• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

mackattk

What Straight Talk Sim card do I need to buy for my ZTE AXON 7?

Going by here: http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_axon_7-8067.php

Looks like its a nano sim.

QUOTE=Dr. Kitty Muffins;210600279]There was some MUCH higher than expected demand, I bet. The ZTE Axon 7 has been getting some buzz around the forums hang out at, and some of the deal sites too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this thing checks off most of the things I would want in a phone, other than IR blaster, removable battery, and wireless charging. The first two are something we are seeing less and less of these days, so whatever. Wireless charging would have been fantastic to have, but it isn't a dealbreaker - especially for the price.

I am anxiously waiting for reviews to come out for it; but it would have to be something seriously wrong with it for me to cancel the preorder...

You'd think reviews would test that.

that's the thing... in their article, they said they did test it in reviews...

In the course of testing for our original review, we dunked the S7 Active in water, put it under the shower, and ran it under the sink. Our first submersion test simulated a more gentle dunking, the kind you'd probably encounter in day-to-day life. It went into a vase filled with tap water for 20 minutes and emerged unscathed.

it's just that when they went back for this article and tried deeper water, it started failing.

Going by here: http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_axon_7-8067.php

Looks like its a nano sim.

QUOTE=Dr. Kitty Muffins;210600279]There was some MUCH higher than expected demand, I bet. The ZTE Axon 7 has been getting some buzz around the forums hang out at, and some of the deal sites too.

Yeah, this thing checks off most of the things I would want in a phone, other than IR blaster, removable battery, and wireless charging. The first two are something we are seeing less and less of these days, so whatever. Wireless charging would have been fantastic to have, but it isn't a dealbreaker - especially for the price.

I am anxiously waiting for reviews to come out for it; but it would have to be something seriously wrong with it for me to cancel the preorder...[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I just ordered it. I'm going to put my ZTE AXON 7 on Straight Talk with the 10GB plan. I grabbed the nano card that runs off of ATT towers. I hope to stream anime in my car during lunch at work. Ill put my Funimation subscription to good use.

wilflare

Only thing I can think of is putting all the files you want to transfer in a .zip file, transferring them to the new destination and then unzipping them.

do you mean that for Android to PC as well/

---
I foolishly used "Reset App Preferences" and reset the permissions for my phone, resulting in the turning off of permissions for all my system and user apps Is there a list somewhere showing the default permissions so I can restore them?

Noema

do you mean that for Android to PC as well/

Yup. Otherwise your PC OS will create the new files with the new dates. EXIF data will remain the same regardless.

I foolishly used "Reset App Preferences" and reset the permissions for my phone, resulting in the turning off of permissions for all my system and user apps Is there a list somewhere showing the default permissions so I can restore them?

On Marshmallow? I doesn't really matter since apps will ask you for their required permissions as they need them.

Really digging the latest N beta. Love how the quick reply window doesn't go away after first use. That way, I can send a second (or third) text response without going into the app. Running great on my Nexus 6.

Ledbetter

How well does the Galaxy S5 hold up? I see that it can be upgraded to Marshmallow, so the camera, the battery and the performance of the Snapdragon 801 are my main concerns.

Hitta93

Banned
How well does the Galaxy S5 hold up? I see that it can be upgraded to Marshmallow, so the camera, the battery and the performance of the Snapdragon 801 are my main concerns.

Currently using one right now. Front camera isn't the best, but the rear is still up to snuff for 2016 standards. Performance is still very good and battery is solid.

Jeffrey

Not sure about the s5, but my parents still have one plus one's with the same processor and they run fine.

I feel like android runs smooth on a huge range of phones these days, its only wonky if the OEM messes up.

clav

I would upgrade to one if the price weren't so high.

If you can get it for $100, then it's worth it.

Install CM13 on it.

I'm just not seeing what is supposed to be the big deal with Moto Mods. I feel like with exception to the Projector Mod everything they have shown thus far could be accomplished by a regular phone case. Battery Packs? Get a battery case. Extended Speaker? Get a speaker case? Different styles and appearances? Huh sounds like a case to me.

It feel likes a terrible idea and I am not sure what is supposed to be so groundbreaking about it. I think modular phones could be cool if implemented correctly, but this isn't the way to do it and I feel like it is even worse than what LG was trying to do in some ways.

Jeffrey

Like what is even the use case for a speaker case on a phone?

You can get better portable speakers with line in, and bluetooth speakers offer more utility.

I'm surprised there isn't a moto mod with a decent DAC and headphone jack.

Ledbetter

Thanks for the responses, I think I might end up getting one.
Not sure about the s5, but my parents still have one plus one's with the same processor and they run fine.

I feel like android runs smooth on a huge range of phones these days, its only wonky if the OEM messes up.
Well, I was kind of worried about the processor because I read that the 810 tends to heat a lot, but I didn't know much about the 801.
I would upgrade to one if the price weren't so high.

If you can get it for $100, then it's worth it.

Install CM13 on it.
I don't think I can get it that cheap, smartphones are really expensive around here. I assume you aren't too fond of TouchWiz.

Quasar

I'm just not seeing what is supposed to be the big deal with Moto Mods. I feel like with exception to the Projector Mod everything they have shown thus far could be accomplished by a regular phone case. Battery Packs? Get a battery case. Extended Speaker? Get a speaker case? Different styles and appearances? Huh sounds like a case to me.

It feel likes a terrible idea and I am not sure what is supposed to be so groundbreaking about it. I think modular phones could be cool if implemented correctly, but this isn't the way to do it and I feel like it is even worse than what LG was trying to do in some ways.

Well I'd like to see something like a blood glucose meter, or other sensors as adons to make my tricorder dream come true. With usb3 headphones I'm less keen on better dacs in the phones.

wilflare

Yup. Otherwise your PC OS will create the new files with the new dates. EXIF data will remain the same regardless.

On Marshmallow? I doesn't really matter since apps will ask you for their required permissions as they need them.

thanks man! I got somewhat worried my WhatsApp stopped working and there was no prompt to access my contacts :/

FFP2

If they made a small S7 Edge with similar specs I'd buy it in a heartbeat at this point. But I can't even hold the thing, I've tried.

Yeah, I held the Edge and it was way too big for me. Even the S7 flat is kinda unwieldy imo.

Waiting for my own to come in from TMobile.

First Samsung phone I've ever owned after being a pretty loyal HTC fan.

It's definitely worth it. I've seen so many websites/users that call it the best smartphone ever made. Only issue I have with it so far is that there isn't a lot of detail when you zoom in on photos.

How is touchwiz these days?

Hearing mixed things about how it looks and performs even on the s7.

It drops frames sometimes but it's been extremely smooth otherwise.

They have a Theme store with a ton of varied themes so looks are pretty much up to you. The AMOLED/pure black one I have looks amazing.

Jeffrey

Well I'd like to see something like a blood glucose meter, or other sensors as adons to make my tricorder dream come true. With usb3 headphones I'm less keen on better dacs in the phones.

This seems like something that'd happen with future iphones (they've always been up and up with health and working with the medical industry), not sure if this moto mods will go anywhere...

Has there been anymore LG add-ons announced? Have most of them even arrived in the US? I swear the options in the US were quite limited compare to the rest of the world.

potato cam footage of Note 7 (edge?)

https://youtu.be/o7SwCyP17ss

Wonder if all their flagship phones will be curved screens at some point, and just ditch the 'normal' version if they can get the price down?

The Edge model really is the differentiator Samsung has over other phone companies, and I've seen more Edge's than normal s7's around here.

longdi

Banned
Does the Note7 seems even more 'edge to edge' than S7e? Where teh side bezels??

It must the silver trimming on the sides being removed?

AndyD

aka andydumi

Biggest would be that it does not add to the footprint of the phone, just thickness. Some phones are already about as large as a pocket will accomodate, but very thin. Making it thicker won't change pocketability, whereas adding 3/4 of on inch on the bottom for the connection in current battery cases can alter it entirely.

Jeffrey

Biggest would be that it does not add to the footprint of the phone, just thickness. Some phones are already about as large as a pocket will accomodate, but very thin. Making it thicker won't change pocketability, whereas adding 3/4 of on inch on the bottom for the connection in current battery cases can alter it entirely.

or just stop wearing skinny jeans.

Mindwipe

Also for those of us who have problems with larger phones that addition makes typing considerably less comfortable. It's one of the reasons that I always regarded iPhone battery cases as completely useless.

Speaking of security patches, I wonder if Google is going to fix the volume bug for Nexus 5 users, that was introduced with the July update, before the next security update hits.

It's some really annoying shit.

jokkir

Is there an easier way to take one adopted storage and transfer it to another sd card? I think the one on my phone is dying and need to switch it but it's taking way too long

Jeffrey

Is there an easier way to take one adopted storage and transfer it to another sd card? I think the one on my phone is dying and need to switch it but it's taking way too long

not from what I can tell from researching this recently. only way is to transfer your media off it from usb, or move to internal.

bummer, b/c I kinda love adaptive storage. Annoying to manage SD cards especially with a lot of apps not even having the option to have dled data save directly to the sd card.

Agent

Not all that surprising. I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. I'm guessing it will silence the people who brag about using 100+ GB of data per month.

I'm on unlimited, but average about 12 GB per month. It's clear they want to get rid of unlimited data so I suspect it's only a matter of time before it happens. I can't imagine there are many people left with unlimited.

MANUELF

Banned
Motorola Moto G 4ta Generacion Plus, 5.5", Cámara 16Mp, 32GB, Procesador Snapdragon 617 Octo-Core, Android Marshmallow 6.0.1, color Blanco, XT1641

Is that a good enough phone?

Jeffrey

Motorola Moto G 4ta Generacion Plus, 5.5", Cámara 16Mp, 32GB, Procesador Snapdragon 617 Octo-Core, Android Marshmallow 6.0.1, color Blanco, XT1641

It's good enough, but for $250 usd, there are quite a few better phones from 2015 you can buy with that money (moto x pure, nexus 5x).

Noema

It's pretty good but I suggest you get the regular Moto G4, not the plus. It's almost 1500 pesos cheaper and I don't think the fingerprint scanner and slightly better camera are worth the difference in price.

Top Bottom