• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Gotta wonder if the Axon 7 has sold really well or if they just under supplied it. Amazon has shipping listed as 3-5 weeks, Newegg changed the preorder date to September which I assume means they do not have any in-stock, ZTE's page also says ships in September now, B&H doesn't have a date anymore and no estimate for delivery, and Best Buy pushed the date back to July 29th.

Gotta wonder if the Axon 7 has sold really well or if they just under supplied it. Amazon has shipping listed as 3-5 weeks, Newegg changed the preorder date to September which I assume means they do not have any in-stock, ZTE's page also says ships in September now, B&H doesn't have a date anymore and no estimate for delivery, and Best Buy pushed the date back to July 29th.

Last I checked, ZTE'S eBay channel had the Gray unit shipping early on August 3rd.

Noema

How are they with software updates? But yeah its the only interesting looking phone I've seen forcyears.

New phone from a new company so we have no idea.

But the bootloader is unlocked so it'll probably have decent community support for custom ROMS.

Not sure if this is a proper place to ask this, but here goes.

What is a Samsung Galaxy J3? Never heard about it before and I need a new phone. I like it because it seems like a basic smart phone and it's cheap too.

I'm just curious as to why I've never heard about it before.

I'm thinking about trying to be funny and downloading some Chinese rock music to celebrate my new Axon 7. I'll play it at work most likely. Any suggestions? I'm definitely eating Chinese food.

No Love

Banned
Getting an Axon 7 on Friday at my local Best Buy. They had no idea WTF I was talking about. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Mindwipe

Hey, did you notice how the iPhone SE pulled Apple's ass out of the fire this quarter and maybe some Android OEMs should ship some small phones?

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey, did you notice how the iPhone SE pulled Apple's ass out of the fire this quarter and maybe some Android OEMs should ship some small phones?

"Cheap iPhone" sells, they could have packed it in manure and it still would have sold.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If that's how other manufacturers see it, guaranteed you'll find a ton of small phones. Monkey see, monkey do.

Donos

Anybody know a good budget phone for around €200? I just need a phone that can handle skype and have decent battery life.

200 € gives you rather powerfull smartphone nowadays. Like the Umi super.
If you don't mind china stuff then Xiaomi, Huawai and other manufactors have decent stuff.

or Samsung Galaxy A3 or Galaxy S5. Almost all big name manufactors have a good 200 € phone (LG, Sony, HTC Desire)

I have a S7 Edge that I had to factory reset and re-download pretty much everything but now about half of my apps on my home screens are greyed out, they all work perfectly fine it's just very aesthetically unpleasing. How do I fix this? I've tried removing them and re-pinning them but that does nothing, I've noticed they changed to grey after updating them.

Edit: Nevermind! It was just my theme being weird, reapplied it and it's back to normal.

Asgaro

If this starts to happen I'll be all like...

TxpDsrF.gif

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm still collecting my thoughts about it, but the Axon 7 is a pretty good phone so far. It has some software quirks that just befuddle me though....

1. you have to press a notification 'bell' to see notifications on the lockscreen. I guess this is a privacy thing, but it's more of a hassle imo. YMMV

2. It has an option for a 'silent boot'. that's cute

3. my god the speakers are loud

4. the gold version isn't really gold at all. It's...a light very light bronze. I kinda dig it.

I'm still collecting my thoughts about it, but the Axon 7 is a pretty good phone so far. It has some software quirks that just befuddle me though....

1. you have to press a notification 'bell' to see notifications on the lockscreen. I guess this is a privacy thing, but it's more of a hassle imo. YMMV

4. the gold version isn't really gold at all. It's...a light very light bronze. I kinda dig it.

Can you toggle the bell off?

Getting an Axon 7 on Friday at my local Best Buy. They had no idea WTF I was talking about. Really looking forward to trying it out.

How does it feel to be the cool guy buying the super phone only smart nerds know about?

It benchmarks higher performance than the Galaxy 7, has a screen on par with the Galaxy 7 only bigger, better battery life than the Galaxy 7, best in class audio, usb type c, and double the storage space. The camera isn't as good as the Galaxy 7 but many think it's better than the latest iphone which is good. It is half the price of the 5.5 inch Edge without the gimmick. What is not to like? Lol

mackattk

Silent boot? Awesome! I hate booting sounds. I am going to guess that the notification bell is going to be given an option in a future update. That is one of the main complaints about the software, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets patched soon.

what's with the buzz surrounding the Axon? :O
been wanting to grab a second phone and line for purely work

For me? I got in on the $75 BH Photo gift card/headphones deal... Even at full price it is an incredible deal, especially with all the accessories you get (USB-C cable, QC3.0 charger, TPU case, screen protector, and headphones). The case, probably won't keep too long but it is something that will be good enough to get me by until I find a case that I really do want. Basically is a $700 flagship at a $400 price point. Looks really solid and has gotten good feedback from users already. I am really looking forward to testing out the speakers/DAC headphone jack. The only qualm that I have seen is the camera isn't as good as the S7, but it seems to do pretty well. The warranty is really nice too.

reKon

Banned
How does it feel to be the cool guy buying the super phone only smart nerds know about?

It benchmarks higher performance than the Galaxy 7, has a screen on par with the Galaxy 7 only bigger, better battery life than the Galaxy 7, best in class audio, usb type c, and double the storage space. The camera isn't as good as the Galaxy 7 but many think it's better than the latest iphone which is good. It is half the price of the 5.5 inch Edge without the gimmick. What is not to like? Lol

You're stretching a bunch of things in this post.

Talon

Wait, 3450 mAH battery in a Nexus?

supa-hot-fire.gif

Samsung is never getting back to 30 trillion won with their mobile (IM) division (roughly $27 billion dollars).

EarningsResult_2016Q2_Main_1.jpg

reKon

Banned
Watched an Axon review. Damsn... This phone has to be the budget highend king right now. If the camera was better than the One Plus 3, then it wouldn't even be a question. They really killed it on the design.

mackattk

Watched an Axon review. Damsn... This phone has to be the budget highend king right now. If the camera was better than the One Plus 3, then it wouldn't even be a question. They really killed it on the design.

Wanting to read some more reviews on the phone, especially with the camera... Mine got shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow.

Going by the official ZTE forums, the guy with the wifi problems, ZTE reached out to him and are getting him fixed up. So that's good.

mackattk

reKon

Banned
No I am not. This is pulled straight from PC MAG and Android Authority in the reviews. Only the camera comparison is pulled from word of mouth.

http://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-review-704039/

http://www.pcmag.com/review/346194/zte-axon-7

Not sure why you're comparing to a smaller phone. We need more benchmarks, but it's not likely to achieve better battery than the S7 Edge (US version). It definitely will not beat the S7 Edge (Int'version) as this is holy grail of Android battery life right now. Both versions of the Galaxy S7 not only have a great camera, but it's considered to be one of the world's best phone camaras (but you've already acknowledged that it's better).

The S7 Edge is waterproof, has wireless fast charging, and Samsung pay. Not everyone will use this things these, but they are definitely not gimmicks. Samsung Pay is arguably better than both Android and Apple pay...

The Int'l version of the Galaxy S7 Edge is the world's top performing Android phone right now as well.

There are certainly some pros to the Axon 7 over the Galaxy phones though with the superior audio, from facing speakers, and higher built in storage to name a few. I'm just saying that it's not accurate to state that it's better at doing at a bunch of things or saying it's an overall better phone when it's not.

Btw regarding pricing, the Int'l version (superior version), has been continuously dropping each month with various sales. I think it's been hitting that 600 USD mark so it's looking like 200 USD premium.

It looks like the Axon is definitely the best bang for buck, but I can't call it a better phone than the S7 Edge.

Not sure why you're comparing to a smaller phone. We need more benchmarks, but it's not likely to achieve better battery than the S7 Edge (US version). It definitely will not beat the S7 Edge (Int'version) as this is holy grail of Android battery life right now. Both versions of the Galaxy S7 not only have a great camera, but it's considered to be one of the world's best phone camaras (but you've already acknowledged that it's better).

The S7 Edge is waterproof, has wireless fast charging, and Samsung pay. Not everyone will use this things these, but they are definitely not gimmicks. Samsung Pay is arguably better than both Android and Apple pay...

The Int'l version of the Galaxy S7 Edge is the world's top performing Android phone right now as well.

There are certainly some pros to the Axon 7 over the Galaxy phones though with the superior audio, from facing speakers, and higher built in storage to name a few. I'm just saying that it's not accurate to state that it's better at doing at a bunch of things or saying it's an overall better phone when it's not.

Btw regarding pricing, the Int'l version (superior version), has been continuously dropping each month with various sales. I think it's been hitting that 600 USD mark so it's looking like 200 USD premium.

It looks like the Axon is definitely the best bang for buck, but I can't call it a better phone than the S7 Edge.

No one was comparing it to the Edge overall, except in an aside calling its screen a gimmick. It was a direct comparison to the galaxy 7 base model.

Jigolo

they've literally shoved a fingerprint reader and logo on the back of an HTC10. I wouldn't take these shots for anything.
that's why I said lol we shall see. it just looks like shitty Photoshop

in terms of the phone having 2.5d glass, is all but guaranteed in my eyes. every single flagship has it

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How is the front capacitive buttons? They seem kinda small and cramped. Quick go get used to?

They're cramped - I keep going back the 6P layout, since it's the phone I'm coming from. Getting used to it though

Can't believe I'm using a ZTE phone lol

Jeffrey

They're cramped - I keep going back the 6P layout, since it's the phone I'm coming from. Getting used to it though

Can't believe I'm using a ZTE phone lol

Would be nice if it had options for buttons on the display like one plus.

How's the included tpu case and headphones?

Top Bottom