• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Noema

how was that 4k sony phone from a year or 2 ago? I assume it was kick ass for cardboard?

It had a 4k display but 99% of the time it rendered the screen at 1080p. It only showed 4k content when viewing photos within the built in gallery app and certain video apps. I don't know if YouTube can run cardboard on it at 4k.

Each version of CM is built upon an specific version of Android.

So for example CM12 is based on Android 5.0; CM12.1 is based on 5.1 and CM13 is based on 6.0. So in order to update to Marshmallow you'd need a build of CM13. There's no official builds of that, but there are some unofficial (community built) ones out there if you're feeling bold.

Nice, thanks a bunch!

I'm gonna be as bold as I can with this thing. I've had a Note 5 since last year but have never attempted to root/put a custom ROM on it since, well, it's a multi-hundred dollar phone that wasn't bought out-right so there's considerable risk. I bought this 7 inch Kindle specifically to mess around with this kind of thing with none of the "oh fuck I might brick this" anxiety attached.

Halcyon

So I gotta Moto X pure on Amazon Prime day and it is the best phone that I have ever used I am obsessed with it. I took a bunch of photos outside over the weekend and they all are amazing. Granted I'm coming from a first gen Moto G so I've been kind of out of the loop for a while.

Jeffrey

So I gotta Moto X pure on Amazon Prime day and it is the best phone that I have ever used I am obsessed with it. I took a bunch of photos outside over the weekend and they all are amazing. Granted I'm coming from a first gen Moto G so I've been kind of out of the loop for a while.

Can't go wrong with it really for the price for a 1440p phone.

Noema

I went from a first gen Moto G to a Nexus 6 which is similar in many respects to the X Pure and I know exactly how you feel.

mackattk

You would be shocked. I've seen 50 dollar gift cards go for 60 on ebay. I don't know what kind of situation it makes sense in but its there.

Yeah that has happened... not sure how often it does anymore, but people buy gift cards with paypal because they don't have a debit/credit card.. its one of the loopholes someone can do to get something from amazon... its been years since i have looked at it though.

Preordered it from B+H... it is too good of a deal to pass up... might cancel depending on reviews, but for essentially $325, that's a crazy deal. Coming from a Note 3 this is going be a massive upgrade.

Yeah that has happened... not sure how often it does anymore, but people buy gift cards with paypal because they don't have a debit/credit card.. its one of the loopholes someone can do to get something from amazon... its been years since i have looked at it though.

Preordered it from B+H... it is too good of a deal to pass up... might cancel depending on reviews, but for essentially $325, that's a crazy deal. Coming from a Note 3 this is going be a massive upgrade.

How much does a used Note 3 go for on eBay? You can fund with some of that.

Jeffrey

Same. Bh does have a 30 day return policy if everything turns out crap.

Impressions from China seem generally positive though.

So my Nexus 5 USB port just broke which sucks as I had no real qualms or issues with the phone (except for the battery life), so it looks like I'm getting a new phone. I had planned on waiting till later this year, but looks like my plans have changed. I have a free 2 year upgrade so it isn't a cost issue (it's mostly not being able to buy a new one when I wanted).

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions. Some things I really value are
* Minimal bloatware. I had a Galaxy S2 way back, but moving to a Nexus with stock google, and having it updated right when new Android versions are released is awesome
* Expandable storage is nice, but as long as the phone has a 32GB option I should be alright
* Not too large. I probably won't find another sub 5" phone, but the closer to 5.0" the better

Noema

So my Nexus 5 USB port just broke which sucks as I had no real qualms or issues with the phone (except for the battery life), so it looks like I'm getting a new phone. I had planned on waiting till later this year, but looks like my plans have changed. I have a free 2 year upgrade so it isn't a cost issue (it's mostly not being able to buy a new one when I wanted).

* Minimal bloatware. I had a Galaxy S2 way back, but moving to a Nexus with stock google, and having it updated right when new Android versions are released is awesome
* Expandable storage is nice, but as long as the phone has a 32GB option I should be alright
* Not too large. I probably won't find another sub 5" phone, but the closer to 5.0" the better

Nexus 5x fits your needs. You can probably find it for cheaper if you shop around a bit.

Jeffrey

The North American version has a bigger battery. There will improvements for us so China's reaction bodes well.

The biggest knocks seem to be some quality issues, ala slightly not perfectly aligned volume buttons, and some displays have a way too high sensitivity with the touch screen (hovering over the screen recognizes as a touch occasionally).

Not too uncommon issues from chinese devices where you aren't gonna get Apple levels of QA. , but I hope they can sort this stuff out for US release,

Speaking of which new ZTE zmax pro. 6-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 617, 2GB of RAM, 32 gb with sd card support, fingerprint scanner, 3,400 mAh battery for $100. (metropc tho).

$100 phones these days... damn.

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_unveils...isplay_snapdragon_617_chipset_-news-19474.php

Shouldn't you be quite happy with the suggestions for a new phone, you could easily replace the USB port, if you're comfortable with opening the phone. The USB port sits on a flex cable with the speaker and microphone.

thenexus6

Got a Moto G 2015 recently, everything I need in a phone.. expect for the "ghost touch" problem. Apparently almost everyone experiences it. It's really really annoying me not sure what I should do..

Shouldn't you be quite happy with the suggestions for a new phone, you could easily replace the USB port, if you're comfortable with opening the phone. The USB port sits on a flex cable with the speaker and microphone.

I actually did look into this and bought the part. I'll try that first, considering worst case I'd need to buy a new phone anyway

wilflare

I think you can set Google photos to create a copy to Google Drive. That copy should keep the timestamp. Dropbox camera upload should also keep the timestamp when syncing to a local folder.

thanks!
for some reason, Google Photos isn't really working out for me (the app keeps saying that the file isn't backed up when it shows up on the web Google Photos)
- restoring photos (i.e. downloading the photo from Google Photo to the phone) does not save it to the DCIM folder but the Downloads folder

Dropbox Camera upload works but they change the file name and does not respect folders.

I was hoping this would be simple (i.e. connect the phone to the PC, copy the files over)
but it seems like even copying the files over from the phone to PC will change the Date Created.

Is there a way to transfer files and keep the following?
EXIF
Date Created
Date Modified

FFP2

Caved and got the S7 and holy shit it's amazing.

7hrs SOT and most of that was with Pokemon Go. Camera is great.

Noema

Is there a way to transfer files and keep the following?
EXIF
Date Created
Date Modified

Only thing I can think of is putting all the files you want to transfer in a .zip file, transferring them to the new destination and then unzipping them.

Mindwipe

Caved and got the S7 and holy shit it's amazing.

7hrs SOT and most of that was with Pokemon Go. Camera is great.

If they made a small S7 Edge with similar specs I'd buy it in a heartbeat at this point. But I can't even hold the thing, I've tried.

Really need the new Note to come out.

Sick and tired of my Nexus 6 taking forever to focus for pictures. Lose so many moments with my daughter.

Hopefully by the time the Note is out the 2016 Nexus lineup will be announced so I can decide between those.

Jigolo

Really need the new Note to come out.

Sick and tired of my Nexus 6 taking forever to focus for pictures. Lose so many moments with my daughter.

Hopefully by the time the Note is out the 2016 Nexus lineup will be announced so I can decide between those.

I don't think it'll be officially announced but we'll definitely see more leaks on Nexus devices from now to Aug 2nd. I do think we won't have to wait much longer after that for Nexus devices to be honest, an announcement sometime in late Aug/ early Sep and launch in September

Groof

Fitting that the first screen I ever crack is the 6p. This thing has definitely endured a lot. Looking mad torn up

Jeffrey

Looks like the BH Photo Gift Card went down to $25 from $75 for the Axon 7.. Still not a bad deal.

glad I jumped ahead.

Hope y'all selected to have items ship as soon as possible. The gift card and the headset is prepping for shipment right now, which is nice of them.

rarely see preorder stuff having this option

I don't think it'll be officially announced but we'll definitely see more leaks on Nexus devices from now to Aug 2nd. I do think we won't have to wait much longer after that for Nexus devices to be honest, an announcement sometime in late Aug/ early Sep and launch in September

Yeah, final N dev preview being out gives me hope for that.

I think Samsung's event is Aug 4th. How wild would it be if they announced there that the Note 7 comes with Nougat?

Jeffrey

Yeah, final N dev preview being out gives me hope for that.

I think Samsung's event is Aug 4th. How wild would it be if they announced there that the Note 7 comes with Nougat?

Samsung is an announced partner for DayDream VR, would be interesting if the 7 supports that as well as gear VR?

Man. That'd be something else.

Not gonna happen, but if it did..

I think I'm okay with getting a Samsung phone now. Camera is top priority for me.

Mokubba

Has Sony giving up on tablets?

My Tablet Z is getting vertical lines on the screen and I was thinking of waiting till IFA to see what they have but it just seems like they're done with tablets. No rumors from what I've seen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

My Tablet Z is getting vertical lines on the screen and I was thinking of waiting till IFA to see what they have but it just seems like they're done with tablets. No rumors from what I've seen.

Everyone has given up on Android tablets.

We've yet to get a new flagship tablet this whole year.

Jeffrey

Android tablets is pretty much dead if you look at what google is doing these days, basically adding native android app support on chromeOS.

the Tablet fad is over. most people are happy with $50 Amazon burner tablets.

Top Bottom