusable. Example - I'll press the power button on the side to turn off the screen, and the phone will hang for a good 30 seconds until the screen turns off. It takes minutes to actually dial out. I have the S-window cover for the phone, and when I close it, it takes about 15-20 seconds for it to even register that it's closed. When I open it, it takes another 15-20 seconds for my phone to register that it's open.

Try this: How to factory reset the Galaxy Note 4 for better performance

Easy_G

Popping in for a quick question:

My Moto X 2013 is starting to lose its battery life, so I think it's finally time to upgrade. I want a decent phone that's small with a good battery life. Small phones seem few and far between, and in my own searching I think the Nexus 5X might be the best bet.

Are there other phones I should consider? And am I on the cusp of a new batch of phones coming out, meaning I should wait, or is now an okay time to buy a new one?

j-wood

July update has seemingly fucked the verizon radio on my 6p.

I'll have service, but no lte or 3g icon. Yet in settings it shows an LTE connection. I have to cycle airplane for it to come back

Jigolo

July update has seemingly fucked the verizon radio on my 6p.

I'll have service, but no lte or 3g icon. Yet in settings it shows an LTE connection. I have to cycle airplane for it to come back
dude there's a TON of hackers out there. these monthly updates are worth it even if it breaks stuff for that extra security. you know

I think my buddies S4 got seriously hacked the other day and my other friend with G4 got a virus. fyi these phones don't get these super important monthly security patches

Noema

Popping in for a quick question:

My Moto X 2013 is starting to lose its battery life, so I think it's finally time to upgrade. I want a decent phone that's small with a good battery life. Small phones seem few and far between, and in my own searching I think the Nexus 5X might be the best bet.

Are there other phones I should consider? And am I on the cusp of a new batch of phones coming out, meaning I should wait, or is now an okay time to buy a new one?

Best bet is to wait and see what 2016 brings in terms of the new Nexuses. There'll be a 5" version which supposedly has an SD820.

That said, if you absolutely must have a new phone now the 5x is not bad if you can get it for <$250. Hunt around Amazon, eBay or Newegg and it's not hard to find it discounted at around that price. Do not pay more than that for it.

Ty4on

Phones have temperature sensors and once it hits a certain temperature, it has to lower performance otherwise it will fry the CPU.

Under certain scenarios, 810 performance can be severely restricted.
I think the limiting factor in most phones is the users hands and battery health. Could be different on some though.

Chips can handle ~90-100C, but you wouldn't want that so close to your fingers.

Heat also means power consumption and the 810 devices generally regressed in battery life per mAh.

Furyous

I've used this LG G5 for all of five minutes and feel the need to post impressions:

Why does this fingerprint sensor feel so cheap? It feels cheap and hollow which surprises me given the cost of the device. Next year move the fingerprint sensor to the side.

This device is tall as shit. It's not nearly as wide as the G3 but it's about the same height.

Why did they implement modules as they are useless and mostly unavailable in the US?

This IR blaster is the shit tho and wifi speeds are great.

The PPI is more than worth it and the base design of the phone is great. The only problem is the back fingerprint sensor. and shit build quality.

One hand use kind of sucks on this device because it's damn tall. Does anyone with small hands have tricks for navigating this monstrosity?

It's fast but why is are all the icons so big? The navigation buttons are big as shit. I thought they got rid of the giant nav buttons after the G3.

That was my quick impressions as I repackage this device and take it back to the store tomorrow for a refund. I'm going to use the refund to purchase the H850 international version of this device with the FM radio and way faster OS updates in three months when the price drops on some Samsung S6 shit. I expect LG to start bundling $200 worth of freebies bringing the cost of this device down another even further.

By then all of us should know what 2016 flagships are Daydream compatible.

Furyous

I need Furyous' impressions on every phone released from here on out

I'm too picky to keep this up because I've disqualified most of the flagships this year from the privilege of my hands because of their issues.

I've used it for longer than five minutes at this point but I'm still meh on the device. The camera is great and may be the second best smartphone camera on the market. Video stabilization could use some work but other than that this device gets the job done. I've used for some things that don't need to be mentioned on the internets and it performed adequately. Still taking it back to get a refund because the build quality sucks, no FM radio, fuck waiting for a carrier update, and I was overcharged. This device is worth a strong $390. $400 is too much because the OP3 has great build quality at that price.

Is there a reason why LG can't decrease the size of the V20 and sell that as the G6? <--- Honest question.

wilflare

did a "Reset app preferences" - it's a bad bad idea. ugh

EDIT: is there a wiki of sorts that explains why some system apps need certain permissions
(e.g. why would Android Pay need storage permission?)

Easy_G

Best bet is to wait and see what 2016 brings in terms of the new Nexuses. There'll be a 5" version which supposedly has an SD820.

That said, if you absolutely must have a new phone now the 5x is not bad if you can get it for <$250. Hunt around Amazon, eBay or Newegg and it's not hard to find it discounted at around that price. Do not pay more than that for it.

Thanks!

Any idea when they'll be announcing the next Nexus phones?

Got myself one of them $33 kindles from Prime day and have been messing around with it. So far I've rooted it and put Cyanogen 12 on it (my first time ever doing such a thing). To my knowledge there's no CM13 on this Kindle Fire 7 inch.

However, there's some dumb thing where if you move apps to the SD card via the vanilla settings every app vanishes upon device reboot. The app that solves this requires a newer android version than I have. I'm not entirely sure on the technical side of things so please bear with me.

Is the Android version on Cyanogen "baked in", as in I need a newer version of Cyanogen if I wanted to update Android to Marshmallow so I can download the apps that require newer versions of Android? I know CM is a custom ROM but I don't know how it relates to Android in terms of the OS. I have what appears to be the most recent CM version that's compatible with this tablet, but I need a newer version of Android.

Krejlooc

Banned
So factory reset did nothing to solve my problems, and now my phone is crashing into a kernel panic mode regularly, and occasionally tried to download some file according to an "mmc read error"

googled around, this matches the symptoms perfectly: https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote...ut_kernel_panic_mode/?st=iqrptztb&sh=b2af79eb

seems my phone is dying. Good riddance, while the note 2 was an excellent phone and probably the best I've ever had, the note 4 has been a huge let down in every regard. What a crappy phone. I guess I can go back to my note 2 for a short while until I buy a new phone.

Saiyan-Rox

So factory reset did nothing to solve my problems, and now my phone is crashing into a kernel panic mode regularly, and occasionally tried to download some file according to an "mmc read error"

googled around, this matches the symptoms perfectly: https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote...ut_kernel_panic_mode/?st=iqrptztb&sh=b2af79eb

seems my phone is dying. Good riddance, while the note 2 was an excellent phone and probably the best I've ever had, the note 4 has been a huge let down in every regard. What a crappy phone. I guess I can go back to my note 2 for a short while until I buy a new phone.

Can you not install a custom ROM on there to fix it?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Exclusive: Sony Xperia F8331 photographed, shows brand new design

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

More at link. Looks cool

j-wood

I'm having a problem with android auto on my nexus 6p. It has just stopping doing anything with text messages/hangouts.

I use messenger for SMS, hangouts for it's base function. Android auto no longer reads out messages, instead it just does the google beep and then quits. Same thing if I hit the mic and try to send a text message. It just beeps then resets as if I just hit the mic.

What doesn't makes sense is that using voice to play music or set navigation still works fine. I've done a reboot, reinstalled the android auto app, made sure it still has all permissions, etc. Hasn't fixed it. Any ideas?

My radio is an aftermarket 8100 NEX.

Noema

Got myself one of them $33 kindles from Prime day and have been messing around with it. So far I've rooted it and put Cyanogen 12 on it (my first time ever doing such a thing). To my knowledge there's no CM13 on this Kindle Fire 7 inch.

However, there's some dumb thing where if you move apps to the SD card via the vanilla settings every app vanishes upon device reboot. The app that solves this requires a newer android version than I have. I'm not entirely sure on the technical side of things so please bear with me.

Is the Android version on Cyanogen "baked in", as in I need a newer version of Cyanogen if I wanted to update Android to Marshmallow so I can download the apps that require newer versions of Android? I know CM is a custom ROM but I don't know how it relates to Android in terms of the OS. I have what appears to be the most recent CM version that's compatible with this tablet, but I need a newer version of Android.

Each version of CM is built upon an specific version of Android.

So for example CM12 is based on Android 5.0; CM12.1 is based on 5.1 and CM13 is based on 6.0. So in order to update to Marshmallow you'd need a build of CM13. There's no official builds of that, but there are some unofficial (community built) ones out there if you're feeling bold.

Top Bottom