• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

inm8num2

Ah shit, I made a thread and didn't check here first.

Yea, it's not surprising and the writing's been on the wall for awhile. Verizon's been gradually moving people away from unlimited data by removing the ability to upgrade and keep UDP (loopholes notwithstanding), raising out of contract data fees, introducing throttled unlimited data, etc.

I'm on contract until fall 2017, and by that point UDP could be completely gone. If they end it before then I'll probably move to Project Fi. I need to get a new phone pretty soon, and when the new Nexus devices come out I'll either spring for one of those or just get a 6P to hold me over as well as make the transition to Fi (or another compatible provider) smoother.

MANUELF

Banned
It's pretty good but I suggest you get the regular Moto G4, not the plus. It's almost 1500 pesos cheaper and I don't think the fingerprint scanner and slightly better camera are worth the difference in price.

From what I found is only 1000 pesos cheaper, it doesnt come in white which I prefer and it also has half the storage that Im sooooo looking forward to have more, my actual phone only has 4 GB and it has been a nightmare between not being able to pass my programs to the sd card, they ALWAYS downloading to the internal memory and it simply not being enough to not have to worry about running out of space and also I bought in Amazon with months without interest and is my mother gift so Im pretty happy with it, I just wanted to upgrade to a better phone from my Galaxy Core 2

Ezalc

I hope it's ok to ask for some help here with this as I don't really keep up to date with all the new phones coming out. I have a Nexus 4 that I've been using for a while and it's time to replace it, I was thinking of sticking with android and have been looking at the Moto G4 Plus. I can put more memory through mini sd cards which the nexus didn't have and it looks like it has a good camera, which the nexus also didn't have. The price seems to be good too, is there any other phone that is reasonably priced mid range that would be a better choice? I don't do anything fancy with the phone, I just want one where I can take a nice picture once in a while. Thanks for any help guys.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hope it's ok to ask for some help here with this as I don't really keep up to date with all the new phones coming out. I have a Nexus 4 that I've been using for a while and it's time to replace it, I was thinking of sticking with android and have been looking at the Moto G4 Plus. I can put more memory through mini sd cards which the nexus didn't have and it looks like it has a good camera, which the nexus also didn't have. The price seems to be good too, is there any other phone that is reasonably priced mid range that would be a better choice? I don't do anything fancy with the phone, I just want one where I can take a nice picture once in a while. Thanks for any help guys.

Nexus 5X

Check around as its constantly on sale for sub $250.

I wouldn't pay $250-$300 for a Snap 617 phone.

Ezalc

Nexus 5X

Check around as its constantly on sale for sub $250.

I wouldn't pay $250-$300 for a Snap 617 phone.

The camera seems to be worse than the Moto G4+ and there's no card slot to expand the memory though. These two things bothered me a good deal with the Nexus 4, why has google chosen not to add a card slot?

Jeffrey

The camera seems to be worse than the Moto G4+ and there's no card slot to expand the memory though. These two things bothered me a good deal with the Nexus 4, why has google chosen not to add a card slot?

its weird when one of the biggest features of marshmallow is the adaptable storage with sd card lol.

OK, I'm looking to upgrade from my old crappy Xperia Tipo to something better. Max is maybe around 200 euroes. I'd like something that has more than 2.9 storage and a card slot so I can just swap over my card full of music. Nothing too big as I have tiny girl hands.

kami_sama

I know custom ROM's are dying more and more (Well imo they are) but they're still good when companies stop supporting phones or they have a really shit OS but this is such a shit move.

http://www.xda-developers.com/stric...r-correction-to-come-with-android-7-0-nougat/

This doesn't mean anything to custom ROMs.
It is only for locked bootloaders, it means more security for android.
Root with looked bootloaders will be affected though. But the same exploits used for that kind of root were also used for virus and other things.

Mindwipe

OK, I'm looking to upgrade from my old crappy Xperia Tipo to something better. Max is maybe around 200 euroes. I'd like something that has more than 2.9 storage and a card slot so I can just swap over my card full of music. Nothing too big as I have tiny girl hands.

You could probably pick up an Xperia Z3 Compact for slightly above your budget. Long term software support, would be a significant step up from your old device, probably the smallest "good phone" without massively overshooting.

Depends on your definition of "nothing too big" tbh.

Saiyan-Rox

just need to get a device with an unlockable bootloader. support the devices that support your freedom.

This doesn't mean anything to custom ROMs.
It is only for locked bootloaders, it means more security for android.
Root with looked bootloaders will be affected though. But the same exploits used for that kind of root were also used for virus and other things.

Yeah but Google are getting worse with it just wait until they put measures in place to stop it completely. the little boot delay the put in now when you unlock your bootloader also annoys me....I think on the Pixel C especially it's 15s before it'll boot up. although I see no need at all to do anything to my Pixel C.

but yeah if it's mainly for locked and unlockable ones i'll stick to Nexus and OP but this year i'm way more exited over the fact of Googles Pixel Phone if it indeed exists.

Asgaro

Praise be to Sony for replacing the awful stock Battery Saver functionality in the latest Concept ROM update:
haptic feedback should (in my opinion) always be enabled if you are used to that, even when a battery savings mode is enabled.

It feels horrible when suddenly going into battery savings mode and not having haptic feedback for the navigation bar and keyboard :)

x6hF9iG.png

Jeffrey

Well my dad is buying the force, so there's one.

He likes the shatter proof screen and really wants the speaker attachment. He also doesn't own a pair of headphones and hasn't owned any my entire life.

for someone that doesn't use headphones, I'm surprised he'd be the kinda guy that even uses smartphones, let alone use them to consume media :p

for someone that doesn't use headphones, I'm surprised he'd be the kinda guy that even uses smartphones, let alone use them to consume media :p

He does a lot of other stuff, youtube, Facebook, uses Google maps a lot, video calls, ect. He even has music on the phone, but he just likes to play it out of the speaker. Which is why he likes the sound boost mod.

Jeffrey

Maybe they're rolling out the patch? I updated a couple of weeks ago.

nvm just checked. Moto X isn't even on 6.0.1 yet lol. Wonder if google ever figure out the security issues for android. Say what you want about apple, at the very least they can patch vulnerabilities within weeks and send them out to all devices.

Was just reading that Salesforce android app will only support nexus and samsung (officially) just because of security.

He does a lot of other stuff, youtube, Facebook, uses Google maps a lot, video calls, ect. He even has music on the phone, but he just likes to play it out of the speaker. Which is why he likes the sound boost mod.

seems like a good phone for him then.

I do wonder if those bluetooth speaker cases sell decently?

Quick google got me this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z1OPQOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That would go to the ZTE AXON 7 that i am buying. At $399, it is a better phone with or without that price point.

It's not gonna do anything near the big name phones, but the axon 7 has been getting decent hype so far, and I assume preorders are good enough for B&H to remove the old $75 gift card promo.

Still am a bit worried about the lack of any reviews or previews of the US version which is shipping in less than a week.

It's not gonna do anything near the big name phones, but the axon 7 has been getting decent hype so far, and I assume preorders are good enough for B&H to remove the old $75 gift card promo.

Still am a bit worried about the lack of any reviews or previews of the US version which is shipping in less than a week.

Reviewers have only had beta units to test until this week.

mackattk

I am also wondering if there is a review embargo for the Axon 7's.. I keep checking everyday though hoping to get some impressions on it.

Was just reading that Salesforce android app will only support nexus and samsung (officially) just because of security.
strangely, when i looked it up, the article said they were doing it because of ~~~~~fragmentation~~~~~ and they weren't actually blocking installs on other devices, they just wouldn't offer tech support if the device wasn't on their list.

Jeffrey

strangely, when i looked it up, the article said they were doing it because of ~~~~~fragmentation~~~~~ and they weren't actually blocking installs on other devices, they just wouldn't offer tech support if the device wasn't on their list.

yeah the wording is weird, as in will you be able to install it from play store on other platforms?

Having done enough SF consulting work in my life, 'fragmentation' is bs lol. It's mostly due to security (nexus and samsung are typically the highest scoring android devices when reviewed for vulnerability from security firms due to them being pretty consistent with security updates).

I've never met a company that had non samsung/apple company phones these days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Qualcomm really needs to sort out its midrange lineup. So many different handsets still releasing with so many different 6XX chipsets.

Not to mention pricing means a lot of phones with 8XX series chipsets end up in the sub $300 range now.

Jeffrey

More like Moto zzz amirite?

reviews have been surprisingly positive from what I can tell. Not sure who's gonna buy this though.

It's hilarious that the base model doesn't support wireless charging, but 1 of the battery packs do, so the only way to listen to headphones while charging is with an attached battery mod and the adapter?

cool?

On the other note, idol 4 reviews are out today. You get a lot for $350, but with axon 7 and opo3 offering way better specs for similar price... not sure if the shoddy VR goggles are worth the performance difference?

Doesn't even support Daydream.

Oh Motorola.....
The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700.

Hello Android GAF.

After years and years with my old basic cellphone, it died two weeks ago and I decided to finally get a smart phone. So I was wondering, what are the best apps for security? The simpler and with less ads the better.

Thanks in advance!!!

Everyone has given up on Android tablets.

We've yet to get a new flagship tablet this whole year.

Android tablets is pretty much dead if you look at what google is doing these days, basically adding native android app support on chromeOS.

These. Even I'm about to switch back to smartphones/phablets once the newest Google Nexus phones comes out (I've had a 2013 Google Nexus 7 tablet since March of last year).

Why bother with a tablet for using apps plus internet surfing, & using a ordinary phone for calls, texting & messaging when you can do it all under one device using a smartphone/phablet/iPhone instead?

Top Bottom