• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hitta93

Banned
If there's one thing I'm impressed by 3 hours in of being a S7 owner, it's the camera.
Looks like a good improvement over the G4 in daylight.

Quasar

Why bother with a tablet for using apps, & using a ordinary phone for calls, texting & messaging when you can do it all under one device using a smartphone/phablet instead?

Well I certainly much prefer separate devices. Much prefer a big screen for reading and games, but want a small phone for my pocket.

And if I'm honest I use my iPad much more than I do my phone. Hell if I could afford it I'd probably be upgrading to a iPad Pro.

Which is a bit frustrating as I would like my tablet to be an Android one.

mackattk

Best Buy already offering $200 off the Moto Z and Force and throwing in the JBL mod for free. Bomba.

Not much different than the b1g1 free deals that the Samsung phones had. Hell, the note 7 will have the same deal at T-Mobile. I think they just shot themselves in the foot by not having a headphone jack. Apparently based on the reviews its a really nice phone. Just the battery life on the vanilla z is kind of poor.

Quasar

for how long though? They seemed to have given up on their 2015 flagship phone with meaningful updates. It's not even on 6.0.1 yet.

That's the thing with all these device makers. For security at least it should be like Microsoft and Windows support. And somehow I suspect the only way that would happen would be regulation. Not that that would ever happen in the US, the EU maybe.

DP5 man YouTube burns through battery unless it always did but it's reporting it better now. Also my 3% for 1 hour SOT is gone from marshmallow. Getting 7% for 1 1/2 hours

Moto Z and Force will receive monthly security updates according to Lenovo.

Either the earlier news was mistaken, or Lenovo is backpedaling after the outcry.

Or you added monthly to a byline that doesn't say monthly.

Android Central said:
While Moto left a little wiggle room — neglecting to say if they'd receive patches monthly, as Google pushes them, or on some other schedule — that's a far cry from the implication that its newest flagships would be left out to dry at launch.
Monthly is the keyword
ArsTechnica said:
The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700

Jeffrey

So does the US version of the axon 7 come with a case?

Having a hard time finding any cases on amazon or what not (duh).

This will be my first type-c device in the house, any brands y'all recommend thats decently priced on amazon? I remember there was some controversy over cheap ones earlier.

Joe

Do not disturb is the worst. I just want to easily be able to silence notifications but still hear videos. Really annoying.

Groof

The only options are total silence, alarms only, or priorities and priorities doesn't have an option for sound - only alarms, events, and reminders.

What phone are you on? Like Hasney said, DND works exactly like that,

Joe

What phone are you on? Like Hasney said, DND works exactly like that,
Moto G4. DND is total silence on everything including video.

Pic of DND and options:

kicGANe.jpg

Is that any different from your phones?

Hasney

Moto G4. DND is total silence on everything including video.

Pic of DND and options:

Is that any different from your phones?

No, looks exactly the same, but video audio will play with it on.

Have you tried turning up the volume while a video plays?

Joe

No, looks exactly the same, but video audio will play with it on.

Have you tried turning up the volume while a video plays?
Oh God I hope it's not that. Will check now.

Edit: nope. Won't let me turn volume up on a video unless I disable DND.

Hasney

Only other thing I can think of is to hit a volume button while DND is active and then click the arrow to the right of it to bring the drop down, and change the media volume from there if possible (the one with a music note).

If not, then there's some weird-ass Motorola software thing going on here.

Joe

Only other thing I can think of is to hit a volume button while DND is active and then click the arrow to the right of it to bring the drop down, and change the media volume from there if possible (the one with a music note).

If not, then there's some weird-ass Motorola software thing going on here.
Yeah I tried that and the sliders are grayed out and can't be adjusted. It's definitely weird and pretty frustrating.

Thanks for the help anyways though, appreciate it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

This will be my first type-c device in the house, any brands y'all recommend thats decently priced on amazon? I remember there was some controversy over cheap ones earlier.

Yeah, it comes with a clear TPU case. I'm having tough time finding a case too since, you know, TPU cases are mostly trash

mackattk

Everything I saw says it comes with a clear TPU-like case. Won't be the most ideal case for me, but it should be good enough to hold me over until I find something I like.

mackattk

Jeffrey

I guess I assumed this was the US Version.. maybe its not: http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1322212/review

I also want to know if this case will work like the one with Samsung phones. If you turn it on while the case is closed, is there a quick menu for things like camera, calls, etc?

https://www.zteusa.com/axon7-clear-view-folio-case

seems like that site just has the preproduction units that most sites got before (think finalized US version will have haptic buttons on the bottom?).

Hi AndroidGAF,

I just upgraded my 1st-gen Moto G to a Moto X Pure and I'm loving the massive screen but I'm already very nervous about transporting the thing around. I put my phone in my pockets/bags a lot and the official flip case for the G did a lot to ease my mind:

Looking on Amazon it looks like the cases that cover the screen are few, poorly-made, and ugly. Am I SOL when it comes to cases or should I rethink the way I carry my phone around entirely?

Symphonia

Banned
What's the best stock Android smartphone I can pick up for between £200-£300? I'd like one with 4GB RAM, 1080p screen, ability to use Android Pay, and a decent camera.

reKon

Banned
What's the best stock Android smartphone I can pick up for between £200-£300? I'd like one with 4GB RAM, 1080p screen, ability to use Android Pay, and a decent camera.

One Plus 2. If you can spend an extra 30 over, then get the One Plus 3. I would go for the One Plus 3 for sure.

wilflare

SwiftKey has been serving me very well but I've been thinking of just simplifying my phone use.

How is Google Keyboard working out for you guys?

Groof

SwiftKey has been serving me very well but I've been thinking of just simplifying my phone use.

How is Google Keyboard working out for you guys?

it's much improved. i still would prefer to be using fleksy, but that's dead now.
swipe prediction is still a bit iffy but overall they've improved it a lot.

Top Bottom