• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Worth the money?

Only used it for a bit, but it's definitely nice. Got the update and the RAM issues that apparently plagued the phone is non-existent. Screen issue is overblown. sRGB is garbage. Turned that shit right back off. Fingerprint is amazing. It's fast and accurate. Much better than my HTC 10.

Jzero

Here's my Moto 360

RIP in peace.

I might get that refurb Moto 360 gen2 for $149.99. I'm worried the Google Watch will destroy my wallet when it's out judging by the other watches out now.

That happened to mine months ago. Seriously never buying anything by Motorola anymore. I bought a replacement back and it was even shittier.

demented

Note 7 only 3500mah?

29367-ef0fb187_720_419.jpg

/hugs my S7Edge

Unless N7 does have 6GB and RGB AMOLED

I'll be disappointed if it's anything below 4000mah, will likely get S7Edge then, if not note 7 for sure, even tho it will be x2 over my budget lol

Furyous

Where the FUCK are the sub 5 inch flagships 🙄

Sony save us 😫

*starts a bonfire*
*encloses mile wide area with a dome*
*tosses in millions of Z compact series smartphones*

Unfortunately our dream is over. Our campaign lost. No OEM gives a fuck about sub 5 inch flagships.

The closest we get is the LG G5 but that feels huge as shit in the hand. It might as well be 5.5 inches. Maybe LG will take a hint and release a 4.7 inch version of G5 to compete with Samsung next year.

Any chance this would happen sooner? They already know it performed badly in sales.

Nah, we need LG to get as desperate as Samsung was in 2015 and start taking off $200 at retail just to move inventory. By mid September early October the G5 should cost enough for me to be able to deal with the shit build quality.

Jeffrey

wow my brother's cheap ass idol 3 is on 6.0.1 and with june security update

while moto x pure is still on 6.0 and may security.

So much has changed since lenovo bought moto...

what other flagship phones of 2015 is slacking on the updates?

I'll be disappointed if it's anything below 4000mah, will likely get S7Edge then, if not note 7 for sure, even tho it will be x2 over my budget lol

All you need is something like the newest 5.5" Google Nexus smartphone (which automatically comes unlocked) with 128 GB's of internal memory,

Plus this...

And this.

And don't forget to download the app for the second linked item here, as that's required.

Voila, there's your Samsung Galaxy Note with Samsung Pay. All for hundreds of dollars less!

Limit

*Checks nexus 6p
*Checks specs
*Looks at battery capacity

"3450 mAh? This is a peasant phone dammit! I've been had."

*Closes tab

Can someone save Android tablet land? Nobody has released a god damn thing all fucking year.

Android tablets are all dying & are going the way of iPods. Even iPads are starting to.

Most people nowadays just want Android Smartphones/Phablets or Apple iPhones in which they can carry their phones in their pockets & want to use apps, surf the internet & make phone calls, messages, texting, etc. everywhere they go.

lord pie

OK I have to vent, so sorry in advance.

I've had a nexus 5x (Fi) for about 4 months now, moved from a Windows phone - an old phone, but I liked a lot because it fgot the job done and was really reliable.

Other than the quality of third party applications (the two or three I use...) I'm really rather disappointed.

It's a number of really minor but irritating things combined with the general lack of cohesion, the comparatively rubbish typing experience, etc but today really did it.

This morning a calendar event's reminders just didn't go off.

I had an important meeting at 10 this morning. Set three reminders for it in the event, 10m, 30m and 14 hours. Not one went off. *Not one*. Arrived over half an hour late.

I didn't have 'do not disturb' enabled, alarm volume was up. They just don't go off. Nothing.

Whats worse is that this is the second time this has happened, I've also had an event simply disappear on me after I created it.

This is the stock (rubbish) calendar application for my Google account. The same calendar account that worked perfectly on win pho.

How can I rely on this thing if it can mess up such a basic, critical function. >:-(

Nah, we need LG to get as desperate as Samsung was in 2015 and start taking off $200 at retail just to move inventory. By mid September early October the G5 should cost enough for me to be able to deal with the shit build quality.

Ugh, that is worrying. But yes, at $200 off, I could tolerate such issues described. I just liked everything else about it. It's not too jumbotastic in hand and the internal hardware seems nice.

Hasney

Can someone save Android tablet land? Nobody has released a god damn thing all fucking year.

Nobody can beat a Pixel C right now, but I'm surprised there hasn't been twists on the same chip set for more form factors. Think there's a new NVidia SoC coming, so maybe a new Shield?

Even Samsung have jumped ship to Windows now.

reKon

Banned
2 in 1 devices or bust. They will just continue and continue to get better.

Even the Chinese ones are good, but they are only lacking in battery life.

Jeffrey

OK I have to vent, so sorry in advance.

I've had a nexus 5x (Fi) for about 4 months now, moved from a Windows phone - an old phone, but I liked a lot because it fgot the job done and was really reliable.

Other than the quality of third party applications (the two or three I use...) I'm really rather disappointed.

It's a number of really minor but irritating things combined with the general lack of cohesion, the comparatively rubbish typing experience, etc but today really did it.

This morning a calendar event's reminders just didn't go off.

I had an important meeting at 10 this morning. Set three reminders for it in the event, 10m, 30m and 14 hours. Not one went off. *Not one*. Arrived over half an hour late.

I didn't have 'do not disturb' enabled, alarm volume was up. They just don't go off. Nothing.

Whats worse is that this is the second time this has happened, I've also had an event simply disappear on me after I created it.

This is the stock (rubbish) calendar application for my Google account. The same calendar account that worked perfectly on win pho.

How can I rely on this thing if it can mess up such a basic, critical function. >:-(

Wonder if this was a setting issue somewhere. Has notifications ever worked for you before. If you set an event an hour from now with notifications. Do they appear?

Saiyan-Rox

Only used it for a bit, but it's definitely nice. Got the update and the RAM issues that apparently plagued the phone is non-existent. Screen issue is overblown. sRGB is garbage. Turned that shit right back off. Fingerprint is amazing. It's fast and accurate. Much better than my HTC 10.

Yeah I don't get the reports on the normal colours being bad :/ not that I mind sRGB either both have their own flair but I agree it off is much much better. still tempted to flash CM13 though cause of the notification and slider issue but I won't wanna get rid of android pay

Because Android tablets are useless.

That's just not true i use my Pixel C daily

Saiyan-Rox

So you'd recommend the OP3?

Personally I would yes just make sure you know it's downside also. the customer support is so bad it's non existent. and the software has a few issues one of which is the fact notifications except SMS (like Gmail, Whatsapp etc) Wont pop up until you wake the phone up or the Ambient Display lights up.

Also a small issue with the alert slider that if you move it too fast then the phone won't actually come out of silent mode so you need to move it slowly. The software is where the phone really has issues tbh but if you want to flash CM13 or something you'll be fine.

We need a new Nexus 7.

Unfortunately I think Amazon's junk tier £50 Kindle 7 tablet have cornered the market for the casuals. Its either that or splash out on something that costs Ipad money.

Nobody wants to make a respectable mid-range £100-£150 tablet :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am also waiting to get a new tablet. I'd be happy with my Zenpad if it would get an update. But no, I'm stuck on Lollipop. Never buy Asus if you care about firmware. Never, ever.

Mindwipe

I am also waiting to get a new tablet. I'd be happy with my Zenpad if it would get an update. But no, I'm stuck on Lollipop. Never buy Asus if you care about firmware. Never, ever.

That wasn't obvious from the state of the firmware when it shipped?

I would like a hardware update for my N7, but I felt dirty even touching the Zenpad at IFA last year.

The LG G5 in September when at $400 after LG realizes how badly they fucked up and need to get rid of inventory in advance for the savior G6.

G5 has a removable battery.
G5 has an IR blaster.
G5 has a quality display.
G5 has a fingerprint sensor
G5 has microsd support.

At $400 to $420 this is a deal.

aaaaaaaaalmost there

LG G5 Factory Unlocked is available for $445 on Amazon. I'm pretty sure this works worldwide.

Debating on it, what do you guys say?

https://www.amazon.com/H860-5-3-Inch-Unlocked-International-Warranty/dp/B01DZORCVW/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1469451045&sr=1-5&keywords=lg+g5

*starts a bonfire*
*encloses mile wide area with a dome*
*tosses in millions of Z compact series smartphones*

Unfortunately our dream is over. Our campaign lost. No OEM gives a fuck about sub 5 inch flagships.

The closest we get is the LG G5 but that feels huge as shit in the hand. It might as well be 5.5 inches. Maybe LG will take a hint and release a 4.7 inch version of G5 to compete with Samsung next year.

I have to say that my Mi5 feels surprisingly small in my hand it's a 5.15" screen but still nice and extremely light too. Seems same weight as the Z3 compact but slightly thinner.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6948&idPhone2=6538&idPhone3=8056

Jeffrey

Will there ever be a point where Android multitasking will just not reload apps ever? Is the aggressive booting stuff outta memory a battery saving thing or performance?

I know its apple and oranges, but man am I spoiled by my ipad pro where the only time I see an app reload is after a reboot from installing a update.

I hear good things about OP3 with some root tweaks? idk.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Will there ever be a point where Android multitasking will just not reload apps ever? Is the aggressive booting stuff outta memory a battery saving thing or performance?

I know its apple and oranges, but man am I spoiled by my ipad pro where the only time I see an app reload is after a reboot from installing a update.

It all depends on how many apps you cycle between and browser habits. Heavy chrome tab browsing can knock most everything else out of RAM.

A little bit of both I reckon. As for your Q, how old is your device and how much RAM has it got - i thought more recent versions of android are better for Memory management, I really want to try out a recent 4GB android phone just to see how far things have moved on since my G2.

Really kicking myself for not getting in on the $75 B&H Giftcard promotion. Now I feel like I want to buy the phone again, but I'm being held back by the fact that I know I am not getting the "Best" deal.

FFP2

Any pro tips to improve the battery life on the S7?

Greenify didn't really do anything for me even with most settings turned on. Try rooting it and install Naptime w/Aggressive Doze. 0,5% overnight drain per hour. I also put my brightness 2 steps below 50%. I got 5hrs30min SOT yesterday (20% battery left) with 4 hours of that being Pokemon Go.

Does anyone have any tweaks to make MyFitnessPal not reload so often? I thought upgrading would get rid of that issue. Multitasking works fine apart from that.

Top Bottom